These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Assault Frigates need a new role determinating role bonus!!!

Author
Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#101 - 2017-01-10 01:08:52 UTC
Leave the AF alone. it's fine as it is.

Fear no one, live life, be free, accept the truth, do not judge others, defend yourself, fight hard till the end, meditate on problems and be prosperous. Things to exist by. -- RAIN Arthie

Nikea Tiber
Backwater Enterprises RD
#102 - 2017-01-10 02:56:45 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Attack BC treatment. ie Let assault Frigs mount Cruiser sized guns.

You're welcome. Big smile

Did you even read this thread? Cruiser guns on a frigate hull makes for a useless frigate.

Aaron wrote:
Leave the AF alone. It's fine as it is

I've been kicking around new eden for about eleven years now. Assault frigates have always sucked, the lack of mobility vs the t1 combat hulls, fitting issues due to weak cpu and grid, and fitting issues due to lack of mids as an entire ship class. Assault frigates suck, and the proliferation of destroyer hulls just makes it worse. AFs need a fitting boost and a role bonus other than mwd sig reduction.

my other nano is a polycarb

Ciba Lexlulu
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#103 - 2017-01-10 11:35:08 UTC
CCP should give AF natural +2 warp strength like Venture. I bet we will see increase usage of the class.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#104 - 2017-01-10 13:42:41 UTC
Nikea Tiber wrote:
Assault frigates have always sucked

Not true.

Before T3D landed they were one of the more common ships used. As I keep on saying the issue is not with AF its with T3D.
Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#105 - 2017-01-10 15:49:38 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

Not true.

Before T3D landed they were one of the more common ships used. As I keep on saying the issue is not with AF its with T3D.

Even before T3D, their "niche" window was tiny, and there really is no effective way (at this point) to penalize the T3Ds to undo reality.

He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#106 - 2017-01-10 20:17:49 UTC
Orakkus wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Not true.

Even before T3D, their "niche" window was tiny, and there really is no effective way (at this point) to penalize the T3Ds to undo reality.

There is a very good way to hit T3D into shape.

Nerf them down to t1 base stats and have their modes bump them up to t2 level and scrap the e-war resistance. They are now what they are supposed to be, adaptable destroyers.
Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#107 - 2017-01-10 20:45:03 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

Nerf them down to t1 base stats and have their modes bump them up to t2 level and scrap the e-war resistance. They are now what they are supposed to be, adaptable destroyers.

I still don't think that would separate the two well enough. By making those changes, CCP will be forced to make the ship cheaper to build (or else it is the T3D that becomes "niche-less") If you make it cheaper, then it automatically forces itself into AF territory because of price/capability. You also have to consider that even if there is a tangible difference, the niche the AF resides in would still get reduced in usefulness.

No, I think the AF needs some serious out of the box thinking in regards to its role in combat fleets.

Roger Douglas
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#108 - 2017-01-10 21:28:10 UTC
Shift the AF to be the Frigate version of the Combat Recon.

Allow Covop cloak, some speed bonuses, Non-detection on directional scan has been mentioned here.

I'm not sure I'd want the covert cyno, but it's possible.

No web/scram bonuses on the AF. Leave that for the Cruiser Combat Recon.
Amanda Creire-Geng
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#109 - 2017-01-11 07:42:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Amanda Creire-Geng
How about this:

• Get rid of the 50% MWD sig radius reduction
  • Add a new role bonus: 400% bonus to Afterburner velocity modifier

Assault frigs will now be able to:

• Hit MWD-tier speeds, without any sig penalties, but still considerably slower than ceptors due to their lower base velocity.
  • Laugh in the face of warp scrambers!
  • When fitted with scram+web, can dictate range on any non-AF ship that comes within scram reach. (MWD ships will get shut down by scram, and AB ships won't be able to keep up with the steroids-AB)

The result is a heavy brawler frigate that's no longer afraid to get close and personal, true to its name of assault frigate. Each race has 2 AFs, so specialize one for point-blank fights, and the other one for fighting at the edge of web range (give it a minor warp scrambler range bonus so it matches the web range).
Deckel
Island Paradise
#110 - 2017-01-11 08:25:57 UTC
Amanda Creire-Geng wrote:
How about this:

• Get rid of the 50% MWD sig radius reduction
  • Add a new role bonus: 400% bonus to Afterburner velocity modifier

Assault frigs will now be able to:

• Hit MWD-tier speeds, without any sig penalties, but still considerably slower than ceptors due to their lower base velocity.
  • Laugh in the face of warp scrambers!
  • When fitted with scram+web, can dictate range on any non-AF ship that comes within scram reach. (MWD ships will get shut down by scram, and AB ships won't be able to keep up with the steroids-AB)

The result is a heavy brawler frigate that's no longer afraid to get close and personal, true to its name of assault frigate. Each race has 2 AFs, so specialize one for point-blank fights, and the other one for fighting at the edge of web range (give it a minor warp scrambler range bonus so it matches the web range).

