These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Linux

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Able to log into launcher, but client won't launch

First post
Author
Isaiah Valence
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-11-26 04:27:17 UTC
OS: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
Kernel: 4.4.0-31-generic

So, i've downloaded the launcher binary .tar.gz and extracted it to my home directory.
I run the evelauncher.sh via 'sh', and the launcher appears. It updates just fine, and i'm able to login. However then upon clicking to launch the game, nothing happens. The "Play" button changes as if it was launching, but then it changes back and the client doesn't appear.

Also, whenever I launch LogLite (from the "E" menu on the launcher), nothing appears in it. Like, the window comes up, but no matter what I do it doesn't seem to log anything at all.


I have no idea what to try, i'm not experienced enough with linux to really understand what could be the problem.

Any thoughts?
g0nz028
25 Steal Industries
#2 - 2016-11-26 11:13:25 UTC  |  Edited by: g0nz028
I have exactly the same issue on a fresh linux mint 18 xfce installation.

edit: on my other machine it works since always. old linux mint 18 cinnamon installation.

edit2: I started loglite and then restartet the launcher and got these warnings:

warning    2016-11-26T12:33:14    4205    /home/gonzo/evelauncher/evelauncher    wuerfel    evelauncher    qt.network.ssl    QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_client_method
warning    2016-11-26T12:33:14    4205    /home/gonzo/evelauncher/evelauncher    wuerfel    evelauncher    qt.network.ssl    QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_server_method
warning    2016-11-26T12:33:14    4205    /home/gonzo/evelauncher/evelauncher    wuerfel    evelauncher    default    Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/gonzo/evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
warning    2016-11-26T12:33:14    4205    /home/gonzo/evelauncher/evelauncher    wuerfel    evelauncher    default    Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/gonzo/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
warning    2016-11-26T12:33:55    4205    /home/gonzo/evelauncher/evelauncher    wuerfel    evelauncher    default    QXcbWindow: Unhandled client message: "_GTK_LOAD_ICONTHEMES"
Isaiah Valence
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2016-11-26 16:26:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Isaiah Valence
Ok, I didn't realize loglite had to be running prior to starting the launcher. I thought it would start listening live upon launch.

I tried again, this time w/ loglite running first and got...

well 2 errors and a bunch of warnings.

warning    2016-11-26T11:20:19    3387    /home/adam/evelauncher/evelauncher    daemonHand    evelauncher    qt.network.ssl    QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_client_method
warning    2016-11-26T11:20:19    3387    /home/adam/evelauncher/evelauncher    daemonHand    evelauncher    qt.network.ssl    QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_server_method
warning    2016-11-26T11:20:20    3387    /home/adam/evelauncher/evelauncher    daemonHand    evelauncher    default    Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/adam/evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
warning    2016-11-26T11:20:20    3387    /home/adam/evelauncher/evelauncher    daemonHand    evelauncher    default    Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/adam/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
error    2016-11-26T11:20:23    3387    /home/adam/evelauncher/evelauncher    daemonHand    evelauncher    default    Couldn't open index file "/home/adam/.eve//ResFiles/1d/1d34143a37d4b739_0b957dc3cc6b40a45cd0a1029a9659af"
error    2016-11-26T11:20:23    3387    /home/adam/evelauncher/evelauncher    daemonHand    evelauncher    default    Couldn't open index file "/home/adam/.eve//ResFiles/1d/1d34143a37d4b739_0a2f03ea1068a4c273c2c5f80dab687d"


The location that keeps getting referenced has two \ in a row for some reason. ".eve//ResFiles". does linux allow for that?
Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#4 - 2016-11-27 10:01:00 UTC
It does. In the launcher, click the "E" at the top right -> Shared Cache -> Verify. Give it a couple of minutes, and it will likely find and fix the error.
Isaiah Valence
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2016-11-27 20:41:44 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
It does. In the launcher, click the "E" at the top right -> Shared Cache -> Verify. Give it a couple of minutes, and it will likely find and fix the error.



