These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Every year, there are less users playing, why??

First post
Author
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1641 - 2016-09-06 09:43:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Infinity Ziona
Lord Xar wrote:
Because its pointless I just got used to it after a few years afk get a escalation that took me ages to get it goes to null sec great manage to do it grab the loot boom 1.2 billion isk my biggest ever score better than 20 million here and 10 million there. And ofc on the way out jump gate goes straight into a sphere cant warp away ganked by 14 people lose ship and first ever chance to get ahead on the damn game. That's why it only has a few thousand players its unforgiving. True my inexperience is a factor I should have fit the interdiction thingy to my tengu also as well as stealth .But that's just frakking brutal 6 hours or so this chain took me this morning its not even the isk its the time I wasted I think i'll go back to fps games again .

You think that's bad. Yesterday I spent 6 hours in a typhoon flying around trying to get a fight. All I got was locked and as soon as my HRML hit they'd jump and run. Was multi-boxing and warping a drake around, landing in a bubble, Stratios and Thrasher, though cool finally a fight, engaged, falcon decloaked and I went to make a coffee while they chewed slowly through shields. Stupid frustrating boring game unless you like fighting fights that you're guaranteed to win or guaranteed to lose.

Edit: Before anyone tries to say I'm whining about Falcon, I have a fully skilled Falcon alt, I used him once and the fight was so boring I never used him again. I could have put him in an Arazu, Curse, whatever ship I wanted and used him to tackle but then I'd be taking no risks and I prefer risky solo. He's lost about 10 drakes & battleships in the last month, all 2 and 3 vs him solo and 80% of those went fro 3 v 1 to +10 people ganks that's the mentality of EvE players.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1642 - 2016-09-06 10:41:45 UTC
Unfortunately solo pvp ends up a lot like that since people just don't like losing
I find group much more fun, usually a lot less one sided and many more variables lead to unpredictable and fun gameplay
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1643 - 2016-09-06 11:04:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Infinity Ziona
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Unfortunately solo pvp ends up a lot like that since people just don't like losing
I find group much more fun, usually a lot less one sided and many more variables lead to unpredictable and fun gameplay

Yeah losing ships is no big deal for me. Plenty of isk. Losing 6 hours is a bit frustrating though. I ended up putting HRML on and 1 Torp so shoot the torp at things to bait them into thinking I was an easy kill. Still didn't work. II could fly a Svipul or Garmur or whatever but then if everyone does that whats the point of larger hulls. Fleeting is okay but it invariably ends up with you sitting at a gate or whatever shooting singles, the smaller side, you or them not engaging and the majority of the time just sitting.

Its a tough choice. I **** you not, in those 6 hours I saw nothing bigger than a cruiser and that was 1 Vexor that run away. Rest were inties, thrashers, svipul, corax.....

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1644 - 2016-09-06 11:57:08 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Lord Xar wrote:
Because its pointless I just got used to it after a few years afk get a escalation that took me ages to get it goes to null sec great manage to do it grab the loot boom 1.2 billion isk my biggest ever score better than 20 million here and 10 million there. And ofc on the way out jump gate goes straight into a sphere cant warp away ganked by 14 people lose ship and first ever chance to get ahead on the damn game. That's why it only has a few thousand players its unforgiving. True my inexperience is a factor I should have fit the interdiction thingy to my tengu also as well as stealth .But that's just frakking brutal 6 hours or so this chain took me this morning its not even the isk its the time I wasted I think i'll go back to fps games again .

You think that's bad. Yesterday I spent 6 hours in a typhoon flying around trying to get a fight. All I got was locked and as soon as my HRML hit they'd jump and run. Was multi-boxing and warping a drake around, landing in a bubble, Stratios and Thrasher, though cool finally a fight, engaged, falcon decloaked and I went to make a coffee while they chewed slowly through shields. Stupid frustrating boring game unless you like fighting fights that you're guaranteed to win or guaranteed to lose.

Edit: Before anyone tries to say I'm whining about Falcon, I have a fully skilled Falcon alt, I used him once and the fight was so boring I never used him again. I could have put him in an Arazu, Curse, whatever ship I wanted and used him to tackle but then I'd be taking no risks and I prefer risky solo. He's lost about 10 drakes & battleships in the last month, all 2 and 3 vs him solo and 80% of those went fro 3 v 1 to +10 people ganks that's the mentality of EvE players.



