These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

New Bro Destroyer Question

Author
Roman Manowar
House of Black Lanterns
Black Lanterns
#1 - 2016-08-08 02:44:42 UTC
49 year old player from the US, Eastern TZ. Taking a break from ED to try out EvE.
I had a question about destroyers. People are telling me to get a destroyer like Catalyst for Sisters Arc. I like the looks of the Tactical Destroyers better.

Are they all pretty decent for pvp as well? One favored more over the others?
I'd like to get into some small gang pvp and terrorize some folks.

If anyone has some fits or ideas, hit me up with them.

Thanks!
Cara Forelli
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#2 - 2016-08-08 03:40:14 UTC
People are recommending the catalyst because it's cheap and "sufficient" for the sisters arc. The tactical destroyers are quite strong right now, particularly in pvp. However, they're more expensive to lose and you WILL lose ships often as you learn.

If your interest is PVP just skip the arc and look for a corp to join that does small gang stuff. You'll have a much easier time learning to PVP with some friends. They can also give you some suggestions on fitting and tactics on a budget. No reason to waste time derping around in boring missions if you know you'd rather be shooting other players. Newbros can be effective in PVP on day 1 if they have a little guidance.

I recommend you hold off on the tactical destroyer until you're somewhat comfortable with pvp. Fly frigates and keep it cheap while you learn. Don't worry, almost all the skills you train will apply to T3Ds as well so you'll be improving your ability to fly them as you practice!

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#3 - 2016-08-08 04:16:17 UTC
First: Welcome to EVE!

Second: You are going to hear this a lot about pretty every ship in the game; "it depends."

Tech 1 Destroyers are basically slower, slightly beefier frigates with WAY more "punching power." If you train up their respective weapon system a bit then they should all be able to get you through the Sisters of EvE Epic Arc with only slight difficulty.

With regards to the Tactical Destroyers (see: Tech 3 Destroyers)...
They are indeed better than the regular Tech 1 ships of their class. But...
- they are also A LOT more expensive (see: 1-2 million versus 60 to 80 million),
- require more skills to get into (I believe Destroyer level 5),
- need higher skill levels to get the most out of (see: with low weapon skills, the difference in "punching power" between and T3 and T1 Destroyer will not be that significant).
- the insurance payout (see: the payout the game gives you when you die) is not that good for "high-end" ships. You will get more "bang for your buck" if you die in a Tech 1 ship.


Now in general... all ships can be effectively used in PvP. They simply can't be used in all roles as it is impossible to fit for every tactic and countermeasure.
Specialization is king here.

However, as a newbie you are given the benefit of the doubt and can experiment to see what works and what you like. Don't be scared... don't wait for your skills to be at "max level" (this is not that kind of game)... and, most importantly, be social.
Having friends and allies in EVE will help you ways that no amount of skillpoints or experience ever can.
Roman Manowar
House of Black Lanterns
Black Lanterns
#4 - 2016-08-08 05:15:11 UTC
Thank you both for the replies. I'm the eager new bro trying to do my homework and learn the game more.
I guess I should try out the cheap ships first, like Condor and try to fill some specialized role with some mates. Or even try that blackbird I was reading about as an e-war support ship?
Wombat65Au Egdald
R I S E
#5 - 2016-08-08 05:32:24 UTC
Roman Manowar wrote:
49 year old player from the US, Eastern TZ. Taking a break from ED to try out EvE.
I had a question about destroyers. People are telling me to get a destroyer like Catalyst for Sisters Arc. I like the looks of the Tactical Destroyers better.

Are they all pretty decent for pvp as well? One favored more over the others?
I'd like to get into some small gang pvp and terrorize some folks.

If anyone has some fits or ideas, hit me up with them.

Thanks!


As ShahFluffers says, tactical destroyers are a more advanced type of ship.
For the price of one tactical destroyer you could buy many, regular destroyers. Some of your skills are going to need to be much higher just to get a tactical destroyer out of the station and into space compared to a regular destroyer.

Ultimately, which ships you choose to fly is something you get the final decision on. If you really want to be flying a tactical destroyer as soon as possible, you can. The only way the game will block you from doing that is because there are certain skills you must train up to certain levels before your character can operate a tactical destroyer. As long as you have the rights skills trained up to the right level, you are capable of flying any ship you want.

