These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Fighting in Eve as a Newbie

Author
Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2017-01-06 22:18:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Black-Hawk Ellecon
No I cannot see an autopilot despite setting a 1.0 sec home station destination? I have to press a (top left corner a not hud one) and then click on activate autopilot?
Memphis Baas
#22 - 2017-01-06 22:19:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
When you set a destination you set a destination. The autopilot must be turned on manually with the (A) button, and it will just follow the destination that you've set, like a GPS.

I mean, first you set where you want to go, like on a GPS map / navigation tool, then you turn on the autopilot and it will just go there.
Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2017-01-06 22:22:03 UTC
I am baffled because I have not had this problem at all before. Normally I set a destination and then when I undock I see an a button and press it and bingo off I go! However despite setting the destination in a 1.0 sec system I do not get the a button? I have done this countless times and must just be doing something wrong?
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#24 - 2017-01-06 22:22:51 UTC
You've had a lot of great advice on fits here already. I'd like to go a little deeper into the tactic side of things and explain some theory of how to make use of the various mod and fits mentioned.

First I want to post a link:
http://www.hostile.dk/files/eve/eve-tracking101.swf

That is a flash based tracking tutorial. It is a comprehensive walk through all of the basics of how gunnery and tracking work in Eve. It is a good starting point to work from.

So a very general guideline that is far from always being true but more of just a starting point is that most turrets work ok somewhere around their optimal range. The further you are away from your target the better you will track but the further you go into your falloff the more potential damage that you loose from range. Sometimes you need to compromise and autocannons for example will typically be best used about 1/3 of the way into falloff.

Due to the various factors involved in tracking there are several things that you can do to hit better:
-Improve your tracking speed through:
------Skills
------Modules
------Implants
-------rigs
------drugs
-Increase your opponent's signature radius by using a target painter
-decrease the transversal or radial velocity differential between you and your opponent. This can be done with piloting tactics and / or modules like webifiers to slow your opponent down or propulsion modules to speed yourself up. One of the ways that you can slow down the angular velocity of your opponent is simply by increasing range.

So NPCs are really stupid. I think most of them are programmed to orbit at their optimal. So if the NPCs have short ranged weapons all you need to do is use long range weapons and fly directly away from them. They will chase after you in a strait line and be easy to hit. This is called kitting.

If the NPCs have long range weapons and are trying to orbit at longer ranges you can fly strait at them and they will fly strait away from you trying to achieve an optimal orbit. You typically want shorter range weapons to make this work.

We could go deeper into this but I think this is enough for now. The key factors to be aware of for now is what your optimal range is and what range you are currently at and how much rotational movement exists between your and your current target. You can change ammo to change range to fit the various situations.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2017-01-06 22:28:02 UTC
Black-Hawk Ellecon wrote:

I appreciate all the help and can see that once again I have a lot to learn about playing this game successfully!!

I have been playing this game since '09 and still have a lot to learn. Success is 100% subjective. To me if you are having fun I call that success. So you can be successful from day one.

Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2017-01-06 22:34:03 UTC
yes I am really enjoying my EVE experience so far and I am still an Alpha at the moment and expect to multiply my enjoyment when I upgrade to Omega!!!! Problems just need solutions and the help from people is brilliant and I am very grateful.
Ajem Hinken
WarFear Gaming
#27 - 2017-01-06 22:34:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Ajem Hinken
Stick as many railguns on as possible, add a stasis Web, an afterburner (not civi), and make sure your railguns are 150mm Carbides. Those are the best thing I've seen that you can fit on a frigate and not kill yourself.

To use:

Lock target on anything you can ASAP. Then select the closest, web it, and turn your afterburners on. Fly away to the range you can shoot them from (typically 10-20km) and don't pay attention to your Webber. It will cut off. However, it will have served its purpose: to let you put some distance on those stupid speedy NPC's. After you can hit them, fill them with rounds. Rinse and repeat. If you do that, (perhaps with upgraded setups for harder missions) you should be fine.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6875494#post6875494 - Ship mounted explosives. Because explosions and Jita chaos.

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2017-01-06 22:39:04 UTC
I am baffled because I have not had this problem at all before. Normally I set a destination and then when I undock I see an a button and press it and bingo off I go! However despite setting the destination in a 1.0 sec system I do not get the a button? I have done this countless times and must just be doing something wrong?

You probably accidentally hid the route. There is an "A" on the upper left side of your screen under the system and region information. That has your autopilot settings. To the left of if is a triangle that is hidden until you hover over it. Make sure that the triangle is pointing down and if that is not the case then make sure "show route" is checked in settings.

MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#29 - 2017-01-06 22:45:34 UTC

If you set a destination, on the overview (on the right if you didn't move it) the gate you need to go to should be a yellow icon. Highlight it and hit the D key. That should warp you to that gate and jump you through it.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2017-01-06 22:48:23 UTC
I can set a destination but then have to use the autopilot active tick box under the large "a" in the top corner route area. The autopilot button which normally appears by the hud when I undock is just not there. It has been there for a month and I have not been fidling with the buttons. Normally I set the route and then undock and press the a button by the hud at the bottom of the screen. This is very frustrating.
Memphis Baas
#31 - 2017-01-06 22:54:11 UTC
There are little << and >> buttons on the sides of the HUD that retract and extend the buttons to the left or the right of the HUD. Try to find the << and press it. It's towards the bottom left of the HUD circle.
Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2017-01-06 22:56:56 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
There are little << and >> buttons on the sides of the HUD that retract and extend the buttons to the left or the right of the HUD. Try to find the << and press it. It's towards the bottom left of the HUD circle.

BINGO!!!! That was the problem I couldnt see it for looking!! Thank you so much it was driving me crazy!
Memphis Baas
#33 - 2017-01-06 23:03:11 UTC
You can also hit ESC and go into the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, and learn or set a keypress combination for the autopilot. I usually use ctrl-shift-a. That way I can turn on or off the autopilot even without the button.

Of course, most of the time I don't use autopilot because it leaves me open to attack, in high sec, as the autopilot flies my ship towards each gate the slow way. I usually just follow the yellow brick road, as it were, manually clicking on each yellow gate and ->> to it.
Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2017-01-06 23:04:20 UTC
Right so I now have a properly equipped ship and can continue my story arc and see how I get on. I will digest the contents of this thread and see how I get on. Thanks to everyone who helped me it is most kind of you all and I am grateful. Now I am ready to carry on.

Here is my fit as per all your suggestions:

[Incursus, Black-Hawk Ellecon's Incursus]
Damage Control I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Small Armor Repairer I
Magnetic Field Stabilizer I

1MN Afterburner I
Stasis Webifier I
Cap Recharger I

Light Ion Blaster I
Light Ion Blaster I
Light Ion Blaster I

Hobgoblin I x1

Iridium Charge S x3000
Antimatter Charge S x3298

Trasch Taranogas
State War Academy
Caldari State
#35 - 2017-01-06 23:14:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Trasch Taranogas
Believe it or not. I managed most SoE Arc missions with Ibis.

Since I got mad for stupidly losing my Cormorant
I continued with Ibis.

Fitted with:

1 x 150 mm Railgun I. with Spike S.

1 x Afterburner.

1 x F-90 Compact Sensor Booster. With Targeting Range Script.

1 x Magnetic Field Stabilizer.

Kiting, patience and stupid NPCs.

If you always stay ready you don't have to get ready.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#36 - 2017-01-06 23:45:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
I am flying an Incursus with two 125mm railguns firing antimatter s charges.

Rails have poor tracking (they are a sniping weapon). Switch to blasters if you want to get in their face.

You want to be at around optimal + 1/4 falloff to optimal + 1/2 falloff.

If you want to orbit further for better tracking, switch to Uranium or Thorium. Note that the higher damage of antimatter is useless when you are not hitting!

A webifier also helps.
Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2017-01-07 15:30:40 UTC
Just wanted to report back after a couple of missions to say that I can now engage and destroy enemy ships both close up and at a distance. The information in this thread has done the trick and my enjoyment of EVE is back! It was really frustrating but not now.
Kazual Jayde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2017-01-07 15:39:28 UTC
Right on!

You are more than likely to discover many more such frustrations during your time here, but there is almost always a solution.

Learning lessons the hard (and often expensive!) way seems to be a common bond among EVE players, glad to hear that you got this issue solved.

Memphis Baas
#39 - 2017-01-07 16:29:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Just wanted to report back after a couple of missions to say that I can now engage and destroy enemy ships both close up and at a distance. The information in this thread has done the trick and my enjoyment of EVE is back! It was really frustrating but not now.

So now that you got the basics, it's time to min/max!!!!

Each gun and module that you've fitted on your ship has variations. What you've fitted are the base "Tech1" modules, but there are pirate loot modules that have better stats but don't require extra skills that you can use to squeeze even more performance out of your ship. And often, they're as cheap as the base T1 modules (because they are common drops).

So what you want to do is right-click your modules and "show info", then switch to the "Variations" tab. That tab lists them in order of increased performance. And you can right-click each listing and "view market details" to see whether it's cheap or not. Only check the modules that between Tech I and Tech II quality, as you don't have the skills to unlock and use Tech II or the green "Officer" modules listed towards the bottom of the list.

Things that we usually try to upgrade:

- armor repairer: check if you can find a "vestment" or "carapace" version that are cheap.
- afterburner: "compact" is easier to fit, "enduring" uses less capacitor
- the guns: names and prices vary, but try to get whatever you can afford, more DPS than the base gun is always better. As per the rule with guns, get 3x of the exact same model, never mix gun models.

If you switch to Omega, more options are available for piling on extra bonuses to your ship stats.

- you can train for using rigs with your ships
- you can unlock various Tech II modules (better performance than T1 and the meta drops above)
- you can overheat your modules in emergency situations (Thermodynamics and Nanite-related skills)
- you can train for using Tech 2 weapons and Tech 2 ammo (much better performance than T1).
Previous page12