These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

War for Attackers

First post
Author
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#121 - 2016-11-28 19:32:20 UTC
The Devils Cousin wrote:
As I said, bitter little griefers who can't use link alts and are now getting there asses handed to them

go go

love it,

your tears on here, the hatred, the sarcasm, gives me more than enough reason to keep posting

Why can't links be used exactly?

There is nothing about the boosting changes that prevents hem being used at all.
Piugattuk
Litla Sundlaugin
#122 - 2016-11-28 19:46:22 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Well, personally, my only problem with war right now is defenders dropping corp and making new corps. I don't think that should be allowed. Normally, if two countries go to war, the defending side can't just change their name and have the war go away.

"Sorry Germany, you can't attack us today because we are not France anymore. We are Freedomville"

Play on alts or learn to fight back, or hide. But closing corps and creating a new one should be no-go.

By your own post you suggest "hide" by dropping Corp they are doing exactly that, problem many people face is that there are FAR too many blanket dec's out there, they just go through the roller decks of info out there then spend millions deccing several corporations at once in the hopes of getting a few kills, then proudly fly around posting kills in local, on their bio's, etc, if you did all that the OP suggests then eve will turn into a giant fukushima fest.

I've seen people meeting up for nightly roams, they head out of empire and just blap everything they can, they go into PL area and they get blapped by a blob, point is there is plenty of PVP most of these random decs are just because they want easy no risk kills, and that is the worst poser PVP'er of all, because they are not really, they are griefers in my opinion.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#123 - 2016-11-28 19:47:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lasisha Mishi wrote:

random idea to make defenders want to defend

idea from FW
when you kill an attacker from corp who war dec'd you. you get LP based on what ship it was (like in FW)

only applies for the defenders.....as otherwise high sec gankers would just continue to war dec everyone.

good idea? maybe not....but its an idea to encourage defenders. and thus make attackers 2nd guess if they want to dec war as they don't get LP for killing, and the enemy will actually be encouraged to fight back

One of the more original ideas to be posted, however thinking of ways this could be exploited, how do you stop it becoming an LP farm?

Based on what is outlined so far, it would be possible to make an alt Corp, use that Corp to wardec the main Corp and then farm LP all day.
The Devils Cousin
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#124 - 2016-11-28 19:48:43 UTC
Piugattuk wrote:
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Well, personally, my only problem with war right now is defenders dropping corp and making new corps. I don't think that should be allowed. Normally, if two countries go to war, the defending side can't just change their name and have the war go away.

"Sorry Germany, you can't attack us today because we are not France anymore. We are Freedomville"

Play on alts or learn to fight back, or hide. But closing corps and creating a new one should be no-go.

By your own post you suggest "hide" by dropping Corp they are doing exactly that, problem many people face is that there are FAR too many blanket dec's out there, they just go through the roller decks of info out there then spend millions deccing several corporations at once in the hopes of getting a few kills, then proudly fly around posting kills in local, on their bio's, etc, if you did all that the OP suggests then eve will turn into a giant fukushima fest.

I've seen people meeting up for nightly roams, they head out of empire and just blap everything they can, they go into PL area and they get blapped by a blob, point is there is plenty of PVP most of these random decs are just because they want easy no risk kills, and that is the worst poser PVP'er of all, because they are not really, they are griefers in my opinion.

******* spot on, I dont do empire pvp, i do it in null n lo as my videos show, i lead fleets, i get kills, we get nbailed but i always have fun and we dont attack miners in high sec

these idiots are not pvpers

CCP Please Don't Do This..

The Respawn Expansion

Lasisha Mishi
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#125 - 2016-11-28 19:54:37 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Lasisha Mishi wrote:

random idea to make defenders want to defend

idea from FW
when you kill an attacker from corp who war dec'd you. you get LP based on what ship it was (like in FW)

only applies for the defenders.....as otherwise high sec gankers would just continue to war dec everyone.

good idea? maybe not....but its an idea to encourage defenders. and thus make attackers 2nd guess if they want to dec war as they don't get LP for killing, and the enemy will actually be encouraged to fight back

One of the more original ideas to be posted, however thinking of ways this could be exploited, how do you stop it becoming an LP farm?

