These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Sick of being a FC's Drone

Author
Frostys Virpio
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#41 - 2016-11-25 15:43:41 UTC
Zappity wrote:
You can choose to fill roles other than the F1 'drone', as you call it, in large fleets. Many simply prefer the damage role but you should look at these:

1. Logistics. For some reason this is what the healing class is called in EVE. (Confusingly, actual logistics (moving stuff about) is also very important.) Fleet logi is very important and can be very challenging to do well.

2. Scouting. Be one of the people who scouts ahead of the fleet either looking for targets or making sure there is nothing nasty waiting for the main fleet.

3. Interdiction. Fly interdictors in nullsec to bubble enemy fleets and strategically bubble gates, warp-ins etc.

4. Fast tackle. Self explanatory.

5. Utility. Fly a long-range webbing ship, or long-range tackle.

6. Boosting. Fly a Command Destroyer with the links your fleet needs. This is now an active role.

It is your choice. If you don't have the flexibility to fly these sorts of roles in your corp then leave it and find a better one.

The fact that people forget there are a lot of roles beside "mainline DPS" in large fleet is quite fun.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
#42 - 2016-11-25 15:55:12 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Zappity wrote:
You can choose to fill roles other than the F1 'drone', as you call it, in large fleets. Many simply prefer the damage role but you should look at these:

1. Logistics. For some reason this is what the healing class is called in EVE. (Confusingly, actual logistics (moving stuff about) is also very important.) Fleet logi is very important and can be very challenging to do well.

2. Scouting. Be one of the people who scouts ahead of the fleet either looking for targets or making sure there is nothing nasty waiting for the main fleet.

3. Interdiction. Fly interdictors in nullsec to bubble enemy fleets and strategically bubble gates, warp-ins etc.

4. Fast tackle. Self explanatory.

5. Utility. Fly a long-range webbing ship, or long-range tackle.

6. Boosting. Fly a Command Destroyer with the links your fleet needs. This is now an active role.

It is your choice. If you don't have the flexibility to fly these sorts of roles in your corp then leave it and find a better one.

The fact that people forget there are a lot of roles beside "mainline DPS" in large fleet is quite fun.

I often use to fly my second account as a scout for the FC's too while being DPS, that can really help to get a better understanding of what was going on as often you end up in a scout channel so you see the reports from them too.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

VCBee 2fast2furious
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#43 - 2016-11-25 16:27:28 UTC
Alliances full of special snowflakes who wanted to do their own thing were wiped out by alliances of players who listened to directions.

You're welcome to try and repeat the experiment if you wish.
Katrina Harkonnen
Sisters of Steel
Moist.
#44 - 2016-11-25 17:18:57 UTC
Anyone YouCan wrote:
Any one else sick of just being a glorified drone of the FC in large fleet fights?
Follow the leader, "shoot target blehbleh". "Secondary BlehBleh". "Don't go off anchor BLEH BLEH BLEH". "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY FLEET WITH THAT SHIP"

And my favorite "BROADCAST FOR REPS FASTER YOUR NOT PAYING ATTENTION ENOUGH" When the enemy are locking and alpha'ing our ships off field in under 3 server ticks.

Fix this crap CCP before all these new alphas realize just how crap fleet fights above 10v10 are. EVE is nothing like it's trailers.

It is not CCPs fault, only your own. Who is the fool? The fool, or the fool who follows him?
If you don't like to take orders, why do you CHOOSE to join these corps / fleets / alliances?

I do not like to take orders, that is why I set up my own corp. It is your choice, to do the same.

Sisters of Steel - we are recruiting now!

Cruxov
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#45 - 2016-11-25 20:42:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Cruxov
Let me play Devils advocate here, OP Is it possible what you are saying is that there is not enough wiggle room or variance in how large battles play out, and on top of that that once a large battle starts after the time it takes to get ready, its over in a blink instead of being an "epic" battle?

If so agreed, though Bear in mind I'm no pvper, though I have been in a couple battles and there is definitely a formula to follow. Though That is the nature of this game, I do wish 'for the enjoyment of everyone' that battles would last quite a bit longer and be a bit more epic.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#46 - 2016-11-26 16:36:57 UTC
That's the fun, remember in b-r where you pressed F1 (your doomsday) and returned after 1 hour?

