These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: EULA Changes Coming With EVE Online: Ascension

First post First post
Author
Toobo
Project Fruit House
#561 - 2016-10-16 17:18:55 UTC
Sweetiepie, the deal's not good enough for me. Minimum 10b a day and I may consider. So either pay up or you will just have to put up with it

Cheers Love! The cavalry's here!

Sweetiepie Sugartits
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#562 - 2016-10-17 09:51:16 UTC
Toobo wrote:
Sweetiepie, the deal's not good enough for me. Minimum 10b a day and I may consider. So either pay up or you will just have to put up with it

10b per day? i'll go out of business first. i could go as high as 1.5 mil per day & that's being generous.
Toobo
Project Fruit House
#563 - 2016-10-17 12:25:33 UTC
Sweetiepie Sugartits wrote:
Toobo wrote:

10b per day? i'll go out of business first. i could go as high as 1.5 mil per day & that's being generous.

Actually let's not have any ISK transactions, because if we have ISK transaction record, and someone who was once a Goon at some point in his EVE life is found to be guilty, then the entire personal wallets of every Goons and my alliance, and its coaltions, and any alts of distant coaltion member's HS ice mining alt, could all get our wallet zeroed by mere association. I don't think you Mittens would be pleased if his wallet got zeroed and all alliance and corps disbanded because we have ISK transaction records.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#564 - 2016-10-17 12:36:49 UTC
Munted Happenstance wrote:
You might be right but I still don't think players can be considered third parties in the same way that McDonald's or Mike Tyson most definitely are.
Why not? Is being a company or famous somehow important to whether or not CCP consider them a third party? how famous exactly do you need to be to suddenly be this higher tier of third party?

If CCP is not a third party to me (for the purposes of how the EULA applies to me) then I (as a player, customer, or person bound by the obligations of the EULA) am not a third party to CCP either.
They are a third party to you, but their EULA isn't written from your viewpoint, it's written from theirs. Anyone not them is a third party from their point of view.

Another way to say this would be, for the EULA to even apply to me, then I cannot by definition be a third party.
You're not a third party to you, so if you want to transfer money to yourself and gamble with yourself on whatever you want, then technically you can. But the moment you involve any other player, you are a third party to them. So BIG can operate as long as it's run by one person and that same person is the only person allowed to play.

Even if I'm right about that, are other players within the game a third party to my own character and my relationship with CCP? We all signed the EULA and technically have a "second party" relationship with CCP but as far as how that works with interactions with each other, I really don't know.
Of course they are. I am not you, correct? And I'm not CCP either. Therefore I am a third party to your agreement. If you try to gamble through me or I through you, we would be involved in third party gambling from the point of view of the agreement we signed.

It really would help if CCP could explain in plain english what their intention is, if their intention is to ban all forms of gambling/betting being run by anyone other than themselves, then of course I wouldn't have a problem with that and wouldn't be bothering trying to clarify the EULA itself.
It's in English. They don't want people gambling with ISK or in game items, pretty simple. The EULA is purposely vague to ensure they account for edge cases. While I think the EULA would be better if it was more specific (given that they don't actually need you to breach the EULA to ban you anyway) that's not what they've chosen to do. But let's not pretend the rules are so fuzzy you can't tell if lotteries like BIG would be covered, that's disingenuous.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Munted Happenstance
Panamanian Tax Evaders
#565 - 2016-10-17 14:57:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Munted Happenstance
Oops double post, see below:
Munted Happenstance
Panamanian Tax Evaders
#566 - 2016-10-17 15:56:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Munted Happenstance
I used the case of Mike Tyson or McDonalds as examples of people who would clearly and obviously be third parties to any agreement between myself and CCP.

CCP is not a third party to me for the purposes of the EULA, they are the first party and I am the second party (as in the person agreeing and legally bound by the the EULA). If CCP or myself was a third party, then none of their EULA would apply at all, in the same way it doesn't apply to Mike Tyson - many people seem to be failing to understand this.

If the person bound by an agreement between two entities (myself and CCP) can be considered a third party, then the term "third party" has no meaning whatsoever. Consider third party car insurance. You crash your car into some random guy (Mike Tyson). Luckily you have car insurance with CCP (first party) and as a valued customer (second party) you're covered by the insurance contract that you signed (the EULA).

If your argument was correct, in the above example CCP could say "sorry, don't know ya, you're all third parties to me" even though you've been paying your insurance premiums every month for the past 10 years and have a copy of the original contract you signed right there in your pocket.

