These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

My thoughts on the so-called "Free to Play" scheme

Author
Bibosikus
Aliastra
#21 - 2016-11-20 12:30:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Bibosikus
there is a few good points but you miss some core issues.

Fact is there are certain skills that should be abolished. Now this is a alt with 200mill sp all trained non injected. I have other older toons too and my original was a 03. So I think i can make comment on the fact that the core skills for every ship should be abolished. Spending like 9 months getting things like warp drive op5, Engineering 5, electronics 5, weapon upgrades 5 and basically any other skill that is required just to be able to fit a ship to a fairly standard level is a joke for new players.. It pissed me off back in 03 and still does now. They should be scrapped and the sp put back into our pools to respent. And so what it makes EVE easier. SO FREAKING WHAT. Even if they gave you every skill for teir 1 sub caps free EVE would still be the hardest game to learn by far.

Secondly. CCP need to stop advertising big fleet-fights as massive brawls or taking very select moments of real game play for their trailers. Eve's small fleet gameplay is excellent. But once it gets above 10v10 maybe even 7v7 levels it becomes a total joke that is nothing like advertised. EVE has a serious issue with it's main selling point feature. All you are doing is following the leader shooting what he says. If you don't you will get yelled at. Hell a lot of alliances in EVE will not let you fly your choice of ship on a fleet. This is a dim reality after you maybe have spent several months/years training skills and practicing as a interceptor pilot in fleets. That once you are skilled up you are actually just a DRONE of your fc. Sure you can say you dont fly the doctrine ship and stick to ceptors. but eventually peer pressure or just need will mean you probably get greifed into part of the doctrine blob. THIS SUCKS. It's why over the years i've played most people have left. I speak to old corp mates in RL or on steam or so on and it's always this answer. "I got sick of going on scheduled fleets to spend 3 hours getting yelled at for not following the leader just to get primary'ed and killed in 5 seconds flat" CCP need to break the fleets up. get this game to play more brawly at large fleet numbers. Desperately.


as for F2P or P2P.
Subscribers are better for ccp. the alpha clones are a excellent way of getting old players to resub because they can often log on and just say hello to old friends or run a mission or maybe go pew in a rifter. As far as getting and keeping new players. It's a step in the right direction but yes it kind of does say "Hey here's EVE. look at this skill wall." The NEW New player experience is good but NPE can never teach a player all they need to know in EVE.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Do Little
Bluenose Trading
#22 - 2016-11-20 12:39:24 UTC
Steffles wrote:

Think about it... want to make some isk in game? What are your options?

Ratting in developer created static and unchanging anoms, missions, combat sites.
Mining in developer created static and unchanging belts, anoms.
Manufacturing? With developer created blueprints with developer created material costs.

....


Again, I disagree. The developers put some tools in the sandbox - what we do with them is up to us.

As an industrial player I choose which links in the value chain I participate in, that is a strategic decision based on my interests and the amount of time I am prepared to invest in the game. It has changed over time and I have no doubt it will continue to evolve in the future. Basically I run a business making stuff and selling it. I buy materials from other players, sell my finished goods to other players and either employ other players to haul stuff for me or offer pirates a juicy target if I haul a high value, low volume cargo in my own Blockade Runner. Whether you realize it or not players in Eve are connected and interdependent. My outcomes depend on choices made by other players - the developers have a very small role to play, the changes they make force us to adapt - all the elements for complexity are there and that is what keeps me logging in.

Having a business background, I've never had a problem making ISK in this game - from the time I went to bed Tuesday night (after Ascension was deployed) to the time I got up Wednesday morning, I made a billion ISK - mostly burst charges, mining drones and mining drone rigs, absolutely predictable that they would be in high demand. No grinding required!


Keno Skir
#23 - 2016-11-20 13:00:15 UTC
Bibosikus wrote:
there is a few good points but you miss some core issues.

Fact is there are certain skills that should be abolished. Now this is a alt with 200mill sp all trained non injected. I have other older toons too and my original was a 03. So I think i can make comment on the fact that the core skills for every ship should be abolished. Spending like 9 months getting things like warp drive op5, Engineering 5, electronics 5, weapon upgrades 5 and basically any other skill that is required just to be able to fit a ship to a fairly standard level is a joke for new players.. It pissed me off back in 03 and still does now. They should be scrapped and the sp put back into our pools to respent. And so what it makes EVE easier. SO FREAKING WHAT. Even if they gave you every skill for teir 1 sub caps free EVE would still be the hardest game to learn by far.


