These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

So what do you use for mission running and why?

Author
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#21 - 2017-01-08 15:41:03 UTC
I see the usual no missiles ships because counting salvos and travel time and my mind says what the hell. I understand if you are trying to maximize the ISK, LP or standings gains but when you are simply flying missions because bored what does it really matter if you lose one salvo. Personally I never understood the whole salvo counting anyway, I have always flown cruise and with the average ranges in a mission it has never been an issue the current volley always hits before the next one launches.

OP if you are bored and do not care about ISK, LP or standings then get out of the easy mode ships. Try destroyers for level 4 and faction frigates for level 3's, either or both can be an interesting experience, or get really crazy and run your favorite Assault Frigate in level 4's that can be a real challenge.

What do I fly?
Golem most of the time I like the consistent speed that it kills at no matter which NPC I am fighting.
Vargur and Paladin against some NPC for a change of pace.
Machariel to blitz.
Favorite challenge when I am bored is to run level 3's in faction frigate, and when I am in the mood for real challenge I use an Ishkur and go run level 4's.


Karl Jerr
Herzack Unit
#22 - 2017-01-08 22:41:38 UTC
I fly a rail Proteus with sometime a command/logi Proteus on a 2nd account.

I do not seek efficiency, even if in some hours I do good (incl loot/salvage), but I love the Proteus and I find it simply fun Bear
Nanoka Kohinata
Doomheim
#23 - 2017-01-11 05:44:08 UTC
1) HAM Tengu for L4.

2) Bookmark.

3) Come back in Noctis with perfect Noctis and salvaging skills.

4) Profit.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#24 - 2017-01-11 21:10:01 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
I see the usual no missiles ships because counting salvos and travel time and my mind says what the hell. I understand if you are trying to maximize the ISK, LP or standings gains but when you are simply flying missions because bored what does it really matter if you lose one salvo. Personally I never understood the whole salvo counting anyway, I have always flown cruise and with the average ranges in a mission it has never been an issue the current volley always hits before the next one launches.

OP if you are bored and do not care about ISK, LP or standings then get out of the easy mode ships. Try destroyers for level 4 and faction frigates for level 3's, either or both can be an interesting experience, or get really crazy and run your favorite Assault Frigate in level 4's that can be a real challenge.

What do I fly?
Golem most of the time I like the consistent speed that it kills at no matter which NPC I am fighting.
Vargur and Paladin against some NPC for a change of pace.
Machariel to blitz.
Favorite challenge when I am bored is to run level 3's in faction frigate, and when I am in the mood for real challenge I use an Ishkur and go run level 4's.


losing one salvo every now and then, I can agree with the so what attitude. However losing a volley for every ship you shoot at, well that is adding ~8 seconds for every ship and that will add up quickly (for a cnr/golem). Miscounting volleys is worse than over kill, as the NPC might rep and require multiple volleys to finish off. Thankfully with cruise and bastion you don't have to volley count for most mission ranges. And a Barghest almost never has to volley count.

Now a ham tengu fires every 2 seconds and has a ~7s flight time, meaning you can waste multiple volleys.

And that is why I use turret boats, my guns stop shooting as soon as it dies and I can shoot the next sucker.

and ishkur in lv4s sounds like the most boring thing ever, orbit 100km, launch drones, go afk for 3 hours because that's how long it takes for them to kill everything, I used to afk grind sec status that way.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#25 - 2017-01-13 14:50:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
losing one salvo every now and then, I can agree with the so what attitude. However losing a volley for every ship you shoot at, well that is adding ~8 seconds for every ship and that will add up quickly (for a cnr/golem).

Time spent while doing something you enjoy is never "wasted", in that context you are wrong those 8 seconds per ship simply do not matter. If you have to count volleys on a cruise missile mission ship you are flying it wrong, or you are flying it for the wrong reason. Cruises missiles are perhaps the longest ranged sub-cap weapons in the game and they fill a role that way in missions that is the wrong way to fly them. Get in close, close enough that your average flight time to target is less than your launchers cycle time and you will NEVER have to count volleys again and you minimize the "wasted" time due to missiles traveling to their targets.

Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
Miscounting volleys is worse than over kill, as the NPC might rep and require multiple volleys to finish off. Thankfully with cruise and bastion you don't have to volley count for most mission ranges. And a Barghest almost never has to volley count.

See above about getting in close, and you will never have to count volleys again.

Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
Now a ham tengu fires every 2 seconds and has a ~7s flight time, meaning you can waste multiple volleys.

HAM Tengu can be fun in missions and I fly one a lot because of it. On the other hand the short cycle time of the launchers makes it a terrible choice for someone that is OCD about wasted time and wasted volleys, so what I see here is someone choosing the wrong tool for the job at hand and as such this is YOUR problem and not a problem with the ship or weapons.

Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
And that is why I use turret boats, my guns stop shooting as soon as it dies and I can shoot the next sucker.

Personal choice and given your passionate hatred for "wasting" a few minutes of time in a mission it does not surprise me.

Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
and ishkur in lv4s sounds like the most boring thing ever, orbit 100km, launch drones, go afk for 3 hours because that's how long it takes for them to kill everything, I used to afk grind sec status that way.

You may have gone AFK in missions for standings in the past but you did not do it in an Ishkur, your OCD attitude about saving seconds would not allow you to.
But then your time oriented OCD attitude is blinding you to why people may actually want ot run level 4 missions in a frigate class hull. You see one does not choose to run level 4 missions in a frigate class hull because it is efficient, one chooses to do it simply to prove that they can and once they have they usually keep doing it because it can actually make missions fun and challenging. Specifically to the Ishkur given the CPU needed to mount 2 drone link augmentors and the 2 sebos needed to even get to 100k targeting and drones control range the rest of your fit is rather limited. Oh and you will not have to worry abou wasting 2 to 3 hours when you try this because your ship and drones are not going to last that long. But hey if you want you can always use an Enyo instead then you cannot AFK and let the drones to the work, and yes I do that as well and I recommend that everyone try it at least once.

Your obsessive compulsive nature towards minimum time needed is what makes missions as boring and tedious as they are. Granted there will always be a boring element to mission because you run the same ones over and over but flying the same mission, using the same optimized ship/fits, using the same time optimized tactics only magnifies the problem. Let loose of the OCD, venture into missions with a new attitude of what can I do today to make this less boring and see what happens.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#26 - 2017-01-14 04:56:30 UTC
The whole point of doing all the things I do is that I'm lazy. If there is an easy and cost effective way to do something better I'm going to use it. IMO the whole point of this forum section is to help people complete missions faster as people use the isk from missions to pay for other things. I've for the most part just taken fits and advice from other people and used them to run missions and pass them on to other players.

Taking on higher level npcs with smaller ships isn't a bad activity for new players, it makes sure they can keep up transversal and prioritize the right targets. I've played the game long enough that standard lv4 mission npcs just aren't a challenge, I shot battleship rats in a frig as a newb, and have never wanted to try it again. Also these days we have burner missions. I'd say it would be much more effective to practice something like feathering in a team burner mission than vs the standard lv4 missions.

This thread is about preference and I'm stating my preference for not using missiles. Sure with missiles getting close helps with reducing wasted volleys, it also reduces the defender chances as defenders need a certain amount of time to catch up to the missile volley. That said cruise missiles have very long range so if the target is at 100km most of the time it is much faster to just shoot it rather than try and get close. And my preference for missiles is the barghest which shoots missiles so fast volley counting isn't a thing and most defenders can't hit them.

And no I haven't flown like that (afk drones) in a long time, mostly because sec status hasn't been a problem for me, also they increased how often you could get sec status increases so it makes sense to kill the rats much faster. Also I have enough isk that afk mission isk just isn't worth it, If I want to semi pay attention I'd rather trade. Back when I did afk with light drones drone damage amps weren't a thing, and you only got a sec increase every ~15mins. The mission recon 1/3 has a bunch of high bounty BS that give good sec increases so I'd throw out my light drones and go afk. MJD sentry rattlesnake with auto-targeting missiles works pretty well for afking missions these days.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Kazual Jayde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2017-01-14 18:29:34 UTC
Blaster Hyperion for lvl 4s.

