These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Keepstar Destroyed in M-OEE8 in the Largest Battle in EVE Online

Author
Alan Greenspud
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2016-12-15 17:36:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Alan Greenspud
I think it's odd CCP didn't open up this post for discussion, so to save them the time to fix their many other mistakes I figured I'd create the post for them.

Please everyone share your experience of this battle because CCP needs to know what it's really like for its players either good or bad please share with the community and CCP.

Thanks,

AG.
Paranoid Loyd
#2 - 2016-12-15 17:59:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
We discussed it, there isn't much to talk about.

Defenders were overwhelmed and left. Structure was ground, the end.

The technology to make something like this actually fun simply does not exist and if it did, the vast majority of us wouldn't be able to afford it.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#3 - 2016-12-15 18:18:52 UTC
I knew it would be a fight in TiDi. I also knew Otay be difficult to get there late, but it fit my currently limited playstyle as well. So... With bomber and permission from Baby Momma/It's complicated, to have the time off from parental duties for the start of the fight, I set off early.

By Monday I was in system, setting up various bookmarks. I could start flying away from The keepstar, read a few books to my daughter, bookmark after I was done to get several escape points and still be good. So by Wednesday I was ready to go.

By Saturday, I was in a good spot. I logged in early, made sure my graphic settings were low and the brackets were turned off. I earpped to grid. I was there when the fighting started and local peeled around 5300. Given other null battles I attended either in a real fleet or as a solo bomber just trying to cause problems, the M-O fight was impressive. Yes things were slow but things worked. I found warping to be far easier to get in place instead of flying while cloaked. I also learned how to time my bombing run in such TiDi. I launched a few from my bomber before being caught and killed... Well... I lost my ship but the pod escaped. I then warped to a safe in system and self destructed to get home easily. I figured I would miss the killmail as I Did not attack the keepstar directly.

Fast forward several hours, after making dinner and spending time with my daughter, I put her to bed. I was in Amarr, so grabbed a new bomber and headed over by way of Taisy. I figured at best I would die in the way, but at least I could say I tried. Luck and a lack of a my major camps made the trip quick. I managed to get back on grid (having a 12k km off keepstar was great!). I managed to drop 6 more bombs that evening, including one in the keepstar and a few after the dust had settled. I made the killmail, probably did little else in the actual battle and successfully bombed a rookie ship into oblivion which isn't much, but made me happy. I even made it back to Amarr in that 2nd bomber.

Over all, it was fun and what I expected. TiDi isn't pleasant but sure beats the previous sysyem. I got to drop bombs, which I enjoy, and had a decent evening. Plus I can say I was there.

Would I to it again.... May be. Depends on free time and if there would be a real fight next time. However considering there were so e 5300 people in one system, it was worth seeing at least once. Perhaps come next time I'll be back in a Corp and be able to be in comms for more fun but it worked for me in general.
Salvos Rhoska
#4 - 2016-12-15 19:24:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
Fast forward several hours, after making dinner and spending time with my daughter, I put her to bed. I was in Amarr, so grabbed a new bomber

When a parent can fight, explode, cook dinner, spend time with their kid, put them to bed, and return to the fight, thats a pretty strong argument in favor of TIDI.

Id never join such a fight myself, even as a bachelor with no kids or obligations, but I think its great that TIDI allows those that do to participate if they want to. Ofc some other specific roles may not be as vulnerable or expendable as Ayeispia's bomber and the fleet effort relies on them to remain.
NofriendNoLifeStilPostin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5 - 2016-12-15 20:46:17 UTC  |  Edited by: NofriendNoLifeStilPostin
The awful design of this game keeps making itself apparent, and kool-aid drinkers continue to make excuses instead of recognizing that it is indeed crap gameplay.

no wonder they are trying to sell this sinking ship. Incompetence permeates the highest offices at CCP and the forum dwelling troglodytes are incapable of seeing the game any different than the steaming pile of **** that is served to them.
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#6 - 2016-12-15 20:56:33 UTC
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
I knew it would be a fight in TiDi. I also knew Otay be difficult to get there late, but it fit my currently limited playstyle as well. So... With bomber and permission from Baby Momma/It's complicated, to have the time off from parental duties for the start of the fight, I set off early.

By Monday I was in system, setting up various bookmarks. I could start flying away from The keepstar, read a few books to my daughter, bookmark after I was done to get several escape points and still be good. So by Wednesday I was ready to go.

