These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

ABILITY TO CHANGE GENDERS

Author
AlexHalstead
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2016-12-05 17:13:32 UTC
Lore wise it isn't that HARD to do because we are all CLONES in EVE. Swapping one body for a different clone body providing its brain morphology is same.
PopeUrban
El Expedicion
Flames of Exile
#22 - 2016-12-05 23:37:29 UTC
I don't see a reason this shouldn't be part of the resculpt item in the NEX already.

After all, character gender has literally zero gameplay effects outside of determining which space clothes you can use.

Might sell more resculpts that way.
Stevn Thomas
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2016-12-06 02:14:52 UTC
PopeUrban wrote:
I don't see a reason this shouldn't be part of the resculpt item in the NEX already.

After all, character gender has literally zero gameplay effects outside of determining which space clothes you can use.

One of my friends would be doing it every freaking day if they could.

Iracham
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2016-12-09 04:53:15 UTC
Since I've spent the last year doing it IRL, I'd love to be able to do it here too, the cost of a resculpt would be fine IMO. (No, I'm not going to re-create a nearly 11 year old character with a history.)

Although, I don't care one way or the other about a name change (in-game that is; I am changing my name IRL). I didn't know I was trans when I started playing EVE 11 years ago or I could've really saved myself the hassle and just made a female avatar. Although, my original portrait was a lot more effeminate, so if nothing else I kinda miss the long men's hair styles too.

Plus, my friends wouldn't have to keep listening to me keep complaining about it. Smile
Lugh Crow-Slave
#25 - 2016-12-09 05:38:15 UTC
PopeUrban wrote:

to lazy to re-type
PopeUrban
El Expedicion
Flames of Exile
#26 - 2016-12-09 09:20:25 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
PopeUrban wrote:

to lazy to re-type

Yet they already sell resculpts. Your point is invalidated for this reason.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#27 - 2016-12-09 13:10:33 UTC
Mrs Always Right wrote:
Brigadine Ferathine wrote:
Mrs Always Right wrote:
Recently my post in "General Discussions" asking the community about their opinions on this was shut down because it was "disruptive in nature" and "provoked players". Completely lost and confused about the new "definition" on trolling, I come here and ask all of you that we request an ability to change genders.

Many are saying I'm doing this because I'm a troller but no, I simply do this because I want to change one of my characters' gender to male. That should not be considered an outlandish request? Considering the advancement of today's society and CCP's usual forward-thinking tendencies, it really shouldn't be something out of the ordinary to change genders.

You really want to pay money for that? Its a game.. good grief.
Oh and IB4L

That's exactly the point, it's a game and you can't change genders

You can change genders. Put all your dudette's SP into injectors, delete the character, roll up a dude and inject the skills. I see it like this. Step one - change genders. Step two - my character's name doesn't match it's gender..... can we please change character names too??? And off we go into THAT bad idea again.

IRL few trans gender folks keep their name. IRL that's fine and great. In this game it's not. Trust is at a premium and characters create and define their reputations and this has lasting effects. Being able to change things easily and on a whim with a bag of isk would just make a difficult and frustrating game more frustrating. The only real arguments I've encountered for all these forms of character switchery boil down to I screwed up (bad name choice) or I changed my mind on character gender (your case).

So to recap: IRL you can't have multiple people that you can inhabit, so things like being transgender and changing your name are valid options (some would say imperatives). In Eve you can roll up a new character at any time, you can have multiple characters, and CCP has given you a mechanism to transfer SP between them. You need to understand the differences between RL society and it's advancement and Eve. I can't threaten kill and bully the same person in real life without real consequences, but I can change my name and be transgender. I can kill (multiple times) threaten and bully a character in eve without real consequences, but I can't change my name or be transgender. Thinking about it, you really can't ever kill a character in Eve - period. The most you can do is blow up it's imaginary ship and pod and force a reboot in an imaginary medical station. IRL just isn't the same as In Eve Life.

RL - there's just one you, so changing you makes sense.
Eve - an infinite number of you is possible, so changing in game character identifiers does not make sense.

TL/DR There is no need for a transgender option due to skill injectors and the multiple character generation options already available in Eve.
Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#28 - 2016-12-09 13:47:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Gadget Helmsdottir
Totally for this, but that should come as no surprise since I'm also for paid name changes.
Changing genders for a price, especially since rescuplts are available, should be a no-brainer.

The only game play that this affects is the the requesting player's.

Asking a player to scrap a multi-year character with an established history, because the player wants to change their avatar is ridiculous.
SP drugs don't move history, just SP.

The 'meaningful consequences' thing is complete bunk, and has no meaning for things of a strictly personal and asthetic nature.

So, what's the deal now?
Are you memorizing peoples portraits in order to remember pilots? (Resculpts already exits).
Are you assuming feminine or masculine traits when dealing with said pilot? (In a game where the vast majority of feminine avatars are for G.I.R.L.s?)
Are you projecting your own or your countries social prejudice? (at least that would be an honest answer...)

Seriously though, that last one was a bit tongue-in-cheek. The shoe will fit quite a few, but I'm pretty sure that most pilots probably just don't give a damn what avatar another pilot uses.

The only argument that I can even fathom as being logical, is the unwillingness to "waste dev's time". I mind you, I don't buy that rhetoric, but at least it makes a tiny bit of sense.

