These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Choosing a name for New Caldari Character

Author
Joshua Neilson
Doomheim
#1 - 2016-11-28 19:39:59 UTC
I wanted to get the community input on how to choose a name for a new Caldari Character. I wanted to start playing one but can't come up with a good name.
Piugattuk
Litla Sundlaugin
#2 - 2016-11-28 19:50:03 UTC
How about SIVUUGUN, it sounds almost like son of a gun, this gives it some street cred.
Oraac Ensor
#3 - 2016-11-28 19:58:44 UTC
Maybe you could find inspiration here: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=1354.0
Francis Raven
GeoCorp.
The Initiative.
#4 - 2016-11-28 19:58:59 UTC
Doesnt matter. There are no real naming conventions for players in the game. There are two routes you can go:

1) A simple name that is easy to remember.
2) A standard name, which you like, that would fit with your RP.

ExDominion | Nullsec Corporation | Website | Forums | Established Nov. 2015 |

Looking for Corp
Doomheim
#5 - 2016-11-28 20:27:17 UTC
Joshua Neilson wrote:
I wanted to get the community input on how to choose a name for a new Caldari Character. I wanted to start playing one but can't come up with a good name.

something french
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#6 - 2016-11-28 20:34:11 UTC
Normally I only worry about the first name, and I hit the family button over and over until I get something that sounds interesting.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#7 - 2016-11-28 20:40:11 UTC
Lulu Lunette
Savage Moon Society
#8 - 2016-11-28 21:40:01 UTC
I've always liked Laverne.

@lunettelulu7

Hrist Harkonnen
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2016-11-28 23:14:16 UTC
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#10 - 2016-11-29 04:01:31 UTC
don't start your name with the letter 'A' or 'Z', because you'll be 'primary' most of the time.:)

Just Add Water

YeuxVerts Belle
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2016-11-29 08:06:41 UTC
Don't make the mistake i made : choose a name that is easy to pronounce for english speakers (and/or native speakers of your country)

The above message presents my opinions on the topic at hand. If there is a conflict between my views and reality, consider reality to be correct until proven otherwise.

Memphis Baas
#12 - 2016-11-29 13:53:30 UTC
Go through character creation, and at the end where you're supposed to pick your name, click the Randomize button multiple times, to get an idea of what the lore suggests your name should be.

As you can see, I ignored the suggested names and picked my own.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2016-11-29 14:00:43 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Ian.

i wanted that to be Lan, you wanted that to be Lan, you meant to write Lan didnt you? Cool

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Kaylen Vimanis
#14 - 2016-11-29 14:13:13 UTC
Well first of all, is your character going to be male or female?

I’m a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.

Skyweir Kinnison
Doomheim
#15 - 2016-11-29 14:36:26 UTC
Another method is to open the agent finder for the race you are interested in and review all the names of the agents. This may give you some good ideas.

Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country.

Venkhar Krard
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2016-11-29 14:48:38 UTC
Whatever you do, don't name him "Zero". I can't count the ships my corp lost because of "Warp to Zero!". I hate that guy :P
Ovv Topik
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2016-11-29 16:32:26 UTC
Steve

/thread

"Nicknack, I'm in a shoe in space, on my computer, in my house, with a cup of coffee, in't that something." - Fly Safe PopPaddi. o7

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#18 - 2016-11-29 23:27:17 UTC
Hrist Harkonnen wrote:
USARULEZ

sounds good but we can do better I vote for: USARULEZ USARULEZ USARULEZ yea three times!

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2016-11-30 22:13:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Matthias Ancaladron
Generally theyre a mix of japanese/northern european. So think norway, iceland, finland type names mixed with japanese.

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/eve-caldari-names.php#.WD9L_L1OloM
This is a decent name generator for caldari.

This isnt specific to any them but it comes up with interesting names and you can control starting letters and ending suffixes of 3 letters if you want to.

https://dicelog.com/yafnag
Really though i just set it up to like 7-12 letters and generate a list of 200+ and see if anything you like comes out.

But im extremely neurotic when it comes to picking names for character creation.
I probably used 20 different generator sites and 100s of generated lists al with a personal list in wordpad ive had for years when i find names and sounds i like and i didnt find anything i really liked for amarr. So i ended up asking for a name change after i botched the name on this originally. It wasnt a bad name it just didnt suit my face. I still spent three days after trying to come up with something and i settled for what i have now. Im worried it sounds too much like creodron tho for an amarr character but ive rationalized it by pronouncing creodron as creo'drone from this point on which will let me keep the 'drawn at the end of my name. I wantedna hypenated 2 part name or something distinct like tash murkon or ardishapur. But going with the persian sounding stuff didnt fit me so thats where i messed up.

Dont get caught up in the roleplay bit of it like i do trying to imagine a character unless your decisive and can pull the trigger on something you like, im indecisive so i panic when i get to the name part. I lost my first character because i spent all night making names in a notepad and the downtime deleted him lol.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#20 - 2016-12-01 10:17:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
I'm the wrong person to ask, but ...

Caldari names tend to have an Asian influence.

Example: Shingen Yashida

EDIT: ::laugh:: that name was taken only last week.