Based on what is outlined so far, it would be possible to make an alt Corp, use that Corp to wardec the main Corp and then farm LP all day.

same way as you do in FW

the isk to LP ratio is less than the LP earned from the ship

and LP you get is based off the ship. not entirely sure the exact numbers, but it works out in the end for FW without being exploitable (bit like ship insurance and bounty payouts. what you get is less than ship's worth)
Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#126 - 2016-11-28 19:55:37 UTC
Jennifer Starblaze wrote:

Thanks for making me laugh with that statement about corp tax though. Gonna keep that one in mind.

"Lower corp taxes are not a benefit, because you donĀ“t have lower taxes as soon as you leave the corp," - ROFL.

Please immediately obtain a lawyer and commence legal proceedings against your countries education system. They failed you very badly.

The CSM gets in the way of CCP communicating properly with the players of this game.

After all we are not just players, we are customers.

Time for the CSM to be disbanded.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#127 - 2016-11-28 20:04:04 UTC
Lasisha Mishi wrote:
same way as you do in FW

the isk to LP ratio is less than the LP earned from the ship

and LP you get is based off the ship. not entirely sure the exact numbers, but it works out in the end for FW without being exploitable (bit like ship insurance and bounty payouts. what you get is less than ship's worth)

It's an interesting idea (but I'm no game designer) and would be worth a thread in F&I to look at it more and calculate some example LP rewards based on some war reports.

Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#128 - 2016-11-28 20:15:53 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
If the rules allow me to drop corp, then I will drop corp, and you will not be able to shoot me.
If the rules say I cannot drop corp, or the war follows me, then I will not undock, or not log in for the duration. Result: same as now, you will not be able to shoot me.

I think most serious high-sec war players are completely okay with that. Drop corp, stay in an NPC corp, don't undock - whatever floats your boat mate. Some people will mock you for it, taunt you, try to make you undock, but that's just their attempt at psychological warfare.

For me the problem is that the current system makes it very difficult to actively search and pursue targets, and encourages suicide ganking and "hubhumping" as it's apparently being called now as the most effective tactics by far for those who prefer to PvP in hisec. If you just drop corp, that's kind of a meh outcome, but not the worst. Really, if you really wanted to annoy me, you'd just not login for the duration of the war, except to jumpclone to a different station once a day. That way, I have no way to tell if you are even playing the game except for spending half an hour flying to wherever you jumped to and check if you show up in local. And that's just a silly mechanic. With this mechanic in place, just declaring war on 50 different corps and waiting for them to run into my all-day gatecamp at some point starts looking like the better option.

A good way to fix this however would not be to just nerf those playstyles, but encourage players interested in highsec PvP to hunt, gather intel, be active instead of just declaring war on everybody and their mother and wait somewhere on the Jita-Amarr pipe for unobservant pilots to fly into a gatecamp. I still consider that a valid playstyle, but it shouldn't be the most effective one in highsec.
Lasisha Mishi
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#129 - 2016-11-28 20:34:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Lasisha Mishi
Neuntausend wrote:
[quote=Vincent Athena]
A good way to fix this however would not be to just nerf those playstyles, but encourage players interested in highsec PvP to hunt, gather intel, be active instead of just declaring war on everybody and their mother and wait somewhere on the Jita-Amarr pipe for unobservant pilots to fly into a gatecamp. I still consider that a valid playstyle, but it shouldn't be the most effective one in highsec.

question, what about those players not interested in pvp who are in highsec?

also, players who are interested in PvP, why would they be in highsec? when lowsec is the place you go for PvP.
the only people in highsec are those who are not interested in PvP at the time. Gankers might claim to be pvpers, but they only shoot those who don't have a chance to fight back.