On the other hand, just having the skills alone won't allow you to get the most out of an advanced ship. Knowing how to use the ship effectively in different situations is just as important as having the skills needed to make the ship fly. Tactical destroyers and tactical cruisers are very flexible and adaptable ships, but part of what makes them so strong is knowing how to use them in a variety of different situations. Spending some time in a regular destroyer could save you from making an expensive mistake while you're still learning.

It's your isk and your time, fly whatever ship you want to fly, but be aware that you will not be able to fly an advanced ship like a pro straight away. You can easily make mistakes that cause your ship to explode because you've overestimated yourself (been there, done that). You'll be doing your in-game wallet a favour by making those mistakes in cheaper ships to begin with.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#6 - 2016-08-08 05:57:33 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Roman Manowar wrote:
I guess I should try out the cheap ships first, like Condor and try to fill some specialized role with some mates.

Heh... keep in mind that "Cheap ships" never become obsolete in this game. There are more than a few veterans who routinely fly these ships because they are simply good at what they do for the price they offer.

With regards to Condors... they are typically fitted as "scout"/"interception" ships that excel at going fast and staying above the fray.
The tradeoff is that they are a bit "paper-thin" compared to other frigates. So look into maximizing what it is good at to get the most out of it.

Roman Manowar wrote:
Or even try that blackbird I was reading about as an e-war support ship?

Indeed.

Each race has a "support ship" that excels at a particular form of Electronic Warfare (see: de-buffs).

The Blackbird is geared towarding using ECM... which is a module that "jams" a target's sensors so it cannot lock any targets. Be warned though that the odds of achieving a "jam" are based on probability (see: it is governed by a Random Number Generator). So they is always a possibility that it will fail to "jam out" a ship.

Look into the Griffin. It is the Frigate version of the Blackbird.
Roman Manowar
House of Black Lanterns
Black Lanterns
#7 - 2016-08-08 07:39:47 UTC
I just want something fast and furious with dps to mess up someones day Pirate
I've learned in other games, bigger isn't always baddest. fast and agile ships usually work best.

I will try some things out and see what fits my game play style I guess.
Appreciate the helpful advice!
Memphis Baas
#8 - 2016-08-08 12:23:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
This is a strategy game, so it's less about activating a sequence of weapons (powers) to achieve success, and a lot more about bringing the correct units (ships) to the fight. Certain ships trump other ships (destroyers destroy frigates, for example), and if you bring the correct ship, you'll win.

Everyone you attack can easily request the help of his friends over chat or voice-comms, so mostly it won't be a solo game. Going back to the strategy, that means you have to bring the correct shipS (and thus you have to have your friends there with you). So this is why we recommend joining a corp so you can learn PVP as part of a fleet, and learn the group strategies.

It makes it easier, because then your ship will have a smaller role in the fight, because your friends will cover the other roles (tank, dps, tackle/stun, scout, repair, etc.).

And there is no solopwnmobile in EVE. Every single ship has glaring weaknesses that will get it killed; all they have to do to kill you is bring the nemesis/counter ship to yours.

So, frigates -> destroyers -> cruisers -> battlecruisers -> battleships will get you exposed to the different combat styles. Frigates are fast, cruisers are slower but shielded, battleships are high-dps bricks. You're not wasting skill points training them, you're building a tool belt where you can pull out any ship, given a situation, and apply it. Each character in this game is the equivalent of a full account worth of tanks, healers, and dps'ers in other games.

The T1 basic ships are very versatile, that's their gimmick. Good in almost every situation. People fly these ships alot, because you don't know ahead of time what configuration of enemies you'll face, so you bring a versatile kit.

The advanced T2 ships are super-specialized: interceptors for example are soo fast, good tacklers, but if you ever make the mistake of standing still, or if anyone gets a single lucky shot to hit you, you're dead. T2 ships are super-specialized tools, typically used in fleets where every fleet member has a job to do. You need at least an idea of what you'll be facing, for this kind of fleet to work.

And T3 ships are advanced, expensive, gimmick ships; they have a built-in ability that you're supposed to use. You need a fleet of friends to pre-condition the battle scene so you can apply that specific gimmick from your ship. So these are best used once you know the game and how to completely control each fight with your tactics.
Roenok Baalnorn
Baalnorn Heavy Industries
#9 - 2016-08-08 13:00:47 UTC
Roman Manowar wrote:
I just want something fast and furious with dps to mess up someones day Pirate
I've learned in other games, bigger isn't always baddest. fast and agile ships usually work best.

I will try some things out and see what fits my game play style I guess.
Appreciate the helpful advice!


