These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Sick and tired of shield miners

First post First post
Author
Cade Windstalker
#161 - 2017-02-15 02:56:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Cade Windstalker
Amojin wrote:
No Cade, not three times the fitting space. The same fitting space, but 3 times as powerful. As for your complaints about the T3 system... Well.

Then that's just a broken buff to mining ships that doesn't need to happen, at all. It removes fitting choice and buffs miners when there's no indication they're in need of the buff.

Amojin wrote:
Problematic for whom?

Why? I happen to love being able to switch out subsytems and yes, that expectation has led to exactly what I want, now. CCP has done this. Why can't I, then, do like you all have done, and just say, too fricking bad? You think CCP should cater to you just because you pay?

It's different, isn't it, when it's stuff you don't like?

The fact is they released these, and from what I can see, the overwhelming majority of players, LOVE them. I love my Proteus. A few 20-50m subsystems and it can be anything I need it to be. Not as great as the dedicated T2 ship, no, but close enough to get the job done.

What am I supposed to hate about having a ship that you, really are not sure what the hell it might be fielding or what it's doing?

T3s are terrible for the game because they invalidate so many ship classes. They're a cruiser class ship with Battleship level fittings and tank, and they can be about 70% as good as any specialty ship, often a couple at the same time, all without losing much of that tank.

The problem is, in fact, that they're better than most of the dedicated ships that might compete with them.

Also if you're even half decent at the game and spend any amount of time fighting T3s you can make a pretty good guess at what someone has fitted by just looked at the model and the guns.

CCP has flat out said T3s are getting a rework, everyone who pays attention to the CSM and Eve's development knows T3Cs are in for a major rework to make them not amazingly broken. If you didn't know this hi, T3Cs are going to be reworked at some point.
Salvos Rhoska
#162 - 2017-02-15 08:53:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Cade Windstalker wrote:

CCP has flat out said T3s are getting a rework, everyone who pays attention to the CSM and Eve's development knows T3Cs are in for a major rework to make them not amazingly broken. If you didn't know this hi, T3Cs are going to be reworked at some point.

I can give you that timeline.

T3Cs will be reworked in exactly 14d 9hr 23m 34s,
which is the exact moment I can finally step into a fully skilled Tengu.
Kiddoomer
The Red Sequence
#163 - 2017-02-15 11:23:01 UTC
9 pages about that and noone talked about mobile depot ?

You can have everything with them you know ? your armor tank, full yield fit, ecm , shield tank, drone modules, and all at once.

Mining barges dont have a big cargohold just for mining crystals you know ?

In the name of Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen : “Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.”

Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#164 - 2017-02-15 12:01:04 UTC
Oh my. 9 pages in a thread that started as basically "remake barges stats, slot layouts and some modules for no particular reason".
Amojin
Doomheim
#165 - 2017-02-15 14:56:21 UTC
Barrogh Habalu wrote:
Oh my. 9 pages in a thread that started as basically "remake barges stats, slot layouts and some modules for no particular reason".

Sure, let's go with that. I made a simple suggestion/request. In 9 pages, we are surely in danger of beating a horse, if not yet dead, is surely in imminent danger of expiring? This place is a toxic mill that produces both hate and pride fulfillment, in equal quantities. You go on here, post one thing, and if you were irritated when you did, by the time you've read the 'helpful' replies, your angst will be much increased, but boy won't someone else be proud of their clever, witty, hate-filled retort? They showed you! Yeah.

Well, I'm done with this place for the time being. If you all wanna whack this thing a few more times to make sure you really killed it, go ahead, but I'm not going to subject myself to being annoyed and displeased, when I don't HAVE to, and you know what, I really don't have to, because it's not feeding ME any pride to participate in the rampant escalation. Haters gonna hate, yup yup.

Thanks for the cookies, and seeyas around.
Wolfgang Jannesen
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#166 - 2017-02-15 15:00:16 UTC
Amojin wrote:
Barrogh Habalu wrote:

Sure, let's go with that. I made a simple suggestion/request. In 9 pages, we are surely in danger of beating a horse, if not yet dead, is surely in imminent danger of expiring? This place is a toxic mill that produces both hate and pride fulfillment, in equal quantities. You go on here, post one thing, and if you were irritated when you did, by the time you've read the 'helpful' replies, your angst will be much increased, but boy won't someone else be proud of their clever, witty, hate-filled retort? They showed you! Yeah.

