These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is Rocket damage influenced by missile bonuses?

Author
Tremaine Holden
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-12-05 18:29:29 UTC
I feel ashamed for asking this question, but does damage bonuses regarding missiles concern rockets? I know on select ships, such as the Corax and I believe Condor "rocket" is mentioned by itself, but rockets are a component of the missile skill category.

Eve isn't about flying the biggest ship, or having the biggest guns. It's about finding something you love to do and doing it better. Gallente born. Guristas driven.

Gila "Amadeus"

Next in line: Rattlesnake

Persephone Alleile
Tartarus Covert Operations
#2 - 2016-12-05 18:42:03 UTC
The ship info should mention which specific weapon systems it gives a bonus to, but yes, in most cases caldari frigates and destroyers get the bonus for light missiles and rockets and that includes the Corax.
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#3 - 2016-12-05 21:28:25 UTC
Tremaine Holden wrote:
I feel ashamed for asking this question, but does damage bonuses regarding missiles concern rockets? I know on select ships, such as the Corax and I believe Condor "rocket" is mentioned by itself, but rockets are a component of the missile skill category.

If a specific missile system is mentioned, then the bonus only impacts those missile systems. The Condor has kinetic damage bonuses to both Light Missiles and Rockets, and the Corax also has multiple bonuses that apply to both light missiles and rockets.

There are some platforms that are more launcher specific. The Khanid line of T2 Amarr ships generally prefer short range missiles, so you'll see more Rocket bonuses than Light Missile bonuses on the Malediction and Vengeance. (What the Sacrilege is doing with those Heavy Missile bonuses I'll never understand, but whatever.)

Generally speaking, ships will only get bonuses to missile systems that are roughly hull-appropriate. Then there are the Mordos Legion ships that apply damage bonuses to all missiles. Damage bonuses rapid light launchers on a battleships? While this may be of questionable utility, the Bhargest can certainly do it.

Hope this helps.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Tremaine Holden
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2016-12-06 00:10:00 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Tremaine Holden wrote:

If a specific missile system is mentioned, then the bonus only impacts those missile systems. The Condor has kinetic damage bonuses to both Light Missiles and Rockets, and the Corax also has multiple bonuses that apply to both light missiles and rockets.

There are some platforms that are more launcher specific. The Khanid line of T2 Amarr ships generally prefer short range missiles, so you'll see more Rocket bonuses than Light Missile bonuses on the Malediction and Vengeance. (What the Sacrilege is doing with those Heavy Missile bonuses I'll never understand, but whatever.)

Generally speaking, ships will only get bonuses to missile systems that are roughly hull-appropriate. Then there are the Mordos Legion ships that apply damage bonuses to all missiles. Damage bonuses rapid light launchers on a battleships? While this may be of questionable utility, the Bhargest can certainly do it.

Hope this helps.

that's what I'm getting at, sir. You hit it right on the nail, but to clarify, if it says /missiles/ just missiles in general, does that mean it applies to rockets as well?

Eve isn't about flying the biggest ship, or having the biggest guns. It's about finding something you love to do and doing it better. Gallente born. Guristas driven.

Gila "Amadeus"

Sara Starbuck
Adamantine Creations
#5 - 2016-12-06 05:16:13 UTC
Im pretty sure that the ships which say something like "10% bonus to kinetic and thermal missile damage" (such as worm,gila,rattle) give bonuses to any launcher system as long as the damage type is correct.
Bronson Hughes
#6 - 2016-12-06 12:48:52 UTC
Tremaine Holden wrote:
that's what I'm getting at, sir. You hit it right on the nail, but to clarify, if it says /missiles/ just missiles in general, does that mean it applies to rockets as well?

Sara Starbuck wrote:
Im pretty sure that the ships which say something like "10% bonus to kinetic and thermal missile damage" (such as worm,gila,rattle) give bonuses to any launcher system as long as the damage type is correct.

Correct. Rockets are a subset of missiles, so if a bonus applies to all missiles, or all missiles of a certain damage type, then it will apply to rockets (or at least rockets of the correct damage type).

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Tremaine Holden
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2016-12-06 16:58:25 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Tremaine Holden wrote:

Sara Starbuck wrote:

Correct. Rockets are a subset of missiles, so if a bonus applies to all missiles, or all missiles of a certain damage type, then it will apply to rockets (or at least rockets of the correct damage type).

So technically, I could theoretically make a Gila rocket boat?

Gila "Amadeus"

Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#8 - 2016-12-06 17:04:24 UTC
Tremaine Holden wrote:

To the extent that it has bonuses to thermal and kinetic missiles, sure, you could waste that fitting rocket launchers. But honestly the Gila is a drone boat and there's no changing that.
Bronson Hughes
#9 - 2016-12-06 17:11:48 UTC
Tremaine Holden wrote:
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Tremaine Holden wrote:

Sara Starbuck wrote:

The missile damage bonuses on a Gila would apply to rockets, yes.

Whether that choice of fit is sound tactically is another matter....

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Tremaine Holden
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2016-12-06 17:16:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Tremaine Holden
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Tremaine Holden wrote:
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Tremaine Holden wrote:

Sara Starbuck wrote:

The missile damage bonuses on a Gila would apply to rockets, yes.

