These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Mutuality of Freighter Ganking

First post
Author
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#261 - 2016-12-22 20:44:54 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Sonya Corvinus wrote:
Galaxy Duck wrote:
Hey Drac, exactly who is the Ganker CSM rep? You still haven't told me and I have grievances to air.

Careful, if you call him out on his BS too many times he will win by blocking you on the forums.

This is true

He blocked me when he tried to tell PL how dread bombs work.

Don't worry he still reads people's posts....he can't help it.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#262 - 2016-12-22 20:57:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Sonya Corvinus
Teckos Pech wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Sonya Corvinus wrote:
Galaxy Duck wrote:
Hey Drac, exactly who is the Ganker CSM rep? You still haven't told me and I have grievances to air.

Careful, if you call him out on his BS too many times he will win by blocking you on the forums.

This is true

He blocked me when he tried to tell PL how dread bombs work.

Don't worry he still reads people's posts....he can't help it.

He wants one of two things, one, to annoy people to the point they stop posting, or two (more likely) to annoy people to the point they think they are blocked and reply with alts to get that last jab in. That way he knows what accounts are controlled by the same person.

Either way, petty 5th grade stuff.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#263 - 2016-12-22 21:46:26 UTC
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

Yes people could get better at it, but it would take a dedicated group of people playing all out at it like gankers do to be able to skill up for it and as there is no reward I doubt it...

This right here is the heart of the matter. people are upset that a group of players dedicating their time, effort, and "playing all out at it" should be countered by a single player not wanting to put the time and effort in to fly safely.

The only device in the game that comes EVEN CLOSE is the rorquals panic module... but that doesn't STOP the dedicated group, it just buys the pilot some time to call for backup. which requires that they have a dedicated group of their own. and the counter balance to that is that the hull alone costs 2-3 times that of a freighter, they cannot jump into high-sec, and while the module is active they are unable to move.

y'know what I might be willing to see as an acceptable compromise actually. a new type of techII freighter. one that has the same cargo capacity as a regular one, maybe even give it a larger capacity. better tank, hell maybe even give it slightly faster align time, and let it fit a panic module for emergencies but would not have its own jump drive generator. (would have to rely on titan or pos bridges). give it a material cost in line with that of the rorqual, and give it the same restrictions against entering high-sec.

There yah go, a freighter that is "immune" to bumping. and will be much MUCH harder to kill... well as long as you have friends who can come save your ass when **** goes south that is.

Alternatively, give it the same stats as a JF, but can fit a panic module instead of a jump drive. except that the panic module will flag you suspect. If you are on your toes about it, you could activate the module as soon as the gank starts and save yourself, you would be stuck where you are until the module de-cycles though. and since you are flagged suspect you would be vulnerable to the gankers coming back to finish the job... but it would also buy you some time to rally assistance to get you out of there as well.

Their success is down to this naff bumping mechanic, I don't believe that they have the will or ability to do this without the bump mechanic, so as their time dedication and effort is based on a mechanic that gives them total control, let me say bluntly I have no respect for their play, because it is like taking candy from babies. Now if they were rushing in on a prize target and blapping it and holding it with suicide points in a running gank fest before it can dock hell I will give them a load of respect, but using this totally naff mechanic, it is stupidly easy.

So rather than be a victim to this naff mechanic I did what any hard core player does, refused to play that game, and people can make that choice with a bit of effort and attitude.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#264 - 2016-12-23 03:44:33 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

Yes people could get better at it, but it would take a dedicated group of people playing all out at it like gankers do to be able to skill up for it and as there is no reward I doubt it...

This right here is the heart of the matter. people are upset that a group of players dedicating their time, effort, and "playing all out at it" should be countered by a single player not wanting to put the time and effort in to fly safely.

The only device in the game that comes EVEN CLOSE is the rorquals panic module... but that doesn't STOP the dedicated group, it just buys the pilot some time to call for backup. which requires that they have a dedicated group of their own. and the counter balance to that is that the hull alone costs 2-3 times that of a freighter, they cannot jump into high-sec, and while the module is active they are unable to move.

y'know what I might be willing to see as an acceptable compromise actually. a new type of techII freighter. one that has the same cargo capacity as a regular one, maybe even give it a larger capacity. better tank, hell maybe even give it slightly faster align time, and let it fit a panic module for emergencies but would not have its own jump drive generator. (would have to rely on titan or pos bridges). give it a material cost in line with that of the rorqual, and give it the same restrictions against entering high-sec.