I'm afraid you went way too far (it is seriously at the joke level) It is debatable that even 2X AB speeds would be overpowered. Those speeds with no signature bloom basically means zero missile damage. You would need triple webs + paints to apply just about any damage to them.

But yes shifting to an Afterburner bonus has been thoroughly discussed and is high on the list of good ideas. Some say that they used to have this and it was overpowered then, so it won't work, but it is likely that this was due to the Old Meta and since things have since changed it could be viable again.
Amanda Creire-Geng
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#111 - 2017-01-11 08:58:11 UTC
Deckel wrote:
I'm afraid you went way too far (it is seriously at the joke level) It is debatable that even 2X AB speeds would be overpowered. Those speeds with no signature bloom basically means zero missile damage. You would need triple webs + paints to apply just about any damage to them.

But yes shifting to an Afterburner bonus has been thoroughly discussed and is high on the list of good ideas. Some say that they used to have this and it was overpowered then, so it won't work, but it is likely that this was due to the Old Meta and since things have since changed it could be viable again.

I guess my math is wrong, because it looked like an AF would do about 2km/s with good skills, and double-web would bring it down to 320 m/s. T1 Light missiles with Target Nav IV have 238 m/s explosion velocity, so they'd apply two thirds of their damage, or about full damage if using T2 precision. Target painters not needed at all as their explosion velocity is already smaller than AFs' sig radius, if you put a couple levels into the precision skill. I guess it could be a problem if the AF stacks a lot of prop mods?
Deckel
Island Paradise
#112 - 2017-01-11 09:26:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Deckel
Amanda Creire-Geng wrote:

I guess my math is wrong, because it looked like an AF would do about 2km/s with good skills, and double-web would bring it down to 320 m/s. T1 Light missiles with Target Nav IV have 238 m/s explosion velocity, so they'd apply two thirds of their damage, or about full damage if using T2 precision. Target painters not needed at all as their explosion velocity is already smaller than AFs' sig radius, if you put a couple levels into the precision skill. I guess it could be a problem if the AF stacks a lot of prop mods?

Well, the Succubus already can get 100% bonus to Afterburner velocity, which can give it a AB speed around 1900m/s. The problem with giving this to Assault frigates too is that they have the T2 resist profile as well, and they are cheaper than a Succubus, so you have basically just invalidated the usefulness of this ship, along with quite a few others likely. You could still bring it up to a 25% or 50% AB bonus, but who knows where that perfect spot to balance it is.
Toobo
Project Fruit House
#113 - 2017-01-11 09:43:38 UTC
Some may not remember or wasn't around, but there was a period in EVE history where AFs were really popular. I'm not familiar with fleet doctrines so can't comment on that, but back then it was quite common to do a solo roam in an AF and find another solo roaming AF and have a cracking good fight (even outside of FW zones). Low sec pirates often had pimp setups with a-type reppera, etc.

People would remember those dual ASB Harpy, slaved (or perma repping) Vengence, scram kiting Hawk, Ishkur that could fighy so many things etc. AFs were perfectly viable and fun/popular ships to play even with the same stats as now.

Cheers Love! The cavalry's here!

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#114 - 2017-01-11 16:38:57 UTC
Orakkus wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

I still don't think that would separate the two well enough. By making those changes, CCP will be forced to make the ship cheaper to build (or else it is the T3D that becomes "niche-less") If you make it cheaper, then it automatically forces itself into AF territory because of price/capability. You also have to consider that even if there is a tangible difference, the niche the AF resides in would still get reduced in usefulness.

No, I think the AF needs some serious out of the box thinking in regards to its role in combat fleets.

AF are more than able to take on t2 destroyers, we are out here killing them in kestrels and herons. AF are still good ships, a destroyer is not going to tank like a destroyer can (well, they are not supposed to)
Kiddoomer
The Red Sequence
#115 - 2017-01-11 16:53:17 UTC
Hum, the only thing that would make them unique would be a bonus for something non other ships has something for to me.

