These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Clone jumping destroying implants - WHY

Author
Baron Deathicon
Outerspace Vanguard
#1 - 2016-12-08 21:49:06 UTC
Hello,

Why is it that implants must be destroyed to clone jump to another station if the current station have more than one jump clone? What does it bring to the overall EVE gameplay? Is it only a technical limitation which makes it difficult to properly implement, or is there a reason? Prevent some exploits?

Question

please explain
Memphis Baas
#2 - 2016-12-08 21:53:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Issue isn't with implants, issue is with "more than one clone" at the station where you're jumping from.

Because when you jump away, a clone gets added to the station that you just left. So you can jump back the next day.

So if you have multiple clones, they get destroyed.

Because ONE departure point and ONE arrival point (technical limitation).

So if you want to avoid this, don't keep all your jump clones in the same station. Install clones at different stations.

Or install ONE clone at the station, fly away, jump TO the clone, install a second clone at the station, fly away, jump TO the (second) clone, repeat.
Baron Deathicon
Outerspace Vanguard
#3 - 2016-12-08 21:59:11 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
Because when you jump away, a clone gets added to the station that you just left. So you can jump back the next day.

Yeah sure, but then how does it work for the working case where there is only one clone in both stations - their implants aren't getting destroyed, implying its not creating a NEW clone. Doesn't make sense.
Dr Yukazuma
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2016-12-08 22:03:19 UTC
Baron Deathicon wrote:
[quote=Memphis Baas]Because when you jump away, a clone gets added to the station that you just left. So you can jump back the next day.

Yeah sure, but then how does it work for the working case where there is only one clone in both stations - their implants aren't getting destroyed, implying its not creating a NEW clone. Doesn't make sense.[/quote

It is creating a new clone and having ONE clone per station does not destroy the implants.
Baron Deathicon
Outerspace Vanguard
#5 - 2016-12-08 22:06:57 UTC
I know all those mechanics, I'm asking why are they implemented like this.
Memphis Baas
#6 - 2016-12-08 22:14:38 UTC
Don't know why, unfortunately. Open a ticket and ask CCP directly, or perhaps a dev will drop by and answer what they were thinking when they implemented this.
Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#7 - 2016-12-08 22:23:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Neuntausend
Geronimo McVain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2016-12-08 22:26:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Geronimo McVain
Baron Deathicon wrote:

My guess is that it makes it easier on the Database because there can only be one clone associated to any station.d
Estella Osoka
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2016-12-08 22:43:43 UTC
Baron Deathicon wrote:

Apparently you don't. Because if you did, you would not have lost a clone with a full set of implants.
Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2016-12-08 22:44:49 UTC
Ours is not to question why; ours is but to do and die.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2016-12-08 23:48:23 UTC  |  Edited by: DeMichael Crimson
Yeah, I agree. Definitely would be nice if we could stack clones with implants in one station but that could be used as an exploit, especially for PvP / Fleet Ops.

That's why CCP decided a long time ago ..................

DMC
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#12 - 2016-12-08 23:58:10 UTC
Legacy code they'll hopefully fix at some point.
Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#13 - 2016-12-09 01:26:35 UTC
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#14 - 2016-12-09 03:01:48 UTC
Vortexo VonBrenner wrote:
Don't we get a warning now, at least?

We do. I think he was just questioning the reasoning behind why it works that way.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Baron Deathicon
Outerspace Vanguard
#15 - 2016-12-09 03:17:57 UTC
Yeah this popup has been there for several years now. And no I have never lost implants that way, I wouldn't click yes to that. Just curious if there was a good reason behind it. I don't see this could be an exploit considering you can fly to nearest station and still choose a clone with different implants, and regardless there's the jump cooldown... oh well. Please fix? Roll
Cade Windstalker
#16 - 2016-12-09 03:33:40 UTC
Baron Deathicon wrote:
Yeah sure, but then how does it work for the working case where there is only one clone in both stations - their implants aren't getting destroyed, implying its not creating a NEW clone. Doesn't make sense.

If you have a Jump Clone in your current station, and you jump to another, then you just left one clone body in the station where you already had one, so there are now 2 there and the older one gets chucked in the garbage.

Baron Deathicon wrote:
Yeah this popup has been there for several years now. And no I have never lost implants that way, I wouldn't click yes to that. Just curious if there was a good reason behind it. I don't see this could be an exploit considering you can fly to nearest station and still choose a clone with different implants, and regardless there's the jump cooldown... oh well. Please fix? Roll

This was already answered in literally the first response, technical limitations. There's a list of jump clone locations attached to your character, and the location is a unique key, so you can't have more than one clone per station in the Eve data back-end.

Aka: Technical limitations.

Could they go back and code this differently? Yes!

Would it be far more work than it's currently worth just for this very small QoL feature? Yup!

So it's not going to happen until CCP gets around to re-writing that part of the back-end code, and even then only if the designers decide that it's not more interesting/balanced/funny to leave the limitation at 1 clone per station.
2Sonas1Cup
#17 - 2016-12-09 04:22:43 UTC
Because CCP
Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#18 - 2016-12-09 05:40:31 UTC
My guess would be that it's an ISK sink. Nothing more.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." Elim Garak.

Paranoid Loyd
#19 - 2016-12-09 06:35:01 UTC
That expression you've managed to achieve tho. Looks like someone just dropped the smelliest fart ever.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2016-12-09 09:45:20 UTC
However with the new citadels you can have multiple jump clones in it and you can jump between them with no cool down period as long as it's the same citadel.
12Next page