These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Deployable Item: Candle Beacon

Author
Veskin Sentinel
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2017-02-19 11:22:43 UTC
Hello!

I have an idea that has been going through my mind for some time.

We all know that we can use Cynos to commemorate those of us who have left us and gather together. But I am thinking of something smaller - a tiny deployable beacon that emits a glowing orange light, resembling a candle. Something that everyone could place in space, in various locations and have a tranquil moment of silence while they or other pilots watch the soft light and remember their lost ones or celebrate various occasions.

It can be really simple.

1. A Candle Beacon should be able to be deployed just like a MTU, with a short activation delay.

2. It should last between 1 day and let’s say 10 days (variations of the beacon).

3. It should be able to be destroyed by anyone, without reinforcement timers and Crimewatch flags on the attacker’s head, also without sending a message to the owner of the beacon, to avoid spam.

4. It should be able to be named to display a message, saying why it has been put there, pretty much like the Mobile Depots that have been used for this to date.

5. It should be produced by industry, using a few basic materials and sold on the market, but let’s hope that won’t put too much pressure on the Amarr economy... ;)

6. There should be some deploying restrictions to avoid too much cluttering, should someone decide to deploy them en masse, but in general they should be able to be deployed in large quantities.

7. A Candle Beacon should be rendered well and should put very little pressure to the server and system, pretty much like a bookmark icon.

A Candle Beacon should be used for good purposes, generally to commemorate folks that have left us or NPCs that we are missing, or for any other light minded occasion.

Both Cynos and Candle Beacons can be used in conjunction to display beautiful sights for the ones we want to remember.

I really hope that this can be used properly should it be implemented.

Hope you guys like the idea. If you have some suggestions, would be cool to discuss here.

www.veskin7.blogspot.com - my EVE related blog.

Lugh Crow-Slave
#2 - 2017-02-19 12:03:25 UTC
why? we already just use cans. cans are near impossible to kill in HS and altogether can't be scanned down. Cans can be named and put anywhere and to my knowledge they stay there until unanchored.
Veskin Sentinel
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2017-02-19 12:21:02 UTC
I just like the option to deploy something that is more visually resembling a candle.

Lugh Crow-Slave
#4 - 2017-02-19 12:30:37 UTC
.... so light a cyno lol.

overall i don't see how this is worth the dev time and i can already see the GMs lives getting harder as they get reports of peoples "candles" getting shot
Veskin Sentinel
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2017-02-19 12:41:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Veskin Sentinel
Hehe, fair to say...

It is just a small idea.

It is based around the concept of a peaceful moment of reflection, when you light a candle and watch the soft fire burn, remembering someone or celebrating something. Maybe not worth the dev time at this point, yes, but I still like it.

I will just leave it here.

Adding some more notes:

8. A Candle Beacon should not be something that you can warp to, unlike other deployables, to avoid people using it as a tactical warp in.

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#6 - 2017-02-19 13:45:34 UTC
Veskin Sentinel wrote:
It is based around the concept of a peaceful moment of reflection, when you light a candle and watch the soft fire burn, remembering someone or celebrating something. Maybe not worth the dev time at this point, yes, but I still like it.

Put a candle on your desk, light as needed for your moments of reflection while playing EvE, easier, faster and it does not take dev time to implement.
Survik Gaterau
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2017-02-19 13:59:10 UTC
It sounds like Concord banners for me. Id like to see that alliances could drop banners and select ad to be displayed (same ads as displayed in outposts, but selectizable here).
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#8 - 2017-02-19 14:04:26 UTC
In the past players light cyno's.

Can even be seen on the map.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Wolfgang Jannesen
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2017-02-19 14:33:06 UTC
We don't need any more trash floating in space. Is there a gameplay reason for this thing?
Veskin Sentinel
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2017-02-19 18:53:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Veskin Sentinel
Let's have some example.

Fireworks and snowballs in EVE - they exist and they don't need any specific core-gameplay reason to be there. They simply provide some enjoyment during some specific occasions of celebration. One could say they are some cosmetic addition when compared to other gameplay elements.

Same is for these "space candles". They are meant to simply provide some enjoyment on the rare occasions when we want to commemorate a player that has passed away, or when we want to celebrate a birthday in the game's virtual realm.

Let's bring some more examples. Explosions and sun visuals. New explosions were introduced some time ago and everyone was really hyped. In the latest o7 Show CCP showed us a work-in-progress prototype of new sun visuals and they look amazing. So it is good to invest in such things, they bring some good enjoyment and are not strictly "gameplay oriented" additions.

In the spirit of these examples I simply want to present this "space candle" idea and based on the feedback it will be decided if it is good or not. :)

Ronnie Rose
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2017-02-19 20:15:10 UTC
I'm for Candle Bacon!

Sorry, couldn't resist P

We're not here to change the game, we're here to change YOUR game

Wolfgang Jannesen
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2017-02-20 14:47:45 UTC
Veskin Sentinel wrote:
Let's have some example.

Fireworks and snowballs in EVE - they exist and they don't need any specific core-gameplay reason to be there. They simply provide some enjoyment during some specific occasions of celebration. One could say they are some cosmetic addition when compared to other gameplay elements.

Same is for these "space candles". They are meant to simply provide some enjoyment on the rare occasions when we want to commemorate a player that has passed away, or when we want to celebrate a birthday in the game's virtual realm.

Let's bring some more examples. Explosions and sun visuals. New explosions were introduced some time ago and everyone was really hyped. In the latest o7 Show CCP showed us a work-in-progress prototype of new sun visuals and they look amazing. So it is good to invest in such things, they bring some good enjoyment and are not strictly "gameplay oriented" additions.

In the spirit of these examples I simply want to present this "space candle" idea and based on the feedback it will be decided if it is good or not. :)

There are novelty items but they're given away on special events, I don't see why this exists other than 'It'll provide nice soft lighting'