The idea of a bonus to smartbomb mentionned earlier in this thread picked me, maybe not a bonus to fit one large smartbomb, but a bonus to a small or maybe medium for damage, with a correct but not excessive bonus to cycle, but not range, the AF being frigate-sized is enough of a mobility advantage already.

This could make the assault frigate a very capable ships against other frigates, plus and foremost, it would make the ship a little terror against any kind of drones.

That way, AF would be a second layer of defense for a battleship fleet, the first being destroyers with defenders missiles for bombs, and then this new against drones that would go under any kind of weapons on the battleships without them needing to put any smartbomb on themselves.

In the name of Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen : “Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.”

Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#116 - 2017-01-11 20:26:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Aaron
Nikea Tiber wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Attack BC treatment. ie Let assault Frigs mount Cruiser sized guns.

You're welcome. Big smile

Did you even read this thread? Cruiser guns on a frigate hull makes for a useless frigate.

Aaron wrote:
Leave the AF alone. It's fine as it is

I've been kicking around new eden for about eleven years now. Assault frigates have always sucked, the lack of mobility vs the t1 combat hulls, fitting issues due to weak cpu and grid, and fitting issues due to lack of mids as an entire ship class. Assault frigates suck, and the proliferation of destroyer hulls just makes it worse. AFs need a fitting boost and a role bonus other than mwd sig reduction.

I've used an AF to destroy a sniper fit tornado, I was able to absorb a few hits while mwd'ing toward him then when I was within 5km I orbited and didnt take single hit while i chewed through his armour and hull. At the time i was fit with an ancilliary armour repair and a standard armour repair.

The key to using an AF is understanding what situations it would be useful in. It's a nice little fleet ship if you know when to use it.

I've also used AF's for gatecrashing, I used to fly around Stain anywhere I wanted when I came across a gate camp the AF had no problem MWD'ing and jumping back through to the gate I just came from and repeating it till I could warp away and cloak. I've also had many 1 vs 1 in AF's and it was always a good fight win or lose.

Fear no one, live life, be free, accept the truth, do not judge others, defend yourself, fight hard till the end, meditate on problems and be prosperous. Things to exist by. -- RAIN Arthie

Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#117 - 2017-01-11 20:36:15 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Nikea Tiber wrote:
Assault frigates have always sucked

Not true.

I wouldn't say the issue is with the T3D or AF, the issue is with the people who don't seem to know what situations to use AF's in.

Kiddoomer
The Red Sequence
#118 - 2017-01-12 13:36:33 UTC
Or if nothing noticeable would be needed actually, could it be to much ask to make AF able to use small repairer/boost effectively in pvp ? Because I never figured a way to not get killed quickly in my hawk against faction or pirate frigate if I dont have 2 MASB running with faction cap booster.

In the name of Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen : “Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.”

Orakkus
ImperiaI Federation
Goonswarm Federation
#119 - 2017-01-12 16:09:34 UTC
Aaron wrote:

I've used an AF to destroy a sniper fit tornado...

I don't think that is a good comparision simply because, in that scenario, a lot of ships including interceptors, T1 Frigs, Destroyers, as well as some cruisers would have been able to use that tactic and get the same result. That situation was just an opportunity that was within the AFs (and many other ship classes) ability to take advantage of. It really doesn't show anything distinctive or unique to the AF.

Right now they don't have a role that something else doesn't do better.

Glathull
Warlock Assassins
#120 - 2017-01-13 04:17:00 UTC
If you look at the history of T3 Cruisers, it's clear that T3 Destroyers are going to stay around and stay OP for a very long time. I agree that Assault Frigs aren't really the problem. There was a while when they were very competitive after they were first rebalanced.

But this is the reality we live in: T3D are here to stay. They are not going to get nerfed down to T1D base stats and simply become versatile destroyers.

So we need to do something.

The ideas I like best so far are some kind of unique invulnerability. I like neut invulnerability the best. It makes the most sense with the concept of an assault role. It helps it get into brawls above its class and stay in it.

I'd also (for the same reasons) like to see smaller sig radius or buffed resists.

I'm intrigued--in spite of the protests from earlier--by the idea of the ABC treatment. Give them a tracking bonus, but keep them slow to mitigate the tracking issues. That + a sig radius improvement or resist buffs should put them in a pretty good position to serve in a medium support role. You know, an assault role. No they won't be 1v1 solo pwnmobiles against other frigates. We've got tons of those already. I'm pretty sick of the speed meta. Not everything has to be that. Give them a slow-ish supporting role in the cruiser meta.

I honestly feel like I just read fifty shades of dumb. --CCP Falcon