You may as well give people every skill for free, since "SO FREAKING WHAT".

If you want something closer to your old way of life have you considered subscribing?

You don't need all 5's to fit a ship to a "standard" level, even mostly 4's and a 3 would be fine unless you are incredibly poor at the game.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#24 - 2016-11-20 13:11:20 UTC
Chopper Rollins wrote:
DonaldJTrump USAPresident wrote:
As a result the game has become heavily favored to those with fat wallets. .



What.
Wait if you think paying for Eve requires a fat wallet you're in need of perspective or so poor that you don't belong in the game's target demographic.
I pay for 6 months at a time, small discount for that allows me to spaecship for about 45 cents a day.
If you can't get that sort of money together i'm not sure this luxury is for you.





Paying a yearly sub means I run my 2 accounts for £0.49 per day. And that's not counting the occasional subscription discounts that pop up - if I could bestir myself to take advantage of those, I could probably bring my annual expenditure down even further.

But what the hell, you can't even buy a pack of gum for 49p these days.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Keno Skir
#25 - 2016-11-20 13:13:22 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
But what the hell, you can't even buy a pack of gum for 49p these days.



Don't even get me started mate i saw a f***ing Freddo for 35p the other day...
Bibosikus
Aliastra
#26 - 2016-11-20 13:58:15 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
Bibosikus wrote:
there is a few good points but you miss some core issues.

Fact is there are certain skills that should be abolished. Now this is a alt with 200mill sp all trained non injected. I have other older toons too and my original was a 03. So I think i can make comment on the fact that the core skills for every ship should be abolished. Spending like 9 months getting things like warp drive op5, Engineering 5, electronics 5, weapon upgrades 5 and basically any other skill that is required just to be able to fit a ship to a fairly standard level is a joke for new players.. It pissed me off back in 03 and still does now. They should be scrapped and the sp put back into our pools to respent. And so what it makes EVE easier. SO FREAKING WHAT. Even if they gave you every skill for teir 1 sub caps free EVE would still be the hardest game to learn by far.


You may as well give people every skill for free, since "SO FREAKING WHAT".

If you want something closer to your old way of life have you considered subscribing?

You don't need all 5's to fit a ship to a "standard" level, even mostly 4's and a 3 would be fine unless you are incredibly poor at the game.



You are a typical example of narrow minded mid level player. I am subbed and i probably can fly every ship in the game. There is no way a all skills should be free. But ones that affect things like the ships total power-grid or CPU or capacitor/recharge, warp capacitor. and the targeting should be. I've been playing this game far longer than most of the people who think they know whats best for EVE and far longer than half the dev team working on it. I was there when M0o rolled that first Dominix out. I saw part of the horror of damp raven. What half of you mid level players dont see is that EVE has not stayed at a static difficulty. It's actually constantly getting more complex. when i started there was frig and cruisers. now you have skills for everything from Pi to gunning stations to trade. about 40 more types of ship skill. IT IS PERFECTLY FINE TO SCRAP SOME LOW END SKILL BECAUSE THERE ARE NOW MORE HIGH END ONES THAN EVER BEFORE! to put it simply

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2016-11-20 15:59:51 UTC
DonaldJTrump USAPresident wrote:
Ask a player these days, what would they rather spend their $50 on?

Just recently i have spent like 80 USD in Jagerhaus with my wife. Not that much if you ask me. And i'm not rich american....

But yeah... Today kids rather spend money on tobacco and beer than on some game Lol

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
Already Replaced.
#28 - 2016-11-20 17:00:03 UTC
DonaldJTrump USAPresident wrote:


For returning vets that's a huge restriction, no longer being able to use things you trained for longer ago without paying is certainly not "F2P" for them. Might as well just not have bothered in the first place.

F2P of 2016 is a lot different than F2P that was many years ago.


it's simple, returning players can play for free within the alphas limitations.

or

pay up for a sub.




Darth Kendari
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2016-11-20 17:16:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Darth Kendari
This is "another" thinly veiled give me ALL of EVE for free posts. Classic give them an inch they want to take a mile.

A trial in eve has always been a trial, the fact that is has no time limit is the change of focus. Not that you cannot do for free, what you paid to do before, requesting that is entitlement BS and those people need to GTFO with that lame arse garbage.
Jotunspor
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#30 - 2016-11-20 17:55:58 UTC
DonaldJTrump USAPresident wrote:
I played EVE Online back since 2007 and eventually quit back in 2013.