Whether that choice of fit is sound tactically is another matter....

I understand it doesn't sound very ideal.
But, you know, I've built every ship around another person's "fit", browsing fit guides for how someone else believes and feel a specific ship should be fitted. I feel im not appreciating the game by totally removing the creativity element of it. I'm trying to step away from the "meta" mindset of gaming. I got enough of it in Elderscrolls online, Navy Field and I dealt with it personally in RIFT.
Thousands of skill sets, if not millions (based off of RIFTS calculations) and players still stick to cookie cutter, flavor-of-the-month builds. I'm just trying to enjoy the game in my own special way.

Gila "Amadeus"

Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#11 - 2016-12-06 17:24:13 UTC
Tremaine Holden wrote:

But, you know, I've built every ship around another person's "fit", browsing fit guides for how someone else believes and feel a specific ship should be fitted. I feel im not appreciating the game by totally removing the creativity element of it. I'm trying to step away from the "meta" mindset of gaming. I got enough of it in Elderscrolls online, Navy Field and I dealt with it personally in RIFT.
Thousands of skill sets, if not millions (based off of RIFTS calculations) and players still stick to cookie cutter, flavor-of-the-month builds. I'm just trying to enjoy the game in my own special way.

So there are five launchers you can choose to put on a Gila.

1) Heavy assault. High damage, shortish range, badish application. Not bad for puching down same class or higher.

2) Heavy. Moderate damage, good range, bad application. Good for pushing out some damage at a bit of a range. Application is a problem unless you fit around it.

3) Rapid light. Moderate range, moderate damage, good application. Good for punching down tackle while your drones work on other things. Most balanced approach.

4) Light. Moderate range, low damage, good application, low fittings. If for some reason the rest of your fit has taxed out your CPU, this is a way to go to get some damage pushed beyond your nose.

5) Rocket. Short range, low damage, good application, low fittings. Really only good for harassing tackle frigs that already have you tackled. Even then you'd want rapid lights if you could fit them.

There exist times I'd use four out of these five. Rockets, I'm afraid, are the one I've never been able to justify. But you still have options staying away from them.
Bronson Hughes
#12 - 2016-12-06 17:52:27 UTC
Tremaine Holden wrote:
But, you know, I've built every ship around another person's "fit", browsing fit guides for how someone else believes and feel a specific ship should be fitted. I feel im not appreciating the game by totally removing the creativity element of it. I'm trying to step away from the "meta" mindset of gaming.

You're talking to the guy who has a decent track record hull tanking in spite of much mocking. Blink

Me offering some advice as to what would be useful is in no way meant to discourage you from getting creative. Rockets on a Gila could make for a fabulous anti-drone weapon if you needed one, but I've often found that it's better to just kill the ship controlling them.

But that's just me. Do yer thing.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Thomas Lot
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#13 - 2016-12-09 14:51:41 UTC
Rockets belong on the Crow Interceptor as a fast tackle and anti-drone fitting while used in small gangs.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#14 - 2016-12-09 17:19:03 UTC
I'd just remind you, that cookie cutter fits are generally based around a history of success ratio.
The concept behind altering a cookie cut fit, is to get some ultra amazing DPS, or to surprise an opponent with some kind of hidden tank ability. Not sure that rockets on a Gila is going to do either of that for you.

That said:
I wouldn't stop anyone from trying stuff out. I've done,
Armor Ravens
Autocannon Rokhs
100 MN T3s
Neut Typhoons
Rookie ship Pirate fleets
A gas harvester Cane

It is just a game. Game it!
Tremaine Holden
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2016-12-09 18:19:46 UTC
RavenPaine wrote:
I'd just remind you, that cookie cutter fits are generally based around a history of success ratio.
The concept behind altering a cookie cut fit, is to get some ultra amazing DPS, or to surprise an opponent with some kind of hidden tank ability. Not sure that rockets on a Gila is going to do either of that for you.

That said:
Armor Ravens
Autocannon Rokhs
100 MN T3s
Neut Typhoons
A gas harvester Cane

There is no surprise when its cookie cut.
I've been checking out PVP videos, and a few of them if you pay close enough attention you can catch the streamer/recorder mentioning his enemies potential fit "Oh yeah, this guy is probably running the AB/Nosferatu build" I want to avoid that with an actual surprise. I don't want someone to see me expecting a rock - paper - scissors, I want them to roll rock and myself to pull out a knife. That's why I'm against meta. I fared very well in RIFT with a Champion/paragon/AB build that NO ONE knew about cause everyone was focusing on being pyros and pally/riftblades for example.

Gila "Amadeus"

Marcus Blackthorn
Royal Assassins Guild
Chained Reactions
#16 - 2016-12-09 18:51:35 UTC
RavenPaine wrote:

That said:
Armor Ravens
Autocannon Rokhs
100 MN T3s
Neut Typhoons
A gas harvester Cane

A rookie ship pirate fleet sounds like it would be a lot of fun Lol
Bronson Hughes
#17 - 2016-12-09 20:37:30 UTC
Marcus Blackthorn wrote:
A rookie ship pirate fleet sounds like it would be a lot of fun Lol

A rookie ship pirate fleet, or a pirate rookie ship fleet?

Both are fun, but in different ways. (And with vastly different pricetags....)

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs