These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Alpha clone

Author
Bruminon
Origin Divine
#1 - 2017-01-13 01:56:29 UTC
I would have invited friends to play if alpha clone wasn't so weak. Seems like frigate with t2 guns would have been a minimum....

If I come back and pay $15/mo, because I have a friend who plays for free forever, CCP still makes $15 they wouldn't have otherwise made.

Ya'll think alpha could have had a bit more access? Or was it spot on?
Kosomot
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2017-01-13 02:14:45 UTC
So I have a max skilled alpha and a 2007 Main.

I must say, I'm happy with Alpha limitations.

my gallante alpha flies a VNI that is used for PVP, and runs level 4 distribution missions for LP, cause it's the best way to drum up LP for me.

FW might be better but meh.

I feel that people will always want more from alpha because they always want more for free...

it gets you enough of the game and ships that if you really like eve you will have no problem paying.

I am a miner, mission runner, and explorer...

or as EVE Online would have it...

A Carebear!!

Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#3 - 2017-01-13 02:49:01 UTC
The alpha limitations are fine as far as my play is concerned.

I use an alpha as a wormhole sitter so I can always get back in if needed; and the available skills for that use are just fine.

The omega in me says, no to T2 turrets; but I can understand someone else wanting them.
Maekchu
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2017-01-13 02:53:20 UTC
Narh, they are fine. You can accomplish quite a lot with the Alpha and there needs to be an incentive to pay for a sub.

But sure, people are greedy fucks and always wants more. "Free stuff you say? GIVE ME MORE!"
Marcus Rintel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2017-01-13 02:54:09 UTC
I have no issues with Alpha Limitations. Even like the Lock Out of Trained Omega Skills during an Alpha state, because it's making me focus on more Core Skills with my Old toons.
Bertok Francis
Spartan Vanguard
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#6 - 2017-01-13 03:19:22 UTC
Personally I don't have any problem with the limits; the only places where I even see a reason to want to upgrade are tech 2 weapons, cloaking and less limited weapon types (for example an amarr alpha having a triple neut + rocket Dragoon be feasible). At this point in the game (1.2 mil sp) I could not fly tech 2 ships effectively and really prefer the idea of tech 1 so far because tech 2 ships are really expensive (when I looked it up after someone suicided a hawk to kill my FW alt's tristan the hull alone was 30 million isk) I prefer to spend 2-3 million on a frigate fit then thirty million on a hull as I could fit a very nice cruiser for that.

(Note; the hawk died not because I was able to kill him but because he tackled me on a gate and he and two buddies did kill me in my 1.8mil isk frig)
Celise Katelo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2017-01-13 03:51:20 UTC
As if people are still wanting "more" from something that is "free"

For less then £10 a month you get unlimited amount of time in EVE to do as you wish, well within the game rules.

I can spend £10 on Coffee & a takeaway & never even have to think about it. If you can't or choose to not pay for something why should you get something free & still want more Ugh .

EVEBoard ...Just over 60million skill points, each skill was chosen for a reason. I closed my eyes & clicked another skill to train... "BINGO...!!!" ... "This time i got something usefull"

Aiwha
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#8 - 2017-01-13 03:55:38 UTC
The point of alpha clones is to entice people to pay for omega. That is all.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Yebo Lakatosh
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2017-01-13 04:25:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Yebo Lakatosh
As a new player and veteran F2P bum... Eve's business model always seemed to be a bit behind of times from the outside. Now that Alphas arrived... well, compared to a large portion of 'freemium" games these days, the system is really restrictive, could say discouraging. Reminded me some of the worst moneygrabbing setups out there.

But one has to be an EvE vet, or pretty familiar with it's mechanics to know that it's unfair to compare it to other games. While my Alpha is my only tool in New Eden, it's also a tool that is also available to -every- seasoned player in unlimited quantities. And that is undoubtably a serious balance consideration. I feel the devs would have allowed me more options... if they could without breaking (more) things.

But it's fine. Limitations create challenge, challenge creates fun. The feature I consider the best in EvE is totally free - you guys who shoot me down if I let my guard down. Worth more for me than any Battleship. Keep up the good work!

Elite F1 pilot since YC119, incarnate of honor, integrity and tidi.

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#10 - 2017-01-13 04:31:23 UTC
I think the alpha limitations are pretty much right. I think caldari/minmatar alphas could use a little more in the way of drone skills. Not sure what could change with amarr/gallente alphas. I think t2 guns is just a step too far.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Yebo Lakatosh
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2017-01-13 04:31:28 UTC
doublepost

Elite F1 pilot since YC119, incarnate of honor, integrity and tidi.

Bertok Francis
Spartan Vanguard
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#12 - 2017-01-13 05:15:21 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
I think the alpha limitations are pretty much right. I think caldari/minmatar alphas could use a little more in the way of drone skills. Not sure what could change with amarr/gallente alphas. I think t2 guns is just a step too far.

I think it would be nice if they actually had missile skills; a gallente alpha can not use a tech 1 light missile launcher, this matters little for them but some of the amarr ships have missils hardpoints (looking at you arbitrator and dragoon) and they could allow some interesting fits.
Kousaka Otsu Shigure
#13 - 2017-01-13 05:49:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Kousaka Otsu Shigure
For some random gamer playing for free, yes, the restrictions are well thought of and is only fair (cause its free). CCP still has to pay its employees (so they can feed their families), server fees (so we can b*tch about how a 10sec session timer is literally unplayable), and such..

