These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What is the current status of high-sec ganking?

Author
Oolong Turmeric
Doomheim
#121 - 2016-10-29 14:23:05 UTC
Hi

I'm new to the game so this may have been asked or done before.

Why not make a corp dedicated to destroying CODE. If this corp is at war with CODE can they attack CODE in HS with no repercussions? It seems it may be an enjoyable way to play.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#122 - 2016-10-29 15:17:19 UTC
Oolong Turmeric wrote:

Why not make a corp dedicated to destroying CODE. If this corp is at war with CODE can they attack CODE in HS with no repercussions? It seems it may be an enjoyable way to play.

The problem with that idea is that Code utilizes the same mechanics that "pacifists" and "carebears" use to avoid wars.

Namely;

- dropping their corporation and affiliations in-game while still remaining organized and communicating outside of the game
- jumping from player corporation to player corporation
- staying in NPC corporations that cannot be declared war upon
- dissolving the corporation and remaking it

You can't stop this behavior without also cutting off avenues for other players who wish to avoid ship-on-ship combat.

It is pretty much the same way you cannot stop lol-ganking of ships (which a lot of people amusingly find unacceptable) without making the act so unprofitable that for-profit gankers (which people find acceptable) cannot ply their trade.
Galaxy Duck
Galaxy Farm Carebear Repurposing
#123 - 2016-10-29 18:11:29 UTC
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:

Who said it was illegal to kill ships. Turn your ******** level down. Killing ships is the best part about the game and I never claimed anything different.

"They are actually required to have that as a motivation by CCP."

^ This is complete nonsense. You're saying that ganking is against the rules unless you're motivated by profit. That is false and really, pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

Please stop spreading this BS myth. Please go ask a GM about this before you misinform any more players.

I say again: It is NOT against the rules to kill space-ships in this space-ship killing game (profit or no!).
Gwenaelle de Ardevon
Ardevon Corporation
#124 - 2016-10-29 21:14:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwenaelle de Ardevon
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Legal, illegal
................ who cares.

Why are so many people scared for CODE.

Some of them play there role perfectly.
Most of them are nice peoples...

and NO!
I'm neither a member of CODE, nor do I pay for a permit ...

I'am a free space mouse, fly around, do my dutty and follow my own rules.
Big smileBig smileBig smileShockedCool

«An hour sitting with a pretty girl on a park bench passes like a minute, but a minute sitting on a hot stove seems like an hour». Albert Einstein - [11, S. 154]

More Quotes, Poetry & Prose on: https://gwenaelledeardevon.wordpress.com/

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#125 - 2016-10-29 21:48:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Shae Tadaruwa
Galaxy Duck wrote:
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:

Who said it was illegal to kill ships. Turn your ******** level down. Killing ships is the best part about the game and I never claimed anything different.

^ This is complete nonsense. You're saying that ganking is against the rules unless you're motivated by profit. That is false and really, pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

Please stop spreading this BS myth. Please go ask a GM about this before you misinform any more players.

I say again: It is NOT against the rules to kill space-ships in this space-ship killing game (profit or no!).

Bullshit. You are just posting complete rubbish to try to justify your own stupidity. Moronic level stupidity.

I'll also say again, it is absolutely not against the rules to kill spaceships in a spaceship killing game. Exactly what I wrote before too and you seem to be interpreting the first statement as the only reason that ships can be killed is for profit. That isn't what I wrote. That's purely your ridiculous interpretation, which is fantasy compared to what is actually written.

It's one of many, many reasons that can be used and is totally ok for Code. agents to gain profit from what they do if they are able to do so. It isn't anywhere near the only reason or motivations, but is a motivation (exactly what I wrote). One of many and in the case of profit, actually required by CCP (not the only motivation possible, but in the case of profit, CCP endorse it as opposed to many other motivations, which are neither endorsed nor discouraged).

Go buy a better brain. Even a carebear's brain might be a good choice for you. The little function they have is still apparently more efficient than your current one.

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Galaxy Duck
#126 - 2016-10-29 23:17:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Galaxy Duck
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
Galaxy Duck wrote:
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:

Bullshit. You are just posting complete rubbish to try to justify your own stupidity. Moronic level stupidity.

I'll also say again, it is absolutely not against the rules to kill spaceships in a spaceship killing game. Exactly what I wrote before too and you seem to be interpreting the first statement as the only reason that ships can be killed is for profit. That isn't what I wrote. That's purely your ridiculous interpretation, which is fantasy compared to what is actually written.

It's one of many, many reasons that can be used and is totally ok for Code. agents to gain profit from what they do if they are able to do so. It isn't anywhere near the only reason or motivations, but is a motivation (exactly what I wrote). One of many and in the case of profit, actually required by CCP (not the only motivation possible, but in the case of profit, CCP endorse it as opposed to many other motivations, which are neither endorsed nor discouraged).

Go buy a better brain. Even a carebear's brain might be a good choice for you. The little function they have is still apparently more efficient than your current one.

Jeez, with all that backpeddling and equivocation, I honestly can't even tell what your position is anymore.

"They are actually required to have that[profit] as a motivation by CCP." <-- Do you stand by this outlandish claim or not?

In exactly what capacity are we required to be motivated by profit? Please explain it to us.
(let me guess, you can't because we're not)
Galaxy Duck
#127 - 2016-10-31 19:48:26 UTC
Still waiting for a reply.... Should I just declare victory at this point?
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#128 - 2016-11-01 17:43:24 UTC
I'd just like to remind any hisec miners reading this thread that nullsec has much more ore and no suicide gankers.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Maxpie
MUSE LLP
#129 - 2016-11-01 20:18:55 UTC
Courier contracts are the way to go.

1. You can make more isk in than you will pay out in the time you save hauling.

2. You don't have to actually do any boring hauling.

3. Every once in a while the contract fails, making you profit and (I don't know why, but it does) bringing a smile to your face.

No good deed goes unpunished

Bing Bangboom
DAMAG Safety Commission
#130 - 2016-11-01 21:20:49 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Oolong Turmeric wrote:

The problem with that idea is that Code utilizes the same mechanics that "pacifists" and "carebears" use to avoid wars.

Namely;

- dropping their corporation and affiliations in-game while still remaining organized and communicating outside of the game

Just popping in to say that this is completely untrue in every respect. CODE. has never been dissolved much less dissolved to avoid wardecs. (Neither has my corp either so wardeccing me is always a great idea!) But the reason no one wardecs CODE. much is because its a waste of time. Most of them are -10 anyway so you can shoot them on sight. Its SEEING them before you are a ball of glowing gas that's the hard part.

Throw a wardec on CODE. and welcome to the world of impotent fury. Watch in amazement as CODE. ignores your challenges to a "fair" fight and blasts miners, freighters and unsuspecting anti-gankers into little bits as you futilely attempt to have any impact on them at all. CODE. always wins which is a good reason to not get on their bad side.

But if you can catch them, you can shoot them. Most people give up after a while of being constantly in the wrong place at the wrong time. Wardeccing CODE. is pointless as those who have tried in the past found out, usually at great cost.

Highsec is worth fighting for.

By choosing to mine in New Order systems, highsec miners have agreed to follow the New Halaima Code of Conduct.  www.minerbumping.com

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#131 - 2016-11-01 21:27:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Shae Tadaruwa
Galaxy Duck wrote:
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
Galaxy Duck wrote:
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:

Jeez, with all that backpeddling and equivocation, I honestly can't even tell what your position is anymore.

"They are actually required to have that[profit] as a motivation by CCP." <-- Do you stand by this outlandish claim or not?

In exactly what capacity are we required to be motivated by profit? Please explain it to us.
(let me guess, you can't because we're not)

OMFG. Yes I stand by that claim.

A motivation. One of many possible. Not the only and not even always the reason for any particular ganking. Still a motivation and one that CCP has expressed a view on.

My position hasn't changed. It's been consistent and remains consistent.

Your interpretation is the thing at fault. ******* idiot level understanding you have. You e made a mountain out of a molehill all because of your own personal interpretation rather than just reading the words as written.

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Atomic Virulent
Embargo.
#132 - 2016-11-02 00:46:04 UTC
JPC2501 wrote:

Is there anyway to defend against this?

No. If you aren't a 'wolf' CCP doesn't listen to, or care about you. I use the term 'wolf' very loosely. Most are more like fluffy little teacup pomeranian puppies who act tough and hardcore but won't take on another animal who will bite back.
Syn Shi
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#133 - 2016-11-02 01:04:55 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
"What is the current status of high-sec ganking?"