There yah go, a freighter that is "immune" to bumping. and will be much MUCH harder to kill... well as long as you have friends who can come save your ass when **** goes south that is.

Alternatively, give it the same stats as a JF, but can fit a panic module instead of a jump drive. except that the panic module will flag you suspect. If you are on your toes about it, you could activate the module as soon as the gank starts and save yourself, you would be stuck where you are until the module de-cycles though. and since you are flagged suspect you would be vulnerable to the gankers coming back to finish the job... but it would also buy you some time to rally assistance to get you out of there as well.

Their success is down to this naff bumping mechanic, I don't believe that they have the will or ability to do this without the bump mechanic, so as their time dedication and effort is based on a mechanic that gives them total control, let me say bluntly I have no respect for their play, because it is like taking candy from babies. Now if they were rushing in on a prize target and blapping it and holding it with suicide points in a running gank fest before it can dock hell I will give them a load of respect, but using this totally naff mechanic, it is stupidly easy.

So rather than be a victim to this naff mechanic I did what any hard core player does, refused to play that game, and people can make that choice with a bit of effort and attitude.

Drac, I have to break it to you. you are wrong.

YES.. overcoming bumping while flying a freighter is very difficult everyone agrees with that I am sure, or easy depending on if you scout and hold your position if you notice a bumpy macheriel.

You may have to consider that the game is purposely designed in this manner and no amount of complaining or going on strike will change it. You know as well as I do Drac there are people out the who don't listen to good sound advice and there is nothing you can do to get them to listen. The freighter gank gameplay is a part of space simulators, always has been, end of story.

If people took some time to understand the nature of eve and what they do within eve they would have a more cautious approach.

Drac please try to accept that the if one commits to overloading their freighter and not scouting before they jump then the game is designed so that people can come and kill you. It's the way the world works I'm afraid. This is one of the reasons I still love Eve. It's harsh, unforgiving and relentless. No game ever in my life has made me feel how Eve does.

At this point all you can really do is find a platform for you to spread your word, advising people of the safe way to do their hauling,

Drac, the game designers have us trumped on psychology. Always remember they have the carrot, not you, They. The fact that ganking exists means the anti gankers association has to exist right. see where im going? The stubborn hauler who tries to do everything solo and listens to no one gets ganked means that a group of organised people get fed.

What if a people from the CCP design team have looked at your concerns and made a decision to keep it harsh for people who dont know to scout and not overload the freighter?

Could we look at another possible tactic? remote hull repair.? Anyone got any views on this? I know it seems costly on fitting powergrid and logistics because of the distance limit and no ships having bonuses for remote hull rep. If we analyse the series of events in a freight gank I'd like to highlight that the gank ships will all get killed by concord so perhaps the counter may lie in keeping the freighter alive until concord intervenes?

Fear no one, live life, be free, accept the truth, do not judge others, defend yourself, fight hard till the end, meditate on problems and be prosperous. Things to exist by. -- RAIN Arthie

Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#265 - 2016-12-23 03:51:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Aaron
Aaron wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:
[quote=Dracvlad]

YES.. overcoming bumping while flying a freighter is very difficult everyone agrees with that I am sure, or easy depending on if you scout and hold your position if you notice a bumpy macheriel.

You may have to consider that the game is purposely designed in this manner and no amount of complaining or going on strike will change it. You know as well as I do Drac there are people out the who don't listen to good sound advice and there is nothing you can do to get them to listen. The freighter gank gameplay is a part of space simulators, always has been, end of story.

If people took some time to understand the nature of eve and what they do within eve they would have a more cautious approach.

Drac please try to accept that the if one commits to overloading their freighter and not scouting before they jump then the game is designed so that people can come and kill you. It's the way the world works I'm afraid. This is one of the reasons I still love Eve. It's harsh, unforgiving and relentless. No game ever in my life has made me feel how Eve does.

