These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Retina mode

First post
Author
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2016-11-24 16:05:47 UTC
The beta version of the Mac launcher now has a checkbox in Preferences... to enable retina mode in Wine. When checked, EVE clients running in windowed mode run at the full resolution, allowing you to play with a tiny UI if you so prefer.

To try this out, switch to the Beta version type in Preferences and let the launcher update. Then go back to Preferences, check the Retina mode checkbox under Wine options and start a client.

Please post your feedback here - I've only tried this on my machine so far...

See https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6720335#post6720335 for more information on the version types.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

General Vasheir Gonzales
Leukos Psephos
#2 - 2016-11-25 03:50:53 UTC  |  Edited by: General Vasheir Gonzales
Here are a few photos.

*edit to the first sentence* I recreated using my wife's laptop. Seems a first time login bug. Will post more info below *edit* title.

The first issue I cannot forcibly recreate at this moment. I had an issue where the GUI was limited only to the top left quadrant of my screen. After i logged in I attempted to change the resolution to the max 5k option but the mouse remained stuck in that smaller quadrant. That prevented me from accepting the confirmation for the resolution change, and it reverted back.

After I began documenting this and attempted to recreate, login, resolution and mouse boundaries are fine. However, the 5k and 150% GUI is just too small to read (fourth link).

(Sorry for Photobucket links, my personal website is acting up)
First Photo is Mac Details
Second photo shows the quadrant I was talking about. This photo was actually taken after the link below, when the timer couldn't be selected and reverted back to this.
Third Photo is my attempt to update the resolution to 5k

Second Login attempt. Successful GUI but just too small even at 150%.

I will play some tonight on my iMac and my wife's MacBookPro (if she lets me) to determine game play stability.

*edit*

My wife's laptop supports 2048x1280 retina and that at 125% or 150% is doable. 5k GUI scaling needs more than 150% though that's for sure.

Since I knew the issue might occur, I got one of the loading bar info after hitting the play button, the character login, and after attempt to resize the screen again, mouse was stuck in that top left quadrant so I couldn't accept the resolution update and the eve launcher GUI weirded out this time which didn't happen on the iMac.

Photo 1 - laptop info
photo 2 - loading screen prior to character selection
photo 3 - character selection
photo 4 - after attempt to resize and timer expires
photo 5 - launcher after logoff of game

**edit**
Use this as a better perspective as to the UI Scaling at 5k Rez.

Founder & CEO of Leukos Psephos

General Vasheir Gonzales
Leukos Psephos
#3 - 2016-11-25 06:12:53 UTC
And the Pros:

AttentionNo other issuesAttention

Looks fine, tabs in and out fine, did over 20 + jumps to other star systems between the iMac and the laptop, haven't been doing any combat. Only been mining and shopping (speaking of mining, SUPPORT REQUEST #317267).

Founder & CEO of Leukos Psephos

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 - 2016-11-25 10:39:38 UTC
OK, I actually saw this issue with limiting to a quarter of the screen the first time I started up with this setting. Almost abandoned the whole thing, but then I was never able to reproduce it, so it does indeed seem to be a first time thing.

Having it confirmed gives me something to go on to improve this, thanks for the feedback.

I'll poke somebody about the scaling, 150% used to be plenty. Who would ever need more than 150%, right? :)

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Jake Toruk
Broken Halo Industries
#5 - 2016-11-25 14:05:31 UTC
I just tried it and it works great, my retina laptop is much older than the above, I did not have any issues and I love the display at full resolution and scaled to 150%. Here is the specs on my laptop http://i.imgur.com/DydDMue.png. I had no issues jumping, mining or rating.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#6 - 2016-11-25 14:47:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
CCP Snorlax wrote:

I'll poke somebody about the scaling, 150% used to be plenty. Who would ever need more than 150%, right? :)

That would be every Mac user starting from the day "Retina display" was first mentioned in the media.
Really, Truly. I don't have one, but I when I first heard of the retina display, I always wondered how anyone could play eve on it with just 150% scaling.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#7 - 2016-11-25 14:49:59 UTC
I was joking...

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#8 - 2016-11-25 15:08:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
CCP Snorlax wrote:
I was joking...

Really? Then why did you (that is, CCP) not put higher scaling factors on the to-do list the day retina displays were announced, and make sure they were in the UI the day deliveries began? The fact that it had been so long without the higher scaling is an example of why we look at CCP with total frustration on how you can be so out of touch with your customers.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#9 - 2016-11-25 15:56:27 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
CCP Snorlax wrote:
I was joking...

Really? Then why did you (that is, CCP) not put higher scaling factors on the to-do list the day retina displays were announced, and make sure they were in the UI the day deliveries began? The fact that it had been so long without the higher scaling is an example of why we look at CCP with total frustration on how you can be so out of touch with your customers.

Probably a different team which doesn't use a single mac, and thus don't read the mac forums or read the memos from the mac developers.

(not related to this section - CCP Snorlax, there have been a number of log-lite files in our google box which have a large amounts of red and yellow tags since the expansion.)

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#10 - 2016-11-25 16:03:24 UTC
Amarisen Gream wrote:

(not related to this section - CCP Snorlax, there have been a number of log-lite files in our google box which have a large amounts of red and yellow tags since the expansion.)

I know, unfortunately our logs are far from clean, even on Windows.

FearlessLittleToaster
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2016-11-25 16:58:29 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
I know, unfortunately our logs are far from clean, even on Windows.

So does this mean the logs show everything or nothing? As I understand it CCP logs are binary this way. Lol

Or do they show everything which is nothing, or nothing which is everything, and we will have officially departed software development for philosophy....
Bodaaa
Bokkenrijders
#12 - 2016-11-26 01:20:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Bodaaa
It's perfect :) running multiple clients at 2560x1440 windowed. Thank you for giving me my game back lol

I had the same/similar first resolution increase issue (i.e. changing from 1280x to 2560x, while the UI scales up the area where the cursor can move remains 1280x. Quick relaunch of the client fixed it.
Max Singularity
House Singularity
Sixth Empire
#13 - 2016-11-28 04:17:35 UTC
Almost works... I have the same 1/4 launcher on my two side monitors, however when I drag it to my main iMac monitor it resizes. But the big problem is that the mouse can't get to the bottom half of the game screen. At all!!!

Harbinger of Faith His Holiness Maximilian Singularity VI, Pope of New Eden

First Champion House Kador (defeated) - #MagnateGate

Viceroy Interview & Apostle In Amarr

Max Singularity
House Singularity
Sixth Empire
#14 - 2016-11-28 04:20:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Max Singularity
Bodaaa wrote:
It's perfect :) running multiple clients at 2560x1440 windowed. Thank you for giving me my game back lol

I had the same/similar first resolution increase issue (i.e. changing from 1280x to 2560x, while the UI scales up the area where the cursor can move remains 1280x. Quick relaunch of the client fixed it.

Trying that now. Thanks.

Edit: Yep, that fixed the mouse issue. However... my eyes are too old for this. At 150% I'm going to HAVE to return to the other graphics option. :( Also, I was getting 17 fps on a high end system.

Harbinger of Faith His Holiness Maximilian Singularity VI, Pope of New Eden

First Champion House Kador (defeated) - #MagnateGate

Viceroy Interview & Apostle In Amarr

Chidorin Takamori
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2016-11-28 18:09:37 UTC
don't know how it works exactly but seems: in eve it's all in one (window size, game resolution, interface size) with the ability change ui size;
may be look into arma direction where you change window size (with ui proportion and size best for chosen resolution included in this setting) also you have additional ui setting as eve to change ui size (small,normal, big) and have the ability to change game resolution (setting called sampling effecting the quality of the game and performance)