thats the thing i just don't understand. these people who say they are "creating content" in highsec......by dragging something designed for lowsec into highsec (FW has suffered alot due to people not pvping in lowsec....every high sec ganker is a person who isn't creating content for FW, and thus murdering PvP)

i understand there are a few legit wardecs for corps who are truely at war (usually in nullsec) and who want to attack members of the enemy corp even in highsec.
and for that, wardec is fine

FW gets it by default with no need to wardec as war target is already set up regardless of where i go.

but overall, the spamming of wardecs, and ganking of carebears(i say carebears, not people linked to nullsec entities) just takes potential PvP content away from the game. (and i feel this majorly in FW as during the european prime time....Caldari space around me is basically empty of caldari forces.....and yet gallente are all over. then come NA prime time, caldari everywhere and decent fights all around as it should be.

imagine if all the highsec gankers and wardec spammers entered FW. how much content would be created. (they don't even need to stay in lowsec. go highsec and kill enemy faction gate guns or security craft. hunt the enemy FW players who are in their empire's highsec. )

plus, when you enter a FW corp, any from the enemy faction can attack you anywhere. including highsec. its pvp done right. cause the only people in a FW corp are those who want to fight, even in highsec.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#130 - 2016-11-28 20:34:44 UTC
Epoch Veli wrote:
Gavascon wrote:
well, CCP......maybe it's time to do something for those who like to declare war.

after all, you have done a lot for defenders.
i.e.: ally system and the loss of a watch list.

The loss of a watchlist helps the offender as much as it does the defender. The ally system allows people to bring in their friends fairly instead of having them neutral rep. As it is, I would say high sec wardeccers have it plenty easy. They build their corp to do one thing, and as with ships in EVE, being built for one thing allows you to do it very well. You do clean up corps that have not performed for their members, and for that New Eden should thank you. I am worried that corps that may have grown given time are preyed on by the big fish, but if a corp folds because of a dec, then it was never meant to stand. I would like to see wars be more objective based. With the dec, an objective is declared and a concession made. IE: The war ends when a particular structure is destroyed, and the offense loses if X number of ships are lost. That would give the defense something to rally on, and a clear goal that they can achieve. As it is, so many wars are just to terrorize people on market hubs.

Strictly Mechanically speaking, allies are neutral, if you rep an Allie with a PvP timer you go suspect.
Kojee
Safety Set To Red
Train Wreck.
#131 - 2016-11-28 20:43:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Kojee
I don't like the idea of a war following a specific person, but I do like the idea of disallowing war dodging. I have my indy alts, so I has feels for the rest of you carebears out there. Back in the day, war dodging was considered bannable... dunno what the story is now.

In either case, I think the OP is going about it the wrong way (probably in order to get more targets.... fair Pirate). I think the better solution would be to have a cooldown timer on leaving corp if you have a dec dropped on you, similar to how you have a cooldown on dropping roles. I'd say the length should probably be 48 hours, minimum, to cover the 24 hour warm up time for the war going active, and then 24 hours worth of target time on whatever characters want to bail. No weird edge cases with people shifting corps here and there, NPC corps, etc.; no ridiculously one-sided buff, and still keeps players at least partially accountable for wars.

That being said, I do also think the wardec system is ridiculously abused. It is very cheap and easy to start a war on 10 random corps coming in and out of market hubs just to get kills for a week. I would love to see it used more for legitimate tactical reasons only, i.e. shutting down logistics backbone for a corp/alliance rather than stopping a small corp of traders/alts by a 4 man gang, which usually ends up being 2 or 3. I don't think just modifying the cost curve would do that.
Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#132 - 2016-11-28 20:55:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Lady Ayeipsia
Lasisha Mishi wrote:
Neuntausend wrote:
[quote=Vincent Athena]

also, players who are interested in PvP, why would they be in highsec? when lowsec is the place you go for PvP.
the only people in highsec are those who are not interested in PvP at the time. Gankers might claim to be pvpers, but they only shoot those who don't have a chance to fight back.

thats the thing i just don't understand. these people who say they are "creating content" in highsec......by dragging something designed for lowsec into highsec (FW has suffered alot due to people not pvping in lowsec....every high sec ganker is a person who isn't creating content for FW, and thus murdering PvP)

i understand there are a few legit wardecs for corps who are truely at war (usually in nullsec) and who want to attack members of the enemy corp even in highsec.

