These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

EXEFILE Login To Be Discontinued On September 20th

First post First post
Author
Muul Udonii
THORN Syndicate
Northern Coalition.
#201 - 2016-09-09 20:16:09 UTC
This will literally stop me playing the game.

The new launcher does not work and CCP have ignored all bug reports I filed.

Guess I should not have resubbed an account yesterday since I'll only get another 12 days of play out of it.
Drazz Caylen
Team-Pyro Industries
#202 - 2016-09-09 20:43:06 UTC
I see nothing wrong with CCP Darwin's statement. I don't know about you guys, but Edd Cobon-Han stated how playing on Intel HD graphics is not fun. This infers he actually gets into the game via the launcher and only uses the exefile to make sure his dedicated GPU gets to work. All the hyperboles thrown by later users about how to boot something which doesn't work in order to fix something seems to be a lack of reading comprehension. I stand corrected if the written context differs from the explicit meaning.
CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#203 - 2016-09-09 23:20:55 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Darwin
Muul Udonii wrote:
CCP have ignored all bug reports I filed.

Please do not assume this is the case.

A lot of work happens behind the scenes when you submit a bug report, and we do not guarantee a personal response to bug reports (since, unlike support tickets, bug reports are not for requests for personal help.)

Your bug reports are quite valuable to us, and we very much appreciate that you take the time to write and submit them.

Edit: When reporting launcher issues, it is essential that you attach launcher logs to your report manually. These are not automatically submitted, even in-game, at this time. You can find your launcher log files by choosing Show in Explorer -> Launcher Logs from the launcher menu. Please include any log files that cover the time period around when the problem you're experiencing occurred.

CCP Darwin  •  Senior Software Engineer, Art & Graphics, EVE Online  •  @mark_wilkins

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#204 - 2016-09-10 01:40:13 UTC
Drazz Caylen wrote:
Jynx Archipedigo wrote:
Hence the complete quantifiers in my statement, plus the concession I may have been mistaken in advance.
Is there a reason why you completely ignored the explanation I've given you and decided to answer in wide swaths to a later post containing a snappy remark which didn't even answer your question? Just wondering.


Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Also paragraphs bro. Use them
Before executing superficial low blows, make sure your own grammar is in check Blink
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
More people who no idea what they're talking about complaining about things they don't understand...


Wasn't a stab at the guys grammar it was a plea for my eyes.

Don't be so quick to be anti-grammar nazi, just makes you look like a fool when it backfires
0mni Ca
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#205 - 2016-09-10 02:36:12 UTC
What about the known Launcher bug preventing accounts from being remembered. Basically accounts get removed from launcher and you have to readd them back to launcher. So if you have more than 1 account, it can be aggravating.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#206 - 2016-09-10 02:43:10 UTC
I have multiple accounts and it's literally happened like twice in 6 months, from those purges that they told us happened
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#207 - 2016-09-10 02:43:50 UTC
CCP Darwin wrote:
Muul Udonii wrote:
CCP have ignored all bug reports I filed.

Please do not assume this is the case.

We are not assuming anything. We base this conclusion on one very observable fact:

The bugs do not get fixed.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Dravar
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#208 - 2016-09-10 04:01:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Dravar
The exefile is just needed as a backup because CCP keeps butchering the launcher when changing it, making groups of people unable to play, and is too incompetent to test the new launcher thoroughly before releasing it.
Nakaara Adahsa
Deep Void Enterprises
#209 - 2016-09-10 09:05:03 UTC
Tanalasin Saraki wrote:
I'm actually beginning to wonder if any of these people complaining have thought that it might be down to one simple thing... like letting it have access through your firewall???

Sometimes it can be little things like that, that people seem to overlook.


Most of the people on this thread who have reported login issues via the launcher have described it as either sporadic or intermittent with high frequency, i.e., anywhere from a small to large percentage of the time. Firewall configuration issues usually manifest at a 100% failure rate, so that's not consistent with these launcher symptoms.

