These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Repetive PC build advice

Author
Giovana Shaishi
Doomheim
#1 - 2016-10-13 22:41:52 UTC
Just wondering if someone could recommend a decent PC build from 200-300 ,dollars. Windows not included Just want something to run eve at either medium or higher settings with good fps. Old PC died and thank god.
Memphis Baas
#2 - 2016-10-13 23:17:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
"Decent" PC is typically $500-600.

200-300 is "crappy". You can find computers, designed to browse the internet and read email, and probably won't have the graphics power to display EVE.

Box is $50.
Motherboard is $80.
Processor is $80.
Memory is $50.
DVD is $50.
Hard Disk is $80.
That's $390 with no graphics card at all.

"Cheap" video card is $150. "Average" is $250. "Good" is $400. "Best" is $700.

So, basically, $500 - $600 is the price range that you'll likely need to look at.
Giovana Shaishi
Doomheim
#3 - 2016-10-13 23:20:23 UTC
Oh I wouldn't be buying all new parts. Used parts as well.
Eternus8lux8lucis
Primus Inc.
LEGIO ASTARTES ARCANUM
#4 - 2016-10-13 23:32:03 UTC
Best bet for okay computer in the crappy computer price range is schools, universities or offices in your town. Call them and ask them if they are going to be upgrading their systems anytime soon. Found a good deal for $300 on such a computer many years ago from a local university, windows included, just needed the video card. Most do it every several years and upkeep and maintenance on them is usually decent as they are office computers.

Specs are variable but most, if not all, will run eve with a video card in the $50 range stuck in.

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Giovana Shaishi
Doomheim
#5 - 2016-10-13 23:53:20 UTC
A build I was thinking of doing was buyimg a used fujitsu desktop that comes with windows installed for about 130$ or so. Then will be upgrading the GPU you in it to a gtx 770 I belive. Used of course and the ram upgraded to 8 GB of 1333mhz ram. About 80$ there.
Giovana Shaishi
Doomheim
#6 - 2016-10-14 00:00:23 UTC
Sorry this build actually if I can some or all of the parts used I'll be happy

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FP6HGf
luvmehard
Brave Rental Operations
Brave Collective
#7 - 2016-10-14 08:43:01 UTC
You will hate that HDD. Awfully slow.

.derp.

Commander Spurty
#8 - 2016-10-14 09:33:10 UTC
For $50 you can get into SSD.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Rastuasi
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2016-10-14 16:19:16 UTC
Or forego an SSD that artifacts after a month and get Black Series HDD, just a fast as SSD but without the hardware death in a year.
Giovana Shaishi
Doomheim
#10 - 2016-10-15 03:50:51 UTC
Yeah that build is just if the person is strictly to a 300 dollar budget. I'm still in college so my pay for work isn't the greastest. 20 hours average at 200$ or so before taxes. Will use about two weeks of pay or so. Just looking for any build that can run eve at medium settings with a stable fps of 30
Vincent Pelletier
Pelletier Imports and Exports
#11 - 2016-10-15 05:15:49 UTC
I'd want to avoid micro ATX mainboard and casing, they're horrible to fit stuff in/on and to expand later on.

- get an ATX midi tower
- change the mainboard to an ASRock FM2A88X PRO3+ ATX FM2+
- Change the HDD to a 500GB 7200rpm WD Caviar Blue, price difference is $5 but it'll perform so much better.
- memory wise 1600 tends to be cheaper than 1333 so pick any 8GB DDR3 -1600
- An R7 370 is 30-50% faster and costs some $50-70 more, up to you

Algarion Getz
Aideron Corp
#12 - 2016-10-15 14:57:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Algarion Getz
Hardware is so cheap in America. You cant even get a ****** office computer for 200$ here.

I recommend paying more for a decent middle class gaming PC. Buy quality hardware. Its a big initial investment, but it will last for many years.
Demolishar
United Aggression
#13 - 2016-10-15 16:23:47 UTC
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/build-8-core-gaming-pc-cheap-server-parts/
That sounds like a fun project as an alternative to buying new parts, especially if you don't pay for your electricity.

For playing EVE on one client (and for almost all games, really) your most important component by far is the graphics card. I'm using an HD5770 and I only get 25 FPS on maximum settings, so you'll need something a bit better than that for max settings. It would probably be OK for medium.

I'd also recommend stretching the budget for even a small SSD. They have stopped getting cheaper and they are not getting better, so you might as well buy one now. They make using the computer so much less unpleasant.

You should try to re-use parts from your old PC if you can such as your case and PSU, and most likely your HDD too (depending on size and interface, if it's IDE and 50GB then don't, if it's SATA 2 and 250GB then probably yes).

As for CPU/Mobo, I would go for this CPU and whatever mobo suits it:
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fKCwrH/intel-cpu-bx80646g3258
Because of the socket 1150, it will give you an upgrade path to a nice used quadcore for not much money in a few years time. With AMD you are stuck with bad CPUs forever. Also, G3258 apparently overclocks extremely well.

