These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

TORtanic Trailer

Author
Lord Mandelor
Oruze Cruise
White Stag Exit Bag
#21 - 2012-01-14 21:08:05 UTC
Keras Authion wrote:
Now the uploader is trying to imply something here....

Quote:
The RMS Eve Online has already been dispatched, however, I fear they may be too late as the radio operator was asleep when cries for help came.

Like what?
Lord Mandelor
Oruze Cruise
White Stag Exit Bag
#22 - 2012-01-19 03:53:50 UTC
The ship has sunk.

Brace for new EVE players.
Tiberius Sunstealer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#23 - 2012-01-19 03:57:48 UTC
Lord Mandelor wrote:
The ship has sunk.

At least CCP allows you to cancel your subscription and doesn't make the button magically disappear...twice (SW:TOR and WAR).
Lord Mandelor
Oruze Cruise
White Stag Exit Bag
#24 - 2012-01-19 04:34:52 UTC
Tiberius Sunstealer wrote:
Lord Mandelor wrote:
The ship has sunk.

At least CCP allows you to cancel your subscription and doesn't make the button magically disappear...twice (SW:TOR and WAR).

I feel like we both might be from somewhere that never talks about video games.
Tiberius Sunstealer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#25 - 2012-01-19 05:42:06 UTC
Lord Mandelor wrote:

I'm pretty sure we both are but i've got to ask you one question to be sure:
Do you like video games?
Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2012-01-19 06:25:38 UTC
SWTOR will lose lots of subs in the first few months once but people will come back every 6 months, a year, or maybe more to play the new content.
Tiberius Sunstealer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#27 - 2012-01-19 06:39:07 UTC
Herping yourDerp wrote:
SWTOR will lose lots of subs in the first few months once but people will come back every 6 months, a year, or maybe more to play the new content.

This isn't WoW. It will probably be dead within a year.
stoicfaux
#28 - 2012-01-19 14:19:58 UTC  |  Edited by: stoicfaux
Ok, SW:TOR is now officially showing weakness. I just got this email allowing me to become a "Founder." (I was in the Beta and did *not* buy the game, so why would I be a founder?)

Quote:

Thank you for helping to make Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ one of the most successful MMO launches to date. For a limited time only, to honor our first players, we will be granting the exclusive "Founder" title to qualifying accounts*, which will apply to all of your in-game characters. This title will not be available to any new players after 3/18/2012.

Founder FAQ/Process: http://www.swtor.com/info/founders?sourceid=eag3393

edit: Ouch. Looks like they want to get a 2nd month out you too before giving you the Founder title.
Quote:

Once you become eligible for the title and have surpassed your 30 days of game time included with your official Game Product Registration Code, you will be notified by email.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#29 - 2012-01-19 14:58:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Destination SkillQueue
stoicfaux wrote:
Ok, SW:TOR is now officially showing weakness. I just got this email allowing me to become a "Founder." (I was in the Beta and did *not* buy the game, so why would I be a founder?)

Quote:

Thank you for helping to make Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ one of the most successful MMO launches to date. For a limited time only, to honor our first players, we will be granting the exclusive "Founder" title to qualifying accounts*, which will apply to all of your in-game characters. This title will not be available to any new players after 3/18/2012.

Founder FAQ/Process: http://www.swtor.com/info/founders?sourceid=eag3393

edit: Ouch. Looks like they want to get a 2nd month out you too before giving you the Founder title.
Quote:

Once you become eligible for the title and have surpassed your 30 days of game time included with your official Game Product Registration Code, you will be notified by email.

Such attempts were to be expected though and will even be celebrated by the fanboys and marketing talk illiterate. I've followed a decent amount of MMO launches and every one of them have plans to get people to sub for additional months. Timing patches right before subs end, so people see fixes are being made and new content added(Backfired for TOR). They can also intentionally withold content from launch and put it in a content patch later on, so they can give the impression, that they can deliver high quality content quickly and make it easier for people to sub for another month. I see it more as prudent planning than anything else at least from the company's point of view, but if they don't deliver people can, rightly so, feel angry about being manipulated.
stoicfaux
#30 - 2012-01-19 16:49:41 UTC
Double ouch: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-falls-on-broker-concerns-about-star-wars-2012-01-19?siteid=yhoof2

Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Electronic Arts Inc. fell nearly 3% to $17.75 on Thursday morning after an analyst with Brean Murray Carret & Co. cut his price target on the stock to $22 from $28, citing concerns about the recently released online multi-player game "Star Wars: The Old Republic." In a note to clients, analyst Todd Mitchell wrote that "creeping concerns" about the performance of "Star Wars" -- which was released in late December -- is causing him to trim his earnings estimates for the 2013 fiscal year. "Specifically, initial sales appear to be below expectations, and casual observation of early play is causing us to rethink our churn assumptions," Mitchell wrote.

