These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

gas compression

Author
Mole Guy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2016-10-08 15:56:24 UTC
ingredients: gas cylinder
compress xxx gas into 1 full cylinder.
use yields xxx gas and 1 empty cylinder.

have a random timer on each cylinder as a "life expectancy" , or have a random chance (1.2364578% chance) it will fail each use. some rupture, some dont.

draw back- cylinder ruptures can cause damage to the ship its in and to the gas itself or anything else in that cargo bay.
similar to a mercoxit explosion.

or this
new skill- gas compression. 20% reduction in the chance of a cylinder rupture.

make it 10% chance to start with then drop according to the skill level.

be creative, i dont care, just let us compress this crap. =)

takes up a lot of cargo in worm holes.
Mole Guy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2016-10-08 16:01:37 UTC
maybe gas cylinders in the cargo do hull damage similar to mercoxit.
a DOT effect. cant eject it, just have to use a hull repper or someone rr you until the DOT is over.

could lose your ship. 1 cylinder rupture can lead to a greater chance of others rupturing (would get another rupture check at a higher value). maybe if a 2nd one ruptures it could lead to a cascading fault (greater number still on each other cylinder recheck).


would be fun. 1 ruptures, a 2nd one, 5 more...rorqual limps to pos at 14% structure. parks itself outside a citadel for an hour repping damage...=)
Piugattuk
Lone Star Warriors
Evictus.
#3 - 2016-10-08 20:22:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Piugattuk
Actually, your on to something, how about use a mid slot to add a mod that "fills" tanks that then go into your cargo hold, compressed gas taking up 1/10 the space.

I like the ideal.

You have to fill the mid with a module that uses ammo such as the planetary material 'base metals' that forms a cylinder when the right amount of gas is harvested, this would help move the economy while also making it better game play for the Harvester.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#4 - 2016-10-09 00:39:10 UTC
the amount of gas you can hold is ballanced to be a set amount on these ships you would see a reduction in ore hold come with this change -1 as for in general there is really no need to compress gas it's plenty small and i say that as someone who buys and hauls it for production
Piugattuk
Lone Star Warriors
Evictus.
#5 - 2016-10-09 03:37:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Piugattuk
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
the amount of gas you can hold is ballanced to be a set amount on these ships you would see a reduction in ore hold come with this change -1 as for in general there is really no need to compress gas it's plenty small and i say that as someone who buys and hauls it for production


OVERRULED, bangs gavel Blink
13kr1d1
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2016-10-09 04:23:25 UTC  |  Edited by: 13kr1d1
Gas comperssion should've been what the Orca hull did from the start. It needs to have its current job replaced by a new hull design, fitted for regular ore stuff.

If gas compressing cylinders came into play, there should a launcher that can fire them at ships for 1000 damage.

Don't kid yourselves. Even the dirtiest pirates from the birth of EVE have been carebears. They use alts to bring them goods at cheap prices and safely, rather than live with consequences of their in game actions on their main, from concord to prices

Christopher Mabata
Cynosural Edge
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#7 - 2016-10-10 02:39:38 UTC
Full disclosure im not a miner by profession by any means, i occasionally ninja wormhole gas in a prospect for cash.

I'm not against the idea of compressing gas, but it shouldn't be the kind of thing all ships can do, it should be a role given to a specific hull using some form of module or core similar to the Rorqual. Or perhaps it should be a citadel service module in lieu of a POS mod given those are going towards doomheim next year.

but like lugh said it is already fairly small and easy to move around with all we've been given.

♣ Small Gang PVP, Large Fleet PVP, Black Ops, Incursions, Trade, and Industry ♣ 70% Lethal / 30% Super-Snuggly / 110% No idea what im doing ♣

This Message Brought to you by a sweet and sour bittervet

Mole Guy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2016-10-10 10:15:52 UTC
you know,
divers fill their tanks with air on their own. they dont need to take it to stations or whatnot as long as it provides class d air (i believe).

having this as a mod you can use for mid slot is a cool idea, but it should be inherent to a rorqual and possible an orca/porpoise.

these things dont take up much space, however i used to work at texas instruments in their chemical department. the specialty chemicals need a ton of support to maintain purity. so, i would say limit it to mining boosting ships.

this would be huge in worm hole space. a couple ships floating around ninja mining gas sites. they could stay in much longer and bounce from wh to wh pulling gas. couple prospects and a cloak on a porpoise and yer talking business.

go in under boost and strip the site before sleipers show up. once complete, regroup, transfer all gas to the porpoise and compress. store in the ore hold.
it would take up a ton less space.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#9 - 2016-10-10 10:39:41 UTC
what makes you think the gas is not already compressed anyway? do you think they just let it all float around open in the hold
Mole Guy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2016-10-10 10:41:15 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
what makes you think the gas is not already compressed anyway? do you think they just let it all float around open in the hold

yep. free floats. just like ore free floats.
still gets compressed.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#11 - 2016-10-10 12:15:55 UTC
What I'm trying to get at is this is not something you want if compression of gas is added the base size of the gas will be made larger while compressed gas at most will only be slightly smaller than now. It's not like ccp picked a random value for the size and nor is the current size unbalanced
Piugattuk
Lone Star Warriors
Evictus.
#12 - 2016-10-10 15:53:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Piugattuk
Mole Guy wrote:
you know,
divers fill their tanks with air on their own. they dont need to take it to stations or whatnot as long as it provides class d air (i believe).

having this as a mod you can use for mid slot is a cool idea, but it should be inherent to a rorqual and possible an orca/porpoise.

these things dont take up much space, however i used to work at texas instruments in their chemical department. the specialty chemicals need a ton of support to maintain purity. so, i would say limit it to mining boosting ships.

this would be huge in worm hole space. a couple ships floating around ninja mining gas sites. they could stay in much longer and bounce from wh to wh pulling gas. couple prospects and a cloak on a porpoise and yer talking business.

go in under boost and strip the site before sleipers show up. once complete, regroup, transfer all gas to the porpoise and compress. store in the ore hold.
it would take up a ton less space.



