These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Thoughts on improving the game

First post
Author
Violet Crumble
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#381 - 2016-11-06 02:29:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Violet Crumble
Steffles wrote:
Violet Crumble wrote:
Steffles wrote:
Killing people in high sec has never been easier. Highsec is not safe, its extremely dangerous. I've lived in all areas of the game and by far the most dangerous is high sec.

As for freighters if someone wants to kill you you are dead. No amount of tank, inertial stabs, scouting, planning, webbing alt will help you because you cannot warp out when your scrammed or pointed and they don't align fast enough to avoid being locked and scrammed. After that its bump and gank till your dead.

To put it in perspective, the drop in required isk to gank a freighter is enormous, it used to be 30 or more battleships now its 30ish cats, or 7 stealth bombers. Very very cheap.

Where do you get this from? Highsec is extremely dangerous? You can't be serious.

As a industrialist/miner/hauler who works in all areas of space, this doesn't in any way match the experience I have had in the last 3 years.

So I would be great if you outline specific details and numbers that show this, because it's easy to show that it's not true.

Its quite simple.

Living in what is arguably the most active pvp system in EVE (7rm-n0) I can tell immediately if there is a threat (nuetral) in system. I have 100+ people who will be in warp to me within seconds. The most dangerous part about warping to the threat is whether or not Ill be in time to kill the ganker before he's finished off by the defense fleet. You have a alliance wide network of eyes watching and warning is usually given when fleets or gangs are multiple systems away.

In less active system or bubble fekked dead ends you would be likely to see a nuetral once a day or not at all. You can afk rat or mine to your hearts content.

There are no war decs, no code dweebs, no insta-popping destroyers on your undock, no nuetral reppers, very few links alts and if there are you can easily probe those down with a good prober.

In high sec there is no warning if you are attacked. You cannot tell a hostile nuetral (ganker) from a non-hostile. There is no defense fleet. No alliance wide network of eyes. Neutral reppers are to be expected. Any smart true carebear is not in highsec, they are in null and this is the reason for that.

Wardecs are not required in lowsec or null because everyone just shoots everyone in the face anyway.

Everything you wrote there about nullsec was either focussed on killing someone else, or preventing someone from killing you. Bubble wrapping gates is only needed because of the level of risk if they aren't wrapped.

I bet you watch local constantly, watch intel channels and have support available to assist if needed when in null.

In highsec, systems can be full of neutrals and not a single shot gets fired. You can fly straight gate to gate and most times don't even need to have local visible.

It's bonkers to think highsec is very dangerous.

In highsec I can go wherever I like without much risk. Are you telling me, that if you aren't a goon, you can just go easily AFK rat in Delve? Or go rat easily in Tribute, Fountain, Deklein, etc. even if you don't own that space?

Yeah sure.

But if you really want to prove your point, jump in a freighter in highsec, set the destination to a random location in nullsec and then autopilot. After all, if you make it out of the very dangerous highsec, lowsec and nullsec should be all plane sailing for an autopiloting freighter.

At least you are right. It really is simple.

Funtime Factory - We put the fun back in funtime

Galaxy Duck
Galaxy Farm Carebear Repurposing
#382 - 2016-11-06 02:40:10 UTC
Steffles wrote:
Galaxy Duck wrote:
Tristan Valentina wrote:
I would like to see more teaching about the weaknesses of highsec. It is advertised as very safe it really is not.

Could you point me toward any of these advertisements?

I hear that a lot "Highsec is advertised as safe" but never have I ever seen an advertisement for EVE to the effect of "Come try EVE, we have a totally safe area of the game where no one will ever bother you!"

Seriously, can you cite any examples of this deceptive advertisement?

Here you go. From the Horses Mouth
Original Thread

From the guy who was in charge of creating and growing EvE from the 1000 players it had when I started EVE Online to the 10's of thousands it had later. This is the way it was while it was gaining massive numbers of new players, why people joined up, and stayed, this is the way it was designed to be from the very beginning and this is the way it needs to go back to so that the numbers will start going up again.

Yeah, that's an old forum thread.

I ask again: Can anyone point out an example of deceptive advertisement?
Galaxy Duck
#383 - 2016-11-06 02:47:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Galaxy Duck
pajedas wrote:
CCP skewed the results to fit their agenda. You can't convince me that they took the time to go through 160,000 kill mails one by one. They're always talking about how limited and valuable their time is.