Odd, given that the game shattered previous mmo sale records. OTOH, it sounds like churn could be a significant problem given how quickly people are hitting the level cap and the purported lackluster end game content.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Lord Mandelor
Oruze Cruise
White Stag Exit Bag
#31 - 2012-01-19 23:08:45 UTC
Tiberius Sunstealer wrote:
Lord Mandelor wrote:

I'm pretty sure we both are but i've got to ask you one question to be sure:
Do you like video games?

I hate video games, and fun is a buzzword. You're supposed to play a game to experience the features, not have "fun"!
Atticus Fynch
#32 - 2012-01-19 23:20:29 UTC
I think the latest in SW themed games was Force Unleashed. I played it and loved the graphics and gameplay in it though the ganeplay was bit too scripted for me. (That is to say, you have to follow a certain order of action in order to get past a level which eliminates freedom of choice IMO.)

I was expecting the same with TOR. I was disappointed.

I mentioned this on the TOR forum prior to release and was shouted down by the die-hard, pathetically apologetic fans.

I didnt bother subbing once it came out.

Play RIFT. It's a superior game in many ways. Especially visually.

[b]★★★Cargo Pilots Unite!!!★★★ https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=668132&#post668132[/b]

Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#33 - 2012-01-19 23:49:38 UTC
Hahahaha ...

Hahahaha ... (points at TOR)

Even if they just lose HALF of everyone and never get it back, I'll be a happy bitter little troll, just a couple more month and they perhaps will probably stabilize around EQ2s pop.

I honestly hope they @%!@%!23 sink and tank the game and that it ends like STO.

Or who knows, perhaps they will go Tabula Rasa after the IP is no longer profitable enough to even sustain a couple servers.

Nothing but sheer hatred and venomous bile from my part to SWTOR, and in consequence to EA, they have finally surpassed SOE in evilness, egotistical mediocrity masqueraded as superiority and total degradation of whatever human souls they had within them.

Hope they rot in Hell.

Same with RIFT and any other P2P MMO out there. Damn Dinosaurs. They should go extinct!!! Except EVE/CCP I think they have enough pumps and people willing to help them stay afloat until the moment they decide to go AWESOME again.

(goes back to play Evochron Mercenary)

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Atticus Fynch
#34 - 2012-01-20 00:20:30 UTC
Brujo Loco wrote:

Same with RIFT and any other P2P MMO out there. Damn Dinosaurs. They should go extinct!!! Except EVE/CCP I think they have enough pumps and people willing to help them stay afloat until the moment they decide to go AWESOME again.

(goes back to play Evochron Mercenary)

RIFT is awesome. Dont know what you are talking about there.

[b]★★★Cargo Pilots Unite!!!★★★ https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=668132&#post668132[/b]

stoicfaux
#35 - 2012-01-20 01:39:09 UTC
Ugh. Just received another SWTOR email inviting me to "See what the critics are saying" with a bunch of "Best of .. 2011" ratings/reviews and an appeal to buy the game Now! Seems a bit early for a marketing push.

Rift was meh. Just mindless PvP'ing with no real consequences. I can get that with TF2.

Personally, I'm holding out hope for Secret World. Granted, my hope is tempered by the fact that this is a Funcom MMO. =/

Tiberius Sunstealer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#36 - 2012-01-20 02:04:01 UTC
Lord Mandelor wrote:
I hate video games, and fun is a buzzword. You're supposed to play a game to experience the features, not have "fun"!

Well said. We are indeed from the same place.
Atticus Fynch
#37 - 2012-01-20 04:02:59 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:

Rift was meh. Just mindless PvP'ing with no real consequences. I can get that with TF2.

The warfronts in RIFT are pretty good. If you win, you get credits for better loot. If you lose...you get nothing.
The quests are incredibly varied. No repetition at all, and once done you cant repeat them.

You cant compare RIFT to EVE..they are two different games.

Tiberius Sunstealer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#38 - 2012-01-20 05:28:34 UTC
Atticus Fynch wrote:
You cant compare RIFT to EVE..they are two different games.

He wasn't, though.
Reiisha
#39 - 2012-01-21 14:21:45 UTC
I don't get what the fuss is about. Unlike most people in this thread i'm actually playing TOR and rather enjoying it, for now. Haven't had any problems or bugs or whatever.

I wanted a new KOTOR and i got my wish, sort of.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

So Sensational
Ventures
#40 - 2012-01-21 18:05:14 UTC  |  Edited by: So Sensational
Spent quite a few hours on this game since December 14th. Suffice it to say that Bioware/EA has now earned the #1 spot SoE used to hold on the altar of Shitbad Developer and Community Management teams. Practically every decision they've made has been beyond terrible.

Can't believe a company of this magnitude could hire people who are so completely inept at their jobs.