That phoon has a nice big drone bay, can carry fof missiles and easily fits and mjd.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

TheVirus32
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1645 - 2016-09-06 12:11:14 UTC
We just need more hamsters.
Lord Xar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1646 - 2016-09-06 18:32:29 UTC
I'm sorry I don't believe I suffer with Dunning–Kruger effect.
I am just a forty year old alcoholic disillusioned with life and genuinely cannot be bothered to type properly . Please forgive me Big smile
Solecist Project
#1647 - 2016-09-06 18:38:32 UTC
Heh, great response mate. ^_^

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Gaellia Bonaventure
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#1648 - 2016-09-06 19:48:27 UTC
Eve Online is an economic simulator. You're probably only going to squeeze so much high pressure excitement out of that.

In other words take the game for what it is and don't expect it to provide you with things it was never designed to do....despite what the advertising says.

It's an economic simulator. Albeit a fun one. Nothing more.

Bring your possibles.

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1649 - 2016-09-07 04:51:55 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Lord Xar wrote:
Because its pointless I just got used to it after a few years afk get a escalation that took me ages to get it goes to null sec great manage to do it grab the loot boom 1.2 billion isk my biggest ever score better than 20 million here and 10 million there. And ofc on the way out jump gate goes straight into a sphere cant warp away ganked by 14 people lose ship and first ever chance to get ahead on the damn game. That's why it only has a few thousand players its unforgiving. True my inexperience is a factor I should have fit the interdiction thingy to my tengu also as well as stealth .But that's just frakking brutal 6 hours or so this chain took me this morning its not even the isk its the time I wasted I think i'll go back to fps games again .

You think that's bad. Yesterday I spent 6 hours in a typhoon flying around trying to get a fight. All I got was locked and as soon as my HRML hit they'd jump and run. Was multi-boxing and warping a drake around, landing in a bubble, Stratios and Thrasher, though cool finally a fight, engaged, falcon decloaked and I went to make a coffee while they chewed slowly through shields. Stupid frustrating boring game unless you like fighting fights that you're guaranteed to win or guaranteed to lose.

Edit: Before anyone tries to say I'm whining about Falcon, I have a fully skilled Falcon alt, I used him once and the fight was so boring I never used him again. I could have put him in an Arazu, Curse, whatever ship I wanted and used him to tackle but then I'd be taking no risks and I prefer risky solo. He's lost about 10 drakes & battleships in the last month, all 2 and 3 vs him solo and 80% of those went fro 3 v 1 to +10 people ganks that's the mentality of EvE players.



That phoon has a nice big drone bay, can carry fof missiles and easily fits and mjd.

What do friend or foe missiles or drone bays have to do with flying around for 6 hours not able to find a fight? If youre referring to the Falcon thing that was on an alt I was multiboxing. I wasnt flying him in drake with Phoon I was roaming both solo around Pure Blind and Deklein looking for fights.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#1650 - 2016-09-19 14:55:48 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Discordia Duenna wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Discordia Duenna wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Not sure if you've played the game lately but it literally sucks balls.

PvE is a turd.

PvP is non-existent unless you consider 10 x svipul and 5 garmurs vs anything easy to kill pvp. Anything not easy to kill they simply fly away till they find something easy to kill.



Haven't people always tried to fly away? Didn't you found Privateers? iirc it was 10 x t1 dessies and 5 Falcons back then right? :P

You are right though PvE is a turd, needs more variety and randomness to it, so people have to think more on their feet.

People have always tried to fly away and people have always tried to stop them.

CCP create balance though, in terms of hull size, speed and dps, damage application and tank.

The smallest ships such as the interceptor were very fast, could kite but did little damage or could brawl but needed to take a scram, they popped at the slightest damage.

The larger ships could do more dps, but were slower, to do max dps they needed to get scrammed.

There was a balance. No balance anymore so all I'm seeing in space are disposable t1's because of the above or T3D's and Garmurs.


I have to admit I agree with this, but also Gilas, Gilas everywhere.

On the other hand, we do actually see people using t1's. Noobs are able to feel like they aren't surrounded by a sea of t2 and logging off for weeks while they wait for the skills everyone says are mandatory to having fun. Horde bring alot of t1, they have a lot of fun doing so too. But I see your point, the BS class is now in a very sorry state, stuck in a no mans land of capitals that finally can defend themselves against subcaps (great change tbh) and cruisers that simply have better kiting prospects and applied dps.