I gave away my 3 70+ mil SP accounts and pretty much forsake the game after the disagreements with the direction the game was going.

I recently returned with this new advent of "Free to play" that CCP was putting out and here is what I have to say:

If CCP wants to get new customers to this game and they're going to be sorely disappointed.

Having an impenetrable pay wall in what you can skill up and fly is not going to convert F2P to P2P, they are going to quit.

Not only is there a pay wall, but there are several other significant barriers which is both by the nature of the game and by some of CCP's policies.

1. The difference between an Alpha and Omega Pilot is staggering in not such the limit on skills and ships, but also due to the fact that Alpha Clones have only half the training speed. Meaning that skilling up fundamental core skills take twice as long. There is no way outside of implants/remaps that can be done to alleviate the slow training speed. Alpha pilots are going to do a lot of sitting around not doing a whole lot while having to wait days to get some skills done. Which is not a good way to entice new players when it'll take them numerous days just to get a skill from 3 to 4 let alone 4 to 5. Trial characters had free skillpoints/training acceleration. Alpha Clones have the complete opposite.
New Players already have restrictions on what they can do, while penalize them even further?


2. PLEX prices are outrageously high, back when I used to play PLEX prices were below 300 million and overtime the prices have continued to climb at its current price point at 1.2 billion. Which as a result, have caused many people to shutdown their accounts as it was no longer worth the effort to keep their accounts running through PLEXes. As a result the game has become heavily favored to those with fat wallets. After all why grind the amount of a full time job when you can just spend an hour and half of salary to buy yourself over a billion isk. It has become pretty much nonviable for the majority who PLEXed to continue plexing and playing the game.

3. EVE has a lot with its PVP with the adrenaline rush it can give. But PVE, well that's a different story. No matter whatever activity you do, we can all agree that we eventually dread having to whatever we have to do to make isk to pay for our ships/ammo/etc. Not only do you have to pay money to really play and advance through the game, you have to work another job to fund your virtual life.

4. Skill extractors/injectors has simply added another Pay to Advance element to a game that already pretty much demands that you have a subscription. EVE Online now has the things that people hate about F2P and P2P and provide nothing in return. A subscription game should not have to drive players to do massive microtransactions, has CCP forgotten about MonocleGate that almost lead them to ruin?

5. After over 8 years, EVE still has that annoying clunky right click menu system. I swear if nothing else grates on the players' nerves the clickfest and clunkiness of the game will get to them. I over the years had hoped for a smoother and more immersive experience but alas, we are still stuck with "Excel Sheets Online". The UI is still as cluttered as ever and the control interfacing of game still annoys me despite being gone from the game for nearly 3 years.

6. From the past 5 years, I have yet to see anything fundamentally new with EVE Online. Nothing like Apocrypha in 2009 that added wormholes that added a new dimension to the game. EVE Online has heavily stagnated because it has failed to truly grow as a game.

TL:DR




Well, you see... When you say PVE is awful, I don't think you're saying nearly half of what should be said. It's not that PVE is awful. I mean... yeah, it's tedious, repetitive and not very engaging. But the problem is lack of immersion. It's immersion that catalyzes the experience and quality of gameplay. We don't actually speak to NPCs. We have a pop up window come up with text. That is considered "speaking" to an NPC in EVE.

The quality in gameplay is pathetically low. EVE literally carries nothing with it that belongs in the present day. The level of quality in gameplay is similar to that of a game from almost 20 years ago. CCP have NO IDEA how many people try their game, and never bother to come back to their game all because of the same reason. EVE relies solely on Player to Player interactions; a byproduct of internet-enabled gaming. There is no actual content. And many essential components to a video game are literally non-existent in EVE. And it's time CCP realize that what they have and always will have is simply a niche game. A niche game that will die; and rather soon. Until they develop the remainder of these essential components. The "Station atmosphere not yet suitable for Capsuleers" message has been displayed after pressing the station door button in the Captain's Quarters since Incarna came out. Since nearly 7 years. SEVEN YEARS! That's an entire console generation gone by. Within 7 years they could have added interiors, voiced NPCs, and plenty more. And could have actually started to be a complete game. This game will die sooner than people realize. The competition surrounding the space-based MMO realm is painfully obvious now with games like Star Citizen and No Man's Sky. Regardless of how successful/unsuccessful the latter may be. Once someone beats them to the job (and it seems it's Star Citizen), CCP are finished.
Cien Banchiere
Extrinsic Arcadia Distribution
#31 - 2016-11-20 18:02:31 UTC
We also know no other game who has used this type of unlimited trial ever succeeded. I mean, look at Runes cape and I believe even WoW has something similar. And obviously no one ever upgraded in those games.
Piugattuk
Saiyans United
Death from Above..
#32 - 2016-11-20 18:12:49 UTC
Everyone is different and has their reasons, but the FTP scheme will bring fresh blood in, but it also serves another purpose, targets for biter vets looking for someone to shoot, I know for a fact my Alpha is going to repeatedly die to a happy happy PVP'er who is looking to yank their sausage in delight, I won't care but I'll probably squirm a bit for icing on the cake, my way of helping eve keep current players happy.

I think it was a smart marketing move, but time will tell.
Steffles
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2016-11-20 20:32:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Steffles
Dark Lord Trump wrote:
The reason why EvE is a sandbox is because the story is player-driven, not developer-driven.

What a load of crap. What freaking story? EvE is all about pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew.

Story my ass.


Do Little wrote:

Again, I disagree. The developers put some tools in the sandbox - what we do with them is up to us.

As an industrial player I choose which links in the value chain I participate in, that is a strategic decision based on my interests and the amount of time I am prepared to invest in the game. It has changed over time and I have no doubt it will continue to evolve in the future. Basically I run a business making stuff and selling it. I buy materials from other players, sell my finished goods to other players and either employ other players to haul stuff for me or offer pirates a juicy target if I haul a high value, low volume cargo in my own Blockade Runner. Whether you realize it or not players in Eve are connected and interdependent. My outcomes depend on choices made by other players - the developers have a very small role to play, the changes they make force us to adapt - all the elements for complexity are there and that is what keeps me logging in.

Having a business background, I've never had a problem making ISK in this game - from the time I went to bed Tuesday night (after Ascension was deployed) to the time I got up Wednesday morning, I made a billion ISK - mostly burst charges, mining drones and mining drone rigs, absolutely predictable that they would be in high demand. No grinding required!

Oh please lol. In EQ I was a jewelcrafter. Same thing. Just because you make ships doesn't make it sandbox. Most MMO's have vastly more tradeskills than EvE.

Hey CPP - Time we put highsec back to how it was originally designed - http://i.imgur.com/GT0T0oS.jpg

Shallanna Yassavi
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2016-11-20 21:31:56 UTC
1: They intended it as an "unlimited trial" type of thing. That doesn't change how people are going to see it. A lot of this game's systems are set-and-forget, and controlled by how many accounts you can throw at them: PI, research, industry, skills-even FW, to a degree. Those can't be opened up to F2P without breaking things.

2: How much time did it take to plex back in the day? A lot of what makes plex prices so high is the ease of making that many ISK compared to before. The big questions are: how much time did it take to make you that 300M back in the day, and how much does it take to make ~1.2B now? The other big problem with plex is it's a P2W mechanism: you can buy from CCP, sell them, and skip the stupid grinding from 3.

3: Still true. I don't know if you were here for the Shadow of the Serpentis event, but... CCP has a lot to learn about how to make PvE.

4: No argument there. It's a feature which needs to get killed with fire, but they're not going to because it appears to be making money. Except: other players are content, and the kind of players smart enough to play this game are also the kind of players smart enough to not buy that first month.

5: There are a lot of things you can do which have an effect on the game which don't involve your ship directly doing something, while flying around. I mess with market orders during my hauls when I'm in a system with a trade hub. You can courier-contract-exfiltrate stuff from hostile space if you get close enough, or courier-contract stuff from anywhere in the cluster. Sometimes you don't want to warp to zero at all, because there's a bubble. It's the difference between the kiddie keyboard with one octave and one of those organs with four keyboards , two rows of pedals, and a lot of stops. Some of us don't want the kiddie keyboard.

6: Fundamentally new gets harder to come up with if you don't want to break things horribly. Pitch a fundamentally new idea if you want to see fundamentally new.

A signature :o

Sugar Smacks
State War Academy
Caldari State
#35 - 2016-11-20 22:06:23 UTC
DonaldJTrump USAPresident wrote:
Mark Marconi wrote:
I must admit a lot of the problems you seem to be referring to training time, plex price in isk and skill extractors, rely on the new player having no real life cash.

Take the price of plex atm, it is so high because the people with RL money are being outweighed by the people who don't want to spend RL cash.

The new "free to play" is a great way to introduce players and let them learn in their own time rather than 21 days then pay up or leave, because some people, the one who work a lot might not have much time in a 21 day window.

