These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Thoughts on improving the game

First post
Author
Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#401 - 2016-11-06 18:06:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Mark Marconi
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
I think it is understandable they react that way. You can see the same reaction if you wave a study that shows that there is probably no connection between vaccines and autism to a bunch of anti-vaccine crackpots.

In this case it is a study that shows that there is probably no connection between ganking and new players quitting and voila, almost the same excuses and non-arguments about why the study is wrong and why their gut feeling is more relevant and how this is all just a big conspiracy.

Good job AG, you are basically the anti-vaccination movement of EVE

Lets call them "the anti-content movement". I think that is an accurate name.

Actually the anti-vacc movement just like the climate deniers use poorly done, non-peer reviewed studies to prove their points. It is not so much as they point to flaws in reputable studies as they ignore them in favour of the studies that state what they want.

They just "believe" the study by a single person or group is "better" and it is belief rather than evidence that causes these problems. It has nothing to do with actual problems in a reputable study because they just ignore those studies without ever having examined them.

The anti-vacc studies normally include an undefined sample type and unknown methodology that makes it easy to lead from cause to effect.

Its like the old saying: If you dont use this dish washing liquid 9 out of 10 doctors say you will be killed by wild elephants. It just takes a while to find the right 9 doctors.

The CSM gets in the way of CCP communicating properly with the players of this game.

After all we are not just players, we are customers.

Time for the CSM to be disbanded.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#402 - 2016-11-07 05:10:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
I think it is understandable they react that way. You can see the same reaction if you wave a study that shows that there is probably no connection between vaccines and autism to a bunch of anti-vaccine crackpots.

In this case it is a study that shows that there is probably no connection between ganking and new players quitting and voila, almost the same excuses and non-arguments about why the study is wrong and why their gut feeling is more relevant and how this is all just a big conspiracy.

Okay, this is an interesting direction in the discussion.

To be clear, the initial research into vaccines and autisms was:

1. Totally fruadulent
2. Done with a monetary reward in mind.
3. Was totally unethical (i.e. the researcher in charge was struck from the British Medical Registry).
4. To date there has been absolutely no research supporting the hypothesis.

We see something similar with AG. The one attempt my CCP to study the effects of ganking on new players in constantly and continuously rubbished...without a single valid argument. People keep coming and arguing their pet theory based on their intuition (which is fine, but ideally such theories should be checked against actual data) and in the end we get a cult like group much like the anti-vaxxers and their support for Andrew Wakefield.

The CCP analysis at worst shows that ganking of players in their first 15 days HAS NO EFFECT ON THOSE PLAYERS STAYING IN GAME. In fact, the analysis suggests, THAT GANKED NEW PLAYERS STAY IN GAME LONGER THAN NON-GANKED PLAYERS.

All arguments to the contrary are based on beliefs that have literally no evidence behind them. None.

Now, maybe ganking a player who has been in game for 2 or 3 years and was imprudent and stuffed 5 billion in his charon and then flew it through Uedama an got ganked might be more inclined to quit. But then again whose fault is that? Those who ganked him, or the dumb sheet who put 5 billion in his freighter and flew through Uedama?

Giving a total pass to the dumb sheet freighter pilot is well dumb sheet. IMO, of course.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#403 - 2016-11-07 05:34:08 UTC
Steffles wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Steffles wrote:
Violet Crumble wrote:
Steffles wrote:
Killing people in high sec has never been easier. Highsec is not safe, its extremely dangerous. I've lived in all areas of the game and by far the most dangerous is high sec.

As for freighters if someone wants to kill you you are dead. No amount of tank, inertial stabs, scouting, planning, webbing alt will help you because you cannot warp out when your scrammed or pointed and they don't align fast enough to avoid being locked and scrammed. After that its bump and gank till your dead.

To put it in perspective, the drop in required isk to gank a freighter is enormous, it used to be 30 or more battleships now its 30ish cats, or 7 stealth bombers. Very very cheap.

Where do you get this from? Highsec is extremely dangerous? You can't be serious.

As a industrialist/miner/hauler who works in all areas of space, this doesn't in any way match the experience I have had in the last 3 years.

So I would be great if you outline specific details and numbers that show this, because it's easy to show that it's not true.

Its quite simple.

