These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Volumetric clouds killing my win98 intel celeron

First post
Author
Ron Berkut
Berkut n' Slift's
#1 - 2016-12-31 10:42:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Ron Berkut
Game is running completely fine on most occasions, except in complexes, where those large "volumetric clouds" are often present. For instance, i have no problems in asteroids belts where thousands of asteroid "particles" block light.

Any advice on what to deactivate in options, or improve the framerate without sacrificing too much on visual quality?
Smoke + light/shadow rendering, always a tricky buisness^^
Thanks, and have a good new year's eve ;)

Hmm, i posted in the wrong section^^
Arcelian
0nus
#2 - 2016-12-31 11:55:13 UTC
Turn everything off in those particular missions. Just go to your graphics options and use the pre-set "performance." I run up to six accounts at a time, and all but one client is set to performance. It's straight potato mode, but it should work.

Though if you are really using a celeron processor, I'm just...impressed.

Moksa Elodie
Hijo de la Luna
#3 - 2016-12-31 12:46:20 UTC
tldr; but i suggest reapplying thermal paste to the CPU
Vayen Kukkus
#4 - 2016-12-31 12:48:48 UTC
Ummmmm....I think you need to add more potatoes.

DUST 514 FOREVER!!!!

Miranda Shoota
Leviathan Investment Group
#5 - 2016-12-31 14:50:24 UTC
I don't think I have ever seen one of those fabled volumetric clouds..

I did however see 2D debris sprites during the NPE... 2D sprites... whaa! What year is this again?
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2016-12-31 15:11:41 UTC
There are only two options: low shaders or effects off. The latter one can't be done on the fly, because it requires a session change. Another would be to buy highend hardware. Blink

I'm my own NPC alt.

Orgah
Doomheim
#7 - 2016-12-31 15:36:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Orgah
Dunno about celeron/win98, but those damn things kill FPS on my 2 year old i7 / win8.1 / GT635 laptop just as fine.

There was a time when EVE ran super smoothly, but then - this year - they did an update in the effects somewhere and now I just can't play with the deadspace clouds on screen.

Seriously, of all the things they needed to up the quality of deadspace clouds. Roll Which were one of the main cause of FPS lag since 2003.

Fortunately, switching effects off kills the clouds dead.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2016-12-31 16:13:50 UTC
Would be great if there were graphics presets that went from Beauty -> Performance -> Toaster -> Potato
Ron Berkut
Berkut n' Slift's
#9 - 2016-12-31 16:15:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Ron Berkut
Thanks for the answers and explanations, so far i would just zoom out, but its not always ideal.

I bought my computer around the time Battlefield3 came out. ;)
Already old i guess, but it handles eve no problems, minus the clouds issue.

I'm sure mashed potatoes applied on the cpu will constitute an excellent thermal paste and improve framerate.
ISD Max Trix
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#10 - 2016-12-31 18:24:25 UTC
Quote:
13. Spamming is prohibited.

Spam is defined as the repetitive posting of the same topic or nonsensical post that has no substance and is often designed to annoy other forum users. This can include the words “first”, “go back to insert other game name” and other such posts that contribute no value to forum discussion. Spamming also includes the posting of ASCII art within a forum post, or the practice of “thread necromancy” which involved bumping of old threads for no justifiable reason.

Couple of issues here.

1. You cant play the game without launching it through the launcher.

2. The launched can not be used with any system older than Windows Vista.

Thus its not possible that you are playing eve on a win98 system.

So Closed.

ISD Max Trix

Lieutenant

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to EVE mails about forum moderation.