You guys can think whatever you want.

I know that I'm right. Big smile

Ah, yes. CCP secretly knows that gankers are the cause of their stagnant numbers and are hiding it because they want their business to fail! Ingenius!
pajedas
Doomheim
#384 - 2016-11-06 02:54:58 UTC
Galaxy Duck wrote:
pajedas wrote:
CCP skewed the results to fit their agenda. You can't convince me that they took the time to go through 160,000 kill mails one by one. They're always talking about how limited and valuable their time is.

Ah, yes. CPP secretly knows that gankers are the cause of their stagnant numbers and are hiding it because they want their business to fail! Ingenius!

Fact: Eve is failing.
Fact: Management is at fault.
Fact: Free is the bottom of the barrel.

But hey, as long as your little group is happy nothing else matters.

I started 2003.05.10 in 0.0.

Eve has gone from great to good to not so good.

They should definitely be taking advice from people that are too lazy to work for isk.

🐇

Galaxy Duck
#385 - 2016-11-06 03:04:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Galaxy Duck
pajedas wrote:
Galaxy Duck wrote:
pajedas wrote:

Ah, yes. CPP secretly knows that gankers are the cause of their stagnant numbers and are hiding it because they want their business to fail! Ingenius!

Fact: Eve is failing.
Fact: Management is at fault.
Fact: Free is the bottom of the barrel.

But hey, as long as your little group is happy nothing else matters.

I started 2003.05.10 in 0.0.

Eve has gone from great to good to not so good.

They should definitely be taking advice from people that are too lazy to work for isk.

You're right, they should be taking advice from people who accuse them of being liars, or maybe the folks who think them too incompetent to do basic statistics!

Please continue to try and deflect from the fact that your logic is crap.

P.S. "working" for ISK if for carebears, and carebears are livestock.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#386 - 2016-11-06 03:13:14 UTC
Steffles wrote:
Violet Crumble wrote:
Steffles wrote:
Killing people in high sec has never been easier. Highsec is not safe, its extremely dangerous. I've lived in all areas of the game and by far the most dangerous is high sec.

As for freighters if someone wants to kill you you are dead. No amount of tank, inertial stabs, scouting, planning, webbing alt will help you because you cannot warp out when your scrammed or pointed and they don't align fast enough to avoid being locked and scrammed. After that its bump and gank till your dead.

To put it in perspective, the drop in required isk to gank a freighter is enormous, it used to be 30 or more battleships now its 30ish cats, or 7 stealth bombers. Very very cheap.

Where do you get this from? Highsec is extremely dangerous? You can't be serious.

As a industrialist/miner/hauler who works in all areas of space, this doesn't in any way match the experience I have had in the last 3 years.

So I would be great if you outline specific details and numbers that show this, because it's easy to show that it's not true.

Its quite simple.

Living in what is arguably the most active pvp system in EVE (7rm-n0) I can tell immediately if there is a threat (nuetral) in system. I have 100+ people who will be in warp to me within seconds. The most dangerous part about warping to the threat is whether or not Ill be in time to kill the ganker before he's finished off by the defense fleet. You have a alliance wide network of eyes watching and warning is usually given when fleets or gangs are multiple systems away.

In less active system or bubble fekked dead ends you would be likely to see a nuetral once a day or not at all. You can afk rat or mine to your hearts content.

There are no war decs, no code dweebs, no insta-popping destroyers on your undock, no nuetral reppers, very few links alts and if there are you can easily probe those down with a good prober.

In high sec there is no warning if you are attacked. You cannot tell a hostile nuetral (ganker) from a non-hostile. There is no defense fleet. No alliance wide network of eyes. Neutral reppers are to be expected. Any smart true carebear is not in highsec, they are in null and this is the reason for that.

In other words, NS is as safe as players make it. HS on the other is very safe irrespective of player effort (which is generally negligible).

Working as intended, IMO.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

pajedas
Doomheim
#387 - 2016-11-06 03:15:08 UTC
Lol. If you trust everyone you're more lost than I thought you were.

Running incomplete/partial data and pretending to have reached a conclusion. Rise had a hard time convincing himself, much less the audience that those numbers were accurate.

