These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
2 Pages12Next page
 

Heard about freeplay version of EVE but am too stupid to work it out

First post
Author
#1 - 2016-11-20 06:48:53 UTC
Hello,

I shared the old resources, got the new launcher, and downloaded the new client, then attempted to play as freeplay. However, I get a message about needing to log out in order to activate a free trial. I imagine with a new character?

But I don't want a free trial of a new guy, I just want to play a limited game on my old guy.

It seems the other option is to link the account with Facebook, that's not going to happen.

Is there some obvious button I am missing in all the advertising?

I just want to spend some mindless hours mining, I just need a mindless way to get started.

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

Amarr Empire
#2 - 2016-11-20 10:23:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Mark Marconi
Hir Miriel wrote:
Hello,

I shared the old resources, got the new launcher, and downloaded the new client, then attempted to play as freeplay. However, I get a message about needing to log out in order to activate a free trial. I imagine with a new character?

But I don't want a free trial of a new guy, I just want to play a limited game on my old guy.

It seems the other option is to link the account with Facebook, that's not going to happen.

Is there some obvious button I am missing in all the advertising?

I just want to spend some mindless hours mining, I just need a mindless way to get started.


You still need the user name and password of your old characters account (which you have as you logged into here to post) or goto eveonline.com and create a new account with a new character.

The CSM gets in the way of CCP communicating properly with the players of this game.

After all we are not just players, we are customers.

Time for the CSM to be disbanded.

Evictus.
#3 - 2016-11-20 11:07:11 UTC
You will need to validate the email address associated with your account: https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/new-security-features-with-eve-online-ascension/

Once done, the game will "trust" that machine. Some people are complaining about the increased security - personally I prefer to have CCP invest resources in improving the game rather than recovering hacked accounts so, as long as the security isn't too onerous - I accept it as part of the new reality.
Caldari State
#4 - 2016-11-20 17:57:01 UTC
F2P isnt too bad you can only fly upto cruiser. You cant fly other faction ships if your used to having high skills f2p will be fun...
#5 - 2016-11-20 18:29:57 UTC
jaffa Saken wrote:
F2P isnt too bad you can only fly upto cruiser. You cant fly other faction ships if your used to having high skills f2p will be fun...


Well, you can fly a Gnosis which is not a regular faction ship.
#6 - 2016-11-20 22:49:27 UTC
Do Little wrote:
You will need to validate the email address associated with your account: https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/new-security-features-with-eve-online-ascension/

Once done, the game will "trust" that machine. Some people are complaining about the increased security - personally I prefer to have CCP invest resources in improving the game rather than recovering hacked accounts so, as long as the security isn't too onerous - I accept it as part of the new reality.


I've done that.

Then I go to https://secure.eveonline.com/signup/

And put my email etc in and get told that the account is already taken, which it is, by me.

So I'm guessing there is an unintentionally secret log-in page for returning players who already have an account, but wish to play free.

Or it's not possible, all I know is that I can't work it out.

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

Pandemic Horde
#7 - 2016-11-20 22:54:42 UTC
Hir Miriel wrote:
Do Little wrote:
You will need to validate the email address associated with your account: https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/new-security-features-with-eve-online-ascension/

Once done, the game will "trust" that machine. Some people are complaining about the increased security - personally I prefer to have CCP invest resources in improving the game rather than recovering hacked accounts so, as long as the security isn't too onerous - I accept it as part of the new reality.


I've done that.

Then I go to https://secure.eveonline.com/signup/

And put my email etc in and get told that the account is already taken, which it is, by me.

So I'm guessing there is an unintentionally secret log-in page for returning players who already have an account, but wish to play free.

Or it's not possible, all I know is that I can't work it out.

Found your problem, you're making a new account. Log in instead of signing up.

I'm going to build a big wall that will keep the Gallente out, and they're going to pay for it!

Evictus.
#8 - 2016-11-20 22:57:40 UTC
Submit a support ticket: https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us There is no magic - at least not on the client side. Time for the GM's to take a look.
Caldari State
#9 - 2016-11-20 23:07:03 UTC
Do Little wrote:
Submit a support ticket: https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us There is no magic - at least not on the client side. Time for the GM's to take a look.



Yep, the GMs are there to help. Don't give up, that temporary obstacle is nothing compared to the enjoyment beyond it. (Warps out in terror as she discovers Hir Miriel's gank pirating idea of FUN)
#10 - 2016-11-21 00:41:15 UTC
Joia Crenca wrote:
Do Little wrote:
Submit a support ticket: https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us There is no magic - at least not on the client side. Time for the GM's to take a look.



Yep, the GMs are there to help. Don't give up, that temporary obstacle is nothing compared to the enjoyment beyond it. (Warps out in terror as she discovers Hir Miriel's gank pirating idea of FUN)


Not quite as frightening as my true idea of fun.

Mining.

Mine. Mine. Mine. It's all mine!

When the laser bores into the rock the boredom lasers into your soul.