By Saturday, I was in a good spot. I logged in early, made sure my graphic settings were low and the brackets were turned off. I earpped to grid. I was there when the fighting started and local peeled around 5300. Given other null battles I attended either in a real fleet or as a solo bomber just trying to cause problems, the M-O fight was impressive. Yes things were slow but things worked. I found warping to be far easier to get in place instead of flying while cloaked. I also learned how to time my bombing run in such TiDi. I launched a few from my bomber before being caught and killed... Well... I lost my ship but the pod escaped. I then warped to a safe in system and self destructed to get home easily. I figured I would miss the killmail as I Did not attack the keepstar directly.

Fast forward several hours, after making dinner and spending time with my daughter, I put her to bed. I was in Amarr, so grabbed a new bomber and headed over by way of Taisy. I figured at best I would die in the way, but at least I could say I tried. Luck and a lack of a my major camps made the trip quick. I managed to get back on grid (having a 12k km off keepstar was great!). I managed to drop 6 more bombs that evening, including one in the keepstar and a few after the dust had settled. I made the killmail, probably did little else in the actual battle and successfully bombed a rookie ship into oblivion which isn't much, but made me happy. I even made it back to Amarr in that 2nd bomber.

Over all, it was fun and what I expected. TiDi isn't pleasant but sure beats the previous sysyem. I got to drop bombs, which I enjoy, and had a decent evening. Plus I can say I was there.

Would I to it again.... May be. Depends on free time and if there would be a real fight next time. However considering there were so e 5300 people in one system, it was worth seeing at least once. Perhaps come next time I'll be back in a Corp and be able to be in comms for more fun but it worked for me in general.

Mostly agree with this.

The actual play was miserable, but we all knew it would be. Overall, it was still okay. Bullshit on comms while putting up holiday decorations, whatever. I would have enjoyed it more had I not been flying logi, as bomb-damage whack-a-mole in beyond-max-tidi is really aggravating.

It's probably not something I would opt into again, and wouldn't have opted into this time, were it not for the incessant MAX DUDES NEEDED!!11! pings from alliance and coalition leadership.

Hopefully at least some portion of this came down to the novelty of it being a first, and future engagements will be a little less zergy.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Another Posting Alt
Zerious Fricken Biziness
#7 - 2016-12-15 22:04:44 UTC
NofriendNoLifeStilPostin wrote:
The awful design of this game keeps making itself apparent, and kool-aid drinkers continue to make excuses instead of recognizing that it is indeed crap gameplay.

Thankyou for your constructive post.
Due to the obvious benefit to EVE and the world in general, every one of your brilliantly insightful solutions to these issues have already been implemented, ready for the next patch.
I'm sure your Nobel Prizes for literature and engineering are already in the mail.
2Sonas1Cup
#8 - 2016-12-15 22:37:17 UTC
I don't know, I pressed f1 and went to sleep.
radkid10
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2016-12-15 22:40:00 UTC
circle of pussies

they should have went down with the ship
Vigirr
#10 - 2016-12-15 22:44:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Vigirr
"Hey guys, I hear there's a party over there with tons of people and lots of fun!".
"Damnit, this party is way too crowded, I can't even move or get any drinks. Why can't other people just leave so I have some more room" said everyone, not realising they're part of the reason it's so crowded.

top tip: if you don't like busy parties and all the downsides that stem from those, don't go there. If you did go there what the hell did you expect would happen?
Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#11 - 2016-12-15 23:53:56 UTC
radkid10 wrote:
circle of pussies

Why? They were losing a keepstar already, why lose a fleet or two as well? Just so their enemies get content? That seems foolish. Better to do something their members will enjoy. I thought they found a good fight killing supers elsewhere.
Esrevid Nekkeg
Justified and Ancient
#12 - 2016-12-16 00:03:12 UTC
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
... With bomber and permission from Baby Momma/It's complicated, ...
Ah, the hardships of a gaming parent. Trust me, I can relate. I have done battle with a sleeping baby in my arms.Big smile

Glad you had fun. Smile

Here I used to have a sig of our old Camper in space. Now it is disregarded as being the wrong format. Looking out the window I see one thing: Nothing wrong with the format of our Camper! Silly CCP......

TackyTachy1
Doomheim
#13 - 2016-12-16 01:11:38 UTC
Kinda like going to war, riding my bike coast to coast, driving a big truck to Alaska and leaving Her @ the altar: Gotta do it at least once, but probably not twice.

And hell, I never even fired a shot, me in a Nemesis with a full load out of torpedoes. Too busy staying out of peoples way and capturing video. And one of these days maybe even figure out what to do with all that video.

Forum Rep for a bunch of characters, couple corps and one seriously Lost In Space multiboxer.

Ravien Darkstarr
New Eden Film Society
#14 - 2016-12-16 03:33:17 UTC
NofriendNoLifeStilPostin wrote:

no wonder they are trying to sell this sinking ship. Incompetence permeates the highest offices at CCP and the forum dwelling troglodytes are incapable of seeing the game any different than the steaming pile of **** that is served to them.