You know I get what you're saying but nobody would want to use an orca nor Rorqual in such ops, now if you're talking ninja mining gas in a WH and sacrificing a mid on your expedition ship (or Venture), and carry a bit of base metal as ammo for the bottles then this works, by trying to introduce let's say a new class of ship, purity, and such makes it much more work and gas harvesting is already a long duration prospect even with T-2 harvesters each cycle takes about 30 seconds (on a bonused ship), and you will harvest 8 units with 2 harvesters (T-2).....now when you have 500 units of high sec gas this is a long time for little profit, really gas compression makes no sense in high sec, however in a WH Gas pockets are much larger with up to 6000 units or 60,000 m3, this is where compression would be useful, but harvesting that much you'll be under the table passed out from the amount of time that much takes to harvest.
Mole Guy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2016-10-11 08:56:04 UTC
Piugattuk wrote:
Mole Guy wrote:
you know,
divers fill their tanks with air on their own. they dont need to take it to stations or whatnot as long as it provides class d air (i believe).

having this as a mod you can use for mid slot is a cool idea, but it should be inherent to a rorqual and possible an orca/porpoise.

these things dont take up much space, however i used to work at texas instruments in their chemical department. the specialty chemicals need a ton of support to maintain purity. so, i would say limit it to mining boosting ships.

this would be huge in worm hole space. a couple ships floating around ninja mining gas sites. they could stay in much longer and bounce from wh to wh pulling gas. couple prospects and a cloak on a porpoise and yer talking business.

go in under boost and strip the site before sleipers show up. once complete, regroup, transfer all gas to the porpoise and compress. store in the ore hold.
it would take up a ton less space.



You know I get what you're saying but nobody would want to use an orca nor Rorqual in such ops, now if you're talking ninja mining gas in a WH and sacrificing a mid on your expedition ship (or Venture), and carry a bit of base metal as ammo for the bottles then this works, by trying to introduce let's say a new class of ship, purity, and such makes it much more work and gas harvesting is already a long duration prospect even with T-2 harvesters each cycle takes about 30 seconds (on a bonused ship), and you will harvest 8 units with 2 harvesters (T-2).....now when you have 500 units of high sec gas this is a long time for little profit, really gas compression makes no sense in high sec, however in a WH Gas pockets are much larger with up to 6000 units or 60,000 m3, this is where compression would be useful, but harvesting that much you'll be under the table passed out from the amount of time that much takes to harvest.


i disagree. ive mined numerous t3 ladar sites in wh. if you have a citadel and camped in a wh or deep space, you can collect gas of all nature, bring it back and compress it. then store. once you get enough compressed gas, run it out in blockaide or jump it to high sec and fly with dts to sell at jita. not everyone runs back to jita when we get 1 tank of gas.


for wh though, if you arent into t3 production, bring a porpoise, orca or rorqual to the belt. the prospects cut the gas and jet can. if you are parked in between the 2 belts, you can boost both and drop an mtu. 2-3 prospects or more. they dump the gas, you collect and compress. bring it out when you're ready.
Mole Guy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2016-10-11 08:58:15 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
What I'm trying to get at is this is not something you want if compression of gas is added the base size of the gas will be made larger while compressed gas at most will only be slightly smaller than now. It's not like ccp picked a random value for the size and nor is the current size unbalanced

ccp picked ore size WAY before they decided to make the rorqual and compress it. i think its totally crazy to think they are going to enlarge gas so you can compress it back down to its size now.

thats just crazy talk, sorry.
PopeUrban
El Expedicion
Flames of Exile
#15 - 2016-10-11 20:49:50 UTC  |  Edited by: PopeUrban
I think this would work best as a citadel module.

The amount of gas in any given site is small enough that on site compression isn't really a problem, unlike the massive amount of ore.

Further, giving structures unique abilities that can't be found on ships or normal station further increases their utility, desirability, and thus the liklihood of people anchoring them. More people anchoring structures means more fights over structures, more coorperation of smaller entities to band together to maintain them, and just a more dynamic and interesting game.

Heck, I'd be in favor of a "universal compression container" that could only be packed/unpacked at a special citadel module for the same reasons. It'd require facilities at both ends of your transport logistics chain, making it a solid taxable station service and a good risk/reward system for hauling in general.
Mole Guy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2016-10-12 11:37:38 UTC
PopeUrban wrote:
I think this would work best as a citadel module.

The amount of gas in any given site is small enough that on site compression isn't really a problem, unlike the massive amount of ore.

Further, giving structures unique abilities that can't be found on ships or normal station further increases their utility, desirability, and thus the liklihood of people anchoring them. More people anchoring structures means more fights over structures, more coorperation of smaller entities to band together to maintain them, and just a more dynamic and interesting game.

Heck, I'd be in favor of a "universal compression container" that could only be packed/unpacked at a special citadel module for the same reasons. It'd require facilities at both ends of your transport logistics chain, making it a solid taxable station service and a good risk/reward system for hauling in general.


im down with this. it can be a citadel or one of the new industrial citadel mods. universal compressor.. i like it.
drop one in wh space and not have to come out for a while. compress and run it out in a dst.