Yeah Horde is awesome. Never met so many people who could care less about getting blown up non-stop :)


I heard even Harry Forever is in Horde now.. good times
Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#1651 - 2016-09-19 14:58:17 UTC
Denavit wrote:
Is is because PLEX prices, i remember buying them at 550mill, 500mill, now is almost 1bill, or is it because the changes are making oldSchoolers quit?


it's just sad goons leaving, all fine..
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1652 - 2016-09-19 22:20:55 UTC
I like how alpha clones have flipped the premise of this thread on its head. One major upside will be activity on eve-o. Assuming you can post with an alpha clone, and I hope that's the case.

I'm not saying anything about the post quality. I just think activity ~metrics~ will improve.
oiukhp Muvila
Doomheim
#1653 - 2016-09-19 22:24:30 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
I like how alpha clones have flipped the premise of this thread on its head. One major upside will be activity on eve-o. Assuming you can post with an alpha clone, and I hope that's the case.

I'm not saying anything about the post quality. I just think activity ~metrics~ will improve.



It will certainly settle some long argued points.
Allowing people free access will show if anyone but existing Eve players even care to log in, or post.


What happens if CCP does this and gets an initial bump, then after a few months, the only Alphas that log in are established players or their alts?

BrundleMeth
What IU Doing
Brothers of Tangra
#1654 - 2016-09-19 23:27:43 UTC
Valkorsia wrote:
Very simply.

There's nothing sexual in the game. Sexuality is a big part of life, and it is non-existent in a game of life and death ... and Eve has even managed to nerf my nipples. Do you see nipples anywhere? No. It's ridiculous.

#Freethenipple

Actually yes, I am rubbing my nipples right now while staring at your Avatar...
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1655 - 2016-09-20 05:21:42 UTC
BrundleMeth wrote:
Valkorsia wrote:
Very simply.

There's nothing sexual in the game. Sexuality is a big part of life, and it is non-existent in a game of life and death ... and Eve has even managed to nerf my nipples. Do you see nipples anywhere? No. It's ridiculous.

#Freethenipple

Actually yes, I am rubbing my nipples right now while staring at your Avatar...


Do you work for a cable company? Lol

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Milla Goodpussy
Garoun Investment Bank
#1656 - 2016-09-20 05:33:06 UTC
immersion is a problem which ccp cant handle or deal with.

here you have Eve Online.. one of the largest shared servers in gaming history...

yet you cant even share your damn captain quarters with anyone..

you cant even walk up to a friend to see the new clothes they spent real money for... oh sure you can nerdly right-click profile and view full body.. but cmon.. is that really needed in a sandbox mmo?? its not.. its stupid and mainstream players view it as that.

too many whined against WiS..that it killed immersion.. so instead we have citadels with no interiors just to look at a ship.. not our entire fleet hanger.. not even spinning for fawks sake.. this is the part new players just cant believe they're signing up for..

and some think its ok.. they instantly go on hate tirades about WoW and what ever else..hey guess what haters. those games still have way more players than we do and you're not helping at all by holding back the full potential of this age old game at all.

honestly look at the numbers.. the numbers show itself that eve online is suffering from complete bad thinking..

Dust 514 playstation's home lounge was full of folks socializing.. hell it was way better than reading all that spam crap in jita's local for sure.. and even there you had mini-games where all players could just chill at... you'd assumed this would have been on the pc-end but nope.. nothing at all.

so why are there less players every year?? cause players are finally getting fed up waiting for eve online to catch up with other games!!
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1657 - 2016-09-20 05:52:08 UTC
Milla Goodpussy wrote:

so why are there less players every year?? cause players are finally getting fed up waiting for eve online to catch up with other games!!


EVE has out lived all of those other MMOs, even the mighty WOW has bled millions of subs.

The problem is EVE has been moved to be more like those other games and as it has done so it has lost content and thus players. We no longer see the big ticket events not because people don't want to run them but because CCP have removed the ability to run them. We no longer see things like ninja salvaging and jetcan piracy, not because people dont want to do it but because CCP have all but removed it.

We have lost a lot of content over the last 5-6 years.
Anthar Thebess
#1658 - 2016-09-20 08:01:08 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Milla Goodpussy wrote:

so why are there less players every year?? cause players are finally getting fed up waiting for eve online to catch up with other games!!


EVE has out lived all of those other MMOs, even the mighty WOW has bled millions of subs.