Come into the light of the mining lasers

Muahahahahahahahahaha!

*polite cough*

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

#11 - 2016-11-21 00:43:19 UTC
Dark Lord Trump wrote:
Hir Miriel wrote:
Do Little wrote:
You will need to validate the email address associated with your account: https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/new-security-features-with-eve-online-ascension/

Once done, the game will "trust" that machine. Some people are complaining about the increased security - personally I prefer to have CCP invest resources in improving the game rather than recovering hacked accounts so, as long as the security isn't too onerous - I accept it as part of the new reality.


I've done that.

Then I go to https://secure.eveonline.com/signup/

And put my email etc in and get told that the account is already taken, which it is, by me.

So I'm guessing there is an unintentionally secret log-in page for returning players who already have an account, but wish to play free.

Or it's not possible, all I know is that I can't work it out.

Found your problem, you're making a new account. Log in instead of signing up.



I hit this link https://www.eveonline.com/
Which takes me here https://secure.eveonline.com/signup/

Which doesn't work for me.

Could you provide the log in link for returning accounts that wish to play free?

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

#12 - 2016-11-21 00:49:18 UTC
There's no link. Just open the EVE Launcher, click "Add Account", enter your login details, click the pin to make it blue.

Then click "Play".
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#13 - 2016-11-21 01:03:58 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
There's no link. Just open the EVE Launcher, click "Add Account", enter your login details, click the pin to make it blue.

Then click "Play".



This.

No conversion of account is needed.

_All_ accounts which aren't subscribed are alpha accounts (so you can play for free) Just log into the launcher with the details you used to log in for the forums.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

#14 - 2016-11-21 01:57:25 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
There's no link. Just open the EVE Launcher, click "Add Account", enter your login details, click the pin to make it blue.

Then click "Play".


The launcher I have is outdated and no longer supported, so I'll download the new launcher and try again.

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

#15 - 2016-11-21 02:03:49 UTC
If you have access to Google Authenticator or any other TOTP application, I strongly advise turnin on two-factor authentication in Account Management before logging in through the launcher. You will need to sort out email validation too, and it would be better to do this before you set up the launcher.

I prefer TOTP authentication over the email 2FA simply because my ISP uses greylisting and the email from CCP sometimes doesn't arrive for a long time.

Apologies for only thinking of this now.
#16 - 2016-11-21 02:03:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Hir Miriel
Just an FYI the link on the old launcher to download the new launcher goes here

https://community.eveonline.com/support/download/

Which seems to indicate downloading the whole 7gig game again.

So I went to find the new launcher from here

https://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/reminder-changes-to-os-minimum-requirements-coming-today/

From there I went to here

https://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/new-eve-launcher-leaves-beta-stage-available-for-download/

Then I went here

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/testing-a-new-eve-launcher/

Which led me to here

https://binaries.eveonline.com/EveLauncher-969236.exe

Since it's an exe file I'm assuming it's the new launcher, be trying it out soon.

If only there was a way to make the launcher easier to find.

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

#17 - 2016-11-21 02:09:37 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
If you have access to Google Authenticator or any other TOTP application, I strongly advise turnin on two-factor authentication in Account Management before logging in through the launcher. You will need to sort out email validation too, and it would be better to do this before you set up the launcher.

I prefer TOTP authentication over the email 2FA simply because my ISP uses greylisting and the email from CCP sometimes doesn't arrive for a long time.

Apologies for only thinking of this now.



I've done the email thing. Not good at remembering the names of these procedures, mostly I see them as impediments to what I want to do, rather than being interesting things to do. Bit like expecting me to do more than click Agree to Terms and Conditions.

Fingers crossed everything is slowly proceeding towards a workable version of EVE

:) Thanks for helping

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

#18 - 2016-11-21 02:20:33 UTC
Okay,

So I downloaded the new launcher from the binaries addy mentioned earlier

That let me start up a beta launcher, which then asked if I wanted to update the launcher,

Which I did

Then I got a promising looking launcher, which asked me to import some old data over

Which I did

Then a dialogue box popped up asking about purging shared files

Which I did

The application informed me Combined Index had 70651 files

The application purged one file and then stopped responding

Which is where I might leave today's adventure.

Don't forget to tune in next week to our next enthralling thrill ride :)

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#19 - 2016-11-21 02:36:25 UTC
https://community.eveonline.com/support/download/ is the right one to use. It just downloads the launcher. Which takes care of everything else.

If you have the shared cache already, it will hook up to it. If you don't, well, yes, it'll download everything again. But there's been a lot released lately, so if you didn't already have the shared cache, much of what you _did_ have would be out of date.


( The launcher download is pretty small. It doesn't include all the shared resources. That's the https://binaries.eveonline.com/EVEResources.7z file, which you don't need, as the launcher gets everything)



The cache purge is trying to clean up all the old stuff. That's a pretty intensive task

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

#20 - 2016-11-21 03:03:05 UTC
+1
2 Pages12Next page
Forum Jump