These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PVP is bit overwhelming

Author
Forum Toon
Doomheim
#1 - 2016-11-23 12:50:13 UTC
So I was mostly in high\low sec past few years on number of characters and I mostly avoided pvp.

over the years I tried pvp on lowsec it was desolated and boring as hell so I stopped that.

few months ago I decided to join some null sec corp which was plain horrible so I've quit and went back to highsec.

Last night finally found a proper corporation for pvping in null sec of all places and I'm actually pleased with the set up, the fellow pilots and the action.

but,
and without giving too much info,
I find the entire experience to be bit too much.

you see I have 2 monitors set up on one (large) I got eve open with UI on 90% size and loads of windows and stuff all over the place (just setting up the ui properly with all the settings took me an hour. I constantly need to be keeping tabs on local + 3 chat windows.

then on my secondary monitor I have out of the game voice chat which I need to be in proper channel, then next to it (50-50 screen split) I got out of the game text communication for pings on fleets and such.

All of those needs to be monitored even before I actually undock.

Then once I get a fleet it's tense. need to pick the right ship for each fleet, make sure I know what I'm doing, keep the coms ready so I can follow the fc....

About last night,
So I joined the the new corp went pod express to null and then hopped on the standing fleet. we had some roaming parties in our systems so I hopped into secondary retaliation fleet. It was superb experience and you could see the FC communicating with other fleets and it felt great being part of the war machine.

but,
1. I need to train all targeting skills to V as I didn't manage to land single hit lol, all enemies got poped before I had a chance.
2. I didn't noticed the time. I was flying with my fellow pilots for over 2 hours. I was just swooped in.

So to conclude this I actually felt the entire experience overwhelming - too many systems and inputs overloaded my brain. Though it was fun thinking on it I don't think I can actually maintain such high commitment to game.
before that when I was on high sec parked in nice part of space I could just do whatever I want without needing to keep tabs on so many things. I could just do whatever I want for how long I wanted and when I wanted.

Anyone have tips on how to cope with the intense overload of information in being part of large pvp corp?
Luciolla
US Space Force
D3ad End
#2 - 2016-11-23 13:43:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Luciolla
Every alliance/corp operates a bit differently but you will get used to all the new things soon enough and it will become like second nature. There are alot of premade overviews that one of the more experienced people in the alliance can help you set up and pick the right one. with that being said, I still find myself fiddling with it alot.

Once you are in fleet, especially being a noobie at pvp, I wouldnt worry about the intel channels and other out of game stuff. just follow the FC's orders. they will most likely have all their bases covered as far as intel and such.

As far as what ship to fly, that will usually be decided by the FC too, if not just bring what you can afford to fly(lose).

I dont know what your fleet comp was as far as you not being able to get on any of the kills, but maybe you can try to add a sensor booster with scan res scripts. or maybe you were having gun range issues, ie targets where out of falloff, etc. Better overview sorting might lead to faster response time to called targets. might not be a ship fitting error but a lack of experience on your side just locating the ship to start locking it. just some ideas.
Ras Blumin
A Cross The Universe
#3 - 2016-11-23 15:38:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Ras Blumin
I agree with Luciolla: Not being overwhelmed will come with time. It sounds like you're pretty new to PVP, but as a PVP vet, I still get excited in engagements. I guess I've learned to mostly ignore info so to not get overwhelmed.

I also agree about just ignoring intel. You're new, don't take on the responsibility of keeping your fleet informed and so on. Just focus on doing what the FC tells you to and maybe even keeping yourself alive.

Getting on mails and maybe even some killmarks will come once you get into some proper engagements (ie. not ganks). Hopefully your group does those too.
Alasdan Helminthauge
AirHogs
Hogs Collective
#4 - 2016-11-23 15:51:13 UTC
you don't need to train all targeting skills to lv5. Only a single targeting skill (signature analyze) helps you lock faster, and it's a *1 skill, thus a fast train.
Netan MalDoran
Cathedral.
Stay Feral
#5 - 2016-11-23 20:29:57 UTC
Forum Toon wrote:
I tried pvp on lowsec it was desolated and boring as hell so I stopped that.