That is true of eve as well. Ships in eve tend to fill roles rather than be all purpose vessels. The bigger ships are not necessarily better. If you plan to solo pvp, i would point out that eve is not designed to play solo and ships in eve can be difficult to solo pvp in effectively. Its possible to do but your target selection on what you can kill is very limited while even a small gang( and gangs are far more common) can easily take you out.

"Classes" of ships and their uses are"
*Frigates-Fast, agile, low dps,uses speed to negate most damage. Often used for tackle( to catch and hold other ships). Great for a fast moving gang. Tackle is always needed in a gang. Being the cheapest class, they are the cheapest ships to pvp in. Frigates in numbers can be deadly to even a capital ship

*Destroyer - Slightly beefier and slower than frigates. They are still quite fast and are often used as tackle or support tackle, in small fast gangs. More dps but still squishy. They are also fairly cheap.

* Cruisers - probably the most used and most balanced class wise. Cruisers are that middle point between dps/tank/speed/utility. Not quite as fast but still decently agile. they can pack a bit of punch. and some variants can tank like a battleship. They are the most used because of the sheer number of different ships and because of the balance between dps/tank/speed/utility. The t1 versions are pretty cheap yet but the t2 and t3 versions will put a dent in the wallet.

* Battlecruisers- Battlecruisers are of limited use in pvp right now. There are very few people flying them as doctrine ships. They are more tanky than cruisers with more dps but they are nearly as slow as battleships especially when you start fitting plates to them. They are used more so at the moment as a cheap PVE precursor to a battleship.

* Battleships are big and slow. They can pack a lot of firepower but will have a hard time hitting small fast targets. The are the most tanky of the sub caps generally speaking. Their size and lack of agility and poor ability to hit smaller targets make them of limited use in pvp. Usually they are used in alliance warfare for bashing structures and as a sub capital fleet against capitals. They have been used effectively solo with great skills.

* Capitals and super capitals are pretty much for alliance warfare though some people have been known to solo pvp in a carrier. They can tank a lot and dish out a lot. But they are easy to catch and usually a gang of ships will pile in to kill one.

Ships also have tech levels which we can t1, t2, t3. They are as follows:

* T1- Low skill version. Limited abilities. You can think of this as the base model for a car. They are good to learn the game in. Cheap to lose but performance is generally unimpressive at best.

*T2- Pricey but the performance increase is worth it. T2 ships are pretty role specific and will shine in their role. They shine the most when they are set up for a specific purpose( tackle, dps, ewar, etc) in a fleet. rather than trying to cover multiple roles.

T3- The most flexible of ships. T3 destroyers are really good right now. T3 cruisers are like the swiss army knife of eve. The cruisers can be fitted to do many roles well...just not all at once.

Pirate/navy faction - pirate and navy faction ships are really popular for pvp now. Their price varies. Many fall in the price range between t1 and t2 of that class of ships though some exceed the t2 price. Pirate/Navy faction ship offer ( usually) great performance. They dont require a lot of specialized skills to fly like t2 and t3 but the pirate( not the navy) require dual training into two different races and sometimes into two different weapon systems. Pirate and navy ships are better for solo pvp than t2 ships in my opinion.

You also have a similar setup to modules. t1> meta level( these are just named t1 modules such as "50Mn YT-8 compact microwarpdrive") > t2 modules > faction modules( these are marked with a green tag in the corner of their portrait ( such as Domination 50mn microwarpdrive) > deadspace modules ( these will be c,b,a or x type modules) marked with a blue tag in the corner of their portrait > officer mods marked with a purple tag in the corner of the portrait.

T1 named and t2 are the most used for pvp. though faction and deadspace are also used often now. You will rarely see an officer mod in pvp unless its on a capital or the player is rich and likes to throw money away.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
The Watchmen.
#10 - 2016-08-08 20:10:27 UTC
My personal experience is that T1 destroyers need to either be hyper-specialized or so utility that you are willing to trade a lot of efficiency to make them work for you.

Destroyer is something of the last arrow I choose in the quiver. I either need quick, light, fast with a good punch (Frigate) or not as speedy with a heavier punch above its' weight (Cruiser). To me, where Destroyers shine is in the specialized roles, like ganking (Catalyst, as you mentioned is kind of the king of that), since they are either glass cannons or in the case of T3 versions, super awesome nasty customers but almost as expensive and hard to skill into as a higher end cruiser.

