These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Alpha usefulness for old players

Author
Zao Elongur
Porphyr Empire
#1 - 2016-12-11 18:12:49 UTC
Hello everyone

I just logged in after a very long time and i am abit confused about the Α+Ω clones things.

Most importantly i can't seem to understand what their game play usefulness is for older players...
If i upgrade the account and train it to use CYNO, why won't i be able to use it after it goes back from Ω to A?

Eve is turning "free to play" and i am still required to have two paid accounts just so i can fly a capital properly? :S
Salvos Rhoska
#2 - 2016-12-11 18:15:24 UTC
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#3 - 2016-12-11 18:25:23 UTC
Zao Elongur wrote:
Most importantly i can't seem to understand what their game play usefulness is for older players...
If i upgrade the account and train it to use CYNO, why won't i be able to use it after it goes back from Ω to A?

Because Alphas only have access to a limited array of skills to prevent exactly what you are trying to do; have a free cyno alt.

Oh yeah... and you can't log in an Alpha and Omega account at the same time... so no free scouting for you either.

Zao Elongur wrote:
Eve is turning "free to play" and i am still required to have two paid accounts just so i can fly a capital properly? :S

Alpha accounts are more of an "Indefinite Trial." Nothing more.

Also... you do know that you Capital ships can use stargates now... right? You do not require a cyno to get around.
Zao Elongur
Porphyr Empire
#4 - 2016-12-11 18:43:34 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Zao Elongur wrote:

Because Alphas only have access to a limited array of skills to prevent exactly what you are trying to do; have a free cyno alt.

Oh yeah... and you can't log in an Alpha and Omega account at the same time... so no free scouting for you either.

Zao Elongur wrote:

Alpha accounts are more of an "Indefinite Trial." Nothing more.

Also... you do know that you Capital ships can use stargates now... right? You do not require a cyno to get around.

So practically beyond having more weaklings to kill and some higher industrial activity in high sec, alphas are abit pointless and irrelevant to older players.

And well, yes i do want a free cyno alt. I hate having multiple accounts and multiple chars since the time i was playing wow.
the logistics of one char is enough already lol
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#5 - 2016-12-11 18:59:35 UTC
Zao Elongur wrote:
So practically beyond having more weaklings to kill and some higher industrial activity in high sec, alphas are abit pointless and irrelevant to older players.

Being "pointless" to an established player was one of the design points behind Alphas, yes.
Otherwise, you would have a situation where every player in the game would feel the need to have an Alpha account.

The point behind Alphas is to give actual new players a longer opportunity to "taste" EVE while also encouraging them to sign up for a subscription.

That said... even a small group of Alphas, when properly organized, has the potential to be quite lethal.

Zao Elongur wrote:
And well, yes i do want a free cyno alt. I hate having multiple accounts and multiple chars since the time i was playing wow.
the logistics of one char is enough already lol

Sooooooo... why don't you stick to one account and organize with other, actual players to make your life easier?

I have done so. It can get a little tedious, but it gives me peace of mind.
Salvos Rhoska
#6 - 2016-12-11 19:17:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Why are we wasting time on a carrier capable player, who cant even do his own homework to figure out the difference between Alpha/Omega.

Im against giving this guy the time of day, let alone tips on how to utilize alphas.
Rin Vocaloid2
DUST University
#7 - 2016-12-12 02:19:50 UTC
Zao Elongur wrote:
Hello everyone

They are not suppose to have any other benefits for the veteran players beyond just having a fall-back clone in case they are too cash strapped for the subscription or if they just want to try out the new-player experience.

What you are trying to achieve with a cyno alt using an alpha clone is precisely what CCP is trying to avoid in the first place. CCP made NO attempt at hiding that fact. It was clear from the very beginning (at least a month before the update was released) that veterans were not suppose to have this kind of advantage using alpha clones. Otherwise it would become a broken mechanic and balance issues would arise.

If you want a free cyno alt, tough luck buttercup.
Antheria
Zunnta Corporation
League 0f Grumpy 0ld Farts
#8 - 2016-12-12 02:32:35 UTC
EvE is not becoming "free to play" - at least not at this point of time

The whole purpose of Alpha clones is to encourage new players to try the game out & hopefully they will upgrade their account to Omega level, thereby creating improving CCP's income.

I suggest that you read up on what Alpha clones can & can't do (especially logging in at the same time as a person's Omega clone), so as to avoid a EULA infringement & possibly the ban hammer.
Remiel Pollard
Shock Treatment Ministries
#9 - 2016-12-12 02:40:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Zao Elongur wrote:

No, you are not required to have two accounts to fly a capital properly. You can also make friends.