Well, I'm done with this place for the time being. If you all wanna whack this thing a few more times to make sure you really killed it, go ahead, but I'm not going to subject myself to being annoyed and displeased, when I don't HAVE to, and you know what, I really don't have to, because it's not feeding ME any pride to participate in the rampant escalation. Haters gonna hate, yup yup.

No you just didn't have a very good idea \o/
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#167 - 2017-02-15 18:35:49 UTC
Amojin wrote:
Barrogh Habalu wrote:

So, after reading all your replies, I must say - you are just about the coolest most centered person I have ever met. I would love to play eve with you. I'm extending an invitation to join my corp. We could use a guy like you. Feel free to drop an application. Send me a mail directly also so I can streamline your application progress.

Fly safe!
Cade Windstalker
#168 - 2017-02-15 18:57:31 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
So, after reading all your replies, I must say - you are just about the coolest most centered person I have ever met. I would love to play eve with you. I'm extending an invitation to join my corp. We could use a guy like you. Feel free to drop an application. Send me a mail directly also so I can streamline your application progress.

Fly safe!

You and I have very different definitions of "cool and centered"...

Mine generally doesn't involve resorting to insults the instant one of my ideas is critiqued.
Elenahina
No.Mercy
Triumvirate.
#169 - 2017-02-15 20:38:14 UTC
Amojin wrote:

Already talked about that. Shield tanked Ishtar is a joke, now. They rebalanced a lot of slot layouts to make you stop being an asshat and play your race. The Ishtar one, included. You're not gonna shield tank an Ishtar and get away it, today.

ROFL. People still shield tank Ishtars all the time - it leaves the lows open for DDA's, which make the ship a lot more effective than it would be with an armor tank.

I don't get why this is such a big deal.It's not like this is new. Barges and exhumers have always been shield tanked, by and large.

Also, the reason that the ships use Gallente Engineering is because ORE was originally a Gallentean corporation. Learn your lore.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Elenahina
No.Mercy
Triumvirate.
#170 - 2017-02-15 20:41:30 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Cien Banchiere wrote:
Why are you so angry?

He has led a shielded life.

I see what you did there.

Elenahina
No.Mercy
Triumvirate.
#171 - 2017-02-15 20:50:25 UTC
Amojin wrote:
Cien Banchiere wrote:
Sounds like a human error and not a design error that you and others are not paying attention. I know how it goes. I currently am fodder for gate rats.

I agree, EXCEPT, as I have said, over and over, again. There is a pattern.

CCP has made it a pattern that both tank types can fulfill all roles.

EXCEPT mining.

Really. Would you like to know why people armor tank blackbirds and falcons? Or did you never worry about that because those dirty Caldari ships are all shield tanked. Hell, we even used to armor tank scorpions back in the day.

Your statement is only true in a general sort of way about the general combat ships. The more specialized roles tend to be better filled by one or the other, depending on what they are specialized to do, and where the upgrade modules for that role go.

Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#172 - 2017-02-15 21:05:49 UTC
Amojin wrote:
Barrogh Habalu wrote:

You could have posted your idea in the correct forum section, which would have attracted far fewer trolls. Then you could have actually read the responses, and I'd say there were quite a few ones that told you in a respectful and well worded manner why your idea isn't exactly great, and certainly not needed. You could have accepted that and everybody would be happy, horned horses, rainbows, pancakes and all.

If you keep coming back to defend your bad idea by repeating the same tired arguments over and over and over again for nine pages, any discussion will eventually turn sour. But see the positive side of things: We've reached nine pages and didn't have a Hitler comparison yet. That is pretty good by internet standards.
Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#173 - 2017-02-15 21:31:18 UTC
Elenahina wrote:
Amojin wrote:

Already talked about that. Shield tanked Ishtar is a joke, now. They rebalanced a lot of slot layouts to make you stop being an asshat and play your race. The Ishtar one, included. You're not gonna shield tank an Ishtar and get away it, today.

