These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Skill window UI. Questions.

Author
Faith Winters
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2017-01-16 10:54:46 UTC
1. Is there some logical order in skill categories? It's not alphabetical. Spaceship command, Navigation etc. Seems totally random. Is it? Or am I missing some logic here?

2. Is there a way to remove popup tooltips? It's really annoying.

3. Where can I see how many skillpoints I need to train specific skill? I can only see time, like hours, days.
Reinhardt Kreiss
TetraVaal Tactical Group
#2 - 2017-01-16 11:21:41 UTC
Faith Winters wrote:
1. Is there some logical order in skill categories? It's not alphabetical. Spaceship command, Navigation etc. Seems totally random. Is it? Or am I missing some logic here?

2. Is there a way to remove popup tooltips? It's really annoying.

3. Where can I see how many skillpoints I need to train specific skill? I can only see time, like hours, days.

1) it's the order some DEV chose who doesn't play the game (much), anyone who does would have picked a better and more logical order

2) you can increase the popup time in the settings (hit escape) but that also affects other poups, some how which you might WANT to see quickly

3) mouse over it and it will tell you. To quickly get an idea, you need some 300k SP to get a multiplier 1x skill from 0 to 5 so take 300K x multiplier. Meaning a x5 skill would take some 1.5 mil SP to get to 5.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2017-01-16 12:09:23 UTC
i heard someone mention its based on importance of the skill category

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Memphis Baas
#4 - 2017-01-16 12:21:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
They tried to emulate our skill categories (that you see on EVE University etc.):

- ship skills (Spaceship Command)
- core/support skills (Engineering, Navigation, Armor, Shields, Targeting, etc.)
- weapon skills (guns, missiles, drones)
- misc. skills (industry, etc.)

You can see it if you click the ^ arrow to minimize the categories section to just a row of icons.

As far as the raw skillpoints, they initially didn't have this information, but at our request they added it in the pop-up window that shows skill details for each skill. BUT, not in the queue, you have to hold your mouse over the skill in the Available Skills section, not in the Queue section.

And they just show you the total skill points required to max out the skill, not per level. Per level, you have to remember the old values:

L1: 250
L2: 1,414
L3: 8,000
L4: 45,255
L5: 256,000

and multiply those by the RANK of the skill. So a Rank 6 skill will require 6x the points to train each square (each level of skill).

And, you probably know this, but for newbies who don't know, the points come into play because when you train skills you're accumulating points into the skill at a rate that's determined by the attributes listed in the skill description, with the formula:

points/minute = primary.attribute + 1/2 secondary.attribute

As far as pop-ups, the only thing you can do is hit ESC to open the options panel and increase the delay on the pop-ups to max, which I believe is 10 seconds. Makes it a bit more bearable.
Faith Winters
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2017-01-17 15:38:52 UTC
Thanks, everyone.