At this point all you can really do is find a platform for you to spread your word, advising people of the safe way to do their hauling,

Drac, the game designers have us trumped on psychology. Always remember they have the carrot, not you, They. The fact that ganking exists means the anti gankers association has to exist right. see where im going? The stubborn hauler who tries to do everything solo and listens to no one gets ganked means that a group of organised people get fed. We are manipulated into these scenarios simply because of who we are or at least who we are within a virtual environment. For Example: I like being a rebel against the machine so CCP has designed the game so that people can create machines for me to fight against..

What if the CCP design team have looked at your concerns and made a decision to keep it harsh for people who dont know to scout and not overload the freighter?

Could we look at another possible tactic? remote hull repair.? Anyone got any views on this? I know it seems costly on fitting powergrid and logistics because of the distance limit and no ships having bonuses for remote hull rep. If we analyse the series of events in a freight gank I'd like to highlight that the gank ships will all get killed by concord so perhaps the counter may lie in keeping the freighter alive until concord intervenes?

Fear no one, live life, be free, accept the truth, do not judge others, defend yourself, fight hard till the end, meditate on problems and be prosperous. Things to exist by. -- RAIN Arthie

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#266 - 2016-12-23 07:41:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Aaron wrote:

Drac, the game designers have us trumped on psychology. Always remember they have the carrot, not you, They. The fact that ganking exists means the anti gankers association has to exist right. see where im going? The stubborn hauler who tries to do everything solo and listens to no one gets ganked means that a group of organised people get fed. We are manipulated into these scenarios simply because of who we are or at least who we are within a virtual environment. For Example: I like being a rebel against the machine so CCP has designed the game so that people can create machines for me to fight against..

What if the CCP design team have looked at your concerns and made a decision to keep it harsh for people who dont know to scout and not overload the freighter?

You should stop getting confused by the smokescreen that is always put up by Gankers and ganker aligned players, ganking is fine, period, the issue is the no consequence bumping of freighters in hisec, no they did not design to make it harsh for people hauling stuff they decided to make it very easy for gankers by enabling them to totally control the space. Did you see the OP say that if you stop bumping you stop ganking, I repeat are they that bad at Eve that they have to rely on bumping?

I have run stuff to Jita and back solo, and I have never been ganked, the basic premise is to know what you are doing and the first thing is to stop using freighters and use DST's and plan to move big stuff in bits it is not difficult, just like I stopped mining when all mining ships had the tank of a wet paper bag, people should stop being patsies. It is nothing like a strike, it is making a choice, the same as I make a choice to use a Skiff when I mine, I use a DST because it is better, I am currently working on an Impel fit with command links and high grade snakes that that lot will have no chance ganking, that is how I play, what I see is the balance tipped heavily in the gankers favour with this bumping which creates the environment for leisurely freighter ganking. Think of it this way, in sov space or in terms of Citadels you have to have people able to turn up to shoot the damn things at the time set by the defender, think about freighter ganking, a bumper can sit there and hold a freighter for hours while waiting for his friends to log on at their leisure. Does that really fit the harsh cold reality of Eve? Not in my book, if they want that damn kill they have to set up for it, not have it fall in their laps like that, but there it is easy stuff....

Anyway I have made my point in this troll thread about the issues of bumping, and that people like the OP see anyone saying that is an issue as being against ganking, it is rather funny.

I am trying to be nice here, but remote hull reppers are not the answer, because they are un-bonused, that means amount and range is less than any shield or armour repper, perhaps if CCP decided to create a bonused ORE hull repping ship, I can dream your suggestion would work. The best advice is for haulers who use freighters for reasons is to use an Obelisk or Providence with deadspace plating so that AG reppers can have more impact on negating the DPS, I sometimes turn up with two Guardians to rep a freighter, you should actually have a go at this rather than theorycraft without having tried it. Join the Anti-Ganking channel and get involved, it can be fun, see it as it really is then think about the strategic advantage that being able to totally control the space means for freighter gankers.

I keep an eye on the Hauler Channel and I have seen a number of people say that there are a less freighters in space, I notice a lot of people do max skilled DST contracts instead, there you go Aaron a strike, or choice. I have not really noticed it myself in space, as I have been mucking around my area and not paying attention to the pipes for the past two weeks, but I hope it is true...