Sounds like you were in the wrong type of lowsec, try FW zones like Black Rise, they are quite busy (Except for like, midnight US TZ ofc)

"Your security status has been lowered." - Hell yeah it was!

Falcon's truth

Forum Toon
Doomheim
#6 - 2016-11-23 21:02:49 UTC
Netan MalDoran wrote:
Forum Toon wrote:

Sounds like you were in the wrong type of lowsec, try FW zones like Black Rise, they are quite busy (Except for like, midnight US TZ ofc)

exactly where I was.

I warped around 20-30 jumps in circle around large number of systems no one was there.

only moments when I saw someone was roaming gang coming from null or high to get some action.

At another occasion I've taken a battlecruiser without any modules, just hull.
40 jumps in high sec and went back to high. no living soul.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#7 - 2016-11-24 07:35:59 UTC
Forum Toon wrote:
Netan MalDoran wrote:
Forum Toon wrote:

exactly where I was.

I warped around 20-30 jumps in circle around large number of systems no one was there.

only moments when I saw someone was roaming gang coming from null or high to get some action.

At another occasion I've taken a battlecruiser without any modules, just hull.
40 jumps in high sec and went back to high. no living soul.

you sure you didn't select the testserver in the launcher by accident?

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2016-11-24 11:06:26 UTC  |  Edited by: March rabbit
Forum Toon wrote:

you see I have 2 monitors set up on one (large) I got eve open with UI on 90% size and loads of windows and stuff all over the place (just setting up the ui properly with all the settings took me an hour. I constantly need to be keeping tabs on local

yes

Forum Toon wrote:
+ 3 chat windows.

You don't need to watch all chats. When something happens it starts blinking.

Forum Toon wrote:

then on my secondary monitor I have out of the game voice chat which I need to be in proper channel, then next to it (50-50 screen split) I got out of the game text communication for pings on fleets and such.

You don't need voice chat to be on screen all the time. It's voice and not text.
'Pings of fleets and such' can be used with notifications and you don't need to watch it all the time.

Forum Toon wrote:
All of those needs to be monitored even before I actually undock.

as you can see: it's not that much

Forum Toon wrote:
Then once I get a fleet it's tense. need to pick the right ship for each fleet, make sure I know what I'm doing, keep the coms ready so I can follow the fc....

You take ship only once before fleet starts.
Unless you do very sensitive job like intercepting or bubbleing you can learn with time and not be 'that guy'. (read: start from 'F1 monkey' and get some feel of fleet op. Then when you ready start to do more).
And you already have 'coms ready' as you mentioned. Just switch to proper channel.
No need to panic

Overall: do not take it too seriously. You will set up with time.

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Kethen T'val
Dontopiax Mining Inc.
#9 - 2016-11-24 13:09:26 UTC
Sounds like a F1 monkey squad to me. There is more engaging pvp out there where it matters what you do..

Might be me but being a part of a war machine gives me nightmares
Forum Toon
Doomheim
#10 - 2016-11-24 16:45:40 UTC
Bienator II wrote:

you sure you didn't select the testserver in the launcher by accident?

I never play on any test servers.

I tell you the truth, I get more pvp on highsec as solo miner then on null\low.

Most pressing issue with low\null pvp is people won't fight you if they are not sure they can win, it's legit, but boring non the less.

warping around for 3 hours connected to 3 software for communications and the epic focus of the evening is 15 seconds F1 is total meh experience.
Forum Toon
Doomheim
#11 - 2016-11-24 16:46:52 UTC
Kethen T'val wrote:
Sounds like a F1 monkey squad to me. There is more engaging pvp out there where it matters what you do..

please instruct me, I'm few years in eve and I never encountered any fun pvp, it was mostly warping around mindlessly for hours meeting no enemies or docking in station cause everyone else lost the will to fight.
May Arethusa
Junction Systems
#12 - 2016-11-25 06:18:12 UTC
Quote:
So to conclude this I actually felt the entire experience overwhelming - too many systems and inputs overloaded my brain. Though it was fun thinking on it I don't think I can actually maintain such high commitment to game.
before that when I was on high sec parked in nice part of space I could just do whatever I want without needing to keep tabs on so many things. I could just do whatever I want for how long I wanted and when I wanted.