Don't know, I spend my play time somewhere in the 84% of New Eden that isn't high sec, where 'ganking' isn't really a thing, and where you don['t get punished for defending yourself.

Translation

I hide in a blob and only fight when the win is a sure thing.
Steffles
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#134 - 2016-11-02 02:30:00 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Oolong Turmeric wrote:

Namely;

You can't stop this behavior without also cutting off avenues for other players who wish to avoid ship-on-ship combat.

It is pretty much the same way you cannot stop lol-ganking of ships (which a lot of people amusingly find unacceptable) without making the act so unprofitable that for-profit gankers (which people find acceptable) cannot ply their trade.

The main reason you can't hurt carebears like CODE is they're a bunch of ALTs of people like Jenn. Such a person will sit safely in null in a deadend system behind a bubblefekked gate in a ratting cap making 60 mill ticks funding their CODE ganking ALTs.

you'd have to kill 21 of their thrashers per hour to cause them a loss. You can't attack them personally because they won't let you know who they are and even if you knew they wouldn't undock with a nuet in system.

Hey CPP - Time we put highsec back to how it was originally designed - http://i.imgur.com/GT0T0oS.jpg

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#135 - 2016-11-02 03:18:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Yeah, yeah, it's all RP, creating content., all that. I do appreciate the sport and science of scouting a prey, quick-calculating the DPS needed vs. NPC show-up time, coordinating things, all that. Cool.

The part about hanging over the body in Local, baiting the guy to try to draw tears, a pack showing up to pick at him an enrage the one guy-- and then posting the results in meta internets. It's fecking hisec! With newbs and casuals! They are going to be newbs and casuals, forever! Extracting tears from them is not a wonderful accomplishment, no matter what you say or even self-believe. Come on, man.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#136 - 2016-11-02 06:27:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Ima Wreckyou
Steffles wrote:
The main reason you can't hurt carebears like CODE is they're a bunch of ALTs of people like Jenn. Such a person will sit safely in null in a deadend system behind a bubblefekked gate in a ratting cap making 60 mill ticks funding their CODE ganking ALTs.

In that other thread you just accused us of never going to null because we are "scared". Now we are suddenly alts of nullsec players. I am a bit confused.

Anyway, please cry some more about us. I enjoy the tears
Iferie
Third Coast Logistics
#137 - 2016-11-02 12:59:04 UTC
Regardless of one's opinions on the ethics of strapping as much weaponry as possible onto a cheap T1 hull and pointing it at a barge, venture, industrial, or freighter. While giggling maniacally between shouts of allahu Akbar, deus vult, or whatever CODE says just prior to both ships winding up as balls of expanding wreckage. That dynamic is most certainly about to change or atleast evolve given the introduction of alpha clones. Fleets of Ventures all over the place, low skill point industrials with clown fiesta fits, piloted by those who think that autopilot is a neat labor saving feature. How long the spike in new players and the associated happy times for hisec pirates will remain to be seen.
Steffles
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#138 - 2016-11-02 13:30:49 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Steffles wrote:

In that other thread you just accused us of never going to null because we are "scared". Now we are suddenly alts of nullsec players. I am a bit confused.

Anyway, please cry some more about us. I enjoy the tears

I said you're scared to fight in null, sitting in absolute safety behind 100 bubbles in some deadend system shooting npcs with a carrier, aligned in case a nuet enters doesn't qualify as fighting :)

Hey CPP - Time we put highsec back to how it was originally designed - http://i.imgur.com/GT0T0oS.jpg

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#139 - 2016-11-02 13:34:50 UTC
At this point CCP should just delete all small haulers from the game. They are useless.

If I were to haul anything myself worth of value, I'd haul it in a combat ship.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Lasisha Mishi
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#140 - 2016-11-02 15:08:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Lasisha Mishi
Captain Tardbar wrote:
At this point CCP should just delete all small haulers from the game. They are useless.

If I were to haul anything myself worth of value, I'd haul it in a combat ship.

well the mammoth is still decent for ratting loot (of value from 10-15m).

and when i'm just transporting 1-3k cargo valued 10-15m, Wreathe works.

small haulers not useless, they just not as safe to fly.
though i'd prefer my Wreathe over a blockade runner any day in high sec. wreathe can be ignored...but blockade runner is going to have attempts taken on it regardless of it has cargo.(cloak or die)