FW gets it by default with no need to wardec as war target is already set up regardless of where i go.

but overall, the spamming of wardecs, and ganking of carebears(i say carebears, not people linked to nullsec entities) just takes potential PvP content away from the game. (and i feel this majorly in FW as during the european prime time....Caldari space around me is basically empty of caldari forces.....and yet gallente are all over. then come NA prime time, caldari everywhere and decent fights all around as it should be.

imagine if all the highsec gankers and wardec spammers entered FW. how much content would be created. (they don't even need to stay in lowsec. go highsec and kill enemy faction gate guns or security craft. hunt the enemy FW players who are in their empire's highsec. )

plus, when you enter a FW corp, any from the enemy faction can attack you anywhere. including highsec. its pvp done right. cause the only people in a FW corp are those who want to fight, even in highsec.

There are several flaws in the logic above. To begin with, EVE is a PvP game. There is no spot safe from PvP, just places where the requirements to engage in PvP change. Yes, in hi sec the circumstances are the most restrictive but PvP is allowed and intended by game design.

For example, you need PvP to claim any of the existing POCOs, and trust me, there are lucrative hi sec POCOs out there. Before you had citadels and the Indy revamp, POSes where also a source for PvP. Moons were limited and if you wanted a moon that had a POS up, you had to take it. Now with citadels, you need PvP to kill them, otherwise everyone could throw up a citadel without fear. So PvP is a part of hi sec. This is something that must be accepted. Saying that hi sec should be free of PvP would require major changes such as the elimination of all hi sec POCOs, POSes, and citadels.

Oh and to a different poster... There is no cooldownon dropping Corp anymore. You may drop roles if you wish to transfer from one player Corp to another. However you can drop to an NPC Corp at anytime and then join another player Corp.
Lasisha Mishi
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#133 - 2016-11-28 20:57:45 UTC
Kojee wrote:
I don't like the idea of a war following a specific person, but I do like the idea of disallowing war dodging. I have my indy alts, so I have feels forthe rest of you carebears out there. Back in the day, war dodging was considered bannable... dunno what the story is now.

In either case, I think the OP is going about it the wrong way (probably in order to get more targets.... fair Pirate). I think the better solution would be to have a cooldown timer on leaving corp if you have a dec dropped on you, similar to how you have a cooldown on dropping roles. I'd say the length should probably be 48 hours, minimum, to cover the 24 hour warm up time for the war going active, and then 24 hours worth of target time on whatever characters want to bail. No weird edge cases with people shifting corps here and there, NPC corps, etc.; no ridiculously one-sided buff, and still keeps players at least partially accountable for wars.

that wouldn't help

that would jsut mean they don't undock till the cooldown is done.

and would just play alts.

as people have stated over and over. if people don't want to be murdered by the giant ass gank fleet sitting outside their station, they simply won't play.

if it becomes a common occurance. they might leave the game.....which is a loss for CCP. and for the real PvP community, as that player might one day have gotten into PvP in their own time.

heck i'm an example of that. it took me a long time to get into PvP, i only went into FW when i felt ready.(and thats after a failed nullsec corp experience)

had i been forced into it by the constant war decs(and this cooldown you mention), i would have left.
hell i nearly did, its only me getting this char that prevented me.

i used to have an older character (25mill SP) who move through 15 corps over the course of 2 months. all of them 8-26 person small corps. and all of them war decced soon after i went into jita. (operated out of jita back then. this was september last year to december)

so i stuck to NPC corps for a month(freaking 10% tax...and not appealing to not be "clan mates" with friends)

joined a corp....and immediately got war decced.
frustrated, sold the character to the CEO of the corp and prepared to quit.

quit for 2 weeks, made a new char, saw this char. bought it. was still tempted to not return.
thankfully the spam had died down (for me) at that point.

if the spam had continued, well playign the game out of a NPC corp doesn't build that sense of "comradeship" i like.

in short, if someone doesn't want to PvP, and they stick to highsec. then they won't. they'll leave corp, and if they can't do that cause a "cooldown". they'll quit.
Lasisha Mishi
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#134 - 2016-11-28 21:00:56 UTC
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:

There are several flaws in the logic above. To begin with, EVE is a PvP game. There is no spot safe from PvP, just places where the requirements to engage in PvP change. Yes, in hi sec the circumstances are the most restrictive but PvP is allowed and intended by game design.