We had the doomsday primary just posted in jabber at some point I think.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Valkyrie Harkonnen
Doomheim
#47 - 2016-11-26 16:43:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Valkyrie Harkonnen
Can't you see what everyone is telling you???

You are in an alliance with a poor skilled FC and the result will be as bad as him. Either you change your alliance or play solo because staying with the guys you play with isn't going to change anything!
Marcus Binchiette
Federal Vanguard
#48 - 2016-11-26 17:20:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Marcus Binchiette
OP. Perhaps you should consider trying to develop different command tactics. As was pointed out there are many other ways of playing the game. But the reason why your fleet battles are so dull is because you fall into the trap of DPS/tank warfare and focus fire. It is entirely possible for you to create a different warfare doctrine. One which is more imaginative.

Why don't you try working on a skirmish and manoeuvre doctrine? Divide your fleet into separate mobility elements and try skirmish warfare. If you move away from the blob warfare, and actually cultivate the ability in your fleet elements, and the ability of your pilots to synchronise their own manoeuvre with the fleet perhaps you can find a different metagame which is more enjoyable and fun?

Another possibility is to combine this with information warfare. ECM, Damps, and ECM Bursts. Circle the enemy blob with multiple squadrons.. Try operating as that 10 man fleet which you so enjoy, and then try coordinating that with 3 or 4 equally capable 10 man fleets and you might be able to create something fun and interesting.

If you can create an effective fleet which allows individual initiative you will have a much more enjoyable experience... Who knows? You might even be more effective. It's up to you.
Bjorn Tyrson
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#49 - 2016-11-26 18:18:24 UTC
Marcus Binchiette wrote:
OP. Perhaps you should consider trying to develop different command tactics. As was pointed out there are many other ways of playing the game. But the reason why your fleet battles are so dull is because you fall into the trap of DPS/tank warfare and focus fire. It is entirely possible for you to create a different warfare doctrine. One which is more imaginative.

Why don't you try working on a skirmish and manoeuvre doctrine? Divide your fleet into separate mobility elements and try skirmish warfare. If you move away from the blob warfare, and actually cultivate the ability in your fleet elements, and the ability of your pilots to synchronise their own manoeuvre with the fleet perhaps you can find a different metagame which is more enjoyable and fun?

Another possibility is to combine this with information warfare. ECM, Damps, and ECM Bursts. Circle the enemy blob with multiple squadrons.. Try operating as that 10 man fleet which you so enjoy, and then try coordinating that with 3 or 4 equally capable 10 man fleets and you might be able to create something fun and interesting.

If you can create an effective fleet which allows individual initiative you will have a much more enjoyable experience... Who knows? You might even be more effective. It's up to you.

This sounds like an amazingly fun idea. And it would probably be effective as hell if you could pull it together.
I think the only reason why it doesn't get used more is because it's a lot harder to pull together 40 half competent people than it is to find 40 people who are capable of pressing 2 buttons in a specific order.

I think the problem is that too many groups have given up even trying to find those competent pilots and just shove everyone into the f1 monkey role because it is the lowest common denominator. Which means it will take a solid push by individual pilots to find those groups and put them together. Large alliance fleet fcs have much more on their plate and aren't going to do it for you.

Aka. This is eve. Make your own damn fun
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
Brave Collective
#50 - 2016-11-27 02:13:41 UTC
Puss 1n Boots wrote:
Soldiers win battles in wars yet generals are the one that get remembered..

Your culturally embedded scripts are showing. Up until WWII the idea of the nameless citizen soldier risking his life for his country was considered worthy and admirable. Generals and leadership were esteemed because of the massive responsibility involved. WWI officers shooting themselves in the head after watching previously unheard-of numbers of young men get minced by new weapons.
Towards the end of WWII came the idea of the celebrity soldier, they chose Audie Murphy, who with his Garand was supposedly responsible for a higher number of enemy deaths than any other combat soldier. He played cowboys in movies for years after.
Less reported is that he woke up crying and screaming after going to bed with a pistol under his pillow, would drink, beat his wife and roam the streets picking fights with adolescents. In his memoir he describes encountering a blackened, red-eyed, hostile looking thing in a burned-out building during the war. A moment of confusion before he realised he was looking at a mirror.
Soldiers are remembered as a group, individuals remember individual soldiers.