Rail Brutix for lvl 3s.

Rail Vexor for certain DED sites.

Enyo for courier- and scout-type missions, and for hi-sec anomalies.

Far from optimal, I'm certain, but I'm having fun and learning the missions while I train into other things.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#28 - 2017-01-14 19:17:13 UTC
Kronos. It rocks being the Space Police, blapping frigates frigates @70km with neutron cannons never gets old and because I'm inherently lazy. But it does come in black.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Khanid Voltar
#29 - 2017-01-19 01:22:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanid Voltar
Anize's guide for the Burners with the exception of the Talos Base (for which I use a cap-stable Deimos instead of a Vagabond)

Blitzable Angel Missions - a Loki

Blitzable Serpentis Missions - the aforementioned Deimos

Gallente Faction Security Missions (e.g. 'Inspired') the Deimos again

For recon 1/2/3 and Cargo Delivery - an Ares

For L1 FW missions - a Tristan

For L4 FW missions - a stealth bomber

For when I want a beer and chillax / collect insignias - a Dominix

[EDIT] I try to avoid using Battleships to run L4's for the most part these days, they seem too OP for the most part, unless you have low skills. Don't get me wrong, Pirate BS were fun 5 years ago, and Marauders are fun in certain situations, C4+ in WH's for instance. But IMO there are better tools for the job in K-space, particularly in low sec and null.
Takh Meir'noen
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#30 - 2017-01-19 22:56:54 UTC
I primarily use a Paladin with Tachyons + 3 tractors. I don't even use navy crystals. I warp in, drop an MTU, and blast everything while 5 salvage drones pick the wrecks apart. Scoop the loot and move to next pocket.

I started tinkering around with an Armageddon for fun recently (as my friend is still training for a Paladin and enjoys drones) and that led to me trying out a Nestor. Now when I get Angel/Guristas missions, I usually take the Nestor out instead of the Paladin.

I also don't blitz or have an alternate mission puller, etc. I put my daughter to bed, run a mission or two, and log off for the night. Most weeknights I run a L4 mission or two, and on the weekends I see how much of that ISK I can lose in PVP.
pinkajoo
#31 - 2017-01-20 09:38:22 UTC
Old, old sentry drone Dominix, or my new cruise+sentry Rattlesnake. Both with MJD and mobile depot for quick refits to a MWD, alternate sentry, or more tank/dps/range.

With the new server 'rubberbanding'/lags, its a very forgiving combo.
Gregorius Goldstein
Queens of the Drone Age
#32 - 2017-01-20 09:46:39 UTC
Kazual Jayde wrote:
Blaster Hyperion for lvl 4s.



Fit please. This ship looks just to awesome!
Kazual Jayde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2017-01-20 18:07:22 UTC
Gregorius Goldstein wrote:
Kazual Jayde wrote:
Blaster Hyperion for lvl 4s.



Fit please. This ship looks just to awesome!



I posted it here, post #3, and I'd love some feedback.

Definitely a good looking ship!
Gregorius Goldstein
Queens of the Drone Age
#34 - 2017-01-21 17:09:26 UTC
Thanks, I'll give feetback in the other thread.

Kazual Jayde wrote:
Gregorius Goldstein wrote:
Kazual Jayde wrote:
Blaster Hyperion for lvl 4s.



Fit please. This ship looks just to awesome!



I posted it here, post #3, and I'd love some feedback.

Definitely a good looking ship!

LouHodo
Kill'em all. Let Bob sort'em out.
Ushra'Khan
#35 - 2017-01-26 20:10:16 UTC
Rroff wrote:
^^ I'm a sucker for the outside the box options - I'd rather do something interesting than necessarily efficient :D


Something different...

I use a Probe, with a light missile launcher, and a variety of drones.

It aint fast at killing anything but it works.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#36 - 2017-01-27 20:58:47 UTC
Polarized Machariel. Something about the 2000+ DPS and 2.21s rate of fire appeals to me...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Previous page12