So TLDR The ease of ganking caused by the bumping mechanic goes against what I see as a tough harsh game, simple really.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#267 - 2016-12-23 07:46:18 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Y...first thing is to stop using freighters and use DST's and plan to move big stuff in bits it is not difficult, just like I stopped mining when all mining ships had the tank of a wet paper bag, people should stop being patsies...

You seem to have a history of risk aversion and not in a good way, in a "I can't realistically assess risk" kind of way so you run from perceived danger.

Luckily there are many players with both the smarts and ability to haul effectively in freighters. Can't be everyone I guess. We can only know the good ones by identifying the poor ones too. They provide a good comparison.

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#268 - 2016-12-23 09:38:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Herzog Wolfhammer
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Perhaps a module that makes a ship immune to bumping for a time: ships will pass through it, and it will pass through anything. Has timer and all that other crap...

I wonder if the name of it would be a play on cziltang brone ?

(you'd think with all that other tech humans in 23000 years can come up with something like that)

Just to help total loser highsec lazy carebears, you'd screw lowsec, null and wormhole use of bumping.

You're a ******* genius. Not.

" loser highsec lazy carebears"

My, how you think of other players. Did your eyes flash with rage as you typed that? Or is this projecting? Remember what they say about the Special Olympics? You may be the winner of Eve, but you are still an Eve player. You are on the same short bus.

Whatever happened to you IRL that made you this way, I'm glad it never happened to me.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Salvos Rhoska
#269 - 2016-12-23 09:49:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Teckos Pech wrote:

What I find funny about this is the same thing could be said of a titan in bubbles. A bubbled titan could be kept there all damn day. Not much you can do except hope the rescue fleet succeeds.

The point is once the titan is bubbled...well it is kinda screwed.

Same thing with bumping. Once you are getting bumped...you are kind of screwed. The counter, like with the titan and bubbles is: don't end up in that situation.

Interesting comparison.

Bumping and bubbles are two different mechanics, although you do make a valid bridging argument on the point of both disabling warping, possibly indefinitely.

Is it possible to bump Titans out of alignment?
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#270 - 2016-12-23 09:56:52 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Perhaps a module that makes a ship immune to bumping for a time: ships will pass through it, and it will pass through anything. Has timer and all that other crap...

(you'd think with all that other tech humans in 23000 years can come up with something like that)

Just to help total loser highsec lazy carebears, you'd screw lowsec, null and wormhole use of bumping.

My, how you think of other players. Did your eyes flash with rage as you typed that? Or is this projecting? Remember what they say about the Special Olympics? You may be the winner of Eve, but you are still an Eve player. You are on the same short bus.

Whatever happened to you IRL that made you this way, I'm glad it never happened to me.

Why should CCP put a brand new module in the game to let players escape from being, as Dracvlad put it, "Bad"?

If you are being bumped chances are you did all of the following:

1. You put too much cargo, in ISK value, into your freighter.
2. You didn't have a scout.
3. You didn't have a webber.
4. You didn't have somebody who could gank the bumper if you don't have 2 & 3 or just to be triple damn sure.

And I bet you also did the following as well:

5. Didn't tank your ship.
6. Didn't look to see how many ships were killed in Uedama/Niarja before undocking.
7. Put cargo expanders on your freighter.

When you have screwed up that many times...yes, eventually something bad will happen to you in game and quite frankly you deserve it.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#271 - 2016-12-23 10:29:12 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

What I find funny about this is the same thing could be said of a titan in bubbles. A bubbled titan could be kept there all damn day. Not much you can do except hope the rescue fleet succeeds.

Same thing with bumping. Once you are getting bumped...you are kind of screwed. The counter, like with the titan and bubbles is: don't end up in that situation.

Interesting comparison.

Bumping and bubbles are two different mechanics, although you do make a valid bridging argument on the point of both disabling warping, possibly indefinitely.

There is a counter to bubbles, you blow up the ship putting up the bubbles and you do not get CONCORDED for doing that, is that the best he can come up with... ShockedRoll

And yes you can bump a titan out of alignment.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#272 - 2016-12-23 10:33:39 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Why should CCP put a brand new module in the game to let players escape from being, as Dracvlad put it, "Bad"?