You've gotten good advice from the previous posters, however, don't forget about T1 cruisers as well. There are some ones out there that can almost give you destroyer speed, stronger hitting power, and they can take a hit better than any Destroyer short of the advanced ones. They are also almost as cheap as the destroyers.
Roman Manowar
House of Black Lanterns
Black Lanterns
#11 - 2016-08-08 22:25:33 UTC
After reading all the comments, I decided to train up for a Stabber. I like that its cheap enough to buy a lot to fly and die. But it has speed and DPS to hunt frigates and destroyers. I think it will be a good platform to learn on while flying with a corp learning some pvp.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#12 - 2016-08-08 22:44:14 UTC
Roman Manowar wrote:
After reading all the comments, I decided to train up for a Stabber. I like that its cheap enough to buy a lot to fly and die. But it has speed and DPS to hunt frigates and destroyers. I think it will be a good platform to learn on while flying with a corp learning some pvp.
Training for the Stabber also gives you access to the curiously awesome Thrasher, the old gank destroyer of choice.

Unlike the gank Catalyst which is a raw DPS ship the Thrasher is an Alpha strike ship, fitted with artillery it's handy for the one-shot popping of pods and shuttles if you want to cause some mischief; IIRC D400 and a trader successfully manipulated the implant market with one, and Solstice Project is well known for using one too.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Solecist Project
#13 - 2016-08-08 22:53:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Solecist Project
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Roman Manowar wrote:
After reading all the comments, I decided to train up for a Stabber. I like that its cheap enough to buy a lot to fly and die. But it has speed and DPS to hunt frigates and destroyers. I think it will be a good platform to learn on while flying with a corp learning some pvp.
Training for the Stabber also gives you access to the curiously awesome Thrasher, the old gank destroyer of choice.

Unlike the gank Catalyst which is a raw DPS ship the Thrasher is an Alpha strike ship, fitted with artillery it's handy for the one-shot popping of pods and shuttles if you want to cause some mischief; IIRC D400 and a trader successfully manipulated the implant market with one, and Solecist Project is well known for using one too.

Solstice is in horde doing whatever his owner does.
and he looks kind of fat......
anyhow thanks for mentioning.

d400 did that? nice! ^_^
i had no idea. :)


(ps: i invented the fitting. the first ever double-volley victim was a pilot of TEST ...
... sitting inside the gate, advertising his alliance. cheers were had.)

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Roman Manowar
House of Black Lanterns
Black Lanterns
#14 - 2016-08-08 22:53:35 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Roman Manowar wrote:
After reading all the comments, I decided to train up for a Stabber. I like that its cheap enough to buy a lot to fly and die. But it has speed and DPS to hunt frigates and destroyers. I think it will be a good platform to learn on while flying with a corp learning some pvp.
Training for the Stabber also gives you access to the curiously awesome Thrasher, the old gank destroyer of choice.

Unlike the gank Catalyst which is a raw DPS ship the Thrasher is an Alpha strike ship, fitted with artillery it's handy for the one-shot popping of pods and shuttles if you want to cause some mischief; IIRC D400 and a trader successfully manipulated the implant market with one, and Solstice Project is well known for using one too.


insta lock people pods? id be a pod killer .. horrible title to have :P
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#15 - 2016-08-08 23:11:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Roman Manowar wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Roman Manowar wrote:
After reading all the comments, I decided to train up for a Stabber. I like that its cheap enough to buy a lot to fly and die. But it has speed and DPS to hunt frigates and destroyers. I think it will be a good platform to learn on while flying with a corp learning some pvp.
Training for the Stabber also gives you access to the curiously awesome Thrasher, the old gank destroyer of choice.

Unlike the gank Catalyst which is a raw DPS ship the Thrasher is an Alpha strike ship, fitted with artillery it's handy for the one-shot popping of pods and shuttles if you want to cause some mischief; IIRC D400 and a trader successfully manipulated the implant market with one, and Solstice Project is well known for using one too.


insta lock people pods? id be a pod killer .. horrible title to have :P
heh not insta-lock because you still have a lock time, a sensor booster with a scan resolution script and the signature analysis skill will cut that down.

It's Insta-pop; alpha strike means dealing enough damage to destroy something in one hit, an arty Thrasher can hit hard enough to do that to shuttles, pods and some frigates.

edit: You should know that if you do this in hisec to someone who isn't suspect, criminal or otherwise flagged, Concord will come and kick your arse and you'll lose some security status; killing pods loses more security status than killing ships, the consolation price is that, if you can beat someone to it, you can collect their corpse as a trophy

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
The Watchmen.
#16 - 2016-08-09 00:07:55 UTC
Yeah, with alpha you hope you insta-pop someone because if their tank holds up on you after the alpha, you got a problem on your hands.