However, if the firewall is embedded in router hardware, then it is quite possible that either routing-related configuration or a hardware malfunction could cause periodic login failures. In this case, though, I would expect a lot of other internet applications to have periodic or perhaps constant problems.

A number of months ago I had an old hardware-based firewall that began to degrade bandwidth, drop packets, etc. This didn't cause any problems for EVE actually, but some streaming applications were severely affected until I replaced the hardware.

The latter is a positive data point for EVE: I had a customer-side network issue that both the launcher and the game client were able to handle OK without any apparent effect on either login or the game.

The launcher login issues I've experienced are separate from the above incident. They occurred long before that hardware began to malfunction, and they persisted after I replaced it. Login via Exefile has been reliable for me throughout all of this and for several years of playing the game.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#210 - 2016-09-10 10:28:11 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
CCP Darwin wrote:
Muul Udonii wrote:
CCP have ignored all bug reports I filed.

Please do not assume this is the case.

We are not assuming anything. We base this conclusion on one very observable fact:

The bugs that I feel need to be fixed first are not fixed yet


Ftfy
Warlord Balrog
303rd X-SOLDIER
#211 - 2016-09-10 12:05:48 UTC
Dravar wrote:
The exefile is just needed as a backup because CCP keeps butchering the launcher when changing it, making groups of people unable to play, and is too incompetent to test the new launcher thoroughly before releasing it.


Hypothetically speaking, you design something new. Now you think you're ready to release it to the public. What's a better testing platform:

Hire 5 people and have them do all the work
-or-
Release a beta to the public (millions of people) and see if they find more bugs.

Which will be quicker?
Which will produce more bug reports?
Which will be more accurate?
Which will cover more platforms and hardware?

So, by assuming no testing is being done, you just considered yourself a moot point. I'm not personally attacking you, just pointing out an unrecognized fact.

As far as holding off the exefile change. This is a 50/50 shot. One one hand, it gives those who exploit security the upper hand, but also reduces playerbase. One the other hand, those who have patience to stick around with a game they claim to love and still have the passion to argue over will be more secure, and less people can steal your belongings. Which reduces on support and security tracking down more thefts.

So I ask you and everyone else this: Would you rather put all your (assets) eggs in one basket and hope nobody finds it, or stand up for your game by properly submitting a bug report as CCP suggested and worse case scenario, you don't sub for a month?
Emrys Alf
4S Corporation
Goonswarm Federation
#212 - 2016-09-10 13:49:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Emrys Alf
Came on today and back to 0 on a windows machine.. carefully put in 10 accounts and they are all gone.
20 min of wasted time that needs to be repeated and leaves a worry that it will happen again.

CCP Darwin wrote:
Muul Udonii wrote:
CCP have ignored all bug reports I filed.

Please do not assume this is the case.

Then how about letting people know that their bug report has been received and processed. I filed many over 6 months (2 or so years ago) about mac crashing after opening more than one client. Bug is still there (Had to buy an evil windows machine). Never heard a thing so gave up.
Dravar
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#213 - 2016-09-10 14:11:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Dravar
Warlord Balrog wrote:
Dravar wrote:
The exefile is just needed as a backup because CCP keeps butchering the launcher when changing it, making groups of people unable to play, and is too incompetent to test the new launcher thoroughly before releasing it.


Hypothetically speaking, you design something new. Now you think you're ready to release it to the public. What's a better testing platform:

Hire 5 people and have them do all the work
-or-
Release a beta to the public (millions of people) and see if they find more bugs.

Which will be quicker?
Which will produce more bug reports?
Which will be more accurate?
Which will cover more platforms and hardware?

So, by assuming no testing is being done, you just considered yourself a moot point. I'm not personally attacking you, just pointing out an unrecognized fact.

As far as holding off the exefile change. This is a 50/50 shot. One one hand, it gives those who exploit security the upper hand, but also reduces playerbase. One the other hand, those who have patience to stick around with a game they claim to love and still have the passion to argue over will be more secure, and less people can steal your belongings. Which reduces on support and security tracking down more thefts.