The new model fixes that and all the problems you described are bonuses for those with cash, especially the price of Plex, hell I am hoping for 3 bill per plex.


Generally if a player is not hooked into a game within 21 days, then no amount of time in the world is gonna get them hooked.

In these days, for players with money are people who want the most fun or enjoyment and unfortunately EVE has very low return in investment for the hours you spend and fun you get.

Ask a player these days, what would they rather spend their $50 on?

EVE Online that requires constant subscription, endless virtual currency grinding, time walls that cost money, dated gameplay and feel, being unable to do activities or player with others due to your low skill level that will take months if not years to catch up(unless you P2W with injectors).

Battlefield 1 with endless hours of fun and little required downtime and dedication to have fun and being able to play with other people regardless of how new you are.

EVE Online's system is from an age that will come to an end. The is the New Age of Gaming where all subscription MMO's come to die.


Did you just say all subscription MMOs are a thing of the past? Exactly where do you get this little bit of information?
Is it because you and anyone who apparently talks to you dislikes them? You think your opinion matters that much eh? Your generation must feel they are that important they can make or break a market eh?

This bold statement made me laugh not only at the statement but how blind you must be to the market overall. You have this belief because "you don't like it" that "no one will like it". To that I can only say HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Pvp MMOs aren't disappearing, no matter how bad you might wish it, in fact I can name at least 2 more I might expect to see next year. Also after seeing the around 40,000 people who tried to log on at release of Archeage, I can surely say, they aren't "disappearing" any time soon.

While I enjoy bold statements. the ones with absolutely no proof are kind of silly. Also the fact you can only be bothered to play a game that gives the typical person around 15 hours of enjoyment says loads more about you than the market overall.
Sugar Smacks
State War Academy
Caldari State
#36 - 2016-11-20 22:23:02 UTC

[/quote]


Well, you see... When you say PVE is awful, I don't think you're saying nearly half of what should be said. It's not that PVE is awful. I mean... yeah, it's tedious, repetitive and not very engaging. But the problem is lack of immersion. It's immersion that catalyzes the experience and quality of gameplay. We don't actually speak to NPCs. We have a pop up window come up with text. That is considered "speaking" to an NPC in EVE.

The quality in gameplay is pathetically low. EVE literally carries nothing with it that belongs in the present day. The level of quality in gameplay is similar to that of a game from almost 20 years ago. CCP have NO IDEA how many people try their game, and never bother to come back to their game all because of the same reason. EVE relies solely on Player to Player interactions; a byproduct of internet-enabled gaming. There is no actual content. And many essential components to a video game are literally non-existent in EVE. And it's time CCP realize that what they have and always will have is simply a niche game. A niche game that will die; and rather soon. Until they develop the remainder of these essential components. The "Station atmosphere not yet suitable for Capsuleers" message has been displayed after pressing the station door button in the Captain's Quarters since Incarna came out. Since nearly 7 years. SEVEN YEARS! That's an entire console generation gone by. Within 7 years they could have added interiors, voiced NPCs, and plenty more. And could have actually started to be a complete game. This game will die sooner than people realize. The competition surrounding the space-based MMO realm is painfully obvious now with games like Star Citizen and No Man's Sky. Regardless of how successful/unsuccessful the latter may be. Once someone beats them to the job (and it seems it's Star Citizen), CCP are finished. [/quote]


Have you seen Star Citizen? Seriously sat down and watch the devs play it to show an example of it?
I know I have, and let me tell you what it reminds me of. It reminds me of Starflight but with better graphics.

You might say what is Starflight and that is because the game is so old you wouldn't remember it.

If you are heavily impressed by graphics and the ability to land on a planet and basically everything that doesn't have to do with gameplay you will probably like it. But then again, odds are you are also playing Overwatch and calling it "original" when most players that look it see a dozen games like it that came before it but not with such flashy graphics.

Maybe theres a reason no gaming company would bother with such a project as Star Citizen. Maybe theres a reason a developer had to beg the public for money to make it happen. Sure there is a niche of new players that have never seen these options in a game before and I am sure it could of been developed better than what I saw there.

It feels there is a segment of the gaming population that is pretty young that sees all the new releases and say wow that has never happened before. But the problem is your wrong it has happened before and failed, or just ran its course. Now you are seeing the exact same games with just some upgraded graphics and you praise them. Yes its amusing, but sad, because in all reality it shows you don't care about content and just flashy graphics.
Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2016-11-20 22:35:27 UTC
Sugar Smacks wrote:
Maybe theres a reason no gaming company would bother with such a project as Star Citizen.

