These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Exploration data and relic sites are they worth it?

Author
Crying Assassin
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2017-02-11 17:13:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Crying Assassin
As above
am thinking of doing some exploration in null sec and wh's, having never ventured down this path i am curious if it is profitable to run data and relic sites as a means of income.
I am considering using a stratios, or would i be better off using an astero or a cheap n cheerful heron / imicus or would i be better off just plain old ratting in null?

any advice or fits appreciated
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2017-02-12 03:17:38 UTC
Well, Hacking sites don't have any NPC's to worry about so yeah, it should be profitable in Null sec. Just keep watch on local and make sure you have D-scan and safe spots active.

W-space is a different situation, especially since local chat doesn't give any clue if other players are present in the system.

DMC
Zarek Kree
Lunatic Legion Holdings
#3 - 2017-02-12 22:18:35 UTC
Lot's of people do exploration as their sole means of income, so it's definitely profitable. Some relic sites pay as much as 100M isk. 30M isk is fairly common in a Sansha nullsec relic site.

I would strongly recommend starting out in an Astero unless you're looking to do some PVP while exploring (in which case, I'd go with the Stratios). The speed, agility and covops cloak make getting through gate camps and maneuvering around sites much easier.

A few suggestions:

• Don't waste time exploring in highsec or lowsec space - the real money is in nullsec. Especially if you focus on Sansha and Blood Raider space where you get the best drops.
  • Ignore data sites and focus on relic sites exclusively. Not only are data site drops worth far less, but they take up much more room in your cargo hold. Relic drops are usually extremely small and valuable.
  • Don't bother exploring in wormholes. The unguarded data and relic sites in C1-C3 class holes are identical to those found in nullsec. And those that are guarded by sleepers require a well-fitted combat ship to clear.
Crying Assassin
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2017-02-12 23:36:58 UTC
Zarek Kree wrote:
Lot's of people do exploration as their sole means of income, so it's definitely profitable. Some relic sites pay as much as 100M isk. 30M isk is fairly common in a Sansha nullsec relic site.

I would strongly recommend starting out in an Astero unless you're looking to do some PVP while exploring (in which case, I'd go with the Stratios). The speed, agility and covops cloak make getting through gate camps and maneuvering around sites much easier.

A few suggestions:

• Don't waste time exploring in highsec or lowsec space - the real money is in nullsec. Especially if you focus on Sansha and Blood Raider space where you get the best drops.
  • Ignore data sites and focus on relic sites exclusively. Not only are data site drops worth far less, but they take up much more room in your cargo hold. Relic drops are usually extremely small and valuable.
  • Don't bother exploring in wormholes. The unguarded data and relic sites in C1-C3 class holes are identical to those found in nullsec. And those that are guarded by sleepers require a well-fitted combat ship to clear.

thanks
Shallanna Yassavi
qwertz corp
#5 - 2017-02-14 02:05:22 UTC
I'd start in a T1 exploration frigate, not an Astero. As a newbie, you will make mistakes and get popped sometimes. It's a lot cheaper to do that with, say, a probe (500k hull) than an Astero (60M hull).

A signature :o

erg cz
Federal Jegerouns
#6 - 2017-02-14 09:08:14 UTC  |  Edited by: erg cz
Crying Assassin wrote:
As above
am thinking of doing some exploration in null sec and wh's, having never ventured down this path i am curious if it is profitable to run data and relic sites as a means of income.
I am considering using a stratios, or would i be better off using an astero or a cheap n cheerful heron / imicus or would i be better off just plain old ratting in null?

any advice or fits appreciated

No, it is not profitable. Ganks, crap prices for data / even relic site loot. Plus it is not that much of a loot in null lately any way.

Hope you will not go here so we have less competition.

Now seriosly: use dotlan to avoid null systems with high ADM - signatures there are farmed out within few hours after downtime.
Huttan Funaila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2017-02-14 11:42:56 UTC
Relic sites have much more valuable loot than data sites. By at least an order of magnitude. Generally folks race for the relic sites and leave the data ones alone (there are a couple of data sites that shoot back). I've been building Survey Networks to upgrade our systems and the upgrades make a large difference (both in quantity and quality) when you get to level 5.
Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#8 - 2017-02-15 04:12:44 UTC
Payouts are not what they used to be so don't give too much credit to old reports. I'd say plan on 20-25M for relic and 5-7 for data. Consider it a good day when you get much more than that.

High-sec is less.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#9 - 2017-02-15 04:14:23 UTC
Shiloh Templeton wrote:
High-sec is less.

High-sec pays just enough to incentivize you to get the heck out and explore.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Kaivarian Coste
It Came From Thera
#10 - 2017-03-25 05:39:13 UTC
I kept a short log running relic and data sites in low sec.

Relic sites (Serpentis/Blood Raiders): 45m isk/hr
Data sites (Serpentis/Blood Raiders): 20m isk/hr

I also ran relic sites in WHs and null sec space.

Relic sites (Sansha/Angel mainly): 60-90m isk/hr
Alasdan Helminthauge
AirHogs
Hogs Collective
#11 - 2017-03-25 05:48:28 UTC
If you enjoy scanning and hacking, this would be an interesting activity that can bring you some good profit.
If you're aiming at the isk/hr, better to find something else, like incursion, ratting in null/J-spaces, or blitzing lv4 missions.