These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Alpha and Omega from same public IP?

First post
Author
Svetlana Moscovich
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-11-14 08:29:56 UTC
I'm looking to get my wife into Eve now that there's a no-cost way to see if she'll enjoy it long-term.

The EULA doesn't seem entirely clear on whether I can play my omega account on one pc, and my wife play an alpha on hers. Obviously the machines have different HWIDs and different local-network IPs, but their outward-facing (public) IP will be the same. I don't want to get her started and then have us both banned because of how the EULA can be interpreted.
Do Little
Bluenose Trading
#2 - 2016-11-14 09:56:15 UTC
If CCP detects this as an attempt to multibox an Alpha and Omega the Alpha will not be allowed to login. I suspect they have more sophisticated tools because there are a lot of families where more than 1 member plays the game - you could have the same issue on a larger scale at a university residence! If the Alpha login is disallowed, log a ticket.
Svetlana Moscovich
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2016-11-14 10:23:09 UTC
Do Little wrote:
If CCP detects this as an attempt to multibox an Alpha and Omega the Alpha will not be allowed to login. I suspect they have more sophisticated tools because there are a lot of families where more than 1 member plays the game - you could have the same issue on a larger scale at a university residence! If the Alpha login is disallowed, log a ticket.


This is my concern. I know that you literally can't log in an alpha and an omega on the same pc (same with how trials and paid used to work), I'm just worried is all due to the way it's phrased ("from one location" iirc).
Mama Carebear
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2016-11-14 10:59:04 UTC
Here in Germany most Cabel-ISPs use Carrier-Grade NAT (DS-Lite Gateway, IPv6 only to the home, the gateway is for about 90% of the connections to those stoneage IPv4 only Servers Bear )

Will be interesting tomorrow, if one alpha can block all omagas, because same gateway (and public IPv4)...

CCP tells us, it won't be that bad... Roll
Memphis Baas
#5 - 2016-11-14 12:22:22 UTC
We don't know what CCP's detection and interpretation methods are, and even if we knew, it would probably be against the forum rules to discuss them here.

Create a support ticket and ask them.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2016-11-14 12:22:39 UTC
Svetlana Moscovich wrote:
I don't want to get her started and then have us both banned because of how the EULA can be interpreted.

I highly doubt you will get banned.

When I first started playing this game I made an alt on a trial account to haul for my main while minning. I found out instantly that when I logged into the trial account I got a message about CCP loving my enthusiasm but I wasn't allowed to log into a trial if I was already logged into another account.

It would be silly of CCP for them to ban you for something which they have full control over like access.

Also I'm fairly certain that I've played with people on trial accounts while on the same public IP. I've gone over to new player's houses before to show them the ropes and recall no issues.

Now if you were to hack the client to get around CCP's measures to prevent logging into an alpha and any other account on the same machine then that would be bannable. But just trying to log on should not be a punishable offense.

Come patch day anyone one of us with an expired alt account and a second machine in the house can give this a try and see.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#7 - 2016-11-14 18:25:06 UTC
If it's on 2 separate machines there shouldn't be a problem, AFAIK the launcher will prevent an alpha clone logging in while an omega clone is active and vice versa in pretty much the same way that it currently does for trial and paid accounts.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Svetlana Moscovich
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2016-11-15 02:15:38 UTC
Thanks everyone, you've all been quite reassuring. One more player to add to the tally for alpha-day!
Piugattuk
Lone Star Warriors
Evictus.
#9 - 2016-11-15 03:44:19 UTC
Soooo, this means I cannot get an alpha to do stuff with even tho my omega will not be logged on if I use the same pc?
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#10 - 2016-11-15 05:14:17 UTC
Same PC has always been a no, AT THE SAME TIME. Of course you can log off your Omega clone and use and Alpha clone from the same pc.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Kitsa
BunnyWaffe
Samurai Bunny
#11 - 2016-11-15 09:00:46 UTC
Do Little wrote:
If CCP detects this as an attempt to multibox an Alpha and Omega the Alpha will not be allowed to login. I suspect they have more sophisticated tools because there are a lot of families where more than 1 member plays the game - you could have the same issue on a larger scale at a university residence! If the Alpha login is disallowed, log a ticket.


2 computers?

no. CCP knows there are room mates that game from same IP
Shimrra Starscorcher
Blood Raider Clan
Gungnirs Wrath
#12 - 2016-11-15 12:09:36 UTC
Kitsa wrote:
Do Little wrote:
If CCP detects this as an attempt to multibox an Alpha and Omega the Alpha will not be allowed to login. I suspect they have more sophisticated tools because there are a lot of families where more than 1 member plays the game - you could have the same issue on a larger scale at a university residence! If the Alpha login is disallowed, log a ticket.