You know, I have seen quite a few comments like these regarding this particular battle, especially on their Facebook page. I really don't get it. I've tried understanding the thought process behind comments like these but I just don't get it. It's not like the game was lagging because there were 50 people in system. There were at times 5,000 people in system. Lag is to be expected no matter the game.
Tidi did its job by allowing the servers to run and for things to happen in more or less the right order. People who showed up knew to expect max tidi and client and server lag. Personally I was thankful my PC held up, even if barely.
But seriously, to use a successfully completed battle that involved several thousand players as an example of the "failings" of a game is just absurd. CCP reinforced the node. People showed up. Tidi kicked in. They shot a Keepstar. The Keepstar died. Everyone went home.
I don't know what some people's expectations are. Do you seriously want a game that can deliver a 5,000 player battle in real time with EVE's graphics and complexity with no tidi and have it be lag free? If that is your expectation then you're probably going to be waiting for quantum computers and a major overhaul of the worldwide internet.

Casual maker of EVE Online (and other) game videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cYAJAR3TRG4A9MtXfgXIA

Judaa K'Marr
Shadow Legions.
#15 - 2016-12-16 05:20:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Judaa K'Marr
The problem was not the tidi, which is expected, it the stupid damage cap mechanics which strung the fight out for an unnecessarily long time.

Under the old system once it became apparent a fight was not occurring, supers would be dropped to speed up the structure bash, in keeping with risk reward philosophy of eve (more risk on field, reward being the quicker kill).

Damage cap means player choices like this is curtailed, since the supers are redundant when the cap is already being reached.

It quite funny since damage caps were designed to prevent blobbing, but as we see, the biggest blob in the entire history of the game came for this. The theory didn't work since people still happily turn up to do 0 damage. The cap multiplied by time creates a de facto HP on the citadel, so essentially it is dominion again, but now with less choice and fewer options due to obsession with "muh small gang". In fact for this fight their original idea of entosing citadels would have been better.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2016-12-16 05:21:02 UTC
I didn't even visit that system for final timer. Wasting time with TiDi and for what? To get a chance to whore with 0% damage to citadel which was already dead once NCPL decided they will kill it? Shocked

I rather have real kills and losses in my KB, thanks (not that i care much about it) and spend my time having fun

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Sugar Smacks
State War Academy
Caldari State
#17 - 2016-12-16 09:01:23 UTC
The streamer I watched had their final explosion of the keepstar glitch out and there was no final explosion.
That didn't sell EvE to the masses watching.
erg cz
Blood Blind
Short Bus Syndicate
#18 - 2016-12-16 09:02:56 UTC
March rabbit wrote:
I didn't even visit that system for final timer. Wasting time with TiDi and for what? To get a chance to whore with 0% damage to citadel which was already dead once NCPL decided they will kill it? Shocked

I rather have real kills and losses in my KB, thanks (not that i care much about it) and spend my time having fun

Thats. And I think the largest battle was siege of Aivonen with 10000 ships killed and no TiDi step by step strategic game like the masacre of undefended Keepstar. You can not seriosly call largest battle ganking of some defenseless freighter, why you call that bush the 'battle'? Everyone, who whored on that kill, showed no courage above CODE. level and CODE. are childish freaks, who kill defenseless ships to fix their RL misarble self esteem. Can't you be better than this?
Ravien Darkstarr
New Eden Film Society
#19 - 2016-12-16 10:18:30 UTC
It was a first for the game, a widely advertised vulnerability window where everyone was going to show up. Don't think that it will be the norm as far as killing Keepstars go. The damage cap is in there for a reason, to at least give the defenders *some* time to defend their investment. A battle of several thousand players at 10% tidi is going to last several hours anyway because it turns 30 minutes of game time into 5 hours of real time. Your problem IS with tidi as without it the Keepstar would die in 30 minutes.
Actually, no. Your problem is with massive battles of thousands of players which then cause tidi. No one is forcing you to show up to those fights.

And yes, the explosion glitched and that sucked. Mine showed up about 5-10 minutes after the Keepstar had already been destroyed. I guess CCP didn't have 5,000 people to test these things beforehand.

My point is, everything you're complaining about is normally expected out of battles of these sizes. The example of going to a super packed party then complaining that there's no room is apt.

Casual maker of EVE Online (and other) game videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cYAJAR3TRG4A9MtXfgXIA

Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2016-12-16 12:18:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Lan Wang
radkid10 wrote:
circle of pussies

LOL you're masters lost one very recently, where were you when that keepstar went down?

Edit: around a day after panfam destroyed co2's keepstar, an alt corp of pl tried to anchor a keepstar....it was killed in like 30mins with a no resistance from panfam.

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

12Next page