These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Matari: Where are we now and where are we headed?

Author
Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#141 - 2016-09-09 15:29:52 UTC
We still have someone who represents all the Tribes as a whole. What did you think the Sanmatar rank is for?

Also where had you been during the Tribal Council era? It seems like as soon as the Parliament was dissolve you bugged off to the Federation or something.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Arrendis
TK Corp
#142 - 2016-09-09 15:44:13 UTC
I'll also make a joke out of your tendency to sign your posts. See? Just did.

And yes, I can seriously tell you that the Tribal leadership is competent. They are competent, and they are motivated. That doesn't mean they're always going to be successful, though, and each Tribe has their own issues to work on and resolve to get our own houses in order.

Who, exactly, do you think was trying to represent 'us as a whole' in the Parliament? Representatives pandering to their small chunk of the populace? The Prime Minister who was hamstrung and unable to push any serious agenda because of the Parliament?

Representative Republics don't have anyone trying to represent the whole of the people. If they're lucky, they have dedicated servants representing the interests of their particular constituents. If they're not, they have power-hungry snakes trying to thow enough pork back home to keep the rubes fat, happy, and voting for them.

What the Amarr owe us, they can never repay. They can never give us back a thousand years of continuity and the wholeness and maturity of the culture they savaged. You seem to think the political, economic, and yes, military efforts directed at the Amarr are about us. They're not. They're about those still in bondage.

And I don't mean the kinky kind, either.

Go tell a two-year-old child who's never known anything but slavery that she has to wait for you to feel all secure and comfy before she can expect you to get up off your butt and help her.

Your vision of some 'unified Minmatar people' is exactly the sort of fictional claptrap I was talking about when I said this:

Quote:
many, especially outside the Tribes, see the Tribal Council as a step backwards. They think it is a step we must take right now, to get our unruly Clans in order, and that when we are 'civilized' enough, we can then move back toward a stronger central authority.

We must reject that. We must reject that so clearly that we reject the very 'Republican' label. We are not governed by a legislative body of elected representatives. We are governed by a simple gathering where the leaders of each member-state, each autonomous Tribe, discuss matters, and come to a consensus on how the whole should proceed. This gathering is not needed to make rulings on who trades with who, or who holds what property rights where, or how any given member-group should deal with the issues that it grapples with. It is only needed for those times when we must act as one people. It is a confederation at best, not a Republic.

Your vision has existed. And do you remember what the 'unified Minmatar people' did?

We chose to reject the idea of a 'unified Minmatar people' as a day-to-day concept. We come together when we must, but the rest of the time...

Stop trying to make us into your little fantasy of another Gallente Federation. You live there, and you want us all to be more like them. That's fine. It's good to want things. That doesn't mean you'll get it. Their ways are not our ways, and we have said so, even in a way they should understand.
Tristan Valentina
Moira.
#143 - 2016-09-09 15:48:19 UTC
I was in the Federation and a Federal citizen long before the parliament was dissolved. Yes we do have someone who represents the tribes as a whole but they have done nothing. I had a paragraph here but my thoughts don't sit well in text.

Tristan Valentina
Arrendis
TK Corp
#144 - 2016-09-09 15:53:19 UTC
Tristan Valentina wrote:
Yes we do have someone who represents the tribes as a whole but they have done nothing.

Nothing!?

The Sanmatar has done so much nothing that when it comes to the issue of peace between the Empire and the Tribes,

Mitara Newelle wrote:
I am confident Amarr would be satisfied with but one person - Shakor.

Because he's done nothing.

Elmund, I know these are the people you privateer for (see? Some of us remember!), but some days they really do make me think Kim might almost not be completely rabid.
Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#145 - 2016-09-09 16:12:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
Arrendis wrote:

Elmund, I know these are the people you privateer for (see? Some of us remember!), but some days they really do make me think Kim might almost not be completely rabid.

*Shrug* They pay well and their contested territories are stable enough that I always have something to plunder. But otherwise, well, I believe you know of my opinions about the Federation, yes?