4. You didn't have somebody who could gank the bumper if you don't have 2 & 3 or just to be triple damn sure.

6. Didn't look to see how many ships were killed in Uedama/Niarja before undocking.

When you have screwed up that many times...yes, eventually something bad will happen to you in game and quite frankly you deserve it.

I have not personally flown anything bigger than a battleship.

You are still centered on "being bumped". Proving Dracvlad right. BTW Dracvlad and I don't agree on everything, but he tends to be right more often about PVP and the only player I know who ever caught and killed an AFK cloaker.

He might be Chuck Norris.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#273 - 2016-12-23 10:41:17 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

I have not personally flown anything bigger than a battleship.

You are still centered on "being bumped". Proving Dracvlad right. BTW Dracvlad and I don't agree on everything, but he tends to be right more often about PVP and the only player I know who ever caught and killed an AFK cloaker.

He might be Chuck Norris.

The "you" is the generic "you". Roll

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#274 - 2016-12-23 11:42:10 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

Interesting comparison.

Yes, they also slingshot themselves if you cyno a lot of them together or warp them.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#275 - 2016-12-23 11:50:02 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Dracvlad wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

Interesting comparison.

There is a counter to bubbles, you blow up the ship putting up the bubbles and you do not get CONCORDED for doing that, is that the best he can come up with... ShockedRoll

Just bump the bumping ships and Web your freighter. Or get something fast out in the direction the freighter is being bumped and simply warp the freighter to the fast ship, web and moonwalk to freedom.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#276 - 2016-12-23 12:31:08 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

Usually your kind tells us that ganking is risk free, that should suit you. So just gank the bumper?
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#277 - 2016-12-23 12:50:18 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

Usually your kind tells us that ganking is risk free, that should suit you. So just gank the bumper?

Bumping is risk and consequence free, unless the highly skilled and brilliant Jennifer en Marland is around and then bumpers do go boom. Evil

But tell me, isn't that the same effort and skill as ganking the people who were ganking Freighter wrecks and instead of you lot doing what you just told me what to do you lot went crying to get the freighter wrecks EHP increased instead? Shocked

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#278 - 2016-12-23 12:55:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Shae Tadaruwa
Dracvlad wrote:
... you lot went crying to get the freighter wrecks EHP increased instead? Shocked

You still going with this lie?

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Salvos Rhoska
#279 - 2016-12-23 13:27:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Dracvlad wrote:
There is a counter to bubbles, you blow up the ship putting up the bubbles and you do not get CONCORDED for doing that ...

Right.

So the way Im reading this thread, and trying to boil it down, I find:

We can ascertain that the three mechanisms for purposes of preventing warp by a target, as bubbles, scrams and bumping, are tiered and fundamentally differentiated by over-reaching characteristics of sector security:

-In NS/WH, all three are applicable without mechanic prevention/restriction.
-In LS, warp scramming and bumping are possible. The former restricted by gate/station guns.
-In HS, warp scramming is death by Concord, sec status loss. Bumping is possible

We can thus conclude that bumping is a lowest common denominator universal mechanic for preventing targets warp, throughout EVE. This is a very strong argument for the existence of bumping.

1) It would be irrational to disallow bumping in NS/WH, as these sectors are characterized by open, unrestricted aggression (for the large part). 3/3 options.

2) It would be irrational to disallow bumping in LS, as bubbles are already disallowed, and scramming on an illegal target incurs station/gate gun reaction.2/3 options.

3) It would be even more irrational to disallow bumping in HS, as bubbles are already disallowed, and scramming on an illegal target ALWAYS results in CONCORDOKKEN and sec loss. Meaning bumping is the sole remaining option to prevent target warp. 1/3 options.

Now that we have tabled and established that bumping is a universal lowest common denominator for warp prevention, and that sector mechanics restrict/penalize use of the other options categorically, we can forego any more discussion on whether bumping should be removed or made illegal as an ingame act.

It should not.

That leaves use with the mechanics of bumping, itself.

I personally find indefinite bumping a silly thing, and argue from that premise.

My proposals are to change bump physics along the lines of these options:

-A) The bumping physics model is adjusted/flattened, such that the target is not pushed as far away as currently, so that the bumper does not as easily have sufficient distance to accelerate their mass for sufficient velocity to bump the target as far again on subsequent attempts.

