These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

New player trying to take it all in

Author
Denialle Keikira
Brand Newbros
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#41 - 2016-12-27 10:36:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Denialle Keikira
New player puts together a character with a silly name
New players asks for help on forums.
New player is told to have a sense of humour.
He is then criticized for his silly name.
New player attempts to lawyer a defence for his name.
Another player steps in to the debate over name to point out he should have a sense of humour.
New player is advised that no matter if right ot wrong, defending ones self makes you look bad so now noone is going to help him now.

*sigh* humans...youre a funny bunch

EDIT:
I would recommend finding a good active corp with similar goals and interests to yourself. There are a bunch of newbro friendly corps which are great for learning the game with others, atleast until you decide where in eve you want to be
Jhonas Riddick
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#42 - 2016-12-27 11:28:15 UTC
HERPINDERPINHERP HERPINDERPIN wrote:

I posted that I was wrong about my original position regarding names and I thanked you for showing me that I was wrong. I literally learned the lesson you were trying to teach me, and I thanked you for it. You were right and I was wrong. What else can I do for you now? I'm new, I have ideas, I tried to explain them to you but was met with such hostility

And so it begins, your life in EvE... welcome Smile
Grigg Skjellerup
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2016-12-27 11:50:38 UTC
HERPINDERPINHERP HERPINDERPIN wrote:

My name serves as a way to detect if an individual can/will immediately judge my intelligence and/or competence in a negative light based on their aversion or acceptance of something as simple as a name. This information lets me allocate my social resources and investments in people in a more fine tuned manner. Those that cannot see beyond a name they dislike and their immediate dis.missal of my intellectual capacity are a waste of time to me honestly

I'll prejudge you for your name. Not so much your intelligence and/or competence, but attitude. I'll simply judge that anyone willing to use a name like that is going to be someone I won't enjoy playing with. There's a few other types of names that get the same reaction out of me. I don't assume the owners are stupid, I just assume they're wankers and/or 12 years old. If you want to judge me for that, I've got no issue with it.
Tanuki Kittybeta
Ripperoni in Pepperoni
#44 - 2016-12-27 12:13:49 UTC
awww yeah take it all in nice and slow
Yarosara Ruil
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#45 - 2016-12-27 12:23:24 UTC
I don't care how professional and thoughtful a lawyer is, if he is dressed like a clown I'm not going to be his client!
Mikael Nolen
Weave
#46 - 2016-12-28 02:39:15 UTC
OP PLEASE
Sameli Adelora
Celestial Industrial Supplies
#47 - 2016-12-28 05:36:06 UTC
Don't try to take it all in. There are things in the game that you can't do yet focus on the things you can. Take it in a little at a time and get good at that little bit then take on more.
Sitting Bull Lakota
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#48 - 2016-12-28 09:34:52 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
P.S. Your name is OK, wear your name tag with pride and honor.

Keep one thing in mind, OP, you cannot change you name here. Five or ten years down the road, are you still going to be happy with that name?

Or are you going to be one of those people who comes to forums and whines because they named their character something stupid when they were in their early 20s?

I have batted the idea of changing my name around. I've received enough of a response from other players that CCP may be open to allowing me to change my name.
My intention in choosing S.B.L. was nothing but reverance and respect for the man and his accomplishments along withthe tribe he rode with.
However, I've been called out for using a name without permission from the tribe (if such a system to acquire permission exists) by players who appear to be knowledgable about the topic. I have also had a few "warriors of justice" accuse me of appropriation.

I'd rather upset people with my actions rather than my name.
If they'd allow me to, I'd rename to Ski Bare Loveland.

To the thread originator, as a new player, you have the power to change your name with very little pain.
It is completely up to you, of course, but for the sake of your continued enjoyment of the game, choose to name yourself something original to you.
Torin Corax
Game of Roams
#49 - 2016-12-28 10:55:19 UTC
Hi and welcome to EvE.

As far as your original post goes, everyone chooses to play how they want to play. If you have the patience to go slow and dedicate 2-3 months per "aspect" of eve, then go for it. There is nothing wrong with that, and making sure you have a good understanding of the basics for each Eve occupation will certainly benefit you in the long run......and Eve is very much a long-run kind of game imo.