Federation, or at least the Gallente, can't help but flap the gab. The price of democracy and putting the individual above the collective, I suppose. Never have that problem with the Mannar, Caldari or Jin-Mei.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Arrendis
TK Corp
#146 - 2016-09-09 16:24:55 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:
Never have that problem with the Mannar, Caldari or Jin-Mei.

I'll say this for my time in Inoue, the Caldari definitely knew when to shut the blazes up and not stick their noses into other folks' business.

And Pieter, I won't tell you to stop laughing (because I'm sure you are, right now), but that you for having the discretion to not record a loop of it and hit 'send'.Roll
Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#147 - 2016-09-09 16:35:46 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
And Pieter, I won't tell you to stop laughing (because I'm sure you are, right now), but that you for having the discretion to not record a loop of it and hit 'send'.Roll

I've become quite fond of you over the last month, Arrendis. You're horrendous, but you're my sort of horrendous.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Arrendis
TK Corp
#148 - 2016-09-09 16:42:00 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
I've become quite fond of you over the last month, Arrendis. You're horrendous, but you're my sort of horrendous.

Well, you know, Goons tend to grow on you...

... like a fungus.
Felise Selunix
Keyholder Investment Group
#149 - 2016-09-09 20:41:48 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
Felise Selunix wrote:
I like the idea of an independent state for free Matari with Amarr beliefs. The rub is that it has to be completely independent and I think all Matari of that type would have to locate there from the Empire.

And yet, for us to require the freed slaves to do that would be to deny them their freedom. We'd just be locking them into a different slave pen. Instead, we'd need to require that their options be 'stay in the Empire as citizen if they wish' or 'go someplace else'. A free person can, after all, choose to be a slave. They simply can't take it back.

Oh no doubt. I couldn't imagine actually foisting this onto anyone. It would collapse within a day, sheeh. Can you imagine. I just thought it might make for a useful opt-in solution to the problems that you brought up vis-a-vis self-determination. I guessed I imagined it as a two-step process: a) universal Matari emancipation throughout the Empire (which I would imagine would be politically untenable) and then b) in reaction to that political response, a place where those Matari can exercise that freedom without political and economic discrimination. It's a silly idea, I know, but given the expected political reaction to automatic and universal Matari sufferage, it seems that some sort of separation policy would be pretty hard to avoid if what you said here to Jason is accurate (and I believe it to be):

Arrendis wrote:
Don't bother. She's had a week to even respond to that simple concept, and hasn't. As much as I do respect Lady Newelle, I have a feeling the idea of respecting a slave population's natural rights to self-determination and agency is a thing even some of the most liberal Amarr can only blink at, uncomprehendingly.

Actually think that the solution that you presented is the more elegant and I'd imagine the psychologically satisfying option for anyone faced with that choice. We've seen the trauma that emancipation and relocation can bring and the plan that I came proposed mandatory or voluntary, would ratchet all of that up to 11. I just don't think that slaves will be given the option to 'stay in the Empire as citizens if they wish' at least not on a universal scale. I think Jamyl's proclamation is as good as it ever going to get there.

The other problem I see is that freedom has to be experienced before it can be exercised in any legitimate way. If I've had a slave who's known nothing but slavery and one day walk up and say 'You're free!' Will that actually mean anything to the slave? I can't imagine that it would mean a whole lot at first, particularly if one's slavery hasn't been too obviously uncomfortable, which is the case with many slaves working in bureaucratic or academic capacities. After awhile sure, you get a handle on it, push a few boundaries, make some political noise and get a feel for it, but it takes awhile. I haven't met an emancipated Matari who's still not coming to grips with this in some way shape or form. Then again, those Matari seem to be making some headway with it, so maybe freedom in place is viable universally. I just think that it would take a big commitment on the Empire's part in terms of political and economic structures to make it meaningful.

I dunno, I'm rambling. It's a big problem and I tend to think that I know more than I do, especially once I start gulping down these cocktails without eating any dinner. This is a great discussion though. Who knew that asking a question in a fit of self-righteousness could turn out so well?