I hope you now understand why I want CCP's definition of third parties clarified, especially considering this involves intellectual property in videogames which is a pretty new thing really.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#567 - 2016-10-17 17:02:27 UTC
I used the case of Mike Tyson or McDonalds as examples of people who would clearly and obviously be third parties to any agreement between myself and CCP.

CCP is not a third party to me for the purposes of the EULA, they are the first party and I am the second party (as in the person agreeing and legally bound by the the EULA). If CCP or myself was a third party, then none of their EULA would apply at all, in the same way it doesn't apply to Mike Tyson - many people seem to be failing to understand this.
I get that, but th guy running the BIG lottery, or anyone else who is not you or CCP running a lottery, they would also be a third party to you, and so gambling with them would be a breach of the EULA.

If the person bound by an agreement between two entities (myself and CCP) can be considered a third party, then the term "third party" has no meaning whatsoever. Consider third party car insurance. You crash your car into some random guy (Mike Tyson). Luckily you have car insurance with CCP (first party) and as a valued customer (second party) you're covered by the insurance contract that you signed (the EULA).

If your argument was correct, in the above example CCP could say "sorry, don't know ya, you're all third parties to me" even though you've been paying your insurance premiums every month for the past 10 years and have a copy of the original contract you signed right there in your pocket.
No, you're totally misunderstanding the point I'm making. I'm not saying that you are a third party to CCP under YOUR agreement, I'm saying you;re a third party to them under everyone else's agreement. With your insurance analogy, I'm saying that if the random guy also had a policy with them they would still pay out to him as a third party on your policy, while he remains a second party to his own policy.

I hope you now understand why I want CCP's definition of third parties clarified, especially considering this involves intellectual property in videogames which is a pretty new thing really.
No, I don't understand. A third party is anyone that isn't CCP. While you are not a third party to CCP under your policy, you are a third party to them under mine, and I am under yours, so it we choose to gamble between ourselves we can't since under both agreements, one of us will be a third party. If you can't figure out how that incredibly basic principle works (which by the way is not new, third parties have been referenced in the EULA for a long time) then I have no idea how you even remotely grasp other more complex concepts in the EULA.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Anataine Deva
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#568 - 2016-10-17 20:01:57 UTC
Hello, I have a question:

Where is the line between a "game of chance" and a give away?

When someone decides to drop a plex in a system, so that everyone can try to grab that, then what is that if not a game of chance for the participants (second and third parties)? Will CCP ban the participants for that?

Or if someone is making a quiz and the person with the right answer is getting a prize. Isn't that a game of chance too between second and third parties?

I want to be sure and not being banned just for a donation or a give away, that others could interpret as gambling, game of chance or worse.

Give The BIG Lottery a try (it's conform with the EULA) and me your Fedos!

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#569 - 2016-10-17 21:42:20 UTC
Anataine Deva wrote:

When someone decides to drop a plex in a system, so that everyone can try to grab that, then what is that if not a game of chance for the participants (second and third parties)? Will CCP ban the participants for that?

Or if someone is making a quiz and the person with the right answer is getting a prize. Isn't that a game of chance too between second and third parties?

I want to be sure and not being banned just for a donation or a give away, that others could interpret as gambling, game of chance or worse.

If you put money down and/or participants are placing wagers then it is a game of chance.

So long as there are no side bets, and there is no money required for participation, then it should be fine....BUT CCP has been rather quiet on this one.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

James Zealot
Storm Chasers.
Pandemic Horde
#570 - 2016-10-17 23:04:12 UTC
It would be nice if they'd talk a little more on it.
Munted Happenstance
Panamanian Tax Evaders
#571 - 2016-10-18 00:28:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Munted Happenstance
Lucas Kell wrote:
No, I don't understand. A third party is anyone that isn't CCP. While you are not a third party to CCP under your policy, you are a third party to them under mine, and I am under yours, so it we choose to gamble between ourselves we can't since under both agreements, one of us will be a third party. If you can't figure out how that incredibly basic principle works (which by the way is not new, third parties have been referenced in the EULA for a long time) then I have no idea how you even remotely grasp other more complex concepts in the EULA.

If you go back to what I said earlier in the thread, I had already considered this:

Even if I'm right about that, are other players within the game a third party to my own character and my relationship with CCP? We all signed the EULA and technically have a "second party" relationship with CCP but as far as how that works with interactions with each other, I really don't know.

