These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Why no Ancillary Hull Reppers?

Author
Kw1jybo
Sunny Weather Mercenaries
The Initiative.
#1 - 2016-12-15 20:28:45 UTC
There's shield...there's armor....no hull? Cry
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#2 - 2016-12-15 20:33:47 UTC
Hull repair modules are a CCP joke.

Compare the stats on a hull repair module with those of its shield or armour counterpart and you'll see that they're basically useless.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Chronixx Thiesant
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#3 - 2016-12-15 20:46:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Chronixx Thiesant
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Discrimination isn't cool CCP. Hull tanking deserves to be just as vaiable as other tanks, if a little riskier.
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#4 - 2016-12-15 21:19:11 UTC
Chronixx Thiesant wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Discrimination isn't cool CCP. Hull tanking deserves to be just as vaiable as other tanks, if a little riskier.

CCP is on record (somewhere, long ago, can't be arsed to dig up the posts) stating that hull reppers are meant to be used only as an alternative to paying for hull repairs, not as a combat tank.

If you're hull tanking, you're buffer tanking.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Scarlett LaBlanc
Rational Chaos Inc.
Brave Collective
#5 - 2016-12-15 21:22:23 UTC
And now with the repping done by tethering, they are almost completely useless.
Scotsman Howard
S0utherN Comfort
#6 - 2016-12-15 21:25:26 UTC
Kw1jybo wrote:

CCP does not want active hull tanking to be a thing, and it kind of makes sense.

If they made it viable, technically all a hull tank would need is two mods (damage control and a repper) because the resists would be consistent accross the board. If you made remote hull reps as effective as normal remote reps, it would be a big deal because your tank would either be the same with fewer mods or greater if you used the same number.

Things would get even more interesting when you consider hull rigs do not have any significant drawbacks (I think all they affect is cargo capacity).

Before citadels, the only things hull reppers were mostly used for was remote rep POSs and rep hull in WHs. With citadels, both of these are kind of going away.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#7 - 2016-12-15 23:03:44 UTC
Chronixx Thiesant wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Hull tanking is viable and has been for some time now.
Just not active hull tanking, that's still stupid.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2016-12-15 23:03:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
As an avid hull-tanker myself, if you want reps, put an armour repairer on your hull buffer. It works. I've been doing it with the Enyo since before it was a thing on the Hecate, and a few other ships. It's very effective.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Esrevid Nekkeg
Justified and Ancient
#9 - 2016-12-16 00:09:30 UTC
Imho the only thing a hull rep is good for is repairing hull damage in Wormhole space.

Here I used to have a sig of our old Camper in space. Now it is disregarded as being the wrong format. Looking out the window I see one thing: Nothing wrong with the format of our Camper! Silly CCP......

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#10 - 2016-12-16 02:18:15 UTC
Kw1jybo wrote:

CCP hates Gallente.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Valkin Mordirc
#11 - 2016-12-16 06:51:07 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Kw1jybo wrote:

CCP hates Gallente.

I understand that this is pretty much a joke thread. But that is sarcasm yeah?
#DeleteTheWeak
Alasdan Helminthauge
AirHogs
Hogs Collective
#12 - 2016-12-16 07:25:21 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Kw1jybo wrote:

CCP hates Gallente.

I think if there's really a race to specialize in hull tank, it should be Minmatar, because people always give me a diehard impression of them.
Yarosara Ruil
#13 - 2016-12-16 08:05:31 UTC
Hull tanking is a lot like fighting in a boxing match and block puches with your face.

It messes you up on the head!
Demonspawn 666
State War Academy
Caldari State
#14 - 2016-12-16 08:15:16 UTC
I want a decent hull repper to make my hull tanked brutix even more awesome Cool

The Dirty Rejects are recruiting!
Come play with me...... I like being played with!

TDR Recruitment

Memphis Baas
#15 - 2016-12-16 10:47:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Compare the stats on a hull repair module with those of its shield or armour counterpart and you'll see that they're basically useless.

If they introduce an ancillary hull rep and make sure they "fine-tune" how much nanite paste it consumes, the joke can continue.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2016-12-16 10:59:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Yarosara Ruil wrote:
Hull tanking is a lot like fighting in a boxing match and block puches with your face.

It messes you up on the head!

If you do it properly, with the right ships, hull tanking is very effective. If you're engaged with an enemy, and they rip through your shields, and then your armour, and they're sitting there smiling, thinking this is going to be easy, it puts them on the back foot when they suddenly realise they have a lot more work to do than they thought. It really does. You can completely throw off someone's confidence by hull tanking. Not only that, but my hull-tanked Thorax gets almost 700dps heated (drones included) with 24K EHP, and can move at 2km/s+ with enough mids left for scram and dual web, cap booster need not apply. And that's just a Thorax. If you've never seen a Brutix hull tank, then you ain't seen nothin' yet.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#17 - 2016-12-16 13:14:31 UTC
Speed tanking is a viable option, yet we have no Ancillary MWD or Afterburners. It is a part of the whole variety is the spice of life thing.
Tanuki Kittybeta
Ripperoni in Pepperoni
#18 - 2016-12-16 17:45:09 UTC
hull tanking is beastly
Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#19 - 2016-12-16 18:17:26 UTC
real men hull tank
Othran
Route One
#20 - 2016-12-17 15:15:23 UTC
Scotsman Howard wrote:

If they made it viable, technically all a hull tank would need is two mods (damage control and a repper) because the resists would be consistent accross the board.

Which is exactly the way to used to work 10+ years ago with the result that everyone hull-tanked as you could use the other mids/lows for damage/tackle/ewar.

It go so bad that you could setup a ratting laser ship, find a dead-end null system, get the chain going and go AFK for hours. Zero risk, minimal cost & it could often double as a PvP ship at a push.

In PvP fleets everyone & their dog was flying Amarr BSs so all those empty lows got filled with damage/tackling mods. If not Amarr then it'd be megathrons so the same applied.

I was never entirely sure whether it was everyone hull-tanking or people AFK ratting which prompted CCPs nerf of hull repairers, they never showed much interest in imbalances back then so I reckon it was the isk....
12Next page