These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Need help understanding one thing about missils

Author
Welisa Aldent
The Minmatar Yakuza
#1 - 2016-10-05 15:41:05 UTC
What is the diffrence of autotarget missiles and regular Heavy missiles?
Esrevid Nekkeg
Justified and Ancient
#2 - 2016-10-05 15:47:49 UTC
Welisa Aldent wrote:
What is the diffrence of autotarget missiles and regular Heavy missiles?
For the former you do not need a lock on a target, for the latter you do.

Here I used to have a sig of our old Camper in space. Now it is disregarded as being the wrong format. Looking out the window I see one thing: Nothing wrong with the format of our Camper! Silly CCP......

Turelus
Utassi Security
#3 - 2016-10-05 15:51:23 UTC
Auto-Target missiles fire at those who have aggressed you and you don't need to lock up a target to fire them. So as long as someone (NPC or Player) has shot at you then you can turn the module on and it will keep shooting missiles until it runs out of ammo or targets.
When using these on NPCs as long as you have had agression from a faction within a system (warp to a belt and get shot by a Gurista) then you can turn the launchers on and shoot missiles without locking vs any targets of that faction (warp to a new belt/anom/mission) without them needed to personally aggress you.

All other missiles require you to lock you target and click the launcher for each new target.

Hopefully all that makes some kind of sense.

Turelus CEO Utassi Security

Welisa Aldent
The Minmatar Yakuza
#4 - 2016-10-05 16:08:04 UTC
thanks so much for the good answers Big smile
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#5 - 2016-10-06 04:56:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Sobaan Tali
Another tip is to "show info" on FoF's (which are literally the same thing, just another name for them) and going to the "Variants" tab and clicking on the "Compare" button at the bottom and toggling various stats on to see how they compare to other types of the same missile, including faction, T1, and T2 variants. You'll note they (FoF's) do slightly less raw damage compared to standard, but identical range and application. As others have explained they also have an on-board self-guidance seeker payload that allows them to forgo the need of normal targeting to fire and hit (though they do require that at least one opponent aggros you to work), hence their names used.

Edit: Their structure hitpoints are also, it seems, much weaker than standards. That makes them notably more vulnerable to Defender missile use if encountered, so more likely to be impacted by someone, or a rat in all likelihood, using them against you.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Welisa Aldent
The Minmatar Yakuza
#6 - 2016-10-06 05:09:43 UTC
Sobaan Tali wrote:
Another tip is to "show info" on FoF's (which are literally the same thing, just another name for them) and going to the "Variants" tab and clicking on the "Compare" button at the bottom and toggling various stats on to see how they compare to other types of the same missile, including faction, T1, and T2 variants. You'll note they (FoF's) do slightly less raw damage compared to standard, but identical range and application. As others have explained they also have an on-board self-guidance seeker payload that allows them to forgo the need of normal targeting to fire and hit (though they do require that at least one opponent aggros you to work), hence their names used.

Edit: Their structure hitpoints are also, it seems, much weaker than standards. That makes them notably more vulnerable to Defender missile use if encountered, so more likely to be impacted by someone, or a rat in all likelihood, using them against you.



Thank you,
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#7 - 2016-10-06 09:08:02 UTC
Last time I used autotargeting missiles, they were blowin up innocent structures in the site, for some unknown reasons. Ugh
DJ puar
Covert Economics
#8 - 2016-10-06 10:12:23 UTC
Turelus wrote:
Auto-Target missiles fire at those who have aggressed you and you don't need to lock up a target to fire them. So as long as someone (NPC or Player) has shot at you then you can turn the module on and it will keep shooting missiles until it runs out of ammo or targets.
When using these on NPCs as long as you have had agression from a faction within a system (warp to a belt and get shot by a Gurista) then you can turn the launchers on and shoot missiles without locking vs any targets of that faction (warp to a new belt/anom/mission) without them needed to personally aggress you.

All other missiles require you to lock you target and click the launcher for each new target.

Hopefully all that makes some kind of sense.


Just a heads up this is not always true. It works for NPCs
S. But if someone flys in to kill you the missiles will often fail to launch even if the enemy is in range and atacking you.
Memphis Baas
#9 - 2016-10-06 10:20:52 UTC
They were intended for PVP situations where you're target-jammed (ECM), but:

- missiles are unpopular for PVP cause they take a long time to get to the target
- the missile AI is dumb and doesn't pick the target that jams you, or even the highest DPS threat
- "bring friends" is a lot more effective than "bring FoF missiles just in case"

And for PVE situations, the NPCs don't use ECM that often, and in the cases where they do, you know ahead of time from spoiler sites like eve-survival.org, and can target and destroy those 2-3 NPC frigates first, before they even activate their jammers.
Turelus
Utassi Security
#10 - 2016-10-06 11:46:30 UTC
DJ puar wrote:
Turelus wrote:
Auto-Target missiles fire at those who have aggressed you and you don't need to lock up a target to fire them. So as long as someone (NPC or Player) has shot at you then you can turn the module on and it will keep shooting missiles until it runs out of ammo or targets.
When using these on NPCs as long as you have had agression from a faction within a system (warp to a belt and get shot by a Gurista) then you can turn the launchers on and shoot missiles without locking vs any targets of that faction (warp to a new belt/anom/mission) without them needed to personally aggress you.