That is one aspect where I agree with you. I probably am a third party to your agreement with CCP. Still, at least it seems we have established that as someone agreeing to a EULA, you are not a third party yourself to CCP, so all these words haven't been completely wasted :)
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#572 - 2016-10-18 00:56:39 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

If you go back to what I said earlier in the thread, I had already considered this:

That is one aspect where I agree with you. I probably am a third party to your agreement with CCP. Still, at least it seems we have established that as someone agreeing to a EULA, you are not a third party yourself to CCP, so all these words haven't been completely wasted :)

Well CCP have been quiet on this point, but I'm guessing inside the game, no, they are not third parties.

Third parties, when CCP talks about it, is usually something outside the game, like IWI was third party (even though he had a presence in game too).

Only players talk about other players as third party, e.g. I might be the first party, and you the second party to a transaction and we might decide to go through a third party such as Chribba. But I think CCP would not see it that way, we'd all be second parties (with CCP the first party).

That is my view of it, but you are right a bit of clarification on that would help.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Anataine Deva
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#573 - 2016-10-18 07:06:33 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Anataine Deva wrote:

If you put money down and/or participants are placing wagers then it is a game of chance.

So long as there are no side bets, and there is no money required for participation, then it should be fine....BUT CCP has been rather quiet on this one.
Thank you.

I know it's nitpicking but when years of "work" are at risk a "should be fine" isn't enough.

I really wish too that CCP would tell us more about that topic, especially what they consider as within the EULA and what not. Examples are always helpful.

Give The BIG Lottery a try (it's conform with the EULA) and me your Fedos!

Ian Morbius
Potomac Greeting Card Company
#574 - 2016-10-18 16:34:46 UTC
Now, the lawyers are involved.

IWantISK were not banned by CCP Games for RMT

Wow,... guess the EULA is a real document. They'll straighten it all out.
Adaahh Gee
Dark Venture Corporation
Kitchen Sinkhole
#575 - 2016-10-18 19:36:49 UTC
Would an inactive account be removed even if it had an unused Plex in the redeeming system?
Toobo
Project Fruit House
#576 - 2016-10-19 03:21:16 UTC
FYI, for everyone here really,

If you/your corp/your alliance is running any form of ISK pay out based on a 3rd party tracking/logging/recording tool - do verify with CCP whether this is ok/against the new EULA or not.

As a general rule, I cannot give out the details of my own support ticket & GM response, but I can say that I have asked specifically about running a pvp campaign using a third party tool and paying out prize ISK based on the killboard record - with NO element of RNG or 'game of chance' involved, since all prizes will be paid out according to killboard record.

I have been clearly informed that this is NOT permitted.

I cannot comment on what/how CCP interpreted the case, but at least I can say that I used a clear example of using a third party tool for tracking in-game records and paying out ISK based on such records tracked through third party website, and this was clearly not permitted.

So if you are thinking about/already running any third party sites/tools to keep track of in-game stuff and making in-game ISK pay outs according to such, even if there is no RNG or 'game of chance' or gambling element involved at all, I strongly recommend that you check what you intend to do is against the new EULA or not.

At least for my own case, making/use of a third party website to facilitate in-game transactions was clearly judged as not ok, although there was NO 'chance' element involved in it.

So if you are doing any such things already (e.g. using third party tool to track fleet op participations and pay outs according to such tools' records, running in-house pvp comp based on third party hosted killboard records), I strongly recommend that you check with CCP and make sure you are not committing an offence.

I'm not here to argue anymore, but everyone would do well to check their own cases to make sure that you don't end up breaking new EULA unintentionally.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#577 - 2016-10-19 03:44:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Toobo wrote:

If you/your corp/your alliance is running any form of ISK pay out based on a 3rd party tracking/logging/recording tool - do verify with CCP whether this is ok/against the new EULA or not.

I wish people would keep in mind that the change to the EULA is about games of chance, not third party stuff.

For example, if an alliance builds an SRP app for their website that is perfectly fine as SRP is NOT a game of chance. If anyone, including CCP staff, considered this a game of chance then they are dumb. Because when you submit for SRP there is no more chance or probability except in the trivial sense. Either the ship was lost, probability 1, or it was not, probability 0.

As for your specific example, it may fall under the umbrella of an e-sport and the prizes could be seen as some sort of breach of the EULA since the prizes could be seen as having monetary value. Although it does seem to be a bit of stretch since there is no randomizing device which is usually critical in defining a game of chance.