ROFL. People still shield tank Ishtars all the time - it leaves the lows open for DDA's, which make the ship a lot more effective than it would be with an armor tank.

I don't get why this is such a big deal.It's not like this is new. Barges and exhumers have always been shield tanked, by and large.

Also, the reason that the ships use Gallente Engineering is because ORE was originally a Gallentean corporation. Learn your lore.

Also makes kiting a hell of a lot easier without all that plate holding you down.

A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#174 - 2017-02-16 00:14:18 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Serendipity Lost wrote:

Fly safe!

You and I have very different definitions of "cool and centered"...

Mine generally doesn't involve resorting to insults the instant one of my ideas is critiqued.
Shh.. It's a trap.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#175 - 2017-02-16 04:51:59 UTC
oh boy, OP is an angry person...

Just Add Water

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#176 - 2017-02-16 05:16:51 UTC
Won't anyone think of the poor hull miners!

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Cade Windstalker
#177 - 2017-02-16 14:41:47 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Shh.. It's a trap.

I'm honestly not sure given the player in question's corp and recent posting history, so I decided to just take their words at face value. More fun that way Blink
Salvos Rhoska
#178 - 2017-02-16 15:29:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
A T3 mining ship is an intriguing notion, as is a separate faction based miner line.

But the OPness of existing T3 lines, and the extant capacity of ORE variants to fulfill their job, argues against them.

As I said, I was pissed off that SOE covert ops/exploration bonused ships only applied to armor, drone, gallente/amar skilled players.

But I dealt with it. I skilled up.
Amojin
Doomheim
#179 - 2017-02-16 17:05:08 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:

You could have posted your idea in the correct forum section, which would have attracted far fewer trolls. Then you could have actually read the responses, and I'd say there were quite a few ones that told you in a respectful and well worded manner why your idea isn't exactly great, and certainly not needed. You could have accepted that and everybody would be happy, horned horses, rainbows, pancakes and all.

If you keep coming back to defend your bad idea by repeating the same tired arguments over and over and over again for nine pages, any discussion will eventually turn sour. But see the positive side of things: We've reached nine pages and didn't have a Hitler comparison yet. That is pretty good by internet standards.

I read every single one of them, even the ones that were deleted. My mistakes are two-fold, first in thinking that the anger could be burned out, like it is when I let someone do it in real life. There is no venting and being burned out, on the internet, since they can take a few hours or days between responses, and you are dealing with too many people; but you're talking to someone that has never owned a cell phone, or social media account, and doesn't intend to ever start. I was applying interpersonal time-frame to what is, inherently, what I said it was, a non-stop pulp-mill of toxic hate and pride fulfillment, for at least a segment of the participants.

Secondarily, in assuming that miners even want to tank. I had assumed that there would be some backup, some offended miners saying that they wanted such. There was, one. Out of all those posts. One guy, two at the outside, that said, yeah, I sacrifice some yield for some tank. It appears that most miners don't tank at all, even most skiffs are fitted with yield mods in the hope that 'it will be enough.' So, yes, that being the case, my idea is going to lack community support, since my so-called 'peers,' by and large, don't care about tanking. They're not, in all honesty, my peers, though. While I have invested a significant amount of time to fly this skiff, I do it with gritted teeth watching that shield module animation play, and I don't just do mining or relegate my mining to an alt. This one character is all I play. It's not very old, as you experienced players count time, and I have to learn a lot of stuff through trial and error, and losing stuff from bad fittings or poor decisions. That's part of the process, and there is no way to convince me that you all did not have a signficant period of time when, even if you are elite now, at one time you were not so wonderful. This is a complex game, to say the least, and I'm diversified into doing several things simultaneously, and yes, sometimes I get bad advice. When do I know it's bad? When it blows up.

The bottom line, though, is that a lot of the posts were just made because people were able to hit someone with some little nugget of expertise I don't have, or just for the hell of it. I think you'll notice that when people were not terribly rude to me, I was not, to them, either. Some of the other threads do look interesting, however, so I'll just resign myself to having to relearn certain aspects of my normal behavior, foremost of which is to remember to be nice, not for you, but for my own mental balance, even when dozens of you are insulting me. I let myself respond in kind to many of your insults, much faster than I would have in real life, since I was being hit a lot more than I am in real life - I've usually only had an argument 1 on 1, and this is a new experience. For the most part, I don't do online social media.