That being said, Eve is also about specialization. The sooner you have a good idea about what is going to be fun for you, and what direction you want to take your character the better. It's a balancing act, and one you will have to figure out for yourself based on your personal preferences.

As to the name....well.
The most important commodity in Eve is trust. It is a bloody rare commodity indeed. As a new player you have no history, no "banked" trust so to speak. Any time you approach other players, either an individual or a corp, they are going to make an assessment of you based on the information they have (which is almost none at this time). The name is not going to be helpful to you. It is a name one would expect from a forum troll/ in-game troll/ adolescent troll etc. It does not inspire any trust whatsoever, and actually sets off a few alarm bells for those who have been playing Eve long enough to be very cautious in their dealings with an unknown entity.

While I do understand the principle behind your stated purpose of your choice of name, please understand that those who are criticizing it are not doing so out of spite or malice. They are in fact trying to help a newbro out. They/ we are simply trying to help you understand that it may well be detrimental to you in the long run to choose a name that immediately puts more experienced players on their guard.
You may be using the name in order to help judge other people by their response to it, fair enough. As long as you understand that the response will often be "tainted" by in-game experiences with which you are entirely unfamiliar at this time. Anyone who's played Eve for any length of time has probably had experience of trusting those who were not deserving of that trust. This is EvE.

Everything you say and do in this game will follow you. Every decision you make, in-game or in the forum will have consequences. We are trying to help you see the possible consequences before they jump up and smack you in the face.

This is about as helpful as I get. Advice is free, take it or not as you see fit.

NofriendNoLifeStilPostin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#50 - 2016-12-29 02:30:16 UTC
You should ask my 18 year old girlfriend. She takes it all in.

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
Already Replaced.
#51 - 2016-12-29 09:03:40 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
Wow that's an incredibly irritating name Shocked

we shall call this one pin Big smile
Omar Alharazaad
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#52 - 2016-12-29 10:31:49 UTC
Actually, I find some perverse entertainment in what people can try to read from a name in this game.
You'd be amazed at how many times I've been called a terrorist or worse in local, and I mean some really vile stuff.
Some of it even came close to hurting my feeling.
Granted, this was often right after I'd blown up their ship, but still it was pretty inappropriate.

Truthfully, I think that many of the people who are going to have difficulty taking you seriously in game are the same folks that have issues accepting the disconnect between character and player in games.

*shrug*

Also, welcome to General Discussion.
You will find 'some' good advice here, but you will find better in New Citizens Q&A.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Trasch Taranogas
State War Academy
Caldari State
#53 - 2016-12-29 19:00:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Trasch Taranogas
Just chill OP. Its a ladies game. No hustle, no skills just cruising around
doin your thing.
Like hangin at a bar alone or with buddies figuring out what the hell next.

Scraping together skills dreamin about makin it big, at something.

Boom youre dead. Bam got some ISK.

Drop youre bookmark and keep youre optimal firerange.

P.S. Most chicks are dudes.

If you always stay ready you don't have to get ready.

Celise Katelo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#54 - 2016-12-29 19:33:57 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Keno Skir wrote:
Wow that's an incredibly irritating name Shocked

we shall call this one pin Big smile

I think i will call the OP "Button Moon"

EVEBoard ...Just over 60million skill points, each skill was chosen for a reason. I closed my eyes & clicked another skill to train... "BINGO...!!!" ... "This time i got something usefull"

Trasch Taranogas
State War Academy
Caldari State
#55 - 2016-12-29 20:43:16 UTC
@Salvos Rhoska

You Finn?!

No voihan iso vittu!

Wendell Stamps
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2016-12-29 21:50:37 UTC
I wouldn't be bothered by the name nannies here. Nothing about your silly name will prevent you from achieving what you want to achieve. Hell, my main's corp CEO (the leader of 3800+ members) is DurrHurrDurr, and we had an FC named Yolo Swagtron. Silly is fine.
Trasch Taranogas
State War Academy
Caldari State
#57 - 2016-12-29 22:04:56 UTC
Wendell Stamps wrote:
I wouldn't be bothered by the name nannies here. Nothing about your silly name will prevent you from achieving what you want to achieve. Hell, my main's corp CEO (the leader of 3800+ members) is DurrHurrDurr, and we had an FC named Yolo Swagtron. Silly is fine.

Right there. Also if he starts using comm in some corp he will
probably be nicknamed.

Previous page123