The problem is EVE has been moved to be more like those other games and as it has done so it has lost content and thus players. We no longer see the big ticket events not because people don't want to run them but because CCP have removed the ability to run them. We no longer see things like ninja salvaging and jetcan piracy, not because people dont want to do it but because CCP have all but removed it.

We have lost a lot of content over the last 5-6 years.

Above this eve was less expensive in our young days.
Still remember drake fleets, and people roaming in other battle cruisers.
T2 ship was not much more expensive than is now, but people could also have fun in normal T1 ships.
Hurricane was godly.
This was the fun days.

Now after constant "balances" you need to have numbers to fly in T1 crap or need to invest in T2 or pirate ships.
Price of the plex is direct effect of the eve economy - and way for CCP to make good isk.
The only bad thing i see are the sp farms.
I personally know 4 people that run over 1.000 characters, yesterday on reddit we had a guy proving that he was running over 200 chars.
I know that this is eve and players will abuse every mechanic, but prefer that this 1200 characters ; 300 accounts where active alts of 300 people.
This way you could actually see them on the grid at some point.
Horde of extracting alts can earn CCP some isk, but don't bring any benefit to the game itself.

Nov will change eve, will it be for good who knows. For sure it will be easier to create huge extractor farms, and milk them moment they will be profitable.


Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#1659 - 2016-09-20 13:45:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
baltec1 wrote:
Milla Goodpussy wrote:

so why are there less players every year?? cause players are finally getting fed up waiting for eve online to catch up with other games!!


EVE has out lived all of those other MMOs, even the mighty WOW has bled millions of subs.

The problem is EVE has been moved to be more like those other games and as it has done so it has lost content and thus players. We no longer see the big ticket events not because people don't want to run them but because CCP have removed the ability to run them. We no longer see things like ninja salvaging and jetcan piracy, not because people dont want to do it but because CCP have all but removed it.

We have lost a lot of content over the last 5-6 years.


CCP does tend to (inadvertently...I think) stomp on content. I remember back when FW started you could attract faction police to you and tank them, which made for some really fun Raids on enemy high sec territory (I was Gallente, we raided Nourv twice only to find the Caldari militia had sacked Villore while we were gone lol). CCP killed it.

And I used to rat in tanked t1 cruisers and even t1 HAULERS with assigned fighters while spamming "hot drop this!" in local to an afk cloaker. Then CCP create the conditions for Skynet (ie they let fighters get bonuses from drone mods on the carrier that launched them) and to kill Skynet they killed fighter assist, which killed a fun way to counter afk cloaking.

It's not jsut PVP, there are lots of PVE things I used to be able to do that I can't do as well now because of some change or another. Not a big deal, things change, but one could hope CCP would learn a bit more about how their game fits together when they make piecemeal changes

That being said, Milla my have an accidental point. I've known lots of people who came to EVE because "there was nothing else" and played EVE not because they liked EVE's rough and tumble style and community, but because "EVE has potential, it could be great one day".

Some of those people did leave, partly because CCP never delivered on it's unrealistic/utopian promises (that only a fool would have believed in the 1st place), but also because a much better game for which a person to direct their unattainable and unrealistic hopes on is being made. It starts with an "S" and ends with "tar Citizen" Twisted
Shallanna Yassavi
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1660 - 2016-09-20 21:46:49 UTC
Dirty Forum Alt wrote:
Valder Ripley wrote:
StonerPhReaK wrote:
Eve needs to appeal to this generations wants.

...

Cant say CCP isnt trying. But this generation is a picky one. Gonna be hard to reel in these fish. Just gotta give them more of what they want than what they are willing to make for themselves.


I don´t know.
I mean, I totally agree with you about what this generation of younger players want.

My first question is, how many younger and older players came and left EvE in the last 10 years?
Are there demographic statistics?

My second question is, would it be better for CCP and EvE to appeal to the younger or older generations wants? Blink
I would say, younger players have more time, but no money - older players have more money, but no time.
Double bind Ugh

Whether it is their own money or their parents' money the younger generation of gamers spends *way* more RL $$$ on games than the older gamers in general - so it is really a no-brainer from the financial standpoint.

Yes and no.
They may spend way more, but they don't stick around nearly as long.
Most MMOs have problems when they're empty. Most MMOs have a lot more scripted content to play through solo, and most MMOs are built around said scripted content.
Retention and participation are a lot more important in this one. Without people actually playing, it's a really bad themepark.

A signature :o