2 computers?

no. CCP knows there are room mates that game from same IP


i have the same question as the OP , My Wife wants to try EvE on her own PC , i don't want to sub an account if she is going to just try and stop , if she gets into it then ill sub because Omega is better , i just want to know that CCP are going to allow this

if they don't they may very well prevent potential new subs from occurring

also there are many people i know that would try EvE but share an internet connection im sure CCP knows this so limiting by IP would be pretty dumb when they could be turned into subs after a while of free play ( restricting multi boxing Alphas on same PC Yes, restricting Separate PC's from having Alphas NO! )
Ado Dilanda
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#13 - 2016-11-15 14:21:44 UTC
I have a somewhat related question:

I've been playing for 10 days on a trial account, and I'm thinking that I might want to make a new account to see the new player experience.

But I like my current account, with all the skills I already unlocked.

Am I allowed to keep both accounts as alpha clone accounts until I decide which account I will play in the long run? I wouldn't want to log in both at the same time, and I'm using a single computer.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2016-11-15 14:42:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Tardbar
There are free and paid services to give computers different IPs than what your ISP has granted you.

I'm not sure if using VPN is against the rules or not. I mean if you were living in mainland China you'd have to use one of you wanted to play on tranquility.

However I suspect if CCP sees you with 50 ventures all mining in unison then they might not like it.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#15 - 2016-11-15 18:29:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Iria Ahrens
Ado Dilanda wrote:
I have a somewhat related question:

I've been playing for 10 days on a trial account, and I'm thinking that I might want to make a new account to see the new player experience.

But I like my current account, with all the skills I already unlocked.

Am I allowed to keep both accounts as alpha clone accounts until I decide which account I will play in the long run? I wouldn't want to log in both at the same time, and I'm using a single computer.



CCP never deletes accounts since the beta IIRC, your account is yours no matter what.

The only limitation is that you can't play an alpha and another account at the same time on the same computer. Different computers, same network. OK. Multiple omega accounts on one computer is ok, if your computer can handle it.

With the new account mechanics, you can lapse your account at any time with no penalty, other than some skills becoming inactive. I just logged on an old account that I haven't touched in years. It's still there, just a few skills are inactive.

There is no need to bother with VPNs for multiple computers same network, and no benefit from using a vpn for multiple sessions on one computer. For playing eve, a VPN _might_ improve your latency if your isp is giving you a crappy routing for whatever reason. This is usually not the case.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Antheria
SkyMarshaller Corp
#16 - 2016-11-16 04:53:31 UTC
A wife that plays EvE - that's just not fair.

My son plays & we used to join up until he ganked me ( actually we still play together but not so nicely anymore).
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#17 - 2016-11-16 06:11:50 UTC
your wife should be worth a plex to you and you both can be omegas together in space!

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Ado Dilanda
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#18 - 2016-11-16 14:38:44 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Ado Dilanda wrote:
I have a somewhat related question:

I've been playing for 10 days on a trial account, and I'm thinking that I might want to make a new account to see the new player experience.

But I like my current account, with all the skills I already unlocked.

Am I allowed to keep both accounts as alpha clone accounts until I decide which account I will play in the long run? I wouldn't want to log in both at the same time, and I'm using a single computer.



CCP never deletes accounts since the beta IIRC, your account is yours no matter what.

The only limitation is that you can't play an alpha and another account at the same time on the same computer. Different computers, same network. OK. Multiple omega accounts on one computer is ok, if your computer can handle it.

With the new account mechanics, you can lapse your account at any time with no penalty, other than some skills becoming inactive. I just logged on an old account that I haven't touched in years. It's still there, just a few skills are inactive.

There is no need to bother with VPNs for multiple computers same network, and no benefit from using a vpn for multiple sessions on one computer. For playing eve, a VPN _might_ improve your latency if your isp is giving you a crappy routing for whatever reason. This is usually not the case.


Great, thank you :)
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2016-11-16 18:46:14 UTC
So has anyone confirmed that you can or cannot run two clients on two different computers sharing the same public IP address.


If not, I can confirm if it works or not when I get home.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

lollerwaffle
Perkone
Caldari State
#20 - 2016-11-17 07:35:22 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
I'm not sure if using VPN is against the rules or not. I mean if you were living in mainland China you'd have to use one of you wanted to play on tranquility.

You don't have to use a VPN, but the VPN *may* help if your internet is sucky. I played on TQ when I moved to Shanghai many years ago.
12Next page