These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

opt-in local

Author
Jebediah Shekel Stein
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-08-19 20:09:13 UTC
I think eve would be a lot better off with imperfect Intel.

Null bears gonna raise a hissy fit about making null not worth it. Its a double edged sword though a PvP won't know about your defenses or if anyone is even there.

Its too easy to get Intel on other groups and its not a terribly engaging mechanic. Its even less engaging than links. At least make me go to station or d scan to figure out what's going on in a system.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2016-08-19 20:18:37 UTC
How ,many times do we need to have 'remove local' threads put up?

Learn. To. Search. The. Forums.
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2016-08-19 22:20:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Celthric Kanerian
Danika Princip wrote:
How ,many times do we need to have 'remove local' threads put up?

What a silly question to be asking Danika, you should know better Blink

But yeah, this topic is getting old...er.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#4 - 2016-08-20 02:42:07 UTC
Yes for the thousandth time. And yes the next thousand.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Trespasser
S0utherN Comfort
#5 - 2016-08-20 03:33:40 UTC
local will never get removed from k-space, it shouldn't. Its been a staple since the game started.

If you want gameplay without local feel free to head into wormhole space and pvp.. no local.

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#6 - 2016-08-20 08:14:35 UTC
I thought the local channel is for smack talking or asking for directions when you are unfamiliar with your current location.

Pfff, and I am the paranoid one..

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#7 - 2016-08-20 14:00:06 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
I thought the local channel is for smack talking or asking for directions when you are unfamiliar with your current location.

Pfff, and I am the paranoid one..

Well, some others play the lottery and even charitably give double or more back to people willing to offer their vote of trust to complete strangers. See, local can be a good thing sometimes.

Sarcasm aside, at this point I'm going to place a neutral vote of saying I'd be fine with either a local system staying as is or changing to adopt some system implementing delayed information. I don't know, maybe things like player ID, what alliance or corp they are from, even their sec status or whether they are a war target and the such can all be given their own form of gate cloak or something. My only thought is that something like that as opposed to just outright removal of local keeps local for what it is meant to be at least, but allows for some rather nefarious and sneaky ninja movement as well.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#8 - 2016-08-20 14:59:44 UTC
Just say no to the repeat of a really bad idea.

Worm holes are for those who are allergic to local.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#9 - 2016-08-20 16:16:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
OP...you dp know opt in means kind of like you option if you want and and opt out if your don't, right?

Some we can assume in 0.0 /low se/wh will.....you know...opt in.

Not liking that there are options Dreaded afk cloaky, or t3 say hi........ either of these tend to set them off. Got the isk t3 your best bet.

Somehow peeps who have a pve and pvp carrier....can't seem to find the isk for t3. Then they post nerf t3 threada.
Merchant Rova
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2016-08-25 17:19:13 UTC
Jebediah Shekel Stein wrote:
I think eve would be a lot better off with imperfect Intel.

Null bears gonna raise a hissy fit about making null not worth it. Its a double edged sword though a PvP won't know about your defenses or if anyone is even there.

Its too easy to get Intel on other groups and its not a terribly engaging mechanic. Its even less engaging than links. At least make me go to station or d scan to figure out what's going on in a system.

move to wormholes....
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#11 - 2016-08-25 17:39:40 UTC
It keeps coming up because it's the right thing to do. Personal freedom took 1000s of years to become accepted, but in the end it was the right thing. No local is an easy equivalent to personal freedom on quite a few levels.

Keep up the tension laddybucks victory is coming!
Angry Onions
League of Angered Gentlemen
#12 - 2016-08-25 17:42:34 UTC
If CCP takes out local then how do I tell the other fleet to fight me?

S H I T P O S T I N G

Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#13 - 2016-08-25 18:08:01 UTC
Angry Onions wrote:
If CCP takes out local then how do I tell the other fleet to fight me?

It's not about removing local from the game. It's about removing the free intel from local.

Now: You can see everyone that is in system in the local chat window. This allows bots to see the change (+1 players) in local if someone jumps into their dead end and hell bubbled system and allows the botting macro to warp the botting fleet to safety. It removes all risk from living in null. A player needs only to watch local and if the number changes (+1 player) they can quickly scan the local list for any non blues and warp off to safety. It is the poison that allows 'dock up if there is a non blue in local' and 'dock up and wait them out' policies. It's a tool used by sov null leaderships to train their new pilots to avoid risk. It's the crutch that allows risk averse players to farm in safety in the 'allegedly dangerous' sov null regions of space. It's the great enabler that has allowed sov null to descend from a robust and thriving pvp play land into it's current corporate sponsored farming communities. All the ultra large coalitions cling to it claiming 'subscriptions will be cancelled' if it is removed from the game - acknowledging the risk aversion that has slowly but surely and utterly completely permeated that part of the game. It's cheaper (free) and more effective (100% accurate) than a cyno jammer at keeping the daily farming operations that are what sov null has become firing on all cylinders.

Tip: You will never see a large comfy coalition member supporting the removal of free intel from local. It's the snuggly warm huggy blanky they wrap their day to day operations in.

So to be clear - local stays, but the free intel gets removed.
Raphael Deimatar
Cynosural Samurai
#14 - 2016-08-27 10:25:44 UTC
go live in a wormhole