These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Introducing ESI - A new API for EVE Online

First post First post
Author
Piedro Nolm
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2016-11-09 15:44:06 UTC
I am a bit worried.

How easy will it be to run an application that requires certain access rights from a developers local machine?
SSO will not work locally due to the callback from the login server having no DNS name to return the call to, right?

Not having to deploy an application for live/integration testing or rapid protoyping is very important to me.

How will that be possible if the ESI API will not allow access with API Keys?
Piedro Nolm
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2016-11-09 15:59:01 UTC
Also regarding the new EVE Portal APP:

If I am forced to use SSO, I can not monitor characters from multiple accounts, right? Each account would have a different SSO login.

That seems like a pretty big disadvantage, considering alpha clones are around the corner and people will likely use those in addition to their existing accounts.
CCP Bartender
C C P
C C P Alliance
#23 - 2016-11-09 16:24:15 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Bartender
Piedro Nolm wrote:
I am a bit worried.

How easy will it be to run an application that requires certain access rights from a developers local machine?
SSO will not work locally due to the callback from the login server having no DNS name to return the call to, right?

Not having to deploy an application for live/integration testing or rapid protoyping is very important to me.

How will that be possible if the ESI API will not allow access with API Keys?

You can set the callback in your SSO client to localhost, and that'll let the browser callback to the local machine. Obviously you'll need something locally listening to get the key as it comes back, or you'll need to grab it out of the URL manually, whichever takes your fancy. Whatever technique you're currently using for CREST development will work exactly the same.

Piedro Nolm wrote:

If I am forced to use SSO, I can not monitor characters from multiple accounts, right? Each account would have a different SSO login.

That seems like a pretty big disadvantage, considering alpha clones are around the corner and people will likely use those in addition to their existing accounts.

ESI is specifically and deliberately a character oriented API. We will not be delivering account level information in ESI. So yes, if you want to monitor multiple characters from the same account you will have to add each one individually.
Ariea Thellare
EVE University
Ivy League
#24 - 2016-11-09 16:30:18 UTC
When will we be able to use it for our apps? If i create a new application on the developers site i can still only choose crest and auth only under connection type. there i would have to select esi, right?
Piedro Nolm
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2016-11-09 16:56:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Piedro Nolm
CCP Bartender wrote:

Piedro Nolm wrote:

ESI is specifically and deliberately a character oriented API. We will not be delivering account level information in ESI. So yes, if you want to monitor multiple characters from the same account you will have to add each one individually.

Thank you for your quick reply!
I did not know about the localhost callback solution. Sounds good and I will give it a try.

Regarding my second point: I was thinking more about characters spread out over multiple accounts, not multiple characters on the same account.
I can not login to multiple accounts at the same time, can I? Which means I will constantly have to logout/login if I want to monitor characters spread out over multiple accounts?

Cheers and happy coding!
Ariea Thellare
EVE University
Ivy League
#26 - 2016-11-09 17:29:10 UTC
I mean it works with oauth as far as i understand it. That mean you authenticate every char once by logging in and then you save the refresh token you get. With that you can do all the things. And you can just save the refresh tokens of multiple characters.

The "logging" is not an actual login in the classical sense it just gives you the token. That's why you also can't logout, you just delete the refresh token and then you would have to authenticate/login again to get a new one.

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#27 - 2016-11-09 18:10:53 UTC
CCP Bartender wrote:

Hold on, hold on.

The ability of API Keys to monitor ALL characters of the account, is a very important function in making sure that, at least on the account involved, there is no other character belonging to some enemy alliance.

Taking that functionality away is quite the big deal. And it will never reach feature parity with the API without that.

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

GeekWarrior
S0utherN Comfort
#28 - 2016-11-09 18:45:07 UTC
Mona Kasenumi wrote:
Welp. Sorry.
Is it new or what? Never saw it before lol

Not sure. It's been there for a little while.
Untelo1
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2016-11-09 19:41:23 UTC
Altrue wrote:
CCP Bartender wrote:

Hold on, hold on.

The ability of API Keys to monitor ALL characters of the account, is a very important function in making sure that, at least on the account involved, there is no other character belonging to some enemy alliance.

Taking that functionality away is quite the big deal. And it will never reach feature parity with the API without that.

RIP Big Brother.
Ai Sakura
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#30 - 2016-11-09 21:07:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Ai Sakura
Altrue wrote:
CCP Bartender wrote:

Hold on, hold on.

Exactly...

CCP want to promote spying that's fine, but they don't want to make it easy for alliances/corps to catch the low hanging fruit that people try and use on the same account.

