These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

The whole "I am Olivia" thing...

First post
Author
Dom Arkaral
Bannheim
Cuttlefish Collective
#1 - 2016-10-22 04:48:16 UTC
Welp, it might have been a very elaborate scam....
Source

It disgusts me to the highest point... seeing that this could happen

On the bright side, it showed the world how good of a community we are.

(@ISD move this if needed)

Tear Gatherer. Quebecker. Has no Honer. Salt Harvester.

Broadcast 4 Reps -- YOU ARE NOT ALONE, EVER

Instigator of the First ISD Thunderdome

CCL Loyalist

MAS0RAKSH
Doomheim
#2 - 2016-10-22 04:51:37 UTC
first and we'd like a video from olivia and family that clears this matter up.
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#3 - 2016-10-22 05:12:37 UTC
MAS0RAKSH wrote:

I'd rather this whole thing just gets dealt with in private tbh.

It's been public enough and the latest developments don't help either way - whether true or a scam.

If it's a scam, then warning to us all and if it's true, then our feelings aren't really that important to warrant explanation.

Just my 0.02.
Piugattuk
Saiyans United
Death from Above..
#4 - 2016-10-22 07:12:58 UTC
Well who ever did this scam should be banned 4ever and all their stuff given to players who donated ISK for it.
Big Lynx
#5 - 2016-10-22 07:15:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Big Lynx
If that's a scam: shows the ice-cold unscrupulousness and awfulness of (hopefully a few) Eve Players

however: shows the sympathy and empathy of the majority of Eve Players
Drago Shouna
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2016-10-22 08:03:38 UTC
MAS0RAKSH wrote:

If you'd bothered reading the article you'd realise that the whole point of the op's post is that "Olivia" never existed..it looks like it was just a scam concocted to take advantage of b4r and the generosity of the player base.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2016-10-22 09:13:29 UTC
If true, which for the size of the liability that news site just created for themselves you would hope it to be.

Then not only does this need to be a perma ban offense as it was not an ingame scam, but due to the nature of isk being able to purchase real life items like EvE Vegas tickets, the relevant federal authorities need to be contacted. This is real fraud, not just an in game scam.

And extremely sickening.

The CSM gets in the way of CCP communicating properly with the players of this game.

After all we are not just players, we are customers.

Time for the CSM to be disbanded.

Salah ad-Din al-Jawahiri
Dreamweb Industries
#8 - 2016-10-22 09:22:55 UTC
To the Pitchfork Emporium, off we go!

Agent of the New Order

Live by the Code - die by the Code.

The Voice of Highsec

Geronimo McVain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2016-10-22 09:23:41 UTC
CCP made an investigation and if this really was a scam they should announce it. This is important for the community to know because the accusations are so serious.

Jevatoxa
Amandla Legion
Electus Matari
#10 - 2016-10-22 09:34:39 UTC
If this turns out to be true, it's despicable beyond belief.

My only request is that people please remember that the broadcast4reps community is still there, despite this incident.

I'll still be in the channel, so please don't let this horrific event put you off reaching out for help. We're still there for you.
Jita Priceline
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2016-10-22 11:08:47 UTC
I don't see the big deal, this is no better or worse than any other scam in the universe. A couple heart strings were pulled on and isk was siphoned out of the weak masses who felt the need to make some charitable contribution in order to clear their own sins.

Trust but verify, I do hope people don't take any of this out on B4R though, they are still a great organization and do amazing work.
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#12 - 2016-10-22 11:14:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Let's not turn this into a Lynch mob lads yeah?
CCP can and should deal with this in confidence.
tasman devil
Puritans
We want your ISK
#13 - 2016-10-22 11:37:00 UTC
I am going to play the Devil's Advocate here, but the "if it turns out to be true" sentence should have been uttered the moment the whole Olivia thing popped up.

Obviously no-one question the thing, being too on the verge of PC.

TMC did pull now a big one, I do hope that this in fact turns out to be true (ie. it is a fraud) and some consequence is handed out on the perpetrator. Scamming ingame is all fun and games but pulling one off out of game (especially with the topic of suicide, burning B4R in the process) is not something that should be taken lightly.
Evil

I don't belive in reincarnation I've never believed in it in my previous lives either...

Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#14 - 2016-10-22 11:40:03 UTC
tasman devil wrote:
TMC did pull now a big one, I do hope that this in fact turns out to be true (ie. it is a fraud)...

The reddit thread is worth a read. Particularly this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/58r7as/i_am_olivia_suicide_was_all_a_giant_scam/d92pf61/
Smack McBacon
Doomheim
#15 - 2016-10-22 12:10:03 UTC
Shame the mods locked the previous topic. Perhaps the truth would've become much clearer so much sooner. Instead the 'feel good bleeding hearts' donated their precious iskies never to be seen again.

Next time Olivia says 'i'll jump'. Most of the people here will start to say 'THEN JUST JUMP!' because of the fraudulent things that keep happening. Perhaps all this charity/Plex4good needs to stop and all the charity needs to be donated to my awesome persona and i will put it to good use.

Like #Plex4Bacon or something like that. At least i dont have a sob story, or is that what people need? When you donate you dont interact nor do anything to really help, BUT you can pad yourself on the back at night before you go to sleep, knowing you have done an awesome deed and can go back to your egocentrical life the next morning :)

Donate it all to me and sleep well.

Thank you and die slow.
tasman devil
Puritans
We want your ISK
#16 - 2016-10-22 12:20:05 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
tasman devil wrote:
TMC did pull now a big one, I do hope that this in fact turns out to be true (ie. it is a fraud)...

The reddit thread is worth a read. Particularly this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/58r7as/i_am_olivia_suicide_was_all_a_giant_scam/d92pf61/

5th of October? auch...

thanks for the thread!

I don't belive in reincarnation I've never believed in it in my previous lives either...

Mii Lady
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2016-10-22 12:45:40 UTC
not remotely surprised by this. Saw the original Facebook post at it seemed seedy . Hope the track the isk and ban hammer everyone involved.
Jagd Wilde
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#18 - 2016-10-22 12:58:38 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Let's not turn this into a Lynch mob leads yeah?

awwwww. I just picked up a new shipment of pitchforks and torches.Sad

This whole thing shows me just how caring this community can be when one of our own is in trouble.

Every alt I own has a red safety, this has brought my friends much laughter.

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#19 - 2016-10-22 13:08:38 UTC
Jagd Wilde wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Let's not turn this into a Lynch mob leads yeah?

awwwww. I just picked up a new shipment of pitchforks and torches.Sad

This whole thing shows me just how caring this community can be when one of our own is in trouble.

True but these things can (and often do) turn ugly and poisonous to the community spirit.
Don't get me wrong now I'm all for a good auld manufactured outrage as much as the next guy,
just not when that line is crossed.
Jevatoxa
Amandla Legion
Electus Matari
#20 - 2016-10-22 13:36:46 UTC
tasman devil wrote:
I am going to play the Devil's Advocate here, but the "if it turns out to be true" sentence should have been uttered the moment the whole Olivia thing popped up.

Obviously no-one question the thing, being too on the verge of PC.

It's easy to be wise after the event. I'm just sticking to the facts until it gets confirmed.
12Next page