All other missiles require you to lock you target and click the launcher for each new target.

Hopefully all that makes some kind of sense.


Just a heads up this is not always true. It works for NPCs
S. But if someone flys in to kill you the missiles will often fail to launch even if the enemy is in range and atacking you.


Thanks for the post. I don't have too much experience using FOF missiles in PvP (I honestly don't remember the last time I did) so my knowledge in their mechanics vs players isn't great.

Turelus CEO Utassi Security

Welisa Aldent
The Minmatar Yakuza
#11 - 2016-10-06 13:27:01 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Last time I used autotargeting missiles, they were blowin up innocent structures in the site, for some unknown reasons. Ugh


Shocked
Welisa Aldent
The Minmatar Yakuza
#12 - 2016-10-06 13:28:25 UTC
So much good info about autotarget missiles thanks all for the nice posts Blink
Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#13 - 2016-10-06 14:06:50 UTC
Turelus wrote:
DJ puar wrote:
Turelus wrote:
Auto-Target missiles fire at those who have aggressed you and you don't need to lock up a target to fire them. So as long as someone (NPC or Player) has shot at you then you can turn the module on and it will keep shooting missiles until it runs out of ammo or targets.
When using these on NPCs as long as you have had agression from a faction within a system (warp to a belt and get shot by a Gurista) then you can turn the launchers on and shoot missiles without locking vs any targets of that faction (warp to a new belt/anom/mission) without them needed to personally aggress you.

All other missiles require you to lock you target and click the launcher for each new target.

Hopefully all that makes some kind of sense.


Just a heads up this is not always true. It works for NPCs
S. But if someone flys in to kill you the missiles will often fail to launch even if the enemy is in range and atacking you.


Thanks for the post. I don't have too much experience using FOF missiles in PvP (I honestly don't remember the last time I did) so my knowledge in their mechanics vs players isn't great.


I remember a rather annoying Free for all we did once.... All Griffin with drones and FoF missiles. It took ages to kill anything.
Shayla Etherodyne
Delta Laroth Industries
#14 - 2016-10-06 19:01:54 UTC
Auto targeting missiles attack the nearest enemy, if the range change the next wave will switch target and not complete the kill.
From my experience in recent fights they don't target structures anymore.
Welisa Aldent
The Minmatar Yakuza
#15 - 2016-10-06 21:04:09 UTC
Shayla Etherodyne wrote:
Auto targeting missiles attack the nearest enemy, if the range change the next wave will switch target and not complete the kill.
From my experience in recent fights they don't target structures anymore.


yea i tried them in a mission they do not attack Buildings but they suck in missioning they attack diffrent targets all the time and not killing anything.

Ugh
Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#16 - 2016-10-20 10:09:23 UTC
Welisa Aldent wrote:
Sobaan Tali wrote:
Another tip is to "show info" on FoF's (which are literally the same thing, just another name for them) and going to the "Variants" tab and clicking on the "Compare" button at the bottom and toggling various stats on to see how they compare to other types of the same missile, including faction, T1, and T2 variants. You'll note they (FoF's) do slightly less raw damage compared to standard, but identical range and application. As others have explained they also have an on-board self-guidance seeker payload that allows them to forgo the need of normal targeting to fire and hit (though they do require that at least one opponent aggros you to work), hence their names used.

Edit: Their structure hitpoints are also, it seems, much weaker than standards. That makes them notably more vulnerable to Defender missile use if encountered, so more likely to be impacted by someone, or a rat in all likelihood, using them against you.



Thank you,


in missions you will see ships with 8+ guns fire 3-4 defenders in a salvo, fof or not your losing missiles....even at point blank range as I have watched my missiles get shot down 100m or less from ship to ship

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Commander Spurty
#17 - 2016-10-20 10:41:38 UTC
FOF attack the closest attackable target.

This could be your -5 corp mate, could be that guristas weapons factory, but will never be the guy jamming you from 100km perch

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Maneila Bekas
A Blessed Bean
Pandemic Horde
#18 - 2016-10-26 13:21:05 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
They were intended for PVP situations where you're target-jammed (ECM), but:

- missiles are unpopular for PVP cause they take a long time to get to the target
- the missile AI is dumb and doesn't pick the target that jams you, or even the highest DPS threat
- "bring friends" is a lot more effective than "bring FoF missiles just in case"

And for PVE situations, the NPCs don't use ECM that often, and in the cases where they do, you know ahead of time from spoiler sites like eve-survival.org, and can target and destroy those 2-3 NPC frigates first, before they even activate their jammers.




Missiles are not unpopular for PVP....
Maybe you wanted to write "Missiles are unpopular for running Incursions" :D

Outnumbered, Outgunned You have the Choice *Overheat your MWD and fly directly into the enemy pack with Guns blazing...and then, that silent moment only one Server Tick away...

"CYNO UP, CYNO UP - JUMP JUMP JUMP - Primary is ..."

*A BRAVE HERO