Alpha's are not intended to be useful for anyone. They are intended to allow players to experience EVE for the first time without commitment, and also to allow older players to return on a more casual basis if they want to.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Kosomot
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2016-12-12 03:18:54 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Why are we wasting time on a carrier capable player, who cant even do his own homework to figure out the difference between Alpha/Omega.

Im against giving this guy the time of day, let alone tips on how to utilize alphas.

+1 because you remind me of why i love eve.

Learn 2 read before you ask a question.

*high five* sir

I am a miner, mission runner, and explorer...

or as EVE Online would have it...

A Carebear!!

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#11 - 2016-12-12 08:03:21 UTC
It is not free2play

it is free2whine about paywalls
Akrasjel Lanate
Lanate Industries
#12 - 2016-12-12 14:01:52 UTC
Zao Elongur wrote:
Hello everyone

I just logged in after a very long time and i am abit confused about the Α+Ω clones things.

Nothing changed only the trial works a bit different than in the past

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#13 - 2016-12-12 14:25:39 UTC
Capital ships are intended to be flown in fleets. Make friends if you don't want to pay for a second account. Why should you get a cyno alt for free?
mkint
#14 - 2016-12-12 16:27:36 UTC
This is the kind of guy who buys a character, isn't it. The kind of guy who saw an ad with a capital ship and thought "I want to be the best" so just spent the $ without knowing what he's getting into, isn't he. The kind of guy who blows all his $ on something he doesn't understand and then is pissed because he didn't realize now he has to buy a cyno alt because he hasn't bothered learning how to put skills in the queue, isn't he. The kind of guy who then comes to the forums to complain that the cyno/scout/industry alt isn't free.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Bjorn Tyrson
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#15 - 2016-12-12 17:54:01 UTC
Gonna let you in on a little secret OP. You don't actually need a cyno alt to use your capital.
Here's the trick. Make friends.... yeah I know it's weird in an mmo but hear me out. You make a friend who has a cyno alt and get them to light it for you. Shoot them some isk for their time and everything is golden or train to use cynos on your main and return the favor.

If making friends is too scary or hard for you. You can still use stargates. Or you can keep paying for your own alt... there are many options available to you.
Rin Vocaloid2
DUST University
#16 - 2016-12-13 01:45:59 UTC
Bjorn Tyrson wrote:
Gonna let you in on a little secret OP. You don't actually need a cyno alt to use your capital.
Here's the trick. Make friends.... yeah I know it's weird in an mmo but hear me out. You make a friend who has a cyno alt and get them to light it for you. Shoot them some isk for their time and everything is golden or train to use cynos on your main and return the favor.

If making friends is too scary or hard for you. You can still use stargates. Or you can keep paying for your own alt... there are many options available to you.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by the Ivy League.
SurrenderMonkey
Space Llama Industries
#17 - 2016-12-13 02:02:16 UTC
You're telling me I can try a tiny little dab of all the different ice cream flavors in the shop, but I have to pony up some cash if I want to gorge myself into a diabetic coma on two triple-scoop waffle cones?

The hell kind of world are we living in...

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

PopeUrban
El Expedicion
Flames of Exile
#18 - 2016-12-13 03:40:20 UTC
Surely if you can afford to run around by yourself in capital ships you can afford to plex your cyno alt.

Alphas don't exist to be utility alts for existing players. They exist so that new players or broke players have an ability to play EVE in a limited fashion casually, evaluate the game without a time limit, or have an avenue to earn themselves a PLEX.

They're specifically designed so you can't use them as a cyno alt, cloaky intel alt, or other kind of alt that's actually useful to multibox because they're not allowed to multibox in the first place.
Zao Elongur
Porphyr Empire
#19 - 2016-12-13 20:04:32 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

The point behind Alphas is to give actual new players a longer opportunity to "taste" EVE while also encouraging them to sign up for a subscription.

Ok, i understand now that alphas are perma trial accounts, thank you :)

ShahFluffers wrote:
Sooooooo... why don't you stick to one account and organize with other, actual players to make your life easier?

I have done so. It can get a little tedious, but it gives me peace of mind.

My experience tells me that while your logic is sound, in practice things are a bit different.
While i never flew a cap, i spend most of my time in a pvp corp that happened to have plenty of caps and a few supers. I rarely remember people asking for a cyno.
The reason is that most people who flew caps had second accounts anyway because back then carriers etc could not use gates.
Ironically, even if someone would ask for a cyno, chances are that it would be lit by an alt because the main would be busy anyway.

I only started considering caps after i started maxing out many of my roles related skills :P
I never liked the idea of having to depend on other actual players or that cyno means paying a full second subscription.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#20 - 2016-12-13 20:44:34 UTC
I have a PvP Alpha character. Having a blast.

I also have 5 annually subscribed accounts.

The Alpha is my "I don't care about anything, I just want to have fun" account.
12Next page