So I ask you and everyone else this: Would you rather put all your (assets) eggs in one basket and hope nobody finds it, or stand up for your game by properly submitting a bug report as CCP suggested and worse case scenario, you don't sub for a month?


If what you say is what they are actually doing and they are intentionally releasing buggy launcher versions so that their customers will test it for them, then it only makes sense to have an alternative in case it breaks.

By the way, imagine if all game developers adopted the mentality that you suggest and everyone just started to release their software full of bugs because their paying customers will take care of finding the bugs.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#214 - 2016-09-10 14:40:26 UTC
Dravar wrote:
Warlord Balrog wrote:
Dravar wrote:
The exefile is just needed as a backup because CCP keeps butchering the launcher when changing it, making groups of people unable to play, and is too incompetent to test the new launcher thoroughly before releasing it.


Hypothetically speaking, you design something new. Now you think you're ready to release it to the public. What's a better testing platform:

Hire 5 people and have them do all the work
-or-
Release a beta to the public (millions of people) and see if they find more bugs.

Which will be quicker?
Which will produce more bug reports?
Which will be more accurate?
Which will cover more platforms and hardware?

So, by assuming no testing is being done, you just considered yourself a moot point. I'm not personally attacking you, just pointing out an unrecognized fact.

As far as holding off the exefile change. This is a 50/50 shot. One one hand, it gives those who exploit security the upper hand, but also reduces playerbase. One the other hand, those who have patience to stick around with a game they claim to love and still have the passion to argue over will be more secure, and less people can steal your belongings. Which reduces on support and security tracking down more thefts.

So I ask you and everyone else this: Would you rather put all your (assets) eggs in one basket and hope nobody finds it, or stand up for your game by properly submitting a bug report as CCP suggested and worse case scenario, you don't sub for a month?


If what you say is what they are actually doing and they are intentionally releasing buggy launcher versions so that their customers will test it for them, then it only makes sense to have an alternative in case it breaks.

By the way, imagine if all game developers adopted the mentality that you suggest and everyone just started to release their software full of bugs because their paying customers will take care of finding the bugs.


Erm there's this thing called early access, not sure if you heard of it.....
Vasili Zaitsez
HIgh Sec Care Bears
Brothers of Tangra
#215 - 2016-09-10 15:03:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Vasili Zaitsez
Dravar: "The exefile is just needed as a backup..." in the event of unforeseen failure Seems to be a lot of agreement here

Warlord Balrog:
"Hypothetically speaking, you design something new. Now you think you're ready to release it to the public. What's a better testing platform:

Hire 5 people and have them do all the work -or- Release a beta to the public (millions of people) and see if they find more bugs.

Which will be quicker? Which will produce more bug reports? Which will be more accurate? Which will cover more platforms and hardware?" This is not a hypothetical, its a fact. MicroShaft did this with Win10 while results were shall we say, mixed, Win10 was FREE

"As far as holding off the exefile change. This is a 50/50 shot. One one hand, it gives those who exploit security the upper hand, but also reduces playerbase. One the other hand, those who have patience to stick around with a game they claim to love and still have the passion to argue over will be more secure, and less people can steal your belongings. Which reduces on support and security tracking down more thefts." Deleting exe file is not a 50/50, its a 100% shutout for those the launcher does not work for. No matter how much passion or love for EvE you may have, when you cant get in, you cant get in, end of story

"So I ask you and everyone else this: Would you rather put all your (assets) eggs in one basket and hope nobody finds it, or stand up for your game by properly submitting a bug report as CCP suggested and worse case scenario, you don't sub for a month?" This not the worst case, its actually best case.