And I think this:

Arrendis wrote:

Well, you know, Goons tend to grow on you...

... like a fungus.
should totally be your new slogan. It's quite true Cool

Jason Galente
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#150 - 2016-09-10 09:26:53 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
When you get right down to it, few on either side talk much about giving the Matari slaves the opportunity to decide for themselves where their loyalty lies.

Yes, everyone thinks they know what's best for the slave. Even the supposed liberators. How ironic... Though I guess it makes sense when you realize that all relevant parties are themselves empires and are quite used to viewing even their own free citizens as numbers and assets.

Only the liberty of the individual assures the prosperity of the whole. And this foundation must be defended.

At any cost

Arnulf Ogunkoya
Clan Ogunkoya
Electus Matari
#151 - 2016-09-10 09:46:23 UTC
I think I can live with the idea of people who practice the Amarr faith being a part of Minmatar society.

If, and only if, the mainstream of the faith gives up on the idea that locking potential converts away from any alternative views is a valid way of evangelising. It isn't, it's just a brainwashing technique. If a philosophy or way of life can't convince people to stick with it when alternatives are available and properly understood then it's not worth the time taken to learn about it.

I agree that Republic might not be the most accurate description of the current Minmatar polity. But it's a known brand name so I can't see why we should waste a lot of money changing the names on the letterheads and uniforms.

I was less than thrilled by the way the current regime took power. But I do feel the council is a good thing, and that a great deal of recognition is due for bringing the last two tribes back to us, and for strengthening ties with the Thukker.

On the other hand, whoever has been advising the council on diplomacy with the Federation is an idiot. At least if the fights in Colelie are anything to go by.

Regards, Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#152 - 2016-09-10 10:43:10 UTC
Colelie is a stupid event decided upon by stupid hotheaded people with more fury than sense. Hope we never have a repeat of that.

Tabor Murn
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#153 - 2016-09-10 15:18:47 UTC
Stupid, hotheaded, and we got exactly what we wanted while still retaining our allies in the long run...

Colelie was success in my book.
Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#154 - 2016-09-10 15:23:43 UTC
Tabor Murn wrote:
Stupid, hotheaded, and we got exactly what we wanted while still retaining our allies in the long run...

You do realise how tenuous the alliance was for a while after Colelie, right? It's only thanks to cooler heads and the hostilities with the Amarr Empire and the Caldari State that the alliance held after that stunt. I do not call that success, I call that luck.

Tabor Murn
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#155 - 2016-09-10 15:28:08 UTC
I think the alliance needed a bit of tension to remind both parties that we are our own sovereign entities with sometimes very different values.
Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#156 - 2016-09-10 15:31:18 UTC
Tabor Murn wrote:
I think the alliance needed a bit of tension to remind both parties that we are our own sovereign entities with sometimes very different values.

Not at the expense of capital ships and their crew.

Tabor Murn
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#157 - 2016-09-10 15:36:42 UTC
My wife fought in that battle and has struggled with the losses, but I couldn't be prouder of her for being there and fighting for what is right. A few dreadnaughts is actually a cheap price to pay to assuage the collective grief of Trillions.
Kolodi Ramal
Sanxing Yi
#158 - 2016-09-10 20:16:58 UTC
Tabor Murn wrote:
My wife fought in that battle and has struggled with the losses, but I couldn't be prouder of her for being there and fighting for what is right. A few dreadnaughts is actually a cheap price to pay to assuage the collective grief of Trillions.

I wonder if the many families of those who died on both sides agree.
Teinyhr
Ourumur
#159 - 2016-09-10 21:20:20 UTC
Tabor Murn wrote:

The Colelie Incident achieved absolutely nothing but disgracing Karin Midular's memory.
Tabor Murn
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#160 - 2016-09-10 21:57:07 UTC
absolutely nothing except Broteau being turned over to Tribal justice. It's nice to whinge in hindsight about the loss of life, but if the Republic did nothing, those who claim to honor Karin Midular's legacy would ***** that nothing was done. The Sanmatar showed that day how unified the tribes really are in spite of our differences.