And given the massive amount of over time, there probably wont be again. it was meant to be finished 2 years ago but feature creep means it might never be finished.

The CSM gets in the way of CCP communicating properly with the players of this game.

After all we are not just players, we are customers.

Time for the CSM to be disbanded.

Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
Brave Collective
#38 - 2016-11-20 22:54:34 UTC
Bibosikus wrote:
IT IS PERFECTLY FINE TO SCRAP SOME LOW END SKILL BECAUSE THERE ARE NOW MORE HIGH END ONES THAN EVER BEFORE!


I find the core skills to be very smart, just like any combat set of skills they are the basics that max your ability to do higher level things.
You went on a bit there about how you played a long time ago and others are mid-level players, whatever the hell that means.
Then you shouted, making your argument passionate assertion, which is no argument at all.



Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Jotunspor
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#39 - 2016-11-20 23:12:33 UTC
Sugar Smacks wrote:


Have you seen Star Citizen? Seriously sat down and watch the devs play it to show an example of it?
I know I have, and let me tell you what it reminds me of. It reminds me of Starflight but with better graphics.

You might say what is Starflight and that is because the game is so old you wouldn't remember it.

If you are heavily impressed by graphics and the ability to land on a planet and basically everything that doesn't have to do with gameplay you will probably like it. But then again, odds are you are also playing Overwatch and calling it "original" when most players that look it see a dozen games like it that came before it but not with such flashy graphics.

Maybe theres a reason no gaming company would bother with such a project as Star Citizen. Maybe theres a reason a developer had to beg the public for money to make it happen. Sure there is a niche of new players that have never seen these options in a game before and I am sure it could of been developed better than what I saw there.

It feels there is a segment of the gaming population that is pretty young that sees all the new releases and say wow that has never happened before. But the problem is your wrong it has happened before and failed, or just ran its course. Now you are seeing the exact same games with just some upgraded graphics and you praise them. Yes its amusing, but sad, because in all reality it shows you don't care about content and just flashy graphics.


I'm ah.... I'm very, very confused. So the highlight of Star Citizen is its graphics. The graphics are like seeing Crysis 1 for the first time in 2007. And people are SO CAPTIVATED by these GRAPHICS that they can't see the OBVIOUS?! They can't see how much Star Citizen has NOTHING to do with "gameplay"? What in the actual phuq did I just read?

VS: A game that (I'll repeat myself here again) literally has next to no content. And all of the content it has, is extremely ****-poor in terms of quality. Poor in quality, and in my previous post, I elaborated a little on that with the example of missions.

Star Citizen's appeal is so unbelievably easy to see. And for the record. Making a game in general - a game that people actually want to play - is equally as easy. Why does Star Citizen appeal to so many people? Why have so many people become early backers? Because SC simply covers what gamers want. It looks great; which again - yes, you're right, isn't that important - is open world (obvious design choice for an MMO), offers missions with a living, breathing world surrounding them. Turns into an FPS, has exploration (again, with all essential components to a game.) What's there not to like?

How many of these things does EVE have? Next to none. Again, for the third time; EVE is a game that relies on Player-to-player interactions. Not content created by the developers. Player to player interactions. That does not, and never will appeal to the vast majority of gamers. It's too time-consuming and kills all immersion. And ultimately doesn't offer any stimulating gameplay. People don't want to Cosplay or perform a Sci-Fi version of a Medieval reenactment through a video game. People want to sit the hell down, turn on their PC, and enjoy. And when I said niche, I was referring to EVE. Are you the one that's confused? And it's funny how you mention that Overwatch most likely appeals to me. No actually, I saw about 3 minutes of gameplay footage and deemed it cookie-cutter garbage, just as you said. But ok.

Well, If no one undertook what CIG are trying to achieve for some clear reasons, I'm all ears. You somehow managed to write an entire paragraph... yet said nothing.


.................?






Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#40 - 2016-11-21 00:16:05 UTC
Remember it is "Play for free" not F2P.

The Alpha accounts are intended as unlimited trials to allow new players the time they need to familiarise themselves with the "rules" and to find people to play with.

Alpha accounts are not intended to provide a satisfying play experience. They are a taster plate, not a meal.

One huge advantage Alpha clones have is that they can train up to their SP limit, while trial accounts only ever had 51 days. So please tell me more about this paywall which prevents Alpha accounts training skills in their second year of free play.

Finally, remember that EVE is a PVP game. The content is other players, not PVE. To really enjoy the game, get involved with other players.