Living in what is arguably the most active pvp system in EVE (7rm-n0) I can tell immediately if there is a threat (nuetral) in system. I have 100+ people who will be in warp to me within seconds. The most dangerous part about warping to the threat is whether or not Ill be in time to kill the ganker before he's finished off by the defense fleet. You have a alliance wide network of eyes watching and warning is usually given when fleets or gangs are multiple systems away.

In less active system or bubble fekked dead ends you would be likely to see a nuetral once a day or not at all. You can afk rat or mine to your hearts content.

There are no war decs, no code dweebs, no insta-popping destroyers on your undock, no nuetral reppers, very few links alts and if there are you can easily probe those down with a good prober.

In high sec there is no warning if you are attacked. You cannot tell a hostile nuetral (ganker) from a non-hostile. There is no defense fleet. No alliance wide network of eyes. Neutral reppers are to be expected. Any smart true carebear is not in highsec, they are in null and this is the reason for that.

In other words, NS is as safe as players make it. HS on the other is very safe irrespective of player effort (which is generally negligible).

Working as intended, IMO.

Yeah nah. You simply like your fictional version so much you'll stick to it no matter what. I like fantasy too but only in novels.

Okay, so you tell us how safe NS where you live is...then back track totally. Great way to shoot your credibility in the foot.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Exaido
Fire Over Light
#404 - 2016-11-07 05:59:15 UTC
This still going... Is there a TL/DR?
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#405 - 2016-11-07 06:19:29 UTC
Exaido wrote:

Well, my TL:DR would be:

1. Stop making HS less dangerous.
2. Look at reintroducing danger/risk into HS.
3. Ignore the anti-ganking people as they have a stunted view.
4. Encourage more Player-on-Player interaction.

Note for that last one it need not be PvP. A player getting into an active corp, or with an active group of players is more likely to stay than otherwise.

No, I have no good ideas for that. That is part of emergence and it is hard to plan/design.

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#406 - 2016-11-07 06:29:31 UTC
Mark Marconi wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

Actually the anti-vacc movement just like the climate deniers use poorly done, non-peer reviewed studies to prove their points. It is not so much as they point to flaws in reputable studies as they ignore them in favour of the studies that state what they want.

They just "believe" the study by a single person or group is "better" and it is belief rather than evidence that causes these problems. It has nothing to do with actual problems in a reputable study because they just ignore those studies without ever having examined them.

The anti-vacc studies normally include an undefined sample type and unknown methodology that makes it easy to lead from cause to effect.

Its like the old saying: If you dont use this dish washing liquid 9 out of 10 doctors say you will be killed by wild elephants. It just takes a while to find the right 9 doctors.

So what you say is that you are even worse than the anti-vacc movement, since you don't even have a fake study?
Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#407 - 2016-11-07 06:31:29 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Exaido wrote:

Well, my TL:DR would be:

1. Stop making HS less dangerous.
2. Look at reintroducing danger/risk into HS.
3. Ignore the anti-ganking people as they have a stunted view.

Note for that last one it need not be PvP. A player getting into an active corp, or with an active group of players is more likely to stay than otherwise.

No, I have no good ideas for that. That is part of emergence and it is hard to plan/design.

I would have gone with

1. New players need to be ganked more, player retention or not people will at least learn to be more paranoid and it does less harm at the start than when they have been playing for years.
2. Increase the danger/risk to gankers in HS, make anti-pirates a thing again.
3. Most people on these forums speak out of self interest, have no idea how to discuss a topic or reason and just fall back on emotive statements.
5. Beware the players who seem to think CCP is God.

The CSM gets in the way of CCP communicating properly with the players of this game.

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#408 - 2016-11-07 06:43:49 UTC
Raca Pyrrea wrote:
rabble

Oh dear. The topic was that some AG spew the old lie that new players never subscribe because of ganking, and that is exactly what the study shows. We did not discuss anything else. However the study doas take into account all the reasons given by ALL EVE PLAYERS when cancelling their subscription and people who cite ship loss are <1%.

The counter arguments so far from AG are:

- CCP faked their own study because they want to damage their own business
- Math is hard

And then you ask yourselves why no one is taking you for full.
Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#409 - 2016-11-07 06:49:38 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Raca Pyrrea wrote:
rabble

Oh dear. The topic was that some AG spew the old lie that new players never subscribe because of ganking, and that is exactly what the study shows. We did not discuss anything else. However the study doas take into account all the reasons given by ALL EVE PLAYERS when cancelling their subscription and people who cite ship loss are <1%.

