These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Fighting in Eve as a Newbie

Author
Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2017-01-06 20:24:14 UTC
I have done a couple of the Sisters of Eve story arc missions and I keep being unable to successfully fight any ships. I can target them ok but when I try to fire on them I continually miss and only get a very few shots compared to their constant hits. What is going on here as it is very frustrating having to warp out rather than carry on fighting as I risk losing my ship and mods. This has happened at least twice and I don't seem to hit them at all really. I use loads of ammo but don't hit them more than a couple of times at best.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#2 - 2017-01-06 20:31:49 UTC
Okay... to help you we need two bits of information:

What is the ship you are flying and how is it fit?

What are you doing (as in, what tactics are you using)?
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3 - 2017-01-06 20:34:28 UTC
Can you post your fit ?
There's a button on the bottom of the fitting screen that'll copy it to your clipboard and you can past it here.
It may shed some light on the topic
Kamala Sakar
Doomheim
#4 - 2017-01-06 20:41:19 UTC
I'd say we need more information to see what your particular issues with the SoE Arc missions are. To my understanding the vast majority of the missions act just like normal L1 security missions and should be possible to complete in even a Rookie Corvette if it's fully fitted.

If you can provide information such as what ship you are using and how it's fitted it would be easier to see what makes you have problems with the missions.

Soon to be Trading Alt. All future Forum activities will be conducted by Akane Togenada who for all purposes and until further notice shall be considered the "Main" of this player.

Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2017-01-06 20:41:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Black-Hawk Ellecon
I am flying an Incursus with two 125mm railguns firing antimatter s charges. I have successfully killed ships both before these missions and during at least one, it came close to me losing my ship but I was able to finish them all off before my armor gave out. I can target several ships using cntrl and mouse click in the overview. I approach a targeted ship and then when in range I press the fire button on my grouped guns. The guns fire fine but just keep missing and eventually I have to warp out either due to frustration(after a long time trying) or because my armor has depleted a lot.

But the frustrating bit is that I cannot seem to hit the ships when I have done so before using similar ships and fittings.

here is the fit out:

[Incursus, Black-Hawk Ellecon's Incursus]
[Empty Low slot]
[Empty Low slot]
Small Armor Repairer I
Overdrive Injector System I

1MN Afterburner I
Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

125mm Railgun I
125mm Railgun I
Civilian Salvager

Antimatter Charge S x3298
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#6 - 2017-01-06 20:42:19 UTC  |  Edited by: MadMuppet
Initial thoughts:

Lose the Adaptive Invulnerability field, the Overdrive, and the cilivian salvager

Add

low slot
Adaptive Nano Plating I
Explosive Nano Plating I
Damage Control I

Mid slot
Statis Webifier I
Cap Recharger I

Why:
The nano plating and damage control reduce damage you take to your armor when shot
The Web can be used to slow your target down to make him eiasier to hit
The Cap Recharger will give you a little more time to fight.

Do not run your Armor Repair all the time, only when you take damage. I usually drag the icon for it up by my gun icon so I can turn it on and off with F2

With rails and that ammo, orbit at something like 7500m

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Kamala Sakar
Doomheim
#7 - 2017-01-06 21:03:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Kamala Sakar
I personally prefer using a Catalyst (the Destroyer you get from the last advanced military career mission) but a Incursus should be able to get the Job done for most of the Arc.

Here's a quick fit I've thrown together that should work most of the time:

[Incursus, *Simulated Incursus]
Small Armor Repairer I
Damage Control I
Magnetic Field Stabilizer I
100mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates

1MN Afterburner I
Stasis Webifier I
Cap Recharger I

125mm Railgun I
125mm Railgun I
125mm Railgun I

Hobgoblin I x1

Plutonium Charge S x240

I'd still recommend using a Catalyst instead since it makes the Arc much easier.

Soon to be Trading Alt. All future Forum activities will be conducted by Akane Togenada who for all purposes and until further notice shall be considered the "Main" of this player.

MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#8 - 2017-01-06 21:07:55 UTC
The Catalyst, well almost all of the destroyers, are monsters and I agree with Kamala that they would be a good choice.

I forgot there was a third turret on the frigate you're flying (I usually fly Minmamtar rust), and if you have trained Light Combat Drones to at least 1 you can carry the drone along to help you.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2017-01-06 21:08:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Black-Hawk Ellecon
thanks for the help MadMuppet. My problem is not that I get close to being killed and so need more defenses it is that I have all or most of my shield intact and all of my armor so I can last ok until I warp out due to frustration and fear of losing my ship (I wait a while though). The problem is that I cannot hit the ships except perhaps 1 in 10 or 15 shots and they hit me every time hence my fear of losing my ship and my frustration at not being able to hit the little blighters!!

I will fit my ship as per your post as it makes sense but what about the salvager? I use it to scan wrecks and get a bit extra isk from items I collect.

I wrote this before the last two posts and so will have to think about the two alternative fitouts.
Memphis Baas
#10 - 2017-01-06 21:20:11 UTC
125mm Railgun I are designed to be long range guns. We typically use them with the long range charges (iron, tungsten, iridium) and they function best when your target is moving slowly and at 15-18km.

NPCs in missions have a tendency to fly to you and try to orbit you very fast at 2-5km. This makes your long range railguns be unable to track them; imagine a WW2 battleship's guns that just can't rotate fast enough to track a speedboat that's doing circles around it.

Solutions are:

1. Use your afterburner to get away from the enemies and try to kite them from 10-15km, switch from antimatter to tungsten or iridium charge S ammo to be able to hit at that range).