Ever heard of the tail wagging the dog?

Your signature sums it up, misspelling and all.

Thanks!

🐇

Galaxy Duck
#388 - 2016-11-06 03:37:26 UTC
Explain to everyone what would motivate CCP to lie about numbers pertinent to their bottom line.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#389 - 2016-11-06 03:48:40 UTC
pajedas wrote:
Lol. If you trust everyone you're more lost than I thought you were.

Running incomplete/partial data and pretending to have reached a conclusion. Rise had a hard time convincing himself, much less the audience that those numbers were accurate.

Ever heard of the tail wagging the dog?

Your signature sums it up, misspelling and all.

Thanks!

What? I never said trust everyone. And your saying the data used by CCP is incomplete or partial is based on nothing. I know the results are upsetting if you were of the belief that ganking new players made them quit in droves. But even if CCPs statistics are not statistically significant it means at worst ganking players less than 15 days old does not cause them to quit sooner, and it is quite possible it means exactly the opposite, they stay longer.

And I am not designing anything, so I'm not sure what you think my signature means, but it is a warning against hubris when trying to impose order on a system that is the product of spontaneous order and emergence, here is a longer quote,

Quote:
The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design. To the naive mind that can conceive of order only as the product of deliberate arrangement, it may seem absurd that in complex conditions order, and adaptation to the unknown, can be achieved more effectively by decentralizing decisions and that a division of authority will actually extend the possibility of overall order. Yet that decentralization actually leads to more information being taken into account.

It is a warning against the just so stories lots of people post here and in the features and ideas sub-forum.

If we do A it will lead to B, then C and finally D which will be awesome! That type of reasoning is, IMO flawed in that it fails to take into account the complexity of a process that is based on spontaneous order.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#390 - 2016-11-06 05:37:49 UTC
Galaxy Duck wrote:

You're right, they should be taking advice from people who accuse them of being liars, or maybe the folks who think them too incompetent to do basic statistics!

The very fact that you consider a sample of 80,000 people to determine whether people actually stay longer or leave due to ganking a basic statistic, means you know nothing about statistics and should not really comment on it.

The CSM gets in the way of CCP communicating properly with the players of this game.

After all we are not just players, we are customers.

Time for the CSM to be disbanded.

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#391 - 2016-11-06 05:54:24 UTC
Mark Marconi wrote:
Galaxy Duck wrote:

The very fact that you consider a sample of 80,000 people to determine whether people actually stay longer or leave due to ganking a basic statistic, means you know nothing about statistics and should not really comment on it.

Every time I quit, I lie and put the option that I'm qutting due to lost ship even though while mining I have never been ganked.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#392 - 2016-11-06 06:07:22 UTC
Mark Marconi wrote:
Galaxy Duck wrote:

Not this again...80,000 is a very large sample, IMO.

We have over 5 million customers and we often use samples of 50,000. And even then that is quite large, but we go that big so if people come back and want various subsets we can be reasonable confident that the subsets are themselves representative of the subset population.

Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#393 - 2016-11-06 06:14:07 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Mark Marconi wrote:
Galaxy Duck wrote:

Not this again...80,000 is a very large sample, IMO.

We have over 5 million customers and we often use samples of 50,000. And even then that is quite large, but we go that big so if people come back and want various subsets we can be reasonable confident that the subsets are themselves representative of the subset population.

Yes but it cannot be called basic statistics.

Basic statistics are things such as a sample of a couple of hundred fun size packs of M&Ms and what the mean and median number of Red M&Ms for each pack.

As to the rest as I said before it is probable that CCP got it right or more specifically didn't get enough wrong to matter.

The CSM gets in the way of CCP communicating properly with the players of this game.

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#394 - 2016-11-06 08:31:52 UTC
If AG would invest the time they cry on the forums and make up stuff to convince themselves that the representative study CCP created is wrong into the actual game, maybe they would actually not fail all the time continuously without ever making a difference.
Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#395 - 2016-11-06 08:54:33 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
If AG would invest the time they cry on the forums and make up stuff to convince themselves that the representative study CCP created is wrong into the actual game, maybe they would actually not fail all the time continuously without ever making a difference.

Why am I suddenly reminded of this scene?

Quote:
Scene: A lecture room at the university.