I'm going to keep advocating for paid name changes, and I'll keep losing until I win... that's the EvE way, after all.
Paid gender swaps don't need an advocate... they just need to happen.

--Gadget

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

morion
Lighting Build
#29 - 2016-12-10 18:32:16 UTC
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:
Totally for this, but that should come as no surprise since I'm also for paid name changes.
Changing genders for a price, especially since rescuplts are available, should be a no-brainer.

The only game play that this affects is the the requesting player's.

Asking a player to scrap a multi-year character with an established history, because the player wants to change their avatar is ridiculous.
SP drugs don't move history, just SP.

The 'meaningful consequences' thing is complete bunk, and has no meaning for things of a strictly personal and asthetic nature.

So, what's the deal now?
Are you memorizing peoples portraits in order to remember pilots? (Resculpts already exits).
Are you assuming feminine or masculine traits when dealing with said pilot? (In a game where the vast majority of feminine avatars are for G.I.R.L.s?)
Are you projecting your own or your countries social prejudice? (at least that would be an honest answer...)

Seriously though, that last one was a bit tongue-in-cheek. The shoe will fit quite a few, but I'm pretty sure that most pilots probably just don't give a damn what avatar another pilot uses.

The only argument that I can even fathom as being logical, is the unwillingness to "waste dev's time". I mind you, I don't buy that rhetoric, but at least it makes a tiny bit of sense.

I'm going to keep advocating for paid name changes, and I'll keep losing until I win... that's the EvE way, after all.
Paid gender swaps don't need an advocate... they just need to happen.

--Gadget

No
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#30 - 2016-12-11 04:33:16 UTC
Holy flying flock of squirrels.

How did this thread go from a simple extra step in the character re-sculpture to some political and moral discussion about how gender changes are evil to name changes?

Gender changes - sure why the flock not. Just add it to the current set up and be done with it. It's a video game, and politics and real life morals should not dictate what limits people have in the game.
For flying dragon penises, we fly around killing each other and ganking industrial players all the time. Real life morals and beliefs don't stand a fleas arse in this game.

And Gadget, sorry. I can't support name name changes unless they make stricter naming rules.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

Lugh Crow-Slave
#31 - 2016-12-11 05:05:30 UTC
PopeUrban wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
PopeUrban wrote:

to lazy to re-type

nothing in the re-sculpt is anyplace near as psychologically impactive as gender
Lugh Crow-Slave
#32 - 2016-12-11 05:07:01 UTC
Amarisen Gream wrote:
politics and real life morals should not dictate what limits people have in the game.

... give me one time this has ever been the case? politics and morals have always deemed what is and what is not acceptable to allow into a game
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#33 - 2016-12-11 13:46:12 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Amarisen Gream wrote:
politics and real life morals should not dictate what limits people have in the game.

... give me one time this has ever been the case? politics and morals have always deemed what is and what is not acceptable to allow into a game

And yet, EVE is full of people running around killing other players for the sport. So trying to use a moral code to justify one aspect of the game doesn't work when the whole game is people lieing, cheating, stealing and killing.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

Scath Bererund
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2016-12-11 14:23:05 UTC
Frankly yes. This should be part of a resculpt.

How is it that things we can do on earth now are not possable in the EVE galaxy?
PopeUrban
El Expedicion
Flames of Exile
#35 - 2016-12-11 21:42:30 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
PopeUrban wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
PopeUrban wrote:

to lazy to re-type

nothing in the re-sculpt is anyplace near as psychologically impactive as gender

lol

You're just reaching for reasons to be contrary now. Character gender has zero psychological impact in an online video game in 2016.

Player gender in commas and a good performance? Maybe.

Character gender? Not even a little.
Iracham
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2016-12-11 22:56:19 UTC
PopeUrban wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
PopeUrban wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
PopeUrban wrote:

to lazy to re-type

lol

You're just reaching for reasons to be contrary now. Character gender has zero psychological impact in an online video game in 2016.

Player gender in commas and a good performance? Maybe.

Character gender? Not even a little.

You are incorrect.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#37 - 2016-12-12 19:37:30 UTC
Kids, please. The game already allows multiple characters and skill injectors. Use the tools provided and quit trying to waste DEV time and resources. This is an epic sci fi pvp fantasy game - shoot stuff. If you don't like your characters gender - make a new one and transfer the skills via injectors then go shoot stuff.

The game needs interesting and engaging play options. It does not need the ability for you to swap character genders because... the reason doesn't matter. Character gender swaping is soooooooo far away from any core game mechanic or principle that it should default to the bottom of whatever CCP uses as a priority list.

TL/DR - Eve has a great character generator, BUT it is not (nor should it be) space barbies online. Use the tools already available.
Kami Lincoln
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#38 - 2016-12-12 20:30:32 UTC
As some have already pointed out, there's a reason you can't. There is also a reason you cannot change your name either. Frankly, with how little role your actually character or gender plays, I'm not sure I really see the point anyway. What's wrong with the character the way she is? You can always sell your character on the forums here and buy a different one with ISK.
Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2016-12-12 21:35:05 UTC
The Jove were tinkering with this, and it destabilized their whaddayacallit. (ayyy low effort LOL)
Phaade
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#40 - 2016-12-13 14:41:48 UTC
Really don't need politics injected into my internet spaceship game.