Anyone have tips on how to cope with the intense overload of information in being part of large pvp corp?

Once you're in a fleet, the majority of that information is redundant. You can survive with just your fleet/squad chat, fleet window, watch list, and overview. And even these can be narrowed down if your FC is competent. Learn to recognise the voices of your fleet commanders, and only listen to them, they will tell you everything you need to know. Having a million windows open won't help, you're overwhelming yourself with useless information. Once you're comfortable with following orders, you can gradually filter more information in to widen your understanding.

The reverse is true for being a member of a large group in EVE. If they'll let you stick your nose in, jam it in there. Join anything and everything you can, find the people in your corp/alliance that do the things you enjoy doing and stick with them. You can then start whittling down the useless channels and groups until you're happy with the amount/quality of content you're getting.

Quote:
please instruct me, I'm few years in eve and I never encountered any fun pvp, it was mostly warping around mindlessly for hours meeting no enemies or docking in station cause everyone else lost the will to fight.

You're looking in the wrong places then. You can use your in-game map or Dotlan to identify PVP hotspots by showing kills in the last hour, as well as jumps. If you want quick and easy access to PVP, stick a jump clone somewhere in Black Rise, move some ships in. You'll be sick of PVP before you know it.
Kethen T'val
Dontopiax Mining Inc.
#13 - 2016-11-25 11:09:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Kethen T'val
Forum Toon wrote:
Kethen T'val wrote:

Is this an actual forum toon or can you be contacted in game to?

EDIT: Anyway. I've sent you a mail
Alaric Faelen
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2016-12-04 16:05:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Alaric Faelen
There is nothing wrong with starting out as an 'F1 monkey'. The only problem is staying one.

PvP is certainly overwhelming at first, especially if you are doing it on a level beyond flying around randomly attacking things and hoping for that 1-10 win/loss ratio.

Fleets are made up of specific roles. These roles all offer great levels of depth when you are allowed to actually specialize. Once you come to grips with PvP in general- even if you are just spamming F1 at first, you can begin exploring these roles and rather than being a jack of all trades trying to squeeze every game mechanic into one hull, specialize so that you become more than just another ship in a pack but rather a force multiplier.

Tackle is often an early role taken. But it's not just suicide tackling whatever an FC points at. You will operate away from the fleet acting as a scout, relaying intel back to the FC. During a fleet engagement you will often be creating bounce spots or attacking support ships without FC orders. You will have to know when and where to bubble often using a tactical overlay and manual piloting. Eventually, you can single-handedly hold down a supercapital while it slowly dies to your fleet.
I can fly nearly all Sub-caps but the ship I fly far more often than any other is a Sabre. Many times I've jumped into a system only to see a giant enemy fleet staring back at me. What do you do? Bubble them, die a hero as your fleet piles thru? Or burn back to the gate and warn your fleet off? Those are some intense moments, friend.
EWAR and logi really come into their own when given specialized, bonused ships and dedicated fittings. With the changes to boosting, those ships will finally have a role on grid, where manual piloting and snap decision making will have you be anything but an F1 monkey.

I learned more in one fleet with people that knew what they were doing than in months of running around alone.

Do it with any halfway decent null alliance and you will never pay for another combat loss because of SRP.

Don't forget other roles too. Hunter is a critical role that is by it's nature a test of solo skills. Alone deep in hostile territory, stalking a target with expert probing, getting into position, and lighting that cyno for hot drop o'clock is a challenge few conquer. You might start off sitting on that Blops waiting....but your alliance will love you for training cyno V and flying a recon behind enemy lines.