Leonard: So, if any of you are considering going into experimental physics, my door is always open. Once again, I’m sorry that the demonstration didn’t quite work out, but now we know what happens when you accidentally spill peach Snapple into a helium neon laser. Short answer is… don’t. And now to tell you about the theoretical physics department is Dr. Sheldon Cooper. Dr. Cooper?

Sheldon (off): Forget it.

Leonard: Excuse me. Sheldon, we both agreed to do this.

Sheldon (off): It’s a waste of time. I might as well explain the laws of thermodynamics to a bunch of labradoodles.

-- The Big Bang Theory

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#396 - 2016-11-06 09:14:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Ima Wreckyou
I think it is understandable they react that way. You can see the same reaction if you wave a study that shows that there is probably no connection between vaccines and autism to a bunch of anti-vaccine crackpots.

In this case it is a study that shows that there is probably no connection between ganking and new players quitting and voila, almost the same excuses and non-arguments about why the study is wrong and why their gut feeling is more relevant and how this is all just a big conspiracy.

Good job AG, you are basically the anti-vaccination movement of EVE

Lets call them "the anti-content movement". I think that is an accurate name.
Black Pedro
Mine.
#397 - 2016-11-06 09:45:20 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Steffles wrote:
Violet Crumble wrote:
Steffles wrote:

Its quite simple.

In other words, NS is as safe as players make it. HS on the other is very safe irrespective of player effort (which is generally negligible).

Indeed.

And pirating has essentially been deleted as a profession in highsec. After all the nerfs to ganking, especially the insurance removal, it is not profitable to shoot another player for their stuff anymore or make a living at it. Only the most outrageously bling fit ship, or overloaded hauler can be shot and the pirate make a profit. Players can still shoot each other if they are willing to pay the cost as fits the general premise of the game, but there is a strong disincentive to do so.

Highsec is not safesec and never was suppose to be, but it certainly seems to fit CCP's design goals to be a very safe space where pirates generally cannot operate. This is in direct contrast to the other spaces where you can shoot pretty much anything and make a profit at it, thus being easy-mode zones for piracy.

Highsec hands free safety to the player enabling solo and casual play, probably to their long-term detriment for developing as an Eve player. But certainly, it is completely disingenuous to claim that highsec is inherently more dangerous than the other spaces. At best it is more dangerous than the piece of space you have carved out and are spending effort to defend for yourself, but even that isn't really true as if you spent a similar amount of effort securing a system in highsec, you would be literally invulnerable.

So, I'd also say that it is working as intended.
Steffles
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#398 - 2016-11-06 11:49:44 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Steffles wrote:
Violet Crumble wrote:
Steffles wrote:

Its quite simple.

Yeah nah. You simply like your fictional version so much you'll stick to it no matter what. I like fantasy too but only in novels.

Hey CPP - Time we put highsec back to how it was originally designed - http://i.imgur.com/GT0T0oS.jpg

Raca Pyrrea
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#399 - 2016-11-06 12:06:37 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

In this case it is a study that shows that there is probably no connection between ganking and new players quitting and voila,

It is also understandable that you react that way. You want to interpret the "study" your way regardless of its flaws.
The 'study' including only trials will misrepresent data of new players as many trials never commit to the game anyway. Also to consider that the 15-day trial has nothing in stake to loose while a subscribed couple of months old has more at stake to loose from a gank.
As far as interpreting the "more" or "less" likelys of the 'study': if for example a 6% of ganked joined the game vs only a 4% non-ganked joining, although it makes it more likely in favor of the ganked it still is totally insignificant difference.Taking the example in the extreme, say a 90% of the ganked joining vs 10% of the non-ganked joining will give 720 ganked people vs 6800 non-ganked people that joined the game afterwards. In fact one can then say that a lot of more people join the game that never have been ganked during trial. How about interpreting that as "a connection between ganking and new players quitting"?

There are so many factors that contribute to deciding to join the game before one even gets the chance to be ganked that its counterproductive to try to connect ganking to it with this set of data.

To make it clear I am neither a proponent of safe-heaven high-sec nor a proponent of a gank-heaven high-sec.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#400 - 2016-11-06 14:38:47 UTC
i say ban all ganking and see how the carebears react, nobody will buy your stuff and the game will just become pointless

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*