For example, you need PvP to claim any of the existing POCOs, and trust me, there are lucrative hi sec POCOs out there. Before you had citadels and the Indy revamp, POSes where also a source for PvP. Moons were limited and if you wanted a moon that had a POS up, you had to take it. Now with citadels, you need PvP to kill them, otherwise everyone could throw up a citadel without fear. So PvP is a part of hi sec. This is something that must be accepted. Saying that hi sec should be free of PvP would require major changes such as the elimination of all hi sec POCOs, POSes, and citadels.

Oh and to a different poster... There is no cooldownon dropping Corp anymore. You may drop roles if you wish to transfer from one player Corp to another. However you can drop to an NPC Corp at anytime and then join another player Corp.

not saying it should be free of pvp

what i'm sayign is people need to stop trying to force pvp onto highsec anymore than it is now.

if you turn highsec into lowsec (which these war dec spammers seem to be trying to do). then people not ready for pvp, or who find little appeal in it. will leave.

pvp in highsec should be as it is now, minus the war dec spam(war dec is fine. specially for those who own valuable pocos and such. but spamming it on everyone to go into jita. no)
Kojee
Safety Set To Red
Train Wreck.
#135 - 2016-11-28 21:01:07 UTC
Lasisha Mishi wrote:

had i been forced into it by the constant war decs(and this cooldown you mention), i would have left.
hell i nearly did, its only me getting this char that prevented me.

I think you missed the bit about adjusting the cost curve - what I probably didn't express clearly enough is I do think the cost needs to be adjusted to make it more prohibitive to wardec spamming, but not enough to completely throw wars out as valid gameplay tactics.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#136 - 2016-11-28 21:09:30 UTC
The Devils Cousin wrote:
******* spot on, I dont do empire pvp, i do it in null n lo as my videos show, i lead fleets, i get kills, we get nbailed but i always have fun and we dont attack miners in high sec

these idiots are not pvpers

Well not everyone is cut out for elite Highsec PvP. Maybe in a few years if you get your anger issues in check and train a lot. I mean your killboard, lol.
Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#137 - 2016-11-28 21:29:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Neuntausend
Lasisha Mishi wrote:

What about players who aren't interested in PvE/Industry/Trade who live wherever? Why am I being forced to make money to buy the ships while being at the mercy of industrials/traders when all I want to do is blow up ships? I'm not being serious, of course - I completely accept that I cannot just completely opt out of three major parts of the game. Everything in Eve is interwoven one way or another. But the same is the case for players not interested in PvP - they can try to avoid it to the best of their abilities, but they cannot just opt out.

Again - I am perfectly fine with people just dropping corp if they don't want to fight. That way the opposing party can see what's up and just move on. This works both against those who actively hunt , and those who prefer to hubhump all day, but of course it also means to forgo the right to set taxes, have structures, offices and so on. But as I said before - Eve is a game where a claim to special privileges can be challenged, and if a corp is not willing or able to fight for those privileges it should not have them.

Lasisha Mishi wrote:
the only people in highsec are those who are not interested in PvP at the time.

<<--merging those two to stay within the 5-quote-limit-->>

See, you just defined Hisec as a no-PvP-zone, and I can't tell where you got that idea.

This is a very narrow mindset. Who said that Losec is the only place to PvP in Eve? There's PvP of all different kinds in Hi, Lo, Null and Wormhole Space, and each of those has a different set of rules and allows for different playstyles. The interesting part of Hisec is, that there's a very strict set of rules. In Lo, Null and Wormhole Space, everyone who is not blue, green or purple can shoot you. In Hisec you can ignore the majority of players and concentrate on those you want to kill. Chasing a target half way through empire space, losing him and picking back up the scent can be quite thrilling, as can be running away, trying to lure your pursuers into a trap. But with no way of telling whether the person you are chasing or running from is even still online this has gotten much less worthwhile.

People *want* to PvP in Hisec, and CCP keeps encouraging them by preaching that no place is safe in New Eden. The increase in hubhumping and ganking is in parts at least a symptom of changes that have been made to the hunting playstyle, but they are by no means the only playstyle possible in hisec.

Lasisha Mishi wrote:
Gankers might claim to be pvpers, but they only shoot those who don't have a chance to fight back.

Gankers *are* PvPers. They are playing against other players. Whether those are willing or able to shoot back does not change that fact. Now, I personally am not too fond of the ganking playstyle, and I rarely take part in it, but it is a valid playstyle nonetheless, and yes, it is PvP.

Lasisha Mishi wrote:

Well, in my book, about everyone engaging in player interactions of any kind creates content. Ganking encourages players to think about their fits and fly with a friend who can web their freighter into warp, hubhumpers encourage scouting and finding alternate routes, and hunters encourage the use of mecenary services which in turn makes hunting much more interesting.

Lasisha Mishi wrote:

Quite the contrary, wars create PvP content. Mercenary-type gameplay wouldn't even exist if wardecs weren't a thing. Players focused on the high sec hunter/mercenary playstyle wouldn't just pour into FW were wardecs not a thing, just like players who want to mine in highsec wouldn't just go to lowsec if highsec was taken away. Most of them would probably just stop playing because their playstyle doesn't exist.

While still limited to two groups, FW - even in Hisec simply is not the same. If I declare war on a corporation in Hisec, I know this corp, and I want to deal with this corp specifically. Maybe because I don't like the CEOs face, maybe because I don't like them being in my turf, maybe because I get paid to try and murder them. Whatever the case may be, I am not fighting a random nobody who just happened to click a button to join a faceless crowd of people fighting in an artificially created tug of war.

And my point of criticism is that exactly this smallscale playstyle (as opposed to hubhumping/ganking) has been made very difficult and barely worthwhile over the last couple of years.
Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#138 - 2016-11-28 21:30:20 UTC
What is the difference between a merc Corp spamming war decs on everyone vs my Indy Corp hiring mercs to prevent your Corp from having access to the Jita hub because we want to drive you out of business? From the your perspective both are war decs from Jita campers that cause hinderance and problems. You may not even be able to tell which is occuring.

So perhaps there should be a limit... But that limit needs to be fairly high to begin with so mercs can ply their trade.

What about a CEO skill... Based on the skill, you gain X additional war decs?
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#139 - 2016-11-28 21:42:27 UTC
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
What is the difference between a merc Corp spamming war decs on everyone vs my Indy Corp hiring mercs to prevent your Corp from having access to the Jita hub because we want to drive you out of business? From the your perspective both are war decs from Jita campers that cause hinderance and problems. You may not even be able to tell which is occuring.

So perhaps there should be a limit... But that limit needs to be fairly high to begin with so mercs can ply their trade.

I hear this argument brought up a lot in these kinds of threads- miners hiring mercs to drive competitors out of business.
It sounds really cool and would restore some faith in humanity if these things occurred regularly, it's just...this sounds so out of character for every miner I have ever met in this game. Does it really happen that often?

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#140 - 2016-11-28 21:48:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Neuntausend
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:

Again - don't nerf the hubhumpers. Make it so that being active and mobile in a war can be just as effective and the hubhumpers may just stop sitting in a pipe all day, because while this can be fun if done every now and then, it gets boring over time. Reducing the number of active wars possible would only be treating symptoms.

Also - the difference may not always be felt for the target of a wardec, especially if it remains passive about it, but it surely will be felt by the attacker. Just spamming wars so you don't run out of targets to shoot is a wholly different matter than knowing who your targets are and why you are shooting them.