So, for those of you that were actually discussing, I think I said thank-you, and was civil. If I missed anyone, then I beg your forgiveness, it was an oversight. For those that just attacked because they had time to insert a one-liner, well, haters gonna hate, yup yup. I need to learn to ignore you, which will probably get easier pretty fast.
Cade Windstalker
#180 - 2017-02-16 17:20:55 UTC
Amojin wrote:
I read every single one of them, even the ones that were deleted. My mistakes are two-fold, first in thinking that the anger could be burned out, like it is when I let someone do it in real life. There is no venting and being burned out, on the internet, since they can take a few hours or days between responses, and you are dealing with too many people; but you're talking to someone that has never owned a cell phone, or social media account, and doesn't intend to ever start. I was applying interpersonal time-frame to what is, inherently, what I said it was, a non-stop pulp-mill of toxic hate and pride fulfillment, for at least a segment of the participants.

I'd like to point out a couple more here. First, in thinking that any of this is really hate based. I don't even think the trolls hate you, and I certainly don't, I just think your idea is bad. The trolls do too, for the most part, or they're just looking to get a response. In either case digging in your heels and ignoring the points people were making against your idea was never going to be a winning move.

Second, you're lumping everyone into the same bucket here, and being *really* insulting about it. Not everyone has this massive need to be right, some of us have just played a lot more than you and know the numbers better and enjoy discussing ideas that put that knowledge to use. I don't really care if I'm right, I care if there's a good discussion, and talking at you has been like talking to an ostrich.

Amojin wrote:
Secondarily, in assuming that miners even want to tank. I had assumed that there would be some backup, some offended miners saying that they wanted such. There was, one. Out of all those posts. One guy, two at the outside, that said, yeah, I sacrifice some yield for some tank. It appears that most miners don't tank at all, even most skiffs are fitted with yield mods in the hope that 'it will be enough.' So, yes, that being the case, my idea is going to lack community support, since my so-called 'peers,' by and large, don't care about tanking. They're not, in all honesty, my peers, though. While I have invested a significant amount of time to fly this skiff, I do it with gritted teeth watching that shield module animation play, and I don't just do mining or relegate my mining to an alt. This one character is all I play. It's not very old, as you experienced players count time, and I have to learn a lot of stuff through trial and error, and losing stuff from bad fittings or poor decisions. That's part of the process, and there is no way to convince me that you all did not have a signficant period of time when, even if you are elite now, at one time you were not so wonderful. This is a complex game, to say the least, and I'm diversified into doing several things simultaneously, and yes, sometimes I get bad advice. When do I know it's bad? When it blows up.

This, I think, is also a bad assumption for a few reasons.

First off, miners do tank. I can tell you this from experience. They just shield tank if they're going to at all. They either fit tank on a Hulk or Mack and probably don't get popped, or they fit tank on a Skiff and laugh as people try.

Also, as something of a side note, even the most tanked miner will die sometimes. There is no such thing as an impenetrable tank, only a strong one, and if a group of people really want to gank you there is very little you can do about it in a mining ship. That's the way of Eve.

You're also expecting support, posting on the forums, where people generally will only speak up if they *don't* agree with something, and from a post made in the wrong forums entirely.

Amojin wrote:
The bottom line, though, is that a lot of the posts were just made because people were able to hit someone with some little nugget of expertise I don't have, or just for the hell of it.

And this, I feel, is another bad assumption. The idea that everyone critiquing you or pointing out flaws in your idea or saying it was bad were just out to 'hit you'. If someone knows more than you in this game then try to learn from them, don't just assume that they're being smugly superior and dismiss them as such.

Personally I felt you were nothing but dismissive of the points I brought up, and the more I tried to explain the flaws in your idea the more defensive you got and the more the conversation derailed. You also then went and felt the need to attack me in other threads, which was pretty unwarranted.

So, in short sir, if a bunch of people are telling you that your idea has issues you would do well to listen to them and at least try to understand why they feel that way.