-B) Change bump physics, such that they shave a part off the targets existing % to warp, as proportional to the mass/velocity of the impacting ship against stats of its target, rather than an automatic misalignment.

-C) That the closer a target is to achieving warp, the greater their mass is in relation to impacting objects (insert warp field theory here, that a target approaching space/time warpage has exponentially increasing mass in relation to space outside it), as a result of which that targets becoming increasingly difficult to bump out of alignment, the closer they are to achieving warp in relation to the bumpers own mass/velocity on impact.

Multiple ships, and a single one with sufficient fit in terms of mass/velocity/acceleration, will still be able to bump the target repeatedly, in sequence, out of achieving successful warp, in each of the above, provided they have enough mass/velocity to do so.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#280 - 2016-12-23 14:03:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
There is a counter to bubbles, you blow up the ship putting up the bubbles and you do not get CONCORDED for doing that ...

Right.

So the way Im reading this thread, and trying to boil it down, I find:

We can ascertain that the three mechanisms for purposes of preventing warp by a target, as bubbles, scrams and bumping, are tiered and fundamentally differentiated by over-reaching characteristics of sector security:

-In NS/WH, all three are applicable without mechanic prevention/restriction.
-In LS, warp scramming and bumping are possible. The former restricted by gate/station guns.
-In HS, warp scramming is death by Concord, sec status loss. Bumping is possible

We can thus conclude that bumping is a lowest common denominator universal mechanic for preventing targets warp, throughout EVE. This is a very strong argument for the existence of bumping.

1) It would be irrational to disallow bumping in NS/WH, as these sectors are characterized by open, unrestricted aggression (for the large part). 3/3 options.

2) It would be irrational to disallow bumping in LS, as bubbles are already disallowed, and scramming on an illegal target incurs station/gate gun reaction.2/3 options.

3) It would be even more irrational to disallow bumping in HS, as bubbles are already disallowed, and scramming on an illegal target ALWAYS results in CONCORDOKKEN and sec loss. Meaning bumping is the sole remaining option to prevent target warp. 1/3 options.

Now that we have tabled and established that bumping is a universal lowest common denominator for warp prevention, and that sector mechanics restrict/penalize use of the other options categorically, we can forego any more discussion on whether bumping should be removed or made illegal as an ingame act. It should not.

That leaves use with the mechanics of bumping, itself.

I personally find indefinite bumping a silly thing.

My proposals are to change bump physics from one of these options:
-The bumping physics model is adjusted, such that the target is not pushed as far away as currently, so that the bumper does not as easily have sufficient distance to accelerate their mass for sufficient velocity to bump the target as far again on subsequent attempts.
-Change bump physics, such that they shave a part off the targets existing %to warp, as proportional to the mass/velocity of the impacting ship to the target.
-That the closer a target is to achieving warp, the greater their mass is in relation to impacting objects, as a result of which is that targets becoming increasingly difficult to bump out of alignment, the closer they are to achieving warp in relation to their own mass.

Multiple ships will still be able to bump the target repeatedly, in sequence, out of alignment, in each of the above, provided they have enough mass/velocity to do so.

I like where you are going with this, a couple of things to bear in mind.

Titans and Supers no longer have immunity to disruptors and scams, but now have a bonus to warp core strength that could negate the need for bumping as a way to hold them for a HIC or DIC to get on them. Carriers and dreads can fit heavy points, therefore the need for bumping in null and elsewhere has reduced significantly.

In hisec you are only CONCORDED if you scram someone as a criminal act, in other words attacked them without declaring war by bribing CONCORD. Hisec is where the Empires seek to control conflict, people are merely avoiding war decs, however I do see the issue of freighters running around with impunity in NPC corps, but surely people can suicide scram those ships and then get the gank fleet on them at a gate, yeah it is hard, but doable and creates a more dynamic game with more interesting counter play.

So for me the question of whether one can remove bumping is still open, part of me thinks that CCP did that in terms of immunity as a precursor to remove bumping, I hope so.

You suggestions are interesting, other people have put those idea forward too in the past, something better than what we have currently.