These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Anti Gank Skiff fit.

Author
Escore
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2016-09-21 08:28:18 UTC
So I have been away from EVE for a while.. (65 months according to account) But decided to give the game another go, I mean who can resist a space game. Anyway I found out the hard way hisec aint as safe as it used to be , suicide ganked In my Macki on my first day out mining...my bad.. this aint a complaint, its EVE it happens... So looking to build a tanky Skiff just to a : survive long enough for concord to arrive b: not be such a juicy/easy/fast kill.
Since after 65 months away I am kinda a newbie again, can anyone give me some ideas for tanky Skiff fits.. I have looked on line for this but al the fits I see seem to be fairly old and things change over time.

Thanks in advance.

Escore.
Do Little
Bluenose Trading
#2 - 2016-09-21 08:40:19 UTC
Skiff can easily fit a battleship class tank in the 100K EHP range. Gankers are unlikely to bother you unless it is personal.

[Skiff, Skiff]
Damage Control II
Mining Laser Upgrade II
Mining Laser Upgrade II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
EM Ward Amplifier II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Medium Shield Extender II
Survey Scanner II

Modulated Strip Miner II, Plagioclase Mining Crystal II
Modulated Strip Miner II, Plagioclase Mining Crystal II

Medium Core Defense Field Extender II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

This fit has 101,080 EHP with my skills according to EFT (not updated for latest changes - I manually added the second strip miner)
Escore
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2016-09-21 08:42:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Escore
Ah that looks nice ..have to check my skill set see if I need anything ... but looks good to me.

and thanks.
Cherri Minoa
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2016-09-21 10:39:43 UTC
Personally I use a tanked Procurer, which gives an EHP around 65,000 but at a fraction of the cost of the Skiff. That tends to make it even less attractive to gankers. However, it's a personal choice. The main thing is to avoid the squishy ships, be spacewise, avoid going afk, and of course avoid the assumption that hi-sec = safe.

"If I had been censured every time I have run my ship, or fleets under my command, into great danger, I should have long ago been out of the Service" - Horatio Nelson

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2016-09-21 10:59:26 UTC
Since you've played last PvP in high sec has expanded greatly. Ganking of mining barges is a big thing now and has been for several years. Also now a days any high sec carebear corp that is actively recruiting is under almost permanent war decs.

Cherri Minoa in the post above me is in a corp that is very active and a sov holder in Provi which is NRDS space. That is null sec space which is open to anyone that behaves themselves. NRDS means Not Red Don't Shoot.

IMHO once you gain access to the intel channels and learn how to use the tools available to you for determining who is red, you are much safer in null sec than you are in high sec. Yes we still have the broken cloaky camper mechanic that makes is so that you essentially can't mine in that system when cloaky campers are present but there are plenty of systems to choose from.

Also the ore types are better in null and the refine rates can be better as well.

So if you plan on sticking with the game and don't want to deal with gankers and mission intrusion then I suggest giving null sec a try. If you spend the time to look around you can probably find the situation that is right for you.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Escore
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2016-09-21 11:54:48 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Since you've played last PvP in high sec has expanded greatly. Ganking of mining barges is a big thing now and has been for several years. Also now a days any high sec carebear corp that is actively recruiting is under almost permanent war decs.

Cherri Minoa in the post above me is in a corp that is very active and a sov holder in Provi which is NRDS space. That is null sec space which is open to anyone that behaves themselves. NRDS means Not Red Don't Shoot.

IMHO once you gain access to the intel channels and learn how to use the tools available to you for determining who is red, you are much safer in null sec than you are in high sec. Yes we still have the broken cloaky camper mechanic that makes is so that you essentially can't mine in that system when cloaky campers are present but there are plenty of systems to choose from.

Also the ore types are better in null and the refine rates can be better as well.

So if you plan on sticking with the game and don't want to deal with gankers and mission intrusion then I suggest giving null sec a try. If you spend the time to look around you can probably find the situation that is right for you.

Never considered Null-Sec before thanks for the advice, I like the whole industrial/mining thing as I really aint very good at PVP even though I know its what EVE is all abt.... I don't AFK mine never have .. But I suppose if heading for Null-sec then you really have to be in a corp for support if nothing else.
Piugattuk
Litla Sundlaugin
#7 - 2016-09-21 14:13:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Piugattuk
I got the most ungankable fit ever, do not undock it, there is no fit that will help you survive a coordinated well planned attack.

Your better off using strategies like staying out of high population systems, use a well fit procurer, a skiff is a better fleet toy then a solo miner, you could buy like 7 procurer's for the price of a skiff AND you can get full coverage insurance sometimes even making ISK on it when and if you loose it, where a skiff you just won't get the insurance payout to pay for even 25% of the cost of the skiff.

There are tards who gank only for the lulz and not even profit, so keep that in mind.

And even in null here's what happens as well https://youtu.be/tAsbsTW2Oew

Also consider getting an expidition mining frigate like the Prospect that you can cloak up fast since you say you don't AFK this is really best, I use them and have had people pop in and I immediately cloak, they start looking around and I just sit and wait for them to get bored or warp to another field, if you mine like your in low sec you will be almost 100% safe, also D scan is your friend, you see combat probes take off.

https://youtu.be/uPj-wpJJ7Y8
Do Little
Bluenose Trading
#8 - 2016-09-21 16:38:17 UTC
I've mined in highsec and nullsec. Not really a fan of nullsec mining because you need to maintain situational awareness - at least in my part of null and I prefer to multitask, work on other things while my ore hold fills. These days, I buy most of my minerals but occasionally mine in highsec with 2 skiffs - one pilot has a Foreman mindlink so I harvest a lot of ore without a lot of effort. The station where I refine is 1 or 2 AU distant so it takes less than a minute to offload and return to the belt.
Piugattuk
Litla Sundlaugin
#9 - 2016-09-21 17:33:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Piugattuk
Do Little wrote:
I've mined in highsec and nullsec. Not really a fan of nullsec mining because you need to maintain situational awareness - at least in my part of null and I prefer to multitask, work on other things while my ore hold fills. These days, I buy most of my minerals but occasionally mine in highsec with 2 skiffs - one pilot has a Foreman mindlink so I harvest a lot of ore without a lot of effort. The station where I refine is 1 or 2 AU distant so it takes less than a minute to offload and return to the belt.

Yup, same feeling about null, I've mined there but ultimately found it too busy always being on alert for reds in system, sure you still have to pay attention in high but not like you do in null, local/alliance/Corp/D-scan/rats....the list goes on, + if a cloaky hostile is in your system this also kills mining, and then there's moving stuff out to trade hubs...just found that it's more involved then I want to be for myself.
Shallanna Yassavi
qwertz corp
#10 - 2016-09-22 01:46:22 UTC
Bring a book or a second monitor. You don't want to cover up local with whatever you're doing to keep from going insane.

Other strategies for dealing with gankers:
Mine in the middle of nowhere. Amarr space is usually pretty quiet, not many barge gankers around.
A lot of Amarr dead-end systems away from trade hubs are so quiet, you could probably get away with jetcan mining. If you do that, make sure you bring a properly PvP-fit combat ship and know how to use it, just in case someone decides they want your ore.

A signature :o

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#11 - 2016-09-22 23:35:30 UTC
I'm also in a Providence based NullSec corp and Alliance. I can echo the sentiments about mining there. When you get things working right, you make much more in Null than in HiSec and you have people backing you up. You still have to be vigilant and ready to go but WarDec's are irrelevant and if you have a red in system, you can pounce on it if you want or more likely, have corp/alliance mates that are happy to do it for you.

Get in the right corp/alliance if you are going to NullSec and you won't miss HiSec at all. I know I don't.
Winter Archipelago
Autumn Industrial Enterprises
#12 - 2016-09-23 02:24:21 UTC
For those who insist on mining in highsec, I strongly advocate to mine in level 1 Security missions. A number of them have asteroids in them, and for the L1 Security missions, you can clear them in a frigate.

The three big perks with this are:

1. Gankers will have to combat scan you down. This makes you significantly less attractive as a gank target, assuming they even know you're there. DScanning for combat probes will keep you pretty safe in this regard.
2. Many of the missions (and their asteroids) are behind acceleration gates. If you aren't scanning for combat probes, you can drop your DScan down to ~500k km in order to have your in-gate on DScan, and not much else. If something that isn't you, an alt, or a mate, show up, they're probably there to gank you.
3. The belts in missions are significantly healthier than anything in a "public" belt, and if you play your cards right, you can have it respawn at full health each day at downtime for up to seven days. Many of the asteroids are large enough that you can fill a Retriever's hold (with split lasers) and still have some left over in space.

EUNI's wiki on Mission Mining: http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Mission_Mining

Barring any of that, then I, too, shall echo the positive sentiments towards Providence and Provibloc. They're a fun bunch of buggers and it's not a bad place to get your sea legs under you.
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2016-09-24 09:36:04 UTC
There is no such thing as an anti-gank fit.
There is just the "making a gank attempt non-profitable" fit

If someone really wants you to explode
you're going to explode
even if that means bringing 50 other people along to accomplish it
and yes, they WILL bring along 50 other people

tl/dr

If someone really wants you to explode
you're going to explode