- Math is hard

Actually it was ganking was mentioned less than 1% of the time, while not stating how many are not answered at all and all the other things that make that less than 1% a completely useless factoid.

Other arguments have included:
-a large number of people on these forums are better suited to the position of court jester, than they are having an intelligent discussion
-CCP probably did manage an incomplete study on ganking in the first 15 days reasonably.

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#410 - 2016-11-07 07:02:16 UTC
Mark Marconi wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Raca Pyrrea wrote:
rabble

- Math is hard

Actually it was ganking was mentioned less than 1% of the time, while not stating how many are not answered at all and all the other things that make that less than 1% a completely useless factoid.

-a large number of people on these forums are better suited to the position of court jester, than they are having an intelligent discussion
-CCP probably did manage an incomplete study on ganking in the first 15 days reasonably.

No it was actually ship loss and not ganking. So you disregard this figure because there may be people who did not answer the question at all or incorrectly. Judging by this forums the minority who can't handle exploding spaceships in a game of exploding spaceships are pretty vocal about it, so what is the reason they of all people should remain silence on the one occasion where CCP actually may listen?
Steffles
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#411 - 2016-11-07 08:58:08 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Mark Marconi wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Raca Pyrrea wrote:
rabble

- Math is hard

No it was actually ship loss and not ganking. So you disregard this figure because there may be people who did not answer the question at all or incorrectly. Judging by this forums the minority who can't handle exploding spaceships in a game of exploding spaceships are pretty vocal about it, so what is the reason they of all people should remain silence on the one occasion where CCP actually may listen?

Characters less than 15 days old. Given less than 15 day old characters don't have much isk they likely don't get ganked as much as players who have lots of its.

It's the equivalent of concluding armed robberies are at all time lows because a survey of hobo's found the hobo population doesn't report many armed robberies.

Hey CPP - Time we put highsec back to how it was originally designed - http://i.imgur.com/GT0T0oS.jpg

Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#412 - 2016-11-07 09:27:20 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

Okay, this is an interesting direction in the discussion.

To be clear, the initial research into vaccines and autisms was:

1. Totally fruadulent
2. Done with a monetary reward in mind.
3. Was totally unethical (i.e. the researcher in charge was struck from the British Medical Registry).
4. To date there has been absolutely no research supporting the hypothesis.

We see something similar with AG. The one attempt my CCP to study the effects of ganking on new players in constantly and continuously rubbished...without a single valid argument. People keep coming and arguing their pet theory based on their intuition (which is fine, but ideally such theories should be checked against actual data) and in the end we get a cult like group much like the anti-vaxxers and their support for Andrew Wakefield.

The CCP analysis at worst shows that ganking of players in their first 15 days HAS NO EFFECT ON THOSE PLAYERS STAYING IN GAME. In fact, the analysis suggests, THAT GANKED NEW PLAYERS STAY IN GAME LONGER THAN NON-GANKED PLAYERS.

All arguments to the contrary are based on beliefs that have literally no evidence behind them. None.

Now, maybe ganking a player who has been in game for 2 or 3 years and was imprudent and stuffed 5 billion in his charon and then flew it through Uedama an got ganked might be more inclined to quit. But then again whose fault is that? Those who ganked him, or the dumb sheet who put 5 billion in his freighter and flew through Uedama?

Giving a total pass to the dumb sheet freighter pilot is well dumb sheet. IMO, of course.

That research is a bit bunk since it discounts the massive amounts of players that just leave. You know, EVE has less than stellar retention rates.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#413 - 2016-11-07 09:36:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Ima Wreckyou
Steffles wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

Characters less than 15 days old. Given less than 15 day old characters don't have much isk they likely don't get ganked as much as players who have lots of its..

There are two parts to the study, the part about how many subscribe after the 15 day trials and the part about the subscription cancellation reason. The subscription cancellation reason is about ALL Eve players and not just the <15 day old characters. The <15 day old chars are even excluded there since they don't yet have a subscription to cancel.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#414 - 2016-11-07 09:38:10 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:
That research is a bit bunk since it discounts the massive amounts of players that just leave. You know, EVE has less than stellar retention rates.

