These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Don't know where to go from here.

Author
Rogasus Hakuli
The Forgotten Veterans
#1 - 2016-09-19 11:35:09 UTC
Hi all,

Having a bit of a problem atm due to the fact that my life in general falls into a category where being part of an active corp is simply out of the question.
Eve for me seems to be compelling and very interesting in concept, but I am finding the time constraints to severely damage my gaming time which at the moment consists of a bit of mining, maybe some exploration or local combat sites or just doing mundance missions.

It's a real shame as I know that there is a great game here but I'm struggling to play it due to everything being done solo.

My sub runs out at the end of the day so if anyone could come up something that I'm missing here (other than the obvious active corp bit) then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rogasus Hakuli
Lulu Lunette
Savage Moon Society
#2 - 2016-09-19 11:41:40 UTC
I wouldn't sell yourself short. Even if you could only login a couple times a week, there are corporatioms that would take you in. Obvious advice Smile

Try looking into some passive activities like Planetary Interaction and/or researching BPO's.

@lunettelulu7

Memphis Baas
#3 - 2016-09-19 11:42:41 UTC
You seem to be equating corp membership with time constraints / duty to log in. That's not always the case; there are completely casual groups, both in high-sec and in low / null / wormhole, that may be able to accommodate your playing times.

Otherwise, or if you disagree, it comes down to whether it's worth it for you to pay $15 / month to just train some skills. Because you can set up a long skill training plan, and come back in a year to a character that has access to more ships and can fly them relatively well. Because skill training happens regardless of whether you're logged in or not.

As you've seen, the game is very shallow in terms of solo PVE activities; the meat of the game is in player groups, in socializing and politics and wars. If you're bored solo now, you'll be bored solo every time you try to come back to the game.
Rogasus Hakuli
The Forgotten Veterans
#4 - 2016-09-19 12:04:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Rogasus Hakuli
Lulu Lunette wrote:
I wouldn't sell yourself short. Even if you could only login a couple times a week, there are corporatioms that would take you in. Obvious advice Smile

Try looking into some passive activities like Planetary Interaction and/or researching BPO's.

Thanks for the advice, might look into PI.

Memphis Baas wrote:
You seem to be equating corp membership with time constraints / duty to log in. That's not always the case; there are completely casual groups, both in high-sec and in low / null / wormhole, that may be able to accommodate your playing times.

Otherwise, or if you disagree, it comes down to whether it's worth it for you to pay $15 / month to just train some skills. Because you can set up a long skill training plan, and come back in a year to a character that has access to more ships and can fly them relatively well. Because skill training happens regardless of whether you're logged in or not.

As you've seen, the game is very shallow in terms of solo PVE activities; the meat of the game is in player groups, in socializing and politics and wars. If you're bored solo now, you'll be bored solo every time you try to come back to the game.

This is pretty much how my mind is thinking atm hence why I made the thread. You seem to have hit the nail on the head there and it certainly mirrors my concerns.
Rogasus Hakuli
The Forgotten Veterans
#5 - 2016-09-19 14:17:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Rogasus Hakuli
Decided to resume my subscription as I feel that It would be daft to throw in the towel right now.
Memphis Baas
#6 - 2016-09-19 15:21:20 UTC
Toss in another $20 for a PLEX, sell it on the Market (don't transport it there, go there first then redeem it into your station hold), and you'll be set with more than enough ISK for buying the 100+ different skills that you'll likely need.

Don't go for every ship, just pick two races that you like and go for the standard T1 ships up to battlecruiser, really. Then go for their preferred weapons.

Then go for the support skills. Almost everything in Armor, Shields, Engineering, Mechanic, Navigation, Targeting, etc. improves the performance of all future ships. Support skills are not wasted skills. Set them in the queue, train them to 3-4, and you'll be set.
Silen Serine
#7 - 2016-09-19 16:32:52 UTC
Cool that you decided to stick around.

As a student with a full-time job, I feel your pain. Being on a global server helps as there is an active community no matter your login window. Also, the passive playstyle of some industry tasks means that you can effectively generate income for your Corp even when you are offline (like with PI suggested above). When you're able to put the time in, people will likely be glad to have you in fleet.

I'm "newish" myself (with barely any experience in the above) so I can't comment much beyond that, but with the right environment and people, you can contribute in spite of the constraints. Good luck!

(Addendum: a quick plug for Project Discovery, an easy way to make tens of millions of ISK early in the game with no skilling required. Helps with skillbook costs!)
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2016-09-19 16:38:00 UTC
Join "Spectre Fleet" channel ... chose fleet, x-up and have fun PvP without obligations, just shot things or die gloriously. After this you will never look back at solo mining ...

I'm my own NPC alt.

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2016-09-19 21:27:28 UTC
It sounds to me like you are equivocating Eve corp membership with Tribe / Guild membership in other MMOs.

While I am sure there are some corps that try to run things as if it were a guild, I can assure you that is not the case across the board and probably a fairly slim minority of the cases.

Most corps in Eve are fairly laid back and just looking for people that are fun to fly with. Even if that only meand for a couple hours here and there. There is no inherent end game in Eve and no progression like there is in other games. There is no structured PvP with set numbers on each side with level and gear requirements to assure some degree of balance.

The way this works out is that Eve tends to be much more like a pick up game at a playground of kid of various ages, sizes and skill level. What I mean is people tend to find a place for everyone where they can play at what ever commitment level suits them.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Crying Assassin
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2016-09-20 15:54:23 UTC
Corps like ISF (intersun freelance) do not place any demands on players you play or you don't real life comes first with them.
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#11 - 2016-09-20 16:03:24 UTC
Tipa Riot wrote:
Join "Spectre Fleet" channel ... chose fleet, x-up and have fun PvP without obligations, just shot things or die gloriously. After this you will never look back at solo mining ...

^This. NPSI fleets are fantastic.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/