DPS is also an issue because you can make a ship that does loads, but if your target can reduce you to scrap with one or two volleys, your DPS is irrelevant.

So there's the argument of the small ship century... to alpha or to dps! LOL!
Roman Manowar
House of Black Lanterns
Black Lanterns
#17 - 2016-08-09 00:24:06 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
Yeah, with alpha you hope you insta-pop someone because if their tank holds up on you after the alpha, you got a problem on your hands.

DPS is also an issue because you can make a ship that does loads, but if your target can reduce you to scrap with one or two volleys, your DPS is irrelevant.

So there's the argument of the small ship century... to alpha or to dps! LOL!


What weapons provide the DPS like that? Lasers? Rails?
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#18 - 2016-08-09 01:42:32 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Roman Manowar wrote:
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
Yeah, with alpha you hope you insta-pop someone because if their tank holds up on you after the alpha, you got a problem on your hands.

DPS is also an issue because you can make a ship that does loads, but if your target can reduce you to scrap with one or two volleys, your DPS is irrelevant.

So there's the argument of the small ship century... to alpha or to dps! LOL!


What weapons provide the DPS like that? Lasers? Rails?

Blasters will deal loads of DPS. Artillery deals high volley damage.

There are three primary weapon systems in the game.

Drones
Missiles
Turrets

Each of these systems has various sub-types. And some of these sub-types are broken down further.


Drones are probably the easiest to wrap your head around.
They come in four sizes;
- Small (frigate and destroyer)
- Medium (cruiser and battlecruiser)
- Large (battlecruiser and battleship)
- Fighter (capital ships and stations/starbases)

Beyond this, they come in several flavors;
- Combat
- Repair (as in, "repair another ship," not yours)
- Electronic Warfare
- Etc.

Unlike other weapon systems, their size denotes how effective they are against certain kinds of targets. The smaller the drone, the more effective it is against smaller targets.

Also unlike other weapon systems, pretty much every ship Cruiser-sized ship and larger relies on drones as a form of "point defense" against smaller ships.
(note: the larger the ship, the less able it can cope with smaller ships)


Missiles are also pretty easy to understand.
They have four sizes;
- Small (frigate and destroyer)
- Medium (cruiser and battlecruiser)
- Large (battlecruiser and battleship)
- Extra Large / Citadel (capital ships and station/starbases)

In each of these sizes, they can be broken down into two classes;
- Short Range: Rockets, Heavy Assault, Torpedos, Citadel Torpedos
- Long Range: Light Missiles, Rapid Light Missiles, Heavy Missiles, Cruise Missiles, Citadel Cruise Missiles

Missiles are distinctive in that they will always hit their targets so long as the target is within the missile's range.
However, the amount of damage applied to a target depends on how big it is relative to the missile hitting it (the same as with drones) and the speed of the target.
Example: if you are shooting at a Frigate, a light missile will deal more damage than a Torpedo. The reason for this is that the Torpedo is geared more towards hitting a larger, slower target.



Turrets are a little more complicated as they are used by more ship types and are broken down further and have a few more mechanics governing them.

In general, they are broken down in size the same way the other weapon systems are;
- Small (frigate and destroyer)
- Medium (cruiser and battlecruiser)
- Large (battlecruiser and battleship)
- Extra Large / Capital (capitals and stations/starbases)

After this, you can break them down by type.

Hybrids
Used on Gallente and Calrdai ships, hybrid weapons have clear-cut extremes in what they offer.
- Blasters: extreme short range, very high Damage Per Second, mediocre volley damage
- Railguns: extreme long range, low DPS, mediocre volley damage

Lasers
Used exclusively on Amarr ships, Laser weapons are interesting in that the line between short range and long range is a bit blurred. The crystal ammo they use can be swapped out instantly, allowing for quick range changes.
- Pulse Lasers: medium-short range , mediocre DPS, mediocre volley damage
- Beam Lasers; medium-long range, high DPS, low volley damage.

Projectiles
Used exclusively by Minmatar ships, Projectile weapons are similar to Hybrids in that they have some clear-cut extreme traits.
- Auto-cannons: medium-short range, mediocre DPS, low volley damage
- Artillery: medium-long range, low DPS, EXTREMELY high volley damage.