Just out of interest what were the specs of your old PC?
Giovana Shaishi
Doomheim
#14 - 2016-10-16 15:11:29 UTC
It was 8gb of 1333mhz corsair ram. 1tb HDD barracuda. Gtx 9500 and a gigabyte Moba. I forget which one, was an old one though. Forgot which CPU as well though. All the parts were free since I took them from my PC maitnece class closet. That fit ran eve and csgo well and fluent.
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#15 - 2016-10-16 16:57:59 UTC
Rastuasi wrote:
Or forego an SSD that artifacts after a month and get Black Series HDD, just a fast as SSD but without the hardware death in a year.

I've never lost a ssd so far and started using them exclusively in feb 2011. Haven't even looked at a hd since.

Well that's not entirely true. I use external ones for backup purposes and safekeeping of old, not regularly needed data.

Remove standings and insurance.

Barnabas Fresante
Jack Trades Unlimited
#16 - 2016-10-16 19:29:06 UTC
This is probably the best place for me to post a similar question rather than opening another thread. I have posted elsewhere that I'm trying to get into PVP but one thing that has made me nervous about doing so in the past is the performance of my computer. Things often stutter when there's a lot of stuff on screen (like frequently happens in missions especially with asteroids and dust, etc). I've never been sure if this was an internet connection issue or my graphics card, but I've been assuming its my graphics card and I really don't want to be at a disadvantage in PVP simply because my computer can't handle it. I have fairly minimal knowledge of computer hardware, but I've listed the basics of my computer below and was wondering what you'd suggest to upgrade (obviously #1 would be graphics) if I had about $300 to spend.

AMD A10-5800K APU 3.8 GHz (I believe this is 4 core)
AMD Radeon HD 7660D
6 GB Ram

I honestly don't know what the standards are today. Is my basic processor still decent? The 7660D is an integrated card that I'm just glad plays Eve at all, but watching a lot of youtubers I see flawless frame rates and beautiful renders of ships, etc and I'd love to have the same experience. Would $300 be able to get me there? Would it just require updating graphics or would I need something else as well?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Eternus8lux8lucis
Primus Inc.
LEGIO ASTARTES ARCANUM
#17 - 2016-10-16 20:36:53 UTC
For cheap I would suggest getting a good base motherboard. 4 RAM slots, dual video card slots but still around $100. Then look at the CPU list and at how much RAM it can upgrade to in the future. The more the better.

Use the case, PSU, RAM, HDD and just replace to the new mobo and upgrade your video card.

Then later on simply add parts to this. RAM will be about $50 or so a shot and because you now have more RAM slots you can just drop in new stuff. This is a VERY simple plug and play and anyone can do it. As for CPU it is the same thing but depending on how much cash you got upgrading to the next level is about a $200-300 upgrade and is very dependent on the board slot type. 1150s are good low end choices. I got burned as I didnt check the mobos on a few older computers (1151 slot) a while back but I still have a 775 thats still running Eve right now.Lol For those that dont know this is a 10 year old mobo. Then also video cards the same.

This style of upgrading can spread out your costs extremely over the years instead of a single upgrade all at once in a lump sum. Its basically leapfrogging your parts and getting the best base so you can do this. Its rather cool doing the upgrades yourself and realizing how easy it is especially when you do it with cheap parts. Early on I never spent more than $50 on a part so if I screwed up something I wasnt out a huge wad of cash.

@OP Id still go to your university's IT dept and ask them when they are going to upgrade the universities office computers and see if one of those good used ones is available to buy. They will upgrade their entire systems all at once and there might be 10-20 good used computers when they do depending on how big your uni is.

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Giovana Shaishi
Doomheim
#18 - 2016-10-17 02:23:19 UTC
I'm not in uni at the moment and they have. They destroy all their old parts though as a fun way to relieve stress. Thanks for the advice. I really just want a build that runs eve and a few old games. As well as play YouTube in the background or be able to handle simple video recordings of my PvP for learning.
Algarion Getz
Aideron Corp
#19 - 2016-10-17 11:12:58 UTC
Giovana Shaishi wrote:
I'm not in uni at the moment and they have. They destroy all their old parts though as a fun way to relieve stress. Thanks for the advice. I really just want a build that runs eve and a few old games. As well as play YouTube in the background or be able to handle simple video recordings of my PvP for learning.

They destroy them? WTF. I bet you live in Murrica.

Here they sell them for little money. I bought 8 monitors from them and sold 6 again for a little profit^^ I kept 2 of them for my 2nd PC.
Giovana Shaishi
Doomheim
#20 - 2016-10-17 15:28:11 UTC
Thats only a small part of it. Our school leases them, if they get broken or anything IT has to return them.
12Next page