TLDR If you want to play an important part in a giant battle without direction or organisation hindering you, i wish you the very best of luck.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Anyone YouCan
Doomheim
#51 - 2016-11-27 02:35:29 UTC
basically for some unknown reasons there are people who will defend poor mechanics until their dying breath. Even though everyone else disagrees with them. They come from every angle saying either it's a sandbox it's not CCPs fault through to totally bias opinions. Even when you can go into the mass public outside of their box and get a specific testament telling them otherwise. they will then say well go find a different game.

The fact is Eve is a Spaceship game. It should not be playing like a WORLD OF WARCRAFT CLONE with Healer, tanks and ranger class. There was a time when Eve did not have Logistics ships or big fleet of thousands and no doctrines. It was better. It was more fun. And it felt more like spaceships. Eve will suffer as long as the current large fleet mechanics remain the same.
CCP like it or not can force this to change and should. Large fleet fights should be chaotic and Crazy and fun. Not dancing around each others blop picking off one at a time.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#52 - 2016-11-27 04:00:44 UTC
Anyone YouCan wrote:
basically for some unknown reasons there are people who will defend poor mechanics until their dying breath. Even though everyone else disagrees with them. They come from every angle saying either it's a sandbox it's not CCPs fault through to totally bias opinions. Even when you can go into the mass public outside of their box and get a specific testament telling them otherwise. they will then say well go find a different game.

The fact is Eve is a Spaceship game. It should not be playing like a WORLD OF WARCRAFT CLONE with Healer, tanks and ranger class. There was a time when Eve did not have Logistics ships or big fleet of thousands and no doctrines. It was better. It was more fun. And it felt more like spaceships. Eve will suffer as long as the current large fleet mechanics remain the same.
CCP like it or not can force this to change and should. Large fleet fights should be chaotic and Crazy and fun. Not dancing around each others blop picking off one at a time.

again how?

Just Add Water

Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#53 - 2016-11-27 04:20:26 UTC
Anyone YouCan wrote:
Because sooner or later people get sick of this being the END game..

I think your biggest problem is the fact that you consider this the end game.

Being a grunt in a blob is as far from the end game as the newbie currently running the NPE.

While EvE has no real end game as it has so many parts, there will always be winners and losers. Being a member of the Blob gives you bragging rights for the real actions of those above you and sticks you in the loser pile.

The only way CCP could alter the blobs would be to completely remove sovereignty. Which I personally like as they have spent to long listening to the Null sec lobby group called the CSM and given to much to Null sec, even though the majority of people live in Hi-sec.

Other than that you have to take responsibility for your own actions, you have refused to take the training wheels off EvE, so you have the kiddies version.

The CSM gets in the way of CCP communicating properly with the players of this game.

After all we are not just players, we are customers.

Time for the CSM to be disbanded.

Gogela
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#54 - 2016-11-27 07:28:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Gogela
Pfft. I got sick of that too. Now I just gank people in high sec. The pay is better and you don't need permission to do a damn thing. Break your chains and free yourself would be my humble advice. You are doing this to yourself. If you don't want to be treated like a slave, you simply need to stop acting like a slave. Unscrew it yourself.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
Brave Collective
#55 - 2016-11-27 11:12:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Chopper Rollins
Anyone YouCan wrote:
Large fleet fights should be chaotic and Crazy and fun. Not dancing around each others blop picking off one at a time.

The chaotic and crazy crowd usually get swept into the trash by the disciplined and organised. The only ways around that are massive piles of cash behind garbage forces, or so many spais that the enemy can't even shrug without forty people knowing.
If you change mechanics so that discipline and organisation don't count, you change the game too much.
You want small gang fun in fleet engagements, are you sure you've thought this through?

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Keno Skir
#56 - 2016-11-27 12:56:18 UTC
Anyone YouCan wrote:

1) Post with your main, or stop whining about things you don't know about.
2) HTFU
3) People fight like that because in large groups it's the most efficient least stupid tactic.

4) If a part of the game is not interesting to you (but clearly is for thousands of other people) either find a part that is, or find a game that is. DO NOT come to the player forums whining how it's all CCP's fault you're not having fun, it's your fault for not bothering to find something fun to do.

5) Profit.
Previous page123