Uhh, the "Verify" button is greyed out.
FC what do?
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#6 - 2016-11-27 21:00:32 UTC
Isaiah Valence wrote:
Neuntausend wrote:
It does. In the launcher, click the "E" at the top right -> Shared Cache -> Verify. Give it a couple of minutes, and it will likely find and fix the error.



Uhh, the "Verify" button is greyed out.
FC what do?

The Verify can't do its job until it has downloaded all relevant indices. If you have the test servers enabled, by default Singularity and Duality - then Verify isn't available until those have finished downloading as well. You can disable them in the Settings if you don't care about logging into test servers. This will make the Verify accessible earlier.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

g0nz028
25 Steal Industries
#7 - 2016-11-27 22:19:35 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Isaiah Valence wrote:
Neuntausend wrote:
It does. In the launcher, click the "E" at the top right -> Shared Cache -> Verify. Give it a couple of minutes, and it will likely find and fix the error.



Uhh, the "Verify" button is greyed out.
FC what do?

The Verify can't do its job until it has downloaded all relevant indices. If you have the test servers enabled, by default Singularity and Duality - then Verify isn't available until those have finished downloading as well. You can disable them in the Settings if you don't care about logging into test servers. This will make the Verify accessible earlier.


I did the verify thing but it doesn't help. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
Murtoc
To The Pain
#8 - 2016-11-28 17:57:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Murtoc
I had a very similar situation.
I previously had tried the windows launcher, but was not able to get it to work right. I mean I got the game to launch but I was not able to login and was not able to get the launcher to show for me to log in to the launcher.
Thats when I found this great little native linux launcher. Queue the days and days of trying to get it to work.
I got to where the launcher was working I could login, but the game wouldn't launch. I didn't see any errors in the terminal.
loglite showed me all kinds of issues with index files. I couldn't even get the verify button to become ungreyed.
I even got it to core dump a couple of times.

I tried renaming the .eve directory to see if downloading fresh files would help, which of course didn't.
Tried launching it through Steam, no go there either.

I decided to try and create a fresh Linux OS User with nothing done.
Logged in to this user, first thing I was prompted was to install Steam.
After that was done launched the evelauncher.sh which downloaed a new version.
Then it started downloading files, I saw there were a bunch of errors for a bit, so I wasn't to excited it would work.
It continued on downloading more files without showing it had errors.
Once it was all said and done I was able to launch the game with no more problems.

Is there some type of cleanup script out there that I can run to clean up my other users files? I would rather not have to use this new temp user I created as all my settings and everything are setup under the user where Eve won't launch properly.

EDIT:
After removing these directories everything seems to be working great after it redownloaded everything.
rm -rf .nv
rm -rf .cache/CCP/
rm -rf .eve
rm -rf .EVE
rm -rf .local/share/CCP
rm -rf .config/CCP/
Scrove Gardanto
MB Consulting
#9 - 2016-12-05 03:10:01 UTC
Awesome, thank you all for this info. I can finally play.
Talis Mahn
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2016-12-05 09:06:49 UTC
Well, the launcher verifies the files now. (I transferred the whole /53 directory contents.)

But now according to the log:

evelauncher qt.network.ssl QSslSocket: cannot resolve


What else can I try?

One of the rare Linux Eve players

Murtoc
To The Pain
#11 - 2016-12-05 13:10:02 UTC
Talis Mahn wrote:
Well, the launcher verifies the files now. (I transferred the whole /53 directory contents.)

But now according to the log:

evelauncher qt.network.ssl QSslSocket: cannot resolve


What else can I try?


Do you have openssl installed? sounds like you might be missing the ssl libraries.
Is there any more to that error message?
Talis Mahn
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2016-12-05 14:28:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Talis Mahn
Well, OpenSSL is installed. This all shows up as warnings.

Qt.network.ssl QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_client_method

The rest seems to be about Qt

Default Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/----/evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...

Then

Default Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/----/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.

One of the rare Linux Eve players

Murtoc
To The Pain
#13 - 2016-12-05 14:52:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Murtoc
Talis Mahn wrote:
Well, OpenSSL is installed. This all shows up as warnings.

Qt.network.ssl QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_client_method

The rest seems to be about Qt

Default Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/----/evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...

Then

Default Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/----/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.


