These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Paying to play Alpha clones?

First post First post
Author
Punctator
Blackwater Task Forces
Goonswarm Federation
#41 - 2016-11-17 11:56:26 UTC
anyway eve offline tell us who is right who is wrong here.
Jahar Makanen
Last Stand Enterprises
Sixth Empire
#42 - 2016-11-17 12:16:06 UTC
I liked play again as alpha clone.

I remembered how it was fun and just signed for a year.. hehe

damn.. it was like put a drop of alchol in the mouth of a addicted person after a year clean
Akrasjel Lanate
Lanate Industries
#43 - 2016-11-17 14:08:20 UTC
Alpha Clones = Unlimited Trial

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Sagara Mithril
Cro-Magnons
Cavemen.
#44 - 2016-11-17 14:45:01 UTC
I would rather pay certain quantity of real money to unlock skills of your choosing.
Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#45 - 2016-11-17 14:59:40 UTC
Jaquete Aivoras wrote:
Imagine this:

A full fleet of cruisers being controlled by one player in PvP low/null sec. (One person alone decides to gate camp a system with his alpha alts.)
A full fleet of ventures mining out a whole system for one player.
A full fleet of relatively cheap cruisers suicide gank one expensive ship of an enemy in high sec.
One player hauls goods and offers themselves protection at the same time with their alt accounts.
etc.
etc.
etc.

There is so many reasons why they limited it to one alpha client at a time. With free to play also comes the possibility for massive abuse of the system, this limit prevents that abuse.

Edit: I have also heard that multiboxing on omega accounts will soon be disallowed as well.

that edit of yours, I really hope so. make the galaxy have to actually rely on others for once.

and also I picked this up.

From the EULA :

"2. YOUR ACCOUNT

You may establish more than one Account for each copy of the Software licensed. You are however not allowed to play EVE by using more than one Account at the same time, unless you pay a subscription fee for each of the Accounts you intend to use for that purpose."

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Lucy Lollipops
State War Academy
Caldari State
#46 - 2016-11-17 15:07:37 UTC
I suppose the future will be like that:

Alphas pressing all time to have their chars similar to Omegas without pay the subscriptions, complaining all time.

Omegas stating they will drop subscription as soon as they feel Alphas are leeching too muc while they pay for Alphas fun.

In the middle there will be the fact now most game resources are shared between Alphas and Omegas with the big difference Omegas pay real money every month while Alphas don't..
Zoubidah Al-Kouffarde
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#47 - 2016-11-17 17:19:53 UTC
Punctator wrote:
anyway eve offline tell us who is right who is wrong here.

Jeb! surge

"You would not be the first "ganker aligned" player to be found to having some issues. Here's a dark secret: there are some in AG who, because of battling gankers, have managed to get to know a few of them, found they had issues, and helped them" HW

Mourdeeb
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#48 - 2016-11-17 21:29:11 UTC
I'm Glad to see CCP offer a F2P option. I was hoping they would evolve to a system that allowed players to pay for additional content, kind of like Upgrading your Clone. I remember years ago, there was a long list of clone upgrades, so they could integrate the system along those lines.
Having an Alpha Clone, and Pay for the Skills to train, BCs, and T2 Guns. Etc. Upgrade the Clones incrementally, and have the players pay for each upgrade. This will allow more casual players to invest in the game, but not be held to a monthly subscription.
CCP gets paid, players advance at their own pace, paying for Content as they go. Everyone wins!
Other MMO's have a similar system of adding content as you go, and it works great. DDO for example has players pay extra for additional dungeons that are standard for Subscribers, but casual players can pay $20 for an unlock.
This way it avoids being a Pay to play, since all they are paying for is the unlock of normally available skills, not equipment, or other perks.

How about it CCP??? What do you guys think?

Sincerely,
Mourdeeb

HUGE fan since 2007!!!
Starrakatt
Celtic Anarchy
Dead Terrorists
#49 - 2016-11-18 11:49:20 UTC
Paladin Genghis Khanid wrote:

A F2P model includes micro transactions that help improve your experience. You can chose to invest in certain aspects of the game, but not pay for all of it. CCP should be aiming to make some money off of alphas. To just give you this crappy skill set and tell you you're just stuck with this forever is not a proper F2P model. It's a "we need more fodder to keep the Omegas busy" model.
Many, many F2P models are in fact Pay-to-Win - And in these cases, micro-transaction are what make them Pay-to_win.

Personally I know that if I could have unlimited/skilled Omega accounts running, I'd gank the crap out off my war targets because I could.

Mourdeeb wrote:

I'm Glad to see CCP offer a F2P option. I was hoping they would evolve to a system that allowed players to pay for additional content, kind of like Upgrading your Clone. I remember years ago, there was a long list of clone upgrades, so they could integrate the system along those lines.
Having an Alpha Clone, and Pay for the Skills to train, BCs, and T2 Guns. Etc. Upgrade the Clones incrementally, and have the players pay for each upgrade. This will allow more casual players to invest in the game, but not be held to a monthly subscription.
CCP gets paid, players advance at their own pace, paying for Content as they go. Everyone wins!
Other MMO's have a similar system of adding content as you go, and it works great. DDO for example has players pay extra for additional dungeons that are standard for Subscribers, but casual players can pay $20 for an unlock.
This way it avoids being a Pay to play, since all they are paying for is the unlock of normally available skills, not equipment, or other perks.

Paying for exclusive 'dunjeons' mess with the sandbox concept though. Also, paying $$$ to get SP packs so one can upgrade skills to access T2 mods, better/bigger ships kind of defeat the purpose of limited SP Alpha Clones.

Driven to the extreme, it wouldn't be long that we would see F2P Caps and Supercap pilots.
Jaxon Grylls
Institute of Archaeology
#50 - 2016-11-18 12:02:31 UTC
Bozze wrote:
thank you for that completely useless reply...

It's not that the reply is useless, it hits the nail right on the head.

It's just that you don't like the answer.

Balance is everything in an MMRPG. Lose that and you'll soon lose your customers as well. Unlimited Alpha clone use posed a threat of severely unbalancing the game so CCP stopped it before it started to the benefit of us all, Alphas or Omegas.
Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#51 - 2016-11-24 12:14:03 UTC
Mourdeeb wrote:

Sincerely,
Mourdeeb

HUGE fan since 2007!!!

no you get access to all "content" simply by entering the EvE universe,. Advancing at your own rate is simply rather your train skills or not, nothing says you have to train skills constantly. The only problem with paying CCP any money is the projects they start and walk away from because "programming is hard" or they don't want to do what players would like such as standard MMOs have a button to return you to character selection that they refuse to do as quoted "it would take a handful of devs 6 months for a 15 sec advantage" and now with the release of Alpha accounts they said "alpha accounts are restricted to balance the game" and have noted that they wish to do the same to Omega accounts, im trying to source that blog now.

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Suroh Kurvora
Foxes and Kitties and Fun
#52 - 2016-11-24 12:49:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Suroh Kurvora
Bozze wrote:
Ah...where to start?

I was so happy to get back into the game after a long absence. I was a bit shocked by just how much the Alpha clones are limited but I think I can adjust. In the past I had 3 accounts I paid for so I could run a decent mining operation. I can now play each of these accounts for free. I can't use them like I used to though since my Hulks and Orca are beyond the reach of an Alpha Clone. Still, I can use my smaller ships to play the game and see if I really want to get back into it like I was.

Or not...

I had one character in the game and when I try to login a second account I get a message saying it violates Alpha Clone state to have more than one account running at the same time. So I can't play multiple alpha clones at the same time? They are separate accounts. I am not trying to log in 2 characters from the same account. So why are we limited like this? If there is a good reason I would like to hear it from the Devs. I am sure other players will have their reasons for not wanting this. Particularly the players still subscribing to the game. But I would like to hear the official reason why this decision was made to limit us even more than the Alpha clones themselves.

Thank you for the completely useless thread, ccp has already stated that only 1 alpha account can be played from any single location at a time.

And rightfully so.
Remiel Pollard
Shock Treatment Ministries
#53 - 2016-11-24 13:06:55 UTC
Bozze wrote:
thank you for that completely useless reply...

That was literally the most informative succinct reply possible, and it's exactly true. One alpha at a time, or people are gonna be multiboxing all the ganks and ore out from under PAYING players. That's exactly the reason. You don't have to like it, but you do have to accept it. If you're using an alpha account, it's one per person at a time ever under all circumstances.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Remiel Pollard
Shock Treatment Ministries
#54 - 2016-11-24 13:08:31 UTC
Bozze wrote:
See...

I knew everyone was going to have an opinion on this. It's why in my original post I stated I wanted to hear from the Devs.

