These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

MWD + cloak trick according to ship velocity

Author
Serena Hawkes
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-11-18 14:13:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Serena Hawkes
Hello,
Some experimented players explained me that for MWD + cloak trick you should some times use first your MWD then cloak and in other times cloak first, according to your ship velocity :
- If your velocity multiplier is really low, you can afford to cloak before MWD which is the best case scenario.
- If your velocity multiplier is high, you have to cloak after your MWD wich boost your signature for a brief time and increases your chances to get locked.

I have 2 questions :
- Why have you to MWD before cloaking if your velocity is high?
- At which velocity multiplier can you start cloaking before using MWD? (I'm currently arround 0.4 on my hauler, is that sufficiently low?)
Ovv Topik
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2016-11-18 14:21:05 UTC
Your problem buddy is that it does not work with an Afterburner. Only a MWD.
The cloak slows you so much only a MWD will give you sufficient boost in one cycle to enter warp immediately.
Practice in HiSec before trying in low/nul.

"Nicknack, I'm in a shoe in space, on my computer, in my house, with a cup of coffee, in't that something." - Fly Safe PopPaddi. o7

Serena Hawkes
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2016-11-18 14:40:31 UTC
Ok sorry, when I said afterburner, I was speaking about MWD ^^, I edited my post and my questions remain the same =p.
Ovv Topik
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2016-11-18 14:43:05 UTC
Serena Hawkes wrote:
Ok sorry, when I said afterburner, I was speaking about MWD ^^, I edited my post and my questions remain the same =p.

Well in that case my friend, your answer is here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=311022

"Nicknack, I'm in a shoe in space, on my computer, in my house, with a cup of coffee, in't that something." - Fly Safe PopPaddi. o7

Serena Hawkes
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2016-11-18 14:48:52 UTC
Thx for your answer, however, I read the whole post and only things I know are explained. They doesn't say how to calculate the velocity multiplier you need to use efficiently cloak before MWD instead of using MWD first when you are performing the trick :o.
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#6 - 2016-11-18 15:01:17 UTC
This isn't really hard. Use only an improved cloak, hit the cloak first.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Serena Hawkes
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2016-11-18 15:16:48 UTC
In this tutorial : https://youtu.be/JrlUMiRL1jU?t=270
arround 4:30, the guy is explaining that if you don't have velocity improvements, it's important to use MWD before cloaking (while everybody seems to say that you should cloak first).
I was just wondering why and how you know if you have enough velocity to cloak first.
Voxbot
Blazing Phoenix Logistics Corp
Black Rose.
#8 - 2016-11-18 17:20:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Voxbot
Pro tipyou can not turn on mods while cloaked so there for you press the mwd then turn on cloak wait for mwd to cycle turn off cloak and warp instantly if you aligned while mwd was cycling
Keno Skir
#9 - 2016-11-18 17:21:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Keno Skir
You cloak first, then hit MWD. All situations. Guy above (pro tip Cool ) is talking rubbish.
Othran
Route One
#10 - 2016-11-18 17:37:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Othran
The server runs on a one second tick where it processes events.

So if you engage mwd on "tick one" and your cloak doesn't engage on the same tick then you will be visible (with full mwd sig bloom, so very easy to lock) for one second. ie until the end of "tick two".

Statistically if you use both keyboard and mouse it'll usually* happen on the same tick but if you cloak first then the worst case scenario is your MWD won't engage but you are still cloaked. Only ever happened to me once (I'm 7ms ping from the server) but saved my arse as I managed to slowboat it back to gate.

So you ALWAYS cloak then mwd. Use KB shortcut for one, mouse for the other.

*if your latency (ping) to the server is highly variable then your chances decrease.
Keno Skir
#11 - 2016-11-18 17:45:40 UTC
You can engage a MWD several seconds after engaging cloak, this is not to do with server ticks.
Othran
Route One
#12 - 2016-11-18 17:57:18 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
You can engage a MWD several seconds after engaging cloak, this is not to do with server ticks.

It is and by several you'd mean a maximum of just under two seconds (in theory).
Serena Hawkes
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2016-11-18 18:02:18 UTC
Thx for explanations :)
Memphis Baas
#14 - 2016-11-18 18:14:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
The MWD-cloak trick is used in gate-camp situations, to try to escape.

In case you don't know what that is, you jump through a gate and arrive on the other side invisible, to give you time to look at what's going on and form a plan. As soon as you try to do something, the invisibility will disappear.

The gate campers will have interceptors to fly to your position as soon as you become visible. You, on the other hand, need to cloak up to become invisible again, and need to get away from that spot where you just were, so that that interceptor doesn't find you.

To get invisible, you activate your cloak. To get away, you're trying to get a little pulse from your MWD so you can drift away from that spot while you're cloaked. You need to activate the mwd and the cloak in the order that gives the best results for your ship and for your reaction times (which means, practice, don't wait until you're actually surrounded by enemies to get it right).

"Fast" ships are frigates.
Transport ships, cruisers, battlecruisers, battleships are definitely "slow". Even destroyer is probably slow.

The enemy interceptor is waiting by the gate, which means approx. 15km away from your random arrival position. An interceptor can cross 15km and be on top of you within a few seconds. Meanwhile, you need to drift at least 2.5km within the same few seconds, and typically frigates are the only ships that have the agility and speed to pull it off.

The MWD module gives your ship a 500% bonus to its listed speed. But the scenario starts with you being stationary, and you're trying to accelerate away with the MWD, but the cloaking device cuts off the MWD and all other modules when it goes on. So the only thing that you get from the MWD is a little push, so you can drift away while cloaked, hopefully more than 2.5 km away.

Activate cloak first or MWD first means just which buttons you push first. Your ship doesn't react instantly, because it has mass and agility stats, and also because there's lag between your computer and the game servers. You need to learn which buttons to push first, for the ship that you have, to achieve "a speed burst and invisibility" from your ship.
Othran
Route One
#15 - 2016-11-18 18:42:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Othran
Oh & the reason that its a one second tick is because that's enough time to send/receive data from Australia/NZ to London where the server is. Its an attempt to "level the playing field" so people like me (7ms from the server) don't gain an advantage.

We still do have some advantage however for twitch stuff like instalocking - there's some very very good Aussie tacklers/skirmishers but they'd be awesome if they weren't 800ms away :)

Edit - the original "plan" for Eve was that it'd have "nodes" around the world to minimise latency but I think the difficulty of maintaining a single "shard" server where we all play together were (and still largely are) insurmountable for that model.
Keno Skir
#16 - 2016-11-18 22:19:41 UTC
I can activate mine 3+ seconds after I activate cloak. I also live rather close to the main server, go try it then come back & tell me more Cool
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#17 - 2016-11-19 01:29:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Iria Ahrens
Othran wrote:
Keno Skir wrote:

It is and by several you'd mean a maximum of just under two seconds (in theory).

Please stop...

After activating Cloak you have 3 seconds to activate a passive module.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.