I see those same errors, I don't think those are the problems/errors to look at.

When I launch manually via console I see the following.

"~/evelauncher$ ./evelauncher.sh
[1205/074726:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(291)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale
Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location ~evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location ~/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
[1205/074726:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(291)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; no appID found.
Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.
"

When I monitor via LogLite, I see 2 messages about the qt.network.ssl with the message of "QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_client_method"

In LogLite what error messages do you see that are showing up as red messages? I would look at the last ones you are seeing.
Talis Mahn
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2016-12-06 15:31:41 UTC
Damnit, it won't let me post the errors...(You are not allowed to post html)

One of the rare Linux Eve players

Talis Mahn
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2016-12-06 15:39:50 UTC
And just like that is started working. I switched to the Daily wine version and poof it started working. (1.0.17-ccp-daily-18)

One of the rare Linux Eve players

Dryvin Marstolt
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#16 - 2016-12-07 03:15:42 UTC
Having the same problem. Arch X86_64, Nvidia GTX 970. Works with the daily dev wine, but doesn't work with my system wine, wine-staging with CSMT. I can get by for now on the default included wine, but performance is not nearly as good. Hopefully we can determine more clearly what is going on soon.
Ami Sentokia
The Cruciform
Keep Calm and Parley
#17 - 2016-12-07 09:38:13 UTC
see my solution here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6744718#post6744718
no need to delete as much.
Roesjka
The Last Solution Inc
#18 - 2016-12-08 22:25:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Roesjka
Ok to summarize steps to be taken when on Debian testing/stretch and using wine-staging,
might also be helpful for ppl on other distro's.

Check if you have still installed libssl1.0.2, normally libssl1.0.2_1.0.2j-4 should still be installed,
otherwise reinstall it from Debian testing/stretch or your distro's repo..

Make a symlinks in the evelauncher directory:
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.2 libssl.so
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.2 libcrypto.so

In case you are running into the wineserver mismatch versions rename SharedCache/wine/bin/wineserver to wineserver.org or just remove it.

I can now launch and run EVE with my custom wine-staging 1.9.23 but might also help with other wine versions.

Thx guys for giving me the pointers to get it working again.

Cheers

Cheers,

Retired UNIX/Linux IT Specialist.

AsRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-8320, 16GB mem, GTX 1070

y50-70, i7, 16GB mem, GTX 860M

Both running Debian stretch 64bit

MachineOfLovingGrace
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#19 - 2016-12-23 16:48:54 UTC
Isaiah Valence wrote:
OS: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
Kernel: 4.4.0-31-generic

So, i've downloaded the launcher binary .tar.gz and extracted it to my home directory.
I run the evelauncher.sh via 'sh', and the launcher appears. It updates just fine, and i'm able to login. However then upon clicking to launch the game, nothing happens. The "Play" button changes as if it was launching, but then it changes back and the client doesn't appear.

Also, whenever I launch LogLite (from the "E" menu on the launcher), nothing appears in it. Like, the window comes up, but no matter what I do it doesn't seem to log anything at all.


I have no idea what to try, i'm not experienced enough with linux to really understand what could be the problem.

Any thoughts?


Not sure if you are still having this issue, but on debian stretch I needed to install wine & wine32 before I could run eve even with the bundled wine - otherwise the exact same thing happened, which is, nothing after clicking "play".
Darkpepper
Lost World Compagny
#20 - 2016-12-27 11:57:06 UTC
Hi !

I have the "same issue" but not for the same errors :
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L\"WLDAP32.dll\": libldap_r-2.4.so.2
"err:module:import_dll Loading library WLDAP32.dll (which is needed by L\"C:\\\\tq\\\\bin\\\\blue.dll\") failed (error c000007a)."
"err:module:import_dll Library blue.dll (which is needed by L\"C:\\\\tq\\\\bin\\\\exefile.exe\") not found"
"err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L\"C:\\\\tq\\\\bin\\\\exefile.exe\" failed, status c0000135"


i tried to install the libldap_r-2.4.2 thing but my system seems to already have it...

Running Linux Mint 18.1

Anyone can help me ?

**W**ormhole space, **L**inux Mint, **F**ree cookies