If you wanna hear from the devs, file a ticket. If you post on the forums, you're gonna hear from players whether you want to or not.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Lucy Lollipops
State War Academy
Caldari State
#55 - 2016-11-24 13:47:48 UTC
Mourdeeb wrote:

Sincerely,
Mourdeeb

HUGE fan since 2007!!!

Incremental upgrades cannot work.

Omegas pay every month for a subscription regardless the fact they have 20 or 200 skills.

You stop (now) you're back to alpha. Previously you cannot even login.

So even if a alpha pays 1 dollar per skill for example, he still needs to pay a time-related subscription for being able to use the skills, otherwise it would be a big advantage over Omega.

They could do every player is "frozen" to the skills he has and can play for free with the skills he "paid for", and paying for any new skills, but I think they will never do something like that, too risky....
Punctator
Blackwater Task Forces
Goonswarm Federation
#56 - 2016-11-27 14:12:18 UTC
Roenok Baalnorn
Sadistically Sinister
#57 - 2016-11-27 16:39:24 UTC
Bozze wrote:
Ah...where to start?

I was so happy to get back into the game after a long absence. I was a bit shocked by just how much the Alpha clones are limited but I think I can adjust. In the past I had 3 accounts I paid for so I could run a decent mining operation. I can now play each of these accounts for free. I can't use them like I used to though since my Hulks and Orca are beyond the reach of an Alpha Clone. Still, I can use my smaller ships to play the game and see if I really want to get back into it like I was.

Or not...

I had one character in the game and when I try to login a second account I get a message saying it violates Alpha Clone state to have more than one account running at the same time. So I can't play multiple alpha clones at the same time? They are separate accounts. I am not trying to log in 2 characters from the same account. So why are we limited like this? If there is a good reason I would like to hear it from the Devs. I am sure other players will have their reasons for not wanting this. Particularly the players still subscribing to the game. But I would like to hear the official reason why this decision was made to limit us even more than the Alpha clones themselves.

Imagine if you could have unlimited alpha accounts logged in. I could have a 20 man venture mining fleet made up of me and not pay a penny for it. unlimited scout alts to play with my omegas, unlimited hauling alts. It would be abused thats why its not allowed.
XxRTEKxX
256th Shadow Wing
Phantom-Recon
#58 - 2016-11-27 17:28:17 UTC  |  Edited by: XxRTEKxX
Bozze wrote:
Ah...where to start?

Or not...

The alpha clones are a replacement of the trial accounts. Its meant for new players to experience the game and reach a point where they decide it is worth subscribing to continue their game experience. Allowing multiple alpha accounts on the same PC to be logged in will just create armies of free ganking catalysts, free scouts in any system, free mining hordes etc. Us subscribers didn't want that to happen and CCP sure didn't want it to happen either. You might have good intentions but many players would abuse it.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#59 - 2016-11-28 04:43:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Nat Silverguard
Bozze wrote:
but it's ok to do that if you are willing to pay for them right?

imagine if everybody would do what you want to do and more.

imagine if it was CODE., hundreds of free suicide ganking catalysts.

guess who will whine more? of course it would be the likes of you.

i bet you didn't think that far enough have you? Roll

of course it's ok if you are willing to pay for hundreds of accounts, the question is, can you?!

Just Add Water

Rin Vocaloid2
DUST University
#60 - 2016-11-28 04:56:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Rin Vocaloid2
Nat Silverguard wrote:
Bozze wrote:
but it's ok to do that if you are willing to pay for them right?

imagine if everybody would do what you want to do and more.

imagine if it was CODE., hundreds of free suicide ganking catalysts.

guess who will whine more? of course it would be the likes of you.

i bet you didn't think that far enough have you? Roll

of course it's ok if you are willing to pay for hundreds of accounts, the question is, can you?!

God, the sight of CODE fielding a fleet of a thousand alpha-fit destroyers all controlled by one player...

Sure the ban on multiplexing and multibroadcasting makes it that hard to gank efficiently, but all you need is one hit from every ship to destroy a miner in high-sec even with Concord already on the field if enough ganker ships were present. Imagine an AFK miner coming back after 15 minutes to see his pod drifting in space while surrounded by a mass grave of 1,000 destroyer wrecks all being ninja looted by local scavengers.

PS: If you run military career missions, you can get a free destroyer to cut down your cost. Of course, that would be extremely inefficient.