2. Switch your guns to short range guns (blasters). Small Ion Blaster I would do fine. Blasters are short range guns, they're designed to be used with short range ammo (antimatter, plutonium, or uranium charge S) and function best at close range, 1-4 km. This matches the behavior of the NPCs, and you'll want to use your afterburner to get close to each target before shooting it. You can also install a stasis webifier in a medium slot, to keep the target still as you shoot it.

In any case, each type of weapon in this game has a long range and a short range version. Lasers have beam lasers vs. pulse lasers. Hybrids have railguns vs. blasters. Projectiles have artillery vs. autocannons. Missiles have light missiles vs. rockets, heavy missiles vs. heavy assault missiles, cruise missiles vs. torpedoes.

When you fit your ship, you're supposed to pick the guns for the range that you prefer, then install an afterburner to be able to get close or stay away, then fit the rest of the ship to support that range. For long range you don't need as much defense, because you're staying well away, so you can put in some magnetic field stabilizers in the low slots for extra damage. For short range, though, you need defenses, so Gallente typically use armors and you put in a small armor repairer, damage control, and maybe an armor hardener.
Kamala Sakar
Doomheim
#11 - 2017-01-06 21:23:49 UTC
Salvagers are fine on ships that have spare high slots, the second Gallente Destroyer called the Algos is one example, but in general you should always fit the maximum number of weapons you can.

Also be aware that although mission salvage will net you some income it's really nothing when you factor in the time it takes which could be used to complete more missions instead.

Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2017-01-06 21:29:04 UTC
I didn't realize about the range of the weapons and this would explain why I cannot hit the ships when close to them. So thanks for the explanation as it makes sense now. I appreciate all the help and can see that once again I have a lot to learn about playing this game successfully!!

I won't bother with the salvager either.
Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2017-01-06 21:33:51 UTC
However I could do with a suggestion for my fit as there are two conflicting suggestions and also I could go back to my base station and swap to my Catalyst.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#14 - 2017-01-06 21:39:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
I'd be inclined towards Kamala's fit, but with an energised nano membrane rather than a plate,
and a capacitor booster (with charges) in the hold rather than a cap battery.

Just as an FYI, that hull is a favorite of a mate of mine, he'll pick fights with players in cruisers,battlecruisers and battleships in it,
and often win
Memphis Baas
#15 - 2017-01-06 21:54:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Kamala's fit has enough defenses that you'll be fine close range too, so, optionally you can replace the 125mm Railgun I's with Light Ion Blaster I, and then check the fittings screen to see if you have enough power grid to do 200mm plate instead of 100mm.

Or, if you go with Energized Membrane (for increased armor resistances) instead of armor plates (for extra armor hit points), like Ralph suggested, that will free up some powergrid on the ship, and you can upgrade the blasters to the more powerful Light Neutron Blasters (use antimatter or plutonium charges with them).

You can see some of the versatility of the Incursus ship, it's a tough nasty little nugget when you fit it properly. Long range or short range, it has enough versatility.

Otherwise, Catalyst is a destroyer. You can use it if you want, but keep in mind that the fighting style is different than a frigate. Destroyers are designed to shoot the target dead before they take damage, and with its slower speed and bulkier size, destroyers are very vulnerable to missiles and larger ships (like cruisers). So with the Catalyst you'd try to stay at range with a full rack of 125mm Railguns and you won't have many low slots available for defenses. So you better kill the enemies fast before they overwhelm you.

However, the missions are easy enough for frigates, a destroyer's many guns will chew through most of them no problem. Either or, you'll only encounter difficulty towards the end, with the final few boss fights.

So, up to you, really. The whole point is to experiment with different fittings, so that you learn the nuances.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#16 - 2017-01-06 21:54:52 UTC
I picked the nano plate over the energized out of mostly memory and that I believe they are easier to fit at lower-skill point players. (I'm commenting out of game here)

If you need more accuracy you should fit Tracking Enhancer I in the low slot.

If you need more damage you should fit Magnetic Stabilizer I in the low slot.

Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2017-01-06 22:04:22 UTC
I cannot seem to set a destination (have to go and get stasis webifier). I set it in places but I am told it cannot set a destination twice but no autopilot button shows up when I undock and the destination is not showing in the top left corner?
Memphis Baas
#18 - 2017-01-06 22:14:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Top left side of the screen you should have the following text:

A Route:
Solar System where you are
ooooooooooooo (a bunch of squares actually)
Destination Solar system

The Autopilot is a button (A) on the left side of the HUD circle at the bottom of the screen that has your shields and armor bars.

Otherwise, each gate along the way should also be shown in yellow in your Overview list. Instead of autopilot you can just click the yellow gate to select it, then click the ->> jump button at the top right of your screen.

If you bought the webifier from another station in the same solar system where you are, then just undock, click your Assets button from the toolbar on the left, expand the contents until you see your webifier, and right-click the station where it is and choose "Dock"
Black-Hawk Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2017-01-06 22:14:48 UTC
I think the problem was that I was trying to go to a 0.4 sec location and I have my green button stopping me from doing dangerous things?
Memphis Baas
#20 - 2017-01-06 22:17:37 UTC
Well, open the market, and click the top of the PRICE columns to sort the market by prices.

But also pay attention to the first column, DISTANCE, when you buy things. You don't want to travel too far, or to lowsec space.

So scroll down and find a cheap webifier somewhere closer to you.

Then before you buy, right-click the listing in the market, and choose Location -> Set Destination, to see where it goes. If it's a lowsec system, don't buy that item, find another location to buy from.
12Next page