These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Imperial Authorities Convene Following Coronation Week

Author
Ayallah
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2016-10-05 19:42:17 UTC
Amarr Empire Enters New Era as Imperial Authorities Convene Following Coronation Week

Lina Ambre wrote:
AMARR PRIME – Empress Catiz I has convened inaugural meetings of the Privy and Theology Councils under her reign, moving quickly to act on the vision she laid out in her public address to the Imperial Guard following her coronation last week.

Formally opening a full session of the Theology Council in Dam-Torsad's Hall of Divine Truth and Justice, Empress Catiz I asked the several thousand assembled deacons and justices of the council to carefully consider how "faith may truly be reconciled with prosperity and power in the New Era." Following her remarks the full session was adjourned and the sixty-strong Supreme Sobor of Theology began a closed door meeting.

After opening the assembly of the Theology Council, Empress Catiz returned to the Imperial Palace and convened a meeting of the Privy Council. It is understood that this first meeting was limited to the so-called "Closed Council", an exclusive gathering of Empress, Court Chamberlain and the six Royal Heirs. Matters for discussion are said to include appointments to various positions in the administration of the Amarr Empire. Not least among such offices is the post of Imperial Chancellor, left vacant by the late Lord Aritcio Kor-Azor.

The Privy Council will also hear various petitions, including the charge of blasphemy brought by the Grand Master of the Order of St. Tetrimon against the Kor-Azor Succession Trials Champion, Lysus, for his sustained public outburst during the Empress's inspection of the Imperial Guard.

In related news, Sanmatar Maleatu Shakor appeared at the Grand Caravanserai on Matar, today, apparently to report to the Tribal Council in closed session on his surprise visit to Amarr Prime to attend the coronation and festivities of that week. Although the Sanmatar's close associate, former Ambassador Keitan Yun, accompanied him during the trip, the Scope has not been able to determine his present whereabouts.

Sanmatar Shakor briefly spoke to reporters at the Grand Caravanserai, saying, “It was my pleasure to attend the coronation of the new Empress, and I must say that I found the whole affair most interesting and satisfying. As you know, the Amarr have a surprising capacity for entertaining spectacles and for my own part I greatly enjoyed the fireworks.”

Goddess of the IGS

As strength goes.

Ayallah
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2016-10-05 20:07:00 UTC
The Supreme Sober and the Privy Council in the Empire and the Tribal Council in the Republic met in closed door meetings today, perhaps all discussing the same things? The Empress's new vision of trade and 'reconciliation' maybe? Empress Jamyl's will may have additional changes as well.

The closed manner of the meetings implies there was something to discuss.

Goddess of the IGS

As strength goes.

Deitra Vess
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#3 - 2016-10-05 20:18:02 UTC
Maybe something good can come of this.....
Nauplius
Hoi Andrapodistai
#4 - 2016-10-05 20:41:15 UTC
Lina Ambre wrote:

Formally opening a full session of the Theology Council in Dam-Torsad's Hall of Divine Truth and Justice, Empress Catiz I asked the several thousand assembled deacons and justices of the council to carefully consider how "faith may truly be reconciled with prosperity and power in the New Era."

Translation: "All I really care about is money. Find me some Scriptural fig leaves to justify that."
Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#5 - 2016-10-05 21:09:07 UTC
Nauplius wrote:
Lina Ambre wrote:

Formally opening a full session of the Theology Council in Dam-Torsad's Hall of Divine Truth and Justice, Empress Catiz I asked the several thousand assembled deacons and justices of the council to carefully consider how "faith may truly be reconciled with prosperity and power in the New Era."

Translation: "All I really care about is money. Find me some Scriptural fig leaves to justify that."

I have never really understood why being poor is particularly sacred, although I understand that some holy men combine that state with 'unwashed and stinking' to achieve a particularly elevated state of holiness.

Don't understand it, myself. If your philosophy doesn't lead to success then what use is it?

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Elanion
#6 - 2016-10-05 21:12:39 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
If your philosophy doesn't lead to success then what use is it?

The devil is in the definition of success.

RIP YC111-115"The project discarded, its subjects forgotten... thence must the burden be shouldered."

Arrendis
TK Corp
#7 - 2016-10-05 22:03:51 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
I have never really understood why being poor is particularly sacred, although I understand that some holy men combine that state with 'unwashed and stinking' to achieve a particularly elevated state of holiness.

Don't understand it, myself. If your philosophy doesn't lead to success then what use is it?

Actually, Pieter, this one's a pretty simple one to field:

The reason poverty is considered holy (or at least, there's an accepted cultural recognition of a correlation between spirituality and poverty) by more cultures than just the Amarr is that the spiritualist is rejecting the temptations of the material world. They are taking and using only what they need to survive, and putting their energies into meeting the needs of their community, be that in terms of spiritual guidance or simply in living selflessly and giving everything they don't need to others.

As Elanion there says, it's all in the definition of 'success'. If the spiritualist's goal is putting the well-being of others ahead of his own, then amassing personal wealth would be failure, but helping others to meet their needs and care for their families would be success. There's certainly a case to be made that an industrialist like yourself, aggregating vast wealth and putting all of it to the service of the community, performs a greater individual service than one impoverished holy man, but at the same time, the intent is to provide an example.

By surviving in poverty, and remaining a vibrant, active part of the community that he helps to support, the spiritualist reminds others that they, too, can put the needs of the community above their own, even if they don't take it to the extreme that he does. It's hard to complain that you only make 50,000 ISK a week when the guy who works tirelessly in the area you live in, helping the sick, comforting the afflicted, guiding the lost, that guy makes—if [i]anything[/i[—a tenth of what you make, and he's not complaining.

Focus on that element: the spiritualist is there to remind the rest of us that the more we all work for the betterment of one another, the stronger our communal efforts become, and the more they benefit us all.
Pieter Tuulinen
Khimi Harar
#8 - 2016-10-05 22:08:00 UTC
Arrendis wrote:

Actually, Pieter, this one's a pretty simple one to field:

The reason poverty is considered holy (or at least, there's an accepted cultural recognition of a correlation between spirituality and poverty) by more cultures than just the Amarr is that the spiritualist is rejecting the temptations of the material world. They are taking and using only what they need to survive, and putting their energies into meeting the needs of their community, be that in terms of spiritual guidance or simply in living selflessly and giving everything they don't need to others.

As Elanion there says, it's all in the definition of 'success'. If the spiritualist's goal is putting the well-being of others ahead of his own, then amassing personal wealth would be failure, but helping others to meet their needs and care for their families would be success. There's certainly a case to be made that an industrialist like yourself, aggregating vast wealth and putting all of it to the service of the community, performs a greater individual service than one impoverished holy man, but at the same time, the intent is to provide an example.

By surviving in poverty, and remaining a vibrant, active part of the community that he helps to support, the spiritualist reminds others that they, too, can put the needs of the community above their own, even if they don't take it to the extreme that he does. It's hard to complain that you only make 50,000 ISK a week when the guy who works tirelessly in the area you live in, helping the sick, comforting the afflicted, guiding the lost, that guy makes—if [i]anything[/i[—a tenth of what you make, and he's not complaining.

Focus on that element: the spiritualist is there to remind the rest of us that the more we all work for the betterment of one another, the stronger our communal efforts become, and the more they benefit us all.

Fine. That's a great argument for setting up a system that generates wealth and then DISSEMINATES that wealth across the community according to need. It isn't a great argument for setting up a system that fails to generate and disseminate wealth.

I understand a little bit about collectivism. Last time I checked, I was Caldari, and what I've done with most of the wealth surplus to my needs and the needs of my family is invest it and donate it to charities.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Mitara Newelle
Newelle Family
#9 - 2016-10-05 22:45:52 UTC
Ayallah wrote:
Amarr Empire Enters New Era as Imperial Authorities Convene Following Coronation Week

Lina Ambre wrote:
The Privy Council will also hear various petitions, including the charge of blasphemy brought by the Grand Master of the Order of St. Tetrimon against the Kor-Azor Succession Trials Champion, Lysus, for his sustained public outburst during the Empress's inspection of the Imperial Guard.

Justice.

Lady Mitara Newelle of House Sarum, Holder of the Mekhios province of Damnidios Para'nashu, Champion of House Sarum, Sworn Upholder of the Faith, Divine Commodore of the 24th Imperial Crusade

Admiral of Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris

Nauplius
Hoi Andrapodistai
#10 - 2016-10-05 23:17:06 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Nauplius wrote:
Lina Ambre wrote:

I do not say that being poor is particularly sacred, although there are some wayward and liberal Amarrians who fetishize the poor and the enslaved.

I say only that the new Empress is little more than a money-grubbing merchant.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#11 - 2016-10-06 00:00:01 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:

Fine. That's a great argument for setting up a system that generates wealth and then DISSEMINATES that wealth across the community according to need. It isn't a great argument for setting up a system that fails to generate and disseminate wealth.

I understand a little bit about collectivism. Last time I checked, I was Caldari, and what I've done with most of the wealth surplus to my needs and the needs of my family is invest it and donate it to charities.

Oh, nonononono, I wasn't saying that argument's a justification for establishing a system that fails the community. I'm just saying that that impulse is why the intentionally poor who are still laboring for the betterment of their community are held as sacred in some cultures.

The unintentional poor? No no. We need to keep working to get all those resettled and emancipated Matari out of the education and refugee camps and into someplace they can call 'home', in communities they can call their own and be productive parts of... but you and I have spoken at some length on those principles, and I think we're in pretty strong agreement there.

Really, in a lot of ways, the Tribe/Clan system isn't so different than what I understand of the Caldari system, we just have somewhat different areas of focus and emphasis.
Grooz 2000
Imperial's Capsulers
#12 - 2016-10-06 00:20:32 UTC
Nauplius wrote:

Yes! She miner.
With snotty story (I'm all she has achieved)

In this world you can not influence events.

We can only accept this or leave. (с) Best friend

Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#13 - 2016-10-06 00:35:29 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:

Material success is finite. Spiritual success is eternal. While the two can be done side-by-side, one can also be done to the detriment of the other. Any philosophy that sacrifices the spirit for material gains is an evil philosophy.
Ibrahim Tash-Murkon
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#14 - 2016-10-06 01:31:33 UTC
I believe Pieter expressed a view which closely aligns with my own. Wealth is a tool; arguably an essential one. Prayer sustains the soul but it cannot buy bread, build a church, or print Pax Amarria. I think God does reward the faithful and the good in the here and now and, when that blessing manifests itself in the form of material prosperity, then the recipient both has the privilege of enjoying physical comfort and the duty to leverage his good fortune to the betterment of society.

The Imperial economy has been stagnant for sometime and the lack of competitiveness and growth undermines our position in the Cluster and inhibits our ability to pursue policies like poverty reduction, education access, healthcare expansion, and proselytization to the degree and with the material backing we would ideally like.

If it is true that the Empress and Her Privy Council are planning on making economic reform a key area of focus in the beginning of Her reign then I welcome that enthusiastically.

"I give you the destiny of Faith, and you will bring its message to every planet of every star in the heavens: Go forth, conquer in my Name, and reclaim that which I have given." - Book of Reclaiming 22:13

Lord Kailethre
Tengoo Uninstallation Service
#15 - 2016-10-06 01:41:21 UTC
Nauplius wrote:
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Nauplius wrote:
Lina Ambre wrote:

I do not say that being poor is particularly sacred, although there are some wayward and liberal Amarrians who fetishize the poor and the enslaved.

I liked you better when you stuck to that one particular kind of heresy.
Karmilla Strife
Khimi Harar
#16 - 2016-10-06 01:55:21 UTC
Lord Kailethre wrote:

I think he's just drawn to whatever gets him attention. He's jealous of Lysus.
Deitra Vess
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#17 - 2016-10-06 03:14:53 UTC
Lord Kailethre wrote:
Nauplius wrote:
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Nauplius wrote:
Lina Ambre wrote:

You prefer him murdering people?
Jenna Kyriel
Doomheim
#18 - 2016-10-06 04:07:03 UTC
Nauplius wrote:
Lina Ambre wrote:

Nauplius wrote:

Your open and dismissive blasphemy is noted, captain.

It is also entirely pointless. The Empress is the single most powerful, sacred and blessed human in the cluster. She has been entrusted the most important duty any soul can carry and as such, she lacks for nothing. Whom do you think the wealth is for then, should we entertain the idea that the Empress seeks to ensure a steady flow of material wealth?

I for one would be very glad to know that the Empress cares about making sure the Amarrian Empire remains stable, strong, true to God, and wealthy. I have no reason to assume she will discontinue her policies that made her former House so affluent, now that she has ascended from her former position of Heir. Because of that her current aims and goals as implied here remains perfectly consistent. This is indeed to be expected for anyone with even a passing knowledge of her past actions.
Pieter Tuulinen
Khimi Harar
#19 - 2016-10-06 04:55:07 UTC
A wealthy ally is a strong ally - that is my primary care.

Valerie Valate
Church of The Crimson Saviour
#20 - 2016-10-06 05:33:19 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
I have never really understood why being poor is particularly sacred

For members of the nobility, taking up the vows, and joining a monastery or nunnery, renouncing material wealth to do so, is a particularly powerful statement.

It means that individual is placing their religious belief above that of the Great Game of political scheming, conflicts, marriages of convenience, begetting of heirs, and all the other things associated with the politics of the Noble Houses.

Doctor V. Valate, Professor of Archaeology at Kaztropolis Imperial University.

12Next page