So yeah, the $15 bux is fair.

edit: if you wanna try the other empires ships, just create a new account/character.. its free.

Archiver, Software Developer and Data Slave

Current Project Status: What can I make with these minerals?

Ceilidh
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2017-01-13 08:41:09 UTC
Bertok Francis wrote:
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
I think the alpha limitations are pretty much right. I think caldari/minmatar alphas could use a little more in the way of drone skills. Not sure what could change with amarr/gallente alphas. I think t2 guns is just a step too far.

I think it would be nice if they actually had missile skills; a gallente alpha can not use a tech 1 light missile launcher, this matters little for them but some of the amarr ships have missils hardpoints (looking at you arbitrator and dragoon) and they could allow some interesting fits.


Yea, this is my one little wish list item on what Alpha clones can do. My little Khanid alt finds the lack of missile skills mildly frustrating as she scoots around in a Dragoon. I understand wanting to give each faction their own 'gimmick' but at least let me fire the things. Like my Caldari alts drone skills are butt, but at least she can actually use them! Poor missile skills would still be better then no skills as it stands currently.


Maybe down the line they can release like skill upgrade packages or something. For X amount of AUR/Money you can unlock additional sets of skills for an account permanently. A middle ground between full subscription and totally free.

/shrug
The Devils Cousin
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2017-01-13 10:11:32 UTC
GIEF ME MOAR STUFF CAUSE I WANT MOAR

CCP Please Don't Do This..

The Respawn Expansion

Glabeal Semah
Pro Synergy
#16 - 2017-01-13 10:35:14 UTC
Why is there no option to BUY a ship? Like in RSI?
For example, an Astero could cost 100 eur. You get the right to fly it (as an alpha), one BP (?), and the right to buy and train the skills.
If you like to further limit things (making more money) you put a limit of 20 (?) Asteros. After you've lost it 20 times, you pay again 100 eur.
It just an example! And let's remember 100eur is about 7 months of subbing. Any thoughts on this?
Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
Snuffed Out
#17 - 2017-01-13 10:44:37 UTC
Glabeal Semah wrote:
Why is there no option to BUY a ship? Like in RSI?
For example, an Astero could cost 100 eur. You get the right to fly it (as an alpha), one BP (?), and the right to buy and train the skills.
If you like to further limit things (making more money) you put a limit of 20 (?) Asteros. After you've lost it 20 times, you pay again 100 eur.
It just an example! And let's remember 100eur is about 7 months of subbing. Any thoughts on this?


we dont need microtransactions like that, it is total cancer

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Akis Talanas
Doomheim
#18 - 2017-01-13 10:50:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Akis Talanas
This is the typical ftp complaining in EVERY game that is or becomes ftp ....

"We want MORE...we want to do the same as a paid account,because we don't pay,we want it just because we honor the server with our delightful presense"......

or....

Give us microtransacrions so we can pay MORE a subscriber would pay for the same stuff.....we are so smart......we praise ourselves for not wanting a monthly subscription because that would BIND us to the game so we pay 1/3 MORE...SO smart are we......you just don't understand our genius.......

Ridiculous.......
Glabeal Semah
Pro Synergy
#19 - 2017-01-13 11:00:18 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:
Glabeal Semah wrote:
Why is there no option to BUY a ship? Like in RSI?
For example, an Astero could cost 100 eur. You get the right to fly it (as an alpha), one BP (?), and the right to buy and train the skills.
If you like to further limit things (making more money) you put a limit of 20 (?) Asteros. After you've lost it 20 times, you pay again 100 eur.
It just an example! And let's remember 100eur is about 7 months of subbing. Any thoughts on this?


we dont need microtransactions like that, it is total cancer


Wouldn't be so sure.

You'd still have NPC killing bought ships; NPCs can get 'smarter'; there would still be corps like CODE making 'rules' in high-sec, and so on. Really, I think someone is 100% afraid of this. It's FEAR (and greed), not reason.
Why wouldn't this be a win-win? Eve gets the cash (and they make sure ships are blown, as they do TODAY) and the player flies the ships he, she likes.
Akane Togenada
Doomheim
#20 - 2017-01-13 11:05:07 UTC
Akis Talanas wrote:
This is the typical ftp complaining in EVERY game that is or becomes ftp ....

"We want MORE...we want to do the same as a paid account,because we don't pay,we want it just because we honor the server with our delightful presense"......

or....

Give us microtransacrions so we can pay MORE a subscriber would pay for the same stuff.....we are so smart......we praise ourselves for not wanting a monthly subscription because that would BIND us to the game so we pay 1/3 MORE...SO smart are we......you just don't understand our genius.......

Ridiculous.......


Can´t Like this post enough. As a player who have always chosen MMO:s with subscription rather then microtransactions I can´t wrap my head around all the hate subscriptions recieve. Just because a payment system is older doesn´t mean it's worse and in this case it's actually alot better. Microtransactions are cancer to the gaming industry and will destroy it for all players eventually if given the chance.
123Next page