Tracking (see: application) is a bit trickier with turrets in that they take relative speed into account in addition to range.
To put it simply,
- if a target's trajectory is parallel to yours, the odds of scoring a hit increase (as long as you are in range)
- if a target's trajectory is perpendicular or "spiraling," the odds of scoring a hit decrease
Roman Manowar
House of Black Lanterns
Black Lanterns
#19 - 2016-08-09 04:58:02 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Roman Manowar wrote:
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
Yeah, with alpha you hope you insta-pop someone because if their tank holds up on you after the alpha, you got a problem on your hands.

DPS is also an issue because you can make a ship that does loads, but if your target can reduce you to scrap with one or two volleys, your DPS is irrelevant.

So there's the argument of the small ship century... to alpha or to dps! LOL!


What weapons provide the DPS like that? Lasers? Rails?

Blasters will deal loads of DPS. Artillery deals high volley damage.

There are three primary weapon systems in the game.

Drones
Missiles
Turrets

Each of these systems has various sub-types. And some of these sub-types are broken down further.


Drones are probably the easiest to wrap your head around.
They come in four sizes;
- Small (frigate and destroyer)
- Medium (cruiser and battlecruiser)
- Large (battlecruiser and battleship)
- Fighter (capital ships and stations/starbases)

Beyond this, they come in several flavors;
- Combat
- Repair (as in, "repair another ship," not yours)
- Electronic Warfare
- Etc.

Unlike other weapon systems, their size denotes how effective they are against certain kinds of targets. The smaller the drone, the more effective it is against smaller targets.

Also unlike other weapon systems, pretty much every ship Cruiser-sized ship and larger relies on drones as a form of "point defense" against smaller ships.
(note: the larger the ship, the less able it can cope with smaller ships)


Missiles are also pretty easy to understand.
They have four sizes;
- Small (frigate and destroyer)
- Medium (cruiser and battlecruiser)
- Large (battlecruiser and battleship)
- Extra Large / Citadel (capital ships and station/starbases)

In each of these sizes, they can be broken down into two classes;
- Short Range: Rockets, Heavy Assault, Torpedos, Citadel Torpedos
- Long Range: Light Missiles, Rapid Light Missiles, Heavy Missiles, Cruise Missiles, Citadel Cruise Missiles

Missiles are distinctive in that they will always hit their targets so long as the target is within the missile's range.
However, the amount of damage applied to a target depends on how big it is relative to the missile hitting it (the same as with drones) and the speed of the target.
Example: if you are shooting at a Frigate, a light missile will deal more damage than a Torpedo. The reason for this is that the Torpedo is geared more towards hitting a larger, slower target.



Turrets are a little more complicated as they are used by more ship types and are broken down further and have a few more mechanics governing them.

In general, they are broken down in size the same way the other weapon systems are;
- Small (frigate and destroyer)
- Medium (cruiser and battlecruiser)
- Large (battlecruiser and battleship)
- Extra Large / Capital (capitals and stations/starbases)

After this, you can break them down by type.

Hybrids
Used on Gallente and Calrdai ships, hybrid weapons represent clear-cut extremes in what they offer.
- Blasters: extreme short range, very high Damage Per Second, mediocre volley damage
- Railguns: extreme long range, low DPS, mediocre volley damage

Lasers
Used exclusively on Amarr ships, Laser weapons are interesting in that the line between short range and long range is a bit blurred. The crystal ammo they use can be swapped out instantly, allowing for quick range changes.
- Pulse Lasers: medium-short range , mediocre DPS, mediocre volley damage
- Beam Lasers; medium-long range, high DPS, low volley damage.

Projectiles
Used exclusively by Minmatar ships, Projectile weapons are similar to Hybrids in that they have some clear-cut extreme traits.
- Auto-cannons: medium-short range, mediocre DPS, low volley damage
- Artillery: medium-long range, low DPS, EXTREMELY high volley damage.


Tracking (see: application) is a bit trickier with turrets in that they take relative speed into account in addition to range.
To put it simply,
- if a target's trajectory is parallel to yours, the odds of scoring a hit increase (as long as you are in range)
- if a target's trajectory is perpendicular or "spiraling," the odds of scoring a hit decrease


Thanks for the great help. I'm in cruiser class with stabber, so I will cross train to fly a blackbird and try ewar too. I figure I could help in small gangs one way or another. more options!
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#20 - 2016-08-09 05:05:11 UTC
don't destroy new bros

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

12Next page