You want me to be your bug tester? Glad to do it! Allow me to register my accounts as Beta/Dev accounts. Give me free Omega access to the accounts as long as I am debugging for you. You can expect detailed bug reports from me on a regular basis

Don't play on gamers loyalty to this game with the expectation that they will pay full subscription price for interrupted service and cheerfully provide constant bug reports on those occasions they actually get in.
GeeBee
Backwater Redux
Tactical Narcotics Team
#216 - 2016-09-10 16:47:06 UTC
how about adding some of the security features to the exefile.exe launch and leave it as an option?

I downloaded the new launcher today and saw the news there. I prefer using the *launchers* to patch which is to me what their intended feature is. I run dual monitors in fullscreen windowed mode and bypassing the launchers is the best way to use both monitors quickly and easily without headache.

Also as a veteran player there is a lot of nostalgia from this type of launching, the login screen is nearly the same as when i first started playing back in 2005. Scrapping this type of login rather than updating it is sad and insulting.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#217 - 2016-09-10 16:59:26 UTC
GeeBee wrote:
how about adding some of the security features to the exefile.exe launch and leave it as an option?

I downloaded the new launcher today and saw the news there. I prefer using the *launchers* to patch which is to me what their intended feature is. I run dual monitors in fullscreen windowed mode and bypassing the launchers is the best way to use both monitors quickly and easily without headache.

Also as a veteran player there is a lot of nostalgia from this type of launching, the login screen is nearly the same as when i first started playing back in 2005. Scrapping this type of login rather than updating it is sad and insulting.



umm, to run in full screen mode with two seperate accounts:

start the launcher. log in with both accounts.

(the next few steps are done once)
hit the cog on the line for one of the accounts.
pick 'manage profiles'
create a new profile.
Maybe rename your profiles (like 'left screen' and 'right screen')
close the manage profile window.
Using the cog on each account, pick the profile you want.
Start an account. Set it up (on the correct screen). Exit.
Start the second account. Set it up (on the correct screen) exit.

Then, when you start accounts, it'll start them on the screen you want.



If you've already got the profiles created from the exe file, you may see them on the left hand side, under 'migrate old accounts'. If so, select them, and hit copy. you'll probably want to rename them. That saves redoing the configuration.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

HeXxploiT
Doomheim
#218 - 2016-09-10 18:13:28 UTC  |  Edited by: HeXxploiT
You guys really suck. This will mean yet again about 5 hours of work per account to fix all my quickbar items, links and settings.
And of course the launcher still looks crappy and unifinished having some items obscuring others which means we'll do this all yet again a year from now.

You guys really need to learn the value of simplicity & intuitiveness.
Muul Udonii
THORN Syndicate
Northern Coalition.
#219 - 2016-09-10 20:49:45 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
CCP Darwin wrote:
Muul Udonii wrote:
CCP have ignored all bug reports I filed.

Please do not assume this is the case.

We are not assuming anything. We base this conclusion on one very observable fact:

The bugs do not get fixed.



+1. The launcher STILL fails for me.

And yes, I submitted all logs, and even petitioned it when I thought removing the old launcher support would mean i could no longer patch. Fortunately the old launcher still patches and I can use the EXEFILE to launch the game.
enotsmirb
Ezekiel 25 17
#220 - 2016-09-11 03:56:43 UTC
Well let me tell you what happened today with your launcher!

I logged in and my resolution was completely wrong and caused me monitor to go black due to out of sync refresh. I managed to reboot and after screwing with it 3 more times I got in with no sync issues. I am in the middle of clearing out a den in my faction ship and I suddenly lose control of my ship ( launchers wouldn't launch shield boosters wouldn't boost). I lost my ship. 1 bill gone because of your launcher.

Seems your launcher decided after I was already in the game to verify all of the game files using all 12.1Mbps of my internet bandwidth... The game launcher caused it's own program to lag out for christ sake!

Re-think this Your stand alone launcher is not ready. In my case the launcher didn't even check to make sure the client was not running before verifying files. Also why would any launcher/updater not have a qos (quality of service) to ensure it does not use 100% bandwidth? All I can say is good luck because "ain't nobody got time for that"!