Character listings on APIs are used from checking people on recruitment, to authentication systems and CCPs continual refusal to recognize this, firstly with CREST and now with ESI is very frustrating especially considering they want to shut down the XML API.

It isn't feature parity when you neglect one of the most common use cases for the API.
Althalus Stenory
Flying Blacksmiths
#31 - 2016-11-09 22:15:37 UTC
Well, now people will ask to register all 3 char from an account (and even that you can't verify since you don't have something that link them together), and they'll also ask a screenshot from the character selection page (like some corp already do lol)

i'd say, i'm fine with that change, but I also like to have some account data we currently have, like "subscription time left" (I don't believe there is any other relevant information account wide except the character list).

EsiPy - Python 2.7 / 3.3+ Swagger Client based on pyswagger for ESI

TetraEtc
S.N.O.T
S.N.O.T.
#32 - 2016-11-10 01:37:43 UTC
Ooooh this sounds good.

Now... I just need a reason to play with this more.
Ariea Thellare
EVE University
Ivy League
#33 - 2016-11-10 15:39:40 UTC
But we still need to register applications under https://developers.eveonline.com/applications , right.
When will we be able to do then, because atm I only see the option to create CREST and author only. No esi option atm
David Davaham
Deep Blue Logistics
#34 - 2016-11-10 16:17:41 UTC
Ariea Thellare wrote:
But we still need to register applications under https://developers.eveonline.com/applications , right.
When will we be able to do then, because atm I only see the option to create CREST and author only. No esi option atm

I have to +1 this. I have already sent a mail out to my alliance about the new changes that are coming. Christmas break is quickly approaching and I want to use this time to rewrite most of our website on ESI so that we are already shifted over and i can just add in new endpoints as they become available.

Any update on when the scopes will be available on the Developer's Site CCP?

Developer of EVEmail

David Davaham
Deep Blue Logistics
#35 - 2016-11-10 16:31:50 UTC
So I was curious about what Ariea Thellare stated about the endpoints for ESI not being available and did some digging.

Some of the endpoints are available. If you go to the Developer Website and click to Create a New Application and then Select CREST Access, you will notice that all of the CREST Scope are in Camel Case (camelCaseExample) whereas the scopes for ESI are snake_case. At the bottom of the list, there are 9 scopes that are snake_case. One can assume that these are some of the new ESI Scopes? I have listed them below. So I am assuming that they are allowing you to sign up for ESI using the current CREST access UI and then use that ClientID and Secret Pair to Access ESI

• read_calender_events
  • read_character_wallet
  • read_clones
  • read_contacts
  • read_skillqueue
  • read_skills
  • read_structures
  • respond_calendar_events
  • structureVulnUpdate

Developer of EVEmail

David Davaham
Deep Blue Logistics
#36 - 2016-11-10 16:33:45 UTC
I am actually willing to bet, this is unconfirmed, that they are going update teh Developers Website with the rest of the scopes on the 15th with the release of Ascension.

That is my bet

Developer of EVEmail

Ariea Thellare
EVE University
Ivy League
#37 - 2016-11-10 16:36:15 UTC
Ok, good to know.
Thanks for the info. I didn't see these new scopes in crest
Limur Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2016-11-10 17:37:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Limur Deninard
I tried to use API but I always got:

{"error":"invalid_request","error_description":"The callback URI doesn't match the value stored for this client"}

Although i used SSO and CREST auth settings. I used to (callback URL hidden in link): https://login.eveonline.com/oauth/authorize?response_type=token&redirect_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpath%2Fto%2Fcallback&realm=ESI&client_id=f67404126de047a187bd04bf25605c38&scope=esi-bookmarks.read_character_bookmarks.v1&state=evesso

What is going wrong?
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#39 - 2016-11-11 07:22:07 UTC
Piedro Nolm wrote:
CCP Bartender wrote:

Piedro Nolm wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply!
I did not know about the localhost callback solution. Sounds good and I will give it a try.

Regarding my second point: I was thinking more about characters spread out over multiple accounts, not multiple characters on the same account.
I can not login to multiple accounts at the same time, can I? Which means I will constantly have to logout/login if I want to monitor characters spread out over multiple accounts?

Cheers and happy coding!

You can quite happily have multiple accounts signed in at the same time.

Due to the way it works, there's no real difference between characters on one account, and characters on multiple.

Just, when adding a new one, hit cancel. That lets you log in a new character.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

200cm3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2016-11-11 11:50:12 UTC
Great job, ccp.
Nice to see things get more solid wih eve api. Do you have any roadmap on what endpoints are going to be introduced next?