There maybe confusion of a game of skill which can also entail elements of chance (you just happened to find that fat fleet of mining ships unaware your dictor was inbound to drop a bubble) but skill is the main determinant (that dictor pilot dropped the bubble on the whole fleet). Note games of skill can have a randomizing device but not necessarily.

If you have a legitimate idea in mind perhaps escalating it to a senior GM asking for additional clarification and point out you are talking about a game of skill over a game of chance--i.e. there is no randomizing device.

Toobo
Project Fruit House
#578 - 2016-10-19 03:58:41 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Toobo wrote:

I wish people would keep in mind that the change to the EULA is about games of chance, not third party stuff.

For example, if an alliance builds an SRP app for their website that is perfectly fine as SRP is NOT a game of chance. If anyone, including CCP staff, considered this a game of chance then they are dumb. Because when you submit for SRP there is no more chance or probability except in the trivial sense. Either the ship was lost, probability 1, or it was not, probability 0.

As for your specific example, it may fall under the umbrella of an e-sport and the prizes could be seen as some sort of breach of the EULA since the prizes could be seen as having monetary value. Although it does seem to be a bit of stretch since there is no randomizing device which is usually critical in defining a game of chance.

There maybe confusion of a game of skill which can also entail elements of chance (you just happened to find that fat fleet of mining ships unaware your dictor was inbound to drop a bubble) but skill is the main determinant (that dictor pilot dropped the bubble on the whole fleet). Note games of skill can have a randomizing device but not necessarily.

If you have a legitimate idea in mind perhaps escalating it to a senior GM asking for additional clarification and point out you are talking about a game of skill over a game of chance--i.e. there is no randomizing device.

Teckos, I share your exact ideas as you wrote them here, and I fully agree with you. I cannot share exact details of my communication with GM/CCP, but basically what I asked to check was following

1. Making a KB

2. Run 'campaign' on KB, where user can define the campaign parameters (e.g. only count kills in system X, only count kills vs. an alliance XXX, only count the structure kills where structure belongs to corp XXX, etc) and 'fund it', and the prize ISK is held by a regular in-game third party (either new or established ones like Chribba/Grendell/etc), and the payment is made according to the KB records when the 'campaign' is over.

3. So as an example. it would function exactly like any KB that can host 'campaign' function - things like hulkageddon, etc - count up the hulk kills at the end of the campaign period & pay out the prize isk according to recorded kills on the kb, etc.

4. No game of 'chance' or 'gambling' element involved. I specifically said there will be no lucky draws or random reward double chance or whatsoever, that every 'pay out' will correspond to 'real kill' in game, verified through API kill records,etc.

Yet I have been told this is not allowed, so that's why I'm very puzzled.

Because I too understood it as 'gambling' being banned, which I do not like but have come to accept, but I really don't see why the above scenario would NOT be permitted - because if one extends this logic then even paying ISK according to zkill record (e.g. top klillers from the corp this month) or using third party tool (TS/Discord/etc) to track & pay out fleet op participations and such would be under question.

So I have a case where I asked about very clear example of using existing mechanics and absolutely no ramdom element and got the idea rejected as 'not permitted'. My interaction with CCP on this front ends there - I do not mean to argue with CCP or challenge them or convince them or whatever - but I think this is a warning sign enough that other people who have anything to do with third party check with CCP to make sure if what they do is ok, and since I cannot publish the details of my interactions with GM here I wish people could ask CCP about this and CCP can make official announcement here.

Sweetiepie Sugartits
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#579 - 2016-10-19 08:34:04 UTC
Toobo wrote:
Sweetiepie Sugartits wrote:
Toobo wrote:

Actually let's not have any ISK transactions, because if we have ISK transaction record, and someone who was once a Goon at some point in his EVE life is found to be guilty, then the entire personal wallets of every Goons and my alliance, and its coaltions, and any alts of distant coaltion member's HS ice mining alt, could all get our wallet zeroed by mere association. I don't think you Mittens would be pleased if his wallet got zeroed and all alliance and corps disbanded because we have ISK transaction records.

Actually, you're right, let's not have me pay you to shut up, because when you inevitably don't shut up, & I stop paying you, you'll go on at length crying about not getting paid despite those being the terms you agreed to.
Elenahina
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#580 - 2016-10-19 12:30:32 UTC
What it boils down to is the same as it's always been.

If you think you're in that grey area where the rules may apply, it IS better to ask permission, as CCP rarely grants forgiveness once the bans have been distributed.

Getting an answer up front costs nothing except patience.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno