These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Occator

Author
Rumbaldi
Lucifer's Hammer Holdings
#1 - 2016-09-20 09:59:24 UTC
I have been trying to find a decent occator fit for null sec hauling but cannot fin done. My current setup is 41k EHP but I was under the impression that these could be tanked much higher than that. Can anyone advise on a decent fit please?
Khan Wrenth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2016-09-20 10:37:14 UTC
Okay, I've never flown an Occator, but I can toy with PYFA well enough, here's what I got.

First, the context: you're discussing nullsec, so I'm assuming bubbled gatecamps, omnitank needed and buffer preferred over active tank.

This is probably a case where having a forward scout is more valuable and more important than any module you fit to your ship. That said, here's what I got...

Highs-
improved cloaking device II

Mids-
compact microwarpdrive 50mn

Lows-
Damage control II
800mm steel plates II
EM hardener II
Explosive hardener II
Kinetic hardener II
Thermal hardener II

Rigs-
Medium trimark armor pump II x 2

Requires 3% powergrid implant

Remember that if you get jumped, overheat all of the things. Your occator gets a bonus to overheat. If you jump into a bubbled gatecamp, try to do a quick mwd+cloak back to the gate, and preheat everything. If they uncover you before you jump, activate all hardeners and your MWD to get to the gate as fast as possible.

If they commit all ships to attack you on that side of the gate, nobody can follow you through for a full minute due to aggression timers. If they're smart and hold some people back to follow you through the gatejump, well, you're probably toast. Try the Cloak+MWD again to either get to warp or into a direction and change direction mid-cloak, try to fool them and sneak away slowly. I haven't personally been in this situation, but I've seen it play out on Youtube videos. Some guy got a Mastadon out of a gatecamp doing that.

Depending on your alliance capabilities, you could try having a cyno in the highs instead.

If your needs are as such that the above setup does not work for you, I don't know how else to help. I see a lot of really bizarre ship setups on zkill that don't make a lick of sense to me, but the particulars of nullsec hauling might explain that.

Speaking of zkill - that's always a handy resource. Search for the ship you want to fit, see their losses, and see how people generally fit their ships. Obviously they lost the ship so something went wrong, but it can open you up to some interesting ideas. Sample a LOT of them and look for good trends. Also look at the sort of damage they were able to tank before they died, and the sort of foes that were on the killmail. That should give you some help so long as you can spend the time to analyze the data presented.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2016-09-20 11:02:18 UTC
Inertia Stabilizers II
Inertia Stabilizers II
Warp Core Stabilizer I
Warp Core Stabilizer I
Reinforced Bulkheads II
Damage Control II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Experimental 10MN Afterburner I
‘Cetus’ ECM Shockwave I

Improved Cloaking Device II
Core Probe Launcher I, Core Scanner Probe I

Medium Transverse Bulkhead I
Medium Transverse Bulkhead I

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Rumbaldi
#4 - 2016-09-20 12:14:30 UTC
Thanks, Ill take a look at both fits, I do scout the Occator so hopefully it will never get "done" but nothing is ever perfect. I remember taking it to a tactical, scout was in the next system along, I got up to speed as as soon as I hit the warp button a red came in system, he was in an inty and on gate quickly. I was lucky that time, I stopped warp, he aggressed which allowed me to jump and get away, but it was nerve wracking and showed that just a bit of bad luck in timing can potentially ruin your day
Paranoid Loyd
#5 - 2016-09-20 23:58:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Go with Lan's fit, however I personally would go with 3 bulkheads instead of WCS as well as T2 rigs (the hull cost easily justifies this), these changes will get you almost an additional 20k EHP, which is useful in all situations where you get caught whereas the WCS are only useful in niche situations.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#6 - 2016-09-21 00:39:21 UTC
Khan is spot with the overheat bonus but keep in mind that the bonus is for effectiveness only.

Be very careful with heat on a deep space transport because you will not be able to offline modules any quicker than on those.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#7 - 2016-09-21 00:41:32 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Go with Lan's fit, however I personally would go with 3 bulkheads instead of WCS as well as T2 rigs (the hull cost easily justifies this), these changes will get you almost an additional 20k EHP, which is useful in all situations where you get caught whereas the WCS are only useful in niche situations.

Sad but she forgot the micro-jump-drive..

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Paranoid Loyd
#8 - 2016-09-21 01:59:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
elitatwo wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:

I dunno, you could go either way, if you get scrammed with the AB you at least have a chance to get back to the gate if the DPS is anemic. If you get scrammed in any of these situation you're pretty screwed but finding yourself with no prop mod and trying to get back to the gate at 43m/s as opposed to 134m/s the AB seems preferable.

Something that would certainly weigh on my decision that I am unsure of: Does the MJD get shut off by HIC points?

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Rumbaldi
#9 - 2016-09-21 09:41:29 UTC
Thanks elitatwo & lloyd. I that all makes good sense, ill set it up tonight when home.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2016-09-21 09:53:16 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:

thats not my fit tbh, but id pretty much fit it the same anyway but as loyd said i would use 3 bulkheads which gives a massive ehp boost, never even thought about puting mjd on a dst Shocked

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Sheeth Athonille
Rabid Dogz Mining
#11 - 2016-09-21 09:59:29 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:

Something that would certainly weigh on my decision that I am unsure of: Does the MJD get shut off by HIC points?

Yes it does since a few patches ago.

Would an MJD be able to fit if you take off the ecm (and possibly a cheap implant)? I feel like the ecm is going to be useful far less often compared to a MJD.

Also of note, in null sec you're more likely to come across gate camps that don't have scrams, only bubbles and long points, so a MJD is more useful than in low.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2016-09-21 10:01:06 UTC
mjd cloak trick is also quite funny Cool