No, it actually does not. Read the comment above
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#415 - 2016-11-07 09:46:57 UTC
well i have to say personally i've known more players that quit over socket loss than being ganked.
the reasons why people quit are varied and always related to a few isues rather than the one.

it's unfair to ignore the fact that there are a lot more games out there now than there was 5 years ago. so much choice so little time.

everyone quits a game at some stage, it's the naural order of things, people come and play,, some leave and some stay, those that stay will last a long time or a short time so why waste your time chasing shadows where there's none?

still not many suggestion on improving the game, just the usual screams for personal choice on mechaincs in the game.

is this thread about improving the game for new people or vets?
Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#416 - 2016-11-07 09:53:36 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:

Depends on who you ask. The perspective will be completely biased and the suggestion probably complete crap, you know like the CSM now Lol

All in all I just hope CCP learn to make and use statistics properly to govern what they do to the game and stop listening to the players except when we scream (usually when CCP ignores the players) because self interest clouds the thoughts of so many.

Steffles
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#417 - 2016-11-07 10:09:52 UTC
Mark Marconi wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:

Depends on who you ask. The perspective will be completely biased and the suggestion probably complete crap, you know like the CSM now Lol

All in all I just hope CCP learn to make and use statistics properly to govern what they do to the game and stop listening to the players except when we scream (usually when CCP ignores the players) because self interest clouds the thoughts of so many.

Yeah the CSM is a major problem. Naturally any voting system where alliance leadership can instruct alliance members to vote for their candidate is going to come with a huge dose of bias.

The election process should consist of selecting candidates from WH, NPC Null, Null, High and Low security organizations. The final selection of those candidates should be based on experience, knowledge and capability and be selected by either the previous CSM or CCP not just on the sizes of the alliances fielding candidates and the number of dodgy votes they can spam with alts and members.

Hey CPP - Time we put highsec back to how it was originally designed - http://i.imgur.com/GT0T0oS.jpg

Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#418 - 2016-11-07 10:12:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Ria Nieyli
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:

You literally say that those people aren't included in the statistic. Que? I mean, you say that I'm wrong, then proceed to agree with me.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#419 - 2016-11-07 10:25:02 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:

You literally say that those people aren't included in the statistic. Que? I mean, you say that I'm wrong, then proceed to agree with me.

Please read again and notice the part where I talk about that there are two parts of the study, one which talks about trial accounts (<15 day players) and one about subscribers who quit (> 15 day players).
Black Pedro
Mine.
#420 - 2016-11-07 10:37:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Black Pedro
Mark Marconi wrote:
They are trying. The talk that is causing so much teeth-gnashing in this thread was called "Using Science to Help Newbros" after all. The stuff coming out from CCP Quant and perhaps CCP Ghost recently shows CCP is making an effort toward a more evidence-based approach to developing the game, rather than making decisions based on which influential players are whispering in their ear, or the gut feeling of some developer.

The reality is though that even with access to the massive collection of data CCP has, it is very difficult to untangle cause and effect, and even if you gain some insight, it doesn't necessarily tell you how to make a good sandbox game. They can formulate a specific hypothesis and test it (like "do new players quit because they get ganked?") but whatever answer the data supports, they still need to build an engaging and entertaining space game. It's not just a matter of reading a book on game theory, looking at the logs, and boom - add a feature that will cause the PCU to spike two-fold.

CCP has a vision for Eve Online, and the best they can do is stay true to that vision. Arguably, and forgive me for drifting into personal opinion here, the changes that have caused the most problems for the game have been ones where CCP has strayed too from that original vision of a PvP sandbox in pursuit of more mainstream appeal, although certainly the have also made mistakes in execution of many core ideas along the way.

But Eve is still here and will be for the foreseeable future, and as long as CCP Seagull is in charge, it will continue to be a single-universe, everyone-vs-everyone, sandbox game where player-driven content is the primary goal. That means ideas like in the OP are not going to happen. If you are looking for a solo/casual space game where you can grind and build in peace, there are several of those types of games out there but they are not Eve Online.

In Eve Online, all players, from the newest of the new to the 13-year veteran, from the most peaceful industrialist to the most blood-thirsty pirate, have to deal with the fact that other players can influence their game play without their explicit consent. If you don't agree to that, or just can't handle that, you really are just setting yourself up for unhappiness if you continue to play this game.