These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Need for Advanced Tutorials

First post
Author
Omar Ser-Amon
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2012-01-15 15:43:12 UTC
I liked the tutorials a lot and I think they help new players to understand a lot of concepts in the game.

However, there are lost of important aspects of the game that are not covered there, for example Research or Planetary Interaction. I understand that players can gather information about these from websites, youtube, chat rumors, etc. but it would be good to have some structured in-game introduction on them, similar to the current tutorials. Otherwise it's rather random if players learn how these important aspects of the game work (or, in the case of PI, that they even exist).
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-01-16 11:46:12 UTC
Totally agree, most of the questions new players have tend to be in the parts of EVE that doesn't have any tutorial at all: Research, more advanced production, PI and Corp searching / Player runned corps.

Give new players the ability to run such tutorials if they want too

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Hamster Too
Golden Fowl
#3 - 2012-01-16 16:00:36 UTC
Sorry, can't be done. Why?

Research: requires significant time and ISK investment to get into.

Advanced production (I assume you meant tech 2), again requires large amount of time and ISK.

Planetary Interaction, while cheap and quick to get into would require a game breaking feature: planets with decent amount of extractable resources that do not deplete.

Player run corporations? What would such a tutorial cover? You either roll your own corp and run it as you see fit or join someone's corporation and adhere to their rules (if any).

Corporation search? Again, what would such a tutorial teach? You open the search window, select the options that you feel that fit your play style, look at the results. There is no need for a tutorial for this, isn't it?

The tutorials are meant to be an introduction to basic concepts of the game and to give a start-up capital/ships. As such they do a good job. Advanced topics like research, T2/T3 production, trading are outside of their scope and of little utility to new players.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#4 - 2012-01-16 16:13:21 UTC
The ISK guide is a useful resource for most of this.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-01-16 17:33:37 UTC
Omar Ser-Amon wrote:
I liked the tutorials a lot and I think they help new players to understand a lot of concepts in the game.

However, there are lost of important aspects of the game that are not covered there, for example Research or Planetary Interaction. I understand that players can gather information about these from websites, youtube, chat rumors, etc. but it would be good to have some structured in-game introduction on them, similar to the current tutorials. Otherwise it's rather random if players learn how these important aspects of the game work (or, in the case of PI, that they even exist).

I agree 100%. it's unreasonable to expect your players to scour the internet to learn how to play a game, not to mention immersion breaking... Unfortunately you have no other option, so you will have to use the google my friend.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#6 - 2012-01-16 17:51:47 UTC
Well, there is a great deal of information in the Evelopedia.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#7 - 2012-01-17 13:48:15 UTC
Hamster Too wrote:

Corporation search? Again, what would such a tutorial teach? You open the search window, select the options that you feel that fit your play style, look at the results. There is no need for a tutorial for this, isn't it?

This is pretty good guide on finding a corp

Invalid signature format

ISD Arooga
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2012-01-17 17:31:59 UTC
Hi,

For the original OP, there are many, many aspects of EvE not covered in the tutorials. The crash course is designed to give a new player the very basics of driving around in a spaceship.

Once completed, there are the Career Agents, (accessable via the Help or f12 key under tutorials, at the bottom - career agents) which are, in effect, Advanced tutorials in more specific areas of the game.

After that, there are many detailed resources of information, using PI as an example, and I personally refer players to the eve wiki:

Wiki - http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Main_Page

New Players - http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Category:New_Player_Experience

Guides
- http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Category:Guides

and using the example

PI - http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Planetary_interaction

The other recommended, but optional follow on from the tutorials is join a player run corporation where you will receive help and more teamplay (generally).

I hope that helps and welcome to EvE.

Cool

STAR Executive

ISD STAR (Support Training and Resources)

Helping new players undock since 2003

ISD do not reply to EVE Mails or PMs to discuss moderation actions. Please contact Customer Support in those cases.