These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Holy boredom.

Author
Cien Banchiere
Extrinsic Arcadia Distribution
#21 - 2016-12-25 22:20:39 UTC
While it could be much more interactive, some of us enjoy the entire production process.

Source: been mining and building for almost 6yr. Plenty of time for other activities
Gwenaelle de Ardevon
Ardevon Corporation
#22 - 2016-12-25 23:28:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwenaelle de Ardevon
I would not play EvE, if there was no industry...
It's (for me) the most interesting part of the game.
Mining = cleanen up the belts Big smile
Hauling = all time looking for bad guys & if needed running like Jerry the mouse...Big smile
Producing stuff & selling on market... buying what i do not produce by my self and producing T2 stuff...
Ships, guns, ammo, moduls ... everything PVPers needs (or PVEers after being killed) Roll
The perfect life of an "peacefull" warmonger Big smileShocked

«An hour sitting with a pretty girl on a park bench passes like a minute, but a minute sitting on a hot stove seems like an hour». Albert Einstein - [11, S. 154]

More Quotes, Poetry & Prose on: https://gwenaelledeardevon.wordpress.com/

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#23 - 2016-12-26 00:13:18 UTC
You should be happy there are people enjoying it, because if there was no one mining there would be nothing on the market for you to buy except the skillbooks and that sort of thing that is not possible to manufacture.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Singur Augurao
Mohist Army
Mohist Alliance
#24 - 2016-12-26 01:46:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Singur Augurao
you miss the IS-7 ?
TackyTachy1
Doomheim
#25 - 2016-12-26 20:12:46 UTC
I enjoy mining my way; a couple Skiffs chewing up the ore then spitting it out, big freighter chasing cans and rat kills. Either sell the stuff to my industry character or, if she's broke, then chase the market. Or, as happens a lot, reprocess, market, make ISK so I can replace what got blown up whilst doing non-mining stuff. Don't worry about gankers, because, well, I don't worry about gankers.

Forum Rep for a bunch of characters, couple corps and one seriously Lost In Space multiboxer.

Salvos Rhoska
#26 - 2016-12-26 20:30:37 UTC
Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#27 - 2016-12-26 21:38:18 UTC
Trasch Taranogas wrote:

...How can that book be 3 500 000 ISK?...

Worth every isk. Cloaking and scanning open up so many aspects of EvE.

Mining with others as a social activity can be fun. Mining solo can sometimes feel like scraping an escape tunnel out of a dungeon with a broken spoon.

Abyss Azizora
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2016-12-26 21:39:05 UTC
I mine while at work, as it's VERY afk-able, (check on it once every 15-25 minutes) and pays more than the second most afk-able activity, lvl 4 transport missions. Even with the highest mining yield that is attainable in highsec, it's still ****-poor income. (12-15m an hour) But that is still 80-100m more isk per day than I'd have otherwise.

As for anyone "actively" mining, they are either new and don't know of a better income source, are multiboxing 5-10 accounts to mine, (which is stupid, since you'd make more isk buying and selling plex instantly with your sub money for all those accounts instead.) Or they genuinely just enjoy it as an activity.

Mining may be required to keep the economy going, but it's just about the worst profession in the game due to how BORING and LOW PAY it is. But if people enjoy it, then good for them, let em enjoy it.
Abyss Azizora
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2016-12-26 21:42:02 UTC
Chribba wrote:
You should be happy there are people enjoying it, because if there was no one mining there would be nothing on the market for you to buy except the skillbooks and that sort of thing that is not possible to manufacture.

/c

Actually, there would still be stuff on the market due to reprocessing loot, now if people stopped enjoying industry as a whole, then yeah, we'd all be screwed. :P
aldhura
Blackjack and Exotic Dancers
Top Tier
#30 - 2016-12-26 21:50:41 UTC
Join a corp they will help you out. Missions make more isk for the solo player. Also CCP gave us some gifts, sell those.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2016-12-27 05:23:08 UTC
Trasch Taranogas wrote:
Hmm, what is more important?

Defence, ore yield or cargo hold.

Just for example: my ship (Endurance) worth about 30 million ISK fully fitted. It pays for itself in like 40 minutes of mining Krystallos.
It has 14k EHP and 2 warp stabilizers.

I lose them every other month.

The math is simple - AFK all the way Big smile

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#32 - 2016-12-27 06:13:31 UTC
Mining can be fun as a social thing. Like most pilots I started out that way, but soon moved onto more exciting stuff as I made more friends and got invited into riskier scenarios. Eve can be pretty intense if you let it, and even in my later years I'd keep a few mining characters. Is a nice change for an evening after months of pvp and I'd always use it to meet and socialize with other miners or newbies who'd otherwise prolly not trust my mains.

I guess some people might find the math of mining, refining and trade/manufacture a turn on too. All power to them I guess!

Trasch Taranogas wrote:
W-space = defense

Lo-sec = yield

Hi-sec = hold

Elementary dear Spock.

Oh gosh no. In wormhole space I'd actually go for hold unless you have friends because chances are if you get jumped you're screwed. 9 times out of 10 you won't fend off what's coming so just be vigilant and gtfo if you can. Those 0.0 ores can be worth a lot so grab as much as you can while the goings good.

Hi sec is where you're gonna be caught off guard while relaxed. I'd go for defence. The ore isn't as lucrative anyway and if you're that bad off financially then a barge loss is gonna be a big hit. So tank up in highsex.

Lowsec kinda falls between these two extremes, imo.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2016-12-27 06:49:21 UTC
As I have said before, mining is like fishing. Something to do every once in a while when you can't be arsed to do anything more active; and to be done with friends who enjoy hanging out with you. That or you have a doorstopper you want to finish reading up before the end of that day and you don't want to let the day pass without getting something of material value while at it.

I personally wouldn't advise doing this as a day job. Work IRL is already tedious enough. Go do missions if you want something more exciting.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Expendable Unit
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#34 - 2016-12-27 08:01:51 UTC
Trasch Taranogas wrote:
How can anybody in their right mind like mining?

Am I missing something?

Tried to get cloaking skillbok ISK by mining, taking forever.

How can that book be 3 500 000 ISK? Could buy the original
Guthenberg Bible for less.

Good heavens that there are corps such as CODE. that actively do something regarding this boring Eve activity. They ensure that people have the most fun in eve BY ALL MEANS NECESSARY if they are currently in the process of operating any type of boring logistic/mining operation.
Kalido Raddi
Crown Mineworks
#35 - 2016-12-27 08:11:52 UTC
Mining is a lot more interactive when you have 4+ characters on grid, including compression and tractor beams to pull cans.

Once you're into a good Corp your focus is less on individual'roids and more on how fast your Corp can sycle anoms.
Alaric Faelen
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2016-12-27 15:32:09 UTC
Yeah, sitting in a belt in high sec is the entry level experience for mining. If it's something you enjoy (I don't, but to each his own) then you can take it further and explore the content. At the moment that mostly boils down to increasing your exposure to PvP. But that also includes other game mechanics to explore.

Try gas mining.
You need to probe down a wormhole, probe down the site, spam D-Scan hoping no one notices you, GTFO the moment either another player or rats show up. Profit.

Try ninja mining.
Get a Blops bridge into dangerous space, snatch the good ore, haul buckets back to market. Profit.

Try fleet mining.
Someone needs to fly a hauler. Someone needs to train for boosting. Someone needs perfect reprocessing or market skills. You don't have to do them all in a group, specialize and make yourself invaluable.

Very little of the PvE in this game is really challenging or exciting. CCP has been developing better AI, and they deserve credit for that effort. But you really can't expect much from hovering in front of a rock shooting it with a fancy flashlight, can you?
If you want more action, there is usually around 30,000 other players online at any given time to shoot in the face. Many will shoot back.

Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#37 - 2016-12-27 16:39:28 UTC
Why is boredom a bad thing?

I put 95% of my effort into work/hobbies IRL. Most of the time I play a game I love being bored for a little while.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#38 - 2016-12-27 17:17:24 UTC
Vortexo VonBrenner wrote:
Trasch Taranogas wrote:

...How can that book be 3 500 000 ISK?...

Worth every isk. Cloaking and scanning open up so many aspects of EvE.

Mining with others as a social activity can be fun. Mining solo can sometimes feel like scraping an escape tunnel out of a dungeon with a broken spoon.

Yep. I'm playing an alt right now to relearn the game. I bought a cheap probing frigate with a cloak, and one trip to a wormhole to a single, mostly failed, hacking site with basic gear paid for the ship, the gear, and the book (nettted 8 million+). The 3.5 million isk for the book is cheap really.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Eleonora Crendraven
Global Communications AG
#39 - 2016-12-27 17:42:34 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Trasch Taranogas wrote:
How can that book be 3 500 000 ISK?
Train up a capital pilot if you want to know what expensive skillbooks look like. Or a builder, with 30+ books at 10 million a pop.

You noobies can be so precious sometimes.

Mr Epeen Cool

Big smileBig smileBig smile

Don't know how many Iskies I spent for skill books... probably more than I spent for ships.

But regarding the "boring" mining: it is a great way to calm down after a long day - just spend an hour inside a belt and watch the asteroids spinning around... zzzzzzzzz.....

https://twitter.com/gcAG_EVE

http://eveboard.com/pilot/Eleonora_Crendraven

≡⋁≡

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#40 - 2016-12-27 19:10:27 UTC
Marcus Rintel wrote:
When I'm experiencing a large bout on Insomnia, I mine. After about 3 trips, I'm done, and can pass out. Though I am training to be a Production and Industry person. Liking the idea of selling what I make to you all to blow up. LOL. Just need to get my sub again to access the better P&I skills.

So, mining is useful